Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenishi
Nov 18, 2010
Creating a larger standing army and building a stronger defense industry are all things Abe/the LDP would like to see happen with the rewriting of the constitution. But he has no supermajority now so he won't be able to pull it off.

If I recall correctly, and I could be wrong. Abe wanted to put to vote a change to the current law so they can pass amendments to the constitution with a simple majority. It stands out to me because when I read about this in the news I remember thinking to me self that it was weird that to amend the constitution you need a supermajority, but the law that says you need this is something that can be changed a mere simple majority vote (or maybe it does need a supermajority vote to pass? Not sure.)

Either way, they are trying to be a bit sneaky in the process I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Kenishi posted:

Creating a larger standing army and building a stronger defense industry are all things Abe/the LDP would like to see happen with the rewriting of the constitution. But he has no supermajority now so he won't be able to pull it off.

If I recall correctly, and I could be wrong. Abe wanted to put to vote a change to the current law so they can pass amendments to the constitution with a simple majority. It stands out to me because when I read about this in the news I remember thinking to me self that it was weird that to amend the constitution you need a supermajority, but the law that says you need this is something that can be changed a mere simple majority vote (or maybe it does need a supermajority vote to pass? Not sure.)

Either way, they are trying to be a bit sneaky in the process I think.

One would assume that the procedures to change the constitution would be put down in the constitution itself, no?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

One would assume that the procedures to change the constitution would be put down in the constitution itself, no?
Yeah the proposal was to amend Article 96 to make future amendments easier, and Abe was trying to persuade the public to get on board with this, so it's a bit silly to call it "sneaky". It wasn't met with wild enthusiasm, however.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Reverend Cheddar posted:

things like Hulu haven't really picked up here
That's an unusually bold claim to make, given that - as far as I'm aware - Japan is the only other country in the world to have Hulu. It IS weird that NHK don't have an iPlayer equivalent though, given that it's just a clone of the BBC (and they have plenty of programmers / engineers!)

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's an unusually bold claim to make, given that - as far as I'm aware - Japan is the only other country in the world to have Hulu. It IS weird that NHK don't have an iPlayer equivalent though, given that it's just a clone of the BBC (and they have plenty of programmers / engineers!)

Remember that Japan still isn't a society which uses computers at home like we do. I guess I could sort of see it on smartphones but even still, despite the big posters in Shibuya I'm pretty sure most people would be like 'heeee watching TV on your computer is a thing?' I think the Netflix model would take off like a rocket though.

I've got Hulu Japan, it's got an okay selection. Good for Kodoku no Gurume marathons. Umai.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
And most of the population just watches boring old variety programs. People use TV functions on their devices a lot.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

hadji murad posted:

And most of the population just watches boring old variety programs. People use TV functions on their devices a lot.

What does the typical Japanese variety program entail? It just seems like a lost type of programming in this day and age (I guess SNL is sort of one?).

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ardennes posted:

What does the typical Japanese variety program entail? It just seems like a lost type of programming in this day and age (I guess SNL is sort of one?).

Basically, there is a studio with 5-8 chairs and in those chairs are:

1 x Comedian, Male
1 x Comedian, Female
1 x American MMA dude + translator
2-3 x Actress or Singers
4 x Members of some 90's (?) boy band

They then get shown clips of weird/funny things, and their reactions/comments are shown. They also eat stuff, and tell you how yummy it was.

The truly surreal thing is that they all look the same, and your immediate reaction is to assume that since you don't recognize the people that it is just you. Then your wife tells you that no, it really is the same 6 people on all 4 of those shows every night.

I only ever go to Japan around the Xmas holidays, which partially explains my experience with Japanese TV. It is oddly entertaining, even if you don't speak the language.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Beat Takeshi once admitted that he doesn't consider doing shows like that actual work, he just goes drunk and goes on stage and says stuff.

I read a long time ago that Japanese people watch significantly more TV than other developed countries, but it was a dubious source. I wonder if it's true? And if so, why is their TV so awful?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Beat Takeshi once admitted that he doesn't consider doing shows like that actual work, he just goes drunk and goes on stage and says stuff.

I read a long time ago that Japanese people watch significantly more TV than other developed countries, but it was a dubious source. I wonder if it's true? And if so, why is their TV so awful?
Is it worse than US broadcast TV?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

mystes posted:

Is it worse than US broadcast TV?
I thought American TV was poo poo when I left for Japan, but watching their TV made me appreciate it all over again, so yeah.

Also, there's an amazing gap between the quality of their COMMERCIALS and the show they are supporting. I heard tell that all the best directors in Japan want to direct commercials, and not TV shows or movies, since that's where the money is.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah, that sounds in a lot of ways identical to British panel quiz shows (which I adore).

And in America we just have lots of reality shows instead.

