Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Chroisman posted:

That's awesome, I didn't see any in the wild when I went up there in February :(.

We did manage to hear the distinctive hoot of the Powerful Owl though, which is pretty badass in its own right. We couldn't see it though because it was hiding somewhere way up in a strangler fig.

Awesome!

Funny thing is we were hoping to go pretty far up into the Daintree largely in the hope of seeing a cassowary. Instead we hit a bridge that was out, and had to turn around. We were disappointed and resigned to never seeing one, but literally within a minute of turning around we saw this guy cruising down the side of the road, oblivious as can be. So I guess my best cassowary spotting tip is to give up hope completely, as they seem to be attracted to irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Captain Postal posted:

Not a terribly bad-rear end picture, but a picture of a bad-rear end

Wanna party with that pig. :cheers:

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Wanna party with that pig. :cheers:

to paraphrase from the comments section: "drank too much booze, ate too much, started a fight, slept it off under a tree, woke up wondering what all the fuss is about". That's the australian way.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

t_violet posted:

Also, if anyone's ever in St. Augustine, Florida, check out the Alligator Farm; they have one of every type of alligator, crocodile, or caiman in the world (plus lots of birds and little marmosets and poo poo). It's a very well run facility (not a dodgy roadside stand) and very cool.

(a couple of years ago a keeper lost an arm doing this so they do it differently now)

Alligator Adventure in Myrtle Beach, SC is a slightly lower budget version, well worth a visit if you're in the area.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

drunk pig

quote:

Australian

Of course.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

the yeti posted:

Alligator Adventure in Myrtle Beach, SC is a slightly lower budget version
The keeper only lost a hand.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Trig Discipline posted:

These shocking facts have completely transformed my view of nature, thanks internet!

That might shock you but did you know that whales are in fact really big rear end fish? You can tell by their aquatic lifestyle!

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
I heard spiders are just bugs that God gave 2 more arms to, because He loves them 33% more.

edit: he > He

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

That might shock you but did you know that whales are in fact really big rear end fish? You can tell by their aquatic lifestyle!

For "fish" to be a monophyletic group it would have to include tetrapods, so in an evolutionary sense, yes whales are in fact "fish", and so are you.

:coolfish::hf::smug:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
PICTURES! Pictures, pictures, pictures, PICTURES!!!!

This made my stomach do flip flops.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Trig Discipline posted:

Sorry, this level of sarcasm probably wasn't warranted. I'm a professional evolutionary biologist, and I'm not used to people not knowing these things. When I said it looked like a dinosaur, it was with the same intent as you might say a particular person looks like an ape - people are ALL apes, but some of us actually LOOK like it, and that's kinda cool.

Of course, if you're going to argue (as many people do, including, bizarrely, some professional evolutionary biologists) that all birds are dinosaurs, then you should also argue that all birds are fish, since they are simply a highly specialized lineage of fish.

If you're going to be pedantic about paraphyletic clades, you have to be pedantic about all paraphyletic clades. Check your tetrapod privelege.

A bad-rear end fish:

Lewd Mangabey has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Sep 10, 2013

futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!

anonumos posted:

This is about as loose as you could possibly ever hang.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't know, I feel like it'd be significantly looser if those were jorts.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I don't know, I feel like it'd be significantly looser if those were jorts.

Mom jeans make extreme more extreme.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
My uncle had a wreck with his Pro Stock car last year.

He was interviewed a few minutes later and said, "I'm gonna build another one."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQDP1xVHl0

Wagglyplacebo
Nov 13, 2012

Gentwise posted:

I think the "are you kidding me?" was questioning the fact that real-life wild animals are just animals from some video game to you. I think most people would appreciate that they were seeing animals from nature, not animals from Far Cry 3.

I was just using the game as a shorthand way of saying that they have cool animals not that animals are cool just cause their from a video game. Is that really weird?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea it was kind of weird.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

anonumos posted:

According to my friend, that picture is about 10 years old, and he had a harness under his shirt attached to the rig.
Still. If he had a malfunction getting the reserve out would have proved difficult.

If the picture is really 10 years old, that means the coloring is from camera/film, not a stupid instagram filter.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

VikingSkull posted:

Speedway post

lived

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

But we're not sure about the guy flung from the car. :v:

:downsrim:

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Crosspost from the PYF Cat Pictures thread:

Konjuro posted:

Psy mid-yawn

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

That...is not a yawn. No, I'm afraid that's actually Silent Hill. :stare:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Huh... reminds me of this.

:nms: just in case? http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/bigmouth.gif

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Any context? I spy cyrillic lettering so I assume it's russian or thereabouts.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Care to explain? Google images is turning lots of pictures of dirt.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Seriously? You're afraid to post that image?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

IUG posted:

Is it bad that the only thing I think of upon seeing that is the TF2 heavy going "OM NOM NOM NOM?"

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!

Chard posted:

Looks like Russian Naval Infantry. I don't know much about them, but I'm going to take a punt and guess that they were well hard.

Baytor has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Sep 13, 2013

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I suppose the top left says "Price: 1 ruble". It could be a wartime propaganda poster (a very, very understated poster) promoting frugality, but the bottom right is too small for me to decipher.

Or then again it could be a postcard with the cheery subject of "Soviet sailors with machine guns".

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Brother Jonathan posted:

Crosspost from the PYF Cat Pictures thread:

We rescued a cat.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Chard posted:

Russian Naval Infantry, as someone pointed out. I'd guess that's the Crimea, '41 or later judging by their sub-machine-guns. The Crimean Campaign isn't really talked about a whole lot, but if those guys were defending Sevastopol they probably had to fight real hard sometime after that picture. Looks like that machine-gun team has nowhere to go if they needed to retreat. Good thing everyone brought two cartridge belts for that Maxim!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

scamtank posted:

but the bottom right is too small for me to decipher.
"On the shores of the Black Sea".

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

IUG posted:

Eh, I've seen people complain for less so I thought I'd make sure.

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

Russian Naval Infantry, as someone pointed out. I'd guess that's the Crimea, '41 or later judging by their sub-machine-guns. The Crimean Campaign isn't really talked about a whole lot, but if those guys were defending Sevastopol they probably had to fight real hard sometime after that picture. Looks like that machine-gun team has nowhere to go if they needed to retreat. Good thing everyone brought two cartridge belts for that Maxim!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyyunimmQ6s

It looks like it might have been taken the same time as the film at around 20 to 30 seconds in.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Chard posted:

Soviet naval infantry. A lot of ships went down early on in the war, leaving lots of able bodies trained men with nothing to do, so they got some guns and were sent into battle. They were pretty hard core, and opted out of pansy land-lubber stuff like "helmets" and "camouflage".

The picture itself is from the Smena magazine. It was the last page, that's why it has the price printed on it.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Civil rights demonstration.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

MadMattH
Sep 8, 2011

The bad-rear end part isn't the dude catching whatever it is, or the dude hanging down. It's the guy walking out there like he's on casual stroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008

• Locked thread