Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A little while ago, I broke a two-year MA-in-English-caused fantasy hiatus by jumping headfirst into Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I loved it, and also just barely missed the Book Barn thread on it, which, I mean, drat. What really captured my imagination, aside from the whole social comedy angle, was the way magic was portrayed as something far away, unknowable, creepy, and more than a little bit wrong, but still alluring and seductive. I geek out over portrayals of magic in fiction, so Strange and Norrell was pretty much perfect for me.

I come asking for suggestions on what to read next. I haven't had enough magic quite yet. Who are some other writers/what are some other books that portray magic in... well, not necessarily a similar way, but a similarly enthralling way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Harrow posted:

A little while ago, I broke a two-year MA-in-English-caused fantasy hiatus by jumping headfirst into Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. I loved it, and also just barely missed the Book Barn thread on it, which, I mean, drat. What really captured my imagination, aside from the whole social comedy angle, was the way magic was portrayed as something far away, unknowable, creepy, and more than a little bit wrong, but still alluring and seductive. I geek out over portrayals of magic in fiction, so Strange and Norrell was pretty much perfect for me.

I come asking for suggestions on what to read next. I haven't had enough magic quite yet. Who are some other writers/what are some other books that portray magic in... well, not necessarily a similar way, but a similarly enthralling way?

Somewhat different milieu but early Robin Hobb books may be up your alley.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees, which is about a small country just on the border of fairyland, which occasionally intrudes, and is the book you want. There's also The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany which is quite similar. For something more modern, John Crowley's Little, Big or Aegypt sequence, both of which are very long and have little magic (Little, Big has more), or Fire and Hemlock by Diana Wynne Jones, a rewriting of Tam Lin and Tom the Rhymer, or Howl's Moving Castle.

They're all quite closely tied to traditional beliefs about fairies, magic, astrology, and mythology, especially the Crowley books, and I also think they're great as literature. Crowley's one of those writers where you can read any page of any of his books and find somethng wonderful.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 13, 2013

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I just recommended it on the last page, but Little, big by John Crowley.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ahhh. Feels good to have a reading list. Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. Somehow I managed to forget that Howl's Moving Castle was an option. I've seen the Miyazaki film, which I really enjoyed, so I'm sure I'll love the book. I'll probably start with either that or Little, Big.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Harrow posted:

In addition to the above, Robert Holdstock's Mythago Wood and Neil Gaiman's [i]Stardust[i]. The first has truly frightening magic and the second is a more modern take on Dunsany style Faerie.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone know why Greg Egan doesn't allow photos of himself to appear anywhere online? My guess is he's monstrously fat.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I really like parts of the Laundry Files series. Like any given Laundry novel or short story it's a coinflip whether or not I think it's *amazing* or "ehhhhh".

This. Some passages of his can really strike me as beautiful and terrifying, especially when he's talking about hideous shrieking demons eating people's souls and apocalyptic pyramids surrounded by dead alien skies