Nobody's broadcast TV is better than anybody else's, really.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The variety/"wide show" programs aren't actually panel games but Japan does have legitimate panel games including Shouten and some other ones that I can't quite remember.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Yeah, that sounds in a lot of ways identical to British panel quiz shows (which I adore).

And in America we just have lots of reality shows instead.

It's pretty close, but honestly, Japanese variety shows are worse than reality shows. Umai~~~

What I found bizarre was the complete lack of sex on any of their shows/commercials, at least during the day time (can't speak for if it changes at night or on some pay or obscure channels).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
edit: ^^wait what

British panel games are panel games in name only. I guess there's a bit more direction than just "lounging around" but

quote:

get shown clips of weird/funny things, and their reactions/comments are shown. They also eat stuff, and tell you how yummy it was.
and

quote:

Then your wife tells you that no, it really is the same 6 people on all 4 of those shows every night.
basically sound right on the money for them.

I'm sort of exaggerating but not really.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doesn't it at least have to pretend to have points to be a panel game? I was thinking like QI and that radio show with the nonsense imaginary subway game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koramei posted:

You think this, then you move to Asia and realize it is not true. I live in Korea, not Japan, but the TV is basically the same and it is utter garbage. It's incomprehensibly terrible. It makes Toddlers and Tiaras look like Shakespeare.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
The other reason you see the same people all the time is that networks will plug the everloving hell out of whatever drama of theirs is running. Back in the States, they would have a star or two from the show appear on talk shows and such, briefly plugging their show at the end, but over here every single one of the variety shows are tailored to accompany "guests". It's so painfully obvious that the actor could give a flying gently caress what the show is about. The MC always asks "Have you ever watched this show?", to which the correct response is "Yes, all the time!", followed by "Really?", and then everybody laughs. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've seen the same actor on 5 consecutive shows on the same channel on the same day! And, God forbid the drama get so popular that they make a movie version, because then they'll devote an entire goddamn WEEK to them.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
*Watches Japanese show*

*Watches Breaking Bad*

Yeah, no, gently caress Japan.

How about that third arrow, go abenomics!

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Xenophile that I am, I have surprised myself with my American exceptionalism about television. We have the best TV in the world. Bar none. :911: It's just true. I think the reason for that is the fact that we have a huge market, being the third most populous country in the world and by far the richest big market per capita, and we are forced to watch a poo poo ton of ads. Our comedies are only 22 minutes and dramas are 44 to allow for all those commercials that give us massive production budgets.

The other thing that makes American TV way better than East Asian (can't speak for other markets) is that we have a culture that values writers and pays them money. You'll laugh because of the WGA strike a few years ago and the general perception that writers are not well paid and whatever else, but it's still decades ahead of anything in Korea, Japan, HK, China et al. Have you ever heard someone in an Asian country say "I want to write for TV?" You haven't. Because that's not a real job. The horrible studios here have a room full of turkeys and typewriters that crap out the same medical drama, police show or soap opera about rich people being naughty every year forever.

I get particularly mad about this living in Hong Kong where one studio, TVB, dominates the market with literally (literally this is not an exaggeration) 90% of prime time market share, which means they fart out the worst tripe ever using the same 10 actors on slave contracts. The rest of Asia is a bit better, but they basically all copy the TVB model because they want their profit margins. They are enviable.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I'm watching Running Man right now and it's fantastic, you haters. :colbert:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Koramei posted:

I'm watching Running Man right now and it's fantastic, you haters. :colbert:

The chopstick detective (no, I won't google it's actual name) is a show you couldn't make in North America, so Japanese TV isn't all bad.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

The chopstick detective (no, I won't google it's actual name) is a show you couldn't make in North America, so Japanese TV isn't all bad.

I like Taiga dramas. :shobon:

Echoing that the variety show is utter poo poo though and I can't fathom why anyone would watch it. They seem to be popular in that part of the world though. Not Japan, but the CCTV New Year's Gala is wildly popular--though I will never, ever sit through one of those again. (If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically a Chinese version of the variety show with a higher budget and five grueling hours long.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Madd0g11 posted:

*Watches Japanese show*

*Watches Breaking Bad*

Yeah, no, gently caress Japan.

Yeah this is basically it. The absolute bottom shelf horrific reality shows in the US aren't really any better than the poo poo on Asian TV, but US TV has Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire and stuff. Asian TV is literally nothing but garbage variety shows (which at least in Korea are basically nothing more than marketing for kpop) and Mexican soap operas.

The rise of truly exceptional TV is recent enough that I hope it will happen here someday, too.

It's also weird because Korean movies tend to be really good. I don't know why TV is such a black hole of talent.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
TV work is not seen as glamorous as movies. Being a movie director or movie writer, you can negotiate better budgets, and gain international recognition in different film festivals and have a shot at the Oscars. Whereas being in the TV industry is seen as a stepping stone to go independent.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Genpei Turtle posted:

I like Taiga dramas. :shobon:

Echoing that the variety show is utter poo poo though and I can't fathom why anyone would watch it. They seem to be popular in that part of the world though. Not Japan, but the CCTV New Year's Gala is wildly popular--though I will never, ever sit through one of those again. (If you're unfamiliar with it, it's basically a Chinese version of the variety show with a higher budget and five grueling hours long.)

They do that 24 hour marathon thing on Japanese TV once a year that's basically two comedians (it was recently Becky and that one comedian whose name I forget, oh wait that's everyone) doing variety for, you guessed, it twenty four hours while some "famous" person runs in a marathon.

Edit: It's done by 日テレ I think?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

Asian TV is literally nothing but garbage variety shows (which at least in Korea are basically nothing more than marketing for kpop) and Mexican soap operas.

The only good variety show in all of the world is Sabado Gigante. Don Fransico is god. El Chacal is Satan.

And the only good channel in Korea is the one that plays starcraft all the time.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Sheep posted:

They do that 24 hour marathon thing on Japanese TV once a year that's basically two comedians (it was recently Becky and that one comedian whose name I forget, oh wait that's everyone) doing variety for, you guessed, it twenty four hours while some "famous" person runs in a marathon.

Edit: It's done by 日テレ I think?

Yeah, that's an annual thing. It's a charity drive, with most of the segments devoted to helping people and stuff, usually hosted by some Johnny's goons 'cause no one hates them, and the marathon thing is supposed to keep the mood from drifting too far into goofiness. They show updates of the runner every other commercial break or so to make everyone remember that it's supposed to be a serious show.

6-hour-long variety "specials" can go gently caress themselves, though. Who in their right mind watches those drat things?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The best thing about Asian reality shows is BOI-OI-OI-OINNNGGGGGG

I was a guest on a fairly serious China Central Television program about cultural exchange and international relations a few years ago. But if anyone made even the most vaguely humorous off-the-cuff remark, we'd be treated to some radio shock jock-style sound effects. BOINK

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Once I saw a TV show over there on shogi techniques, except it was all gussied up same as any other Japanese show. Bright colored text flying all over the screen, obnoxious sound effects, inappropriately dramatic music and voice overs, and all that stuff. Come on, it's a freaking board game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Madd0g11 posted:

And the only good channel in Korea is the one that plays starcraft all the time.

There's also the Seagal movie channel.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

Once I saw a TV show over there on shogi techniques, except it was all gussied up same as any other Japanese show. Bright colored text flying all over the screen, obnoxious sound effects, inappropriately dramatic music and voice overs, and all that stuff. Come on, it's a freaking board game.

Hmm, I wonder if having their tv screens constantly polluted by that garbage is why they seem to tolerate text over nico videos so well. I always turn that crap off on youtube on the rare occasions where it is set to default.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Have you ever seen a Japanese magazine cover?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It's not as much the money in commercials (important too no doubt) but the freedom for directors.

Comparing to US TV, there's stuff like 30 Rock. Just not the same.

But the thing that really gets me about the TV is the low production values on any drama. It's worse than 1980s Canadian TV.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cliff Racer posted:

Hmm, I wonder if having their tv screens constantly polluted by that garbage is why they seem to tolerate text over nico videos so well. I always turn that crap off on youtube on the rare occasions where it is set to default.
I actually love the gently caress out of Nico's comment system, but I hate the almost identical thing that is on Japanese TV. Go figure.

edit: Hm, not very many old men loving each other going on in this thread right now...

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

hadji murad posted:

It's not as much the money in commercials (important too no doubt) but the freedom for directors.

The money is the only explanation I could figure out because I just don't see anything nearly as awesome as American TV programming coming out of other countries, including ones like Canada and the UK that have similar artistic environments.

Especially when you look at stuff that's on American premiums like HBO and Showtime but are produced by European studios/actors/companies. It's the American money that makes it all possible.

What's the budget on a Japanese TV drama? US$50k an episode? It often looks that way.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Sheep posted:

twenty four hours while some "famous" person runs in a marathon.
The best part is that a simple check on Google Maps will prove that whatever course they're running doesn't take nearly that long to run. While it's still probably not an easy feat, they still have plenty of time to rest when the cameras aren't on them.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bloodnose posted:

Have you ever seen a Japanese magazine cover?

Ugh, yeah I have. Same thing there though its honestly not that bad, some of the better ones are no worse than Vogue or whatever.

Samuelthebold
Jul 9, 2007
Astra Superstar
What Japan really needs is its own Colbert Report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Samuelthebold posted:

What Japan really needs is its own Colbert Report.

Japan needs weed.

There, I said it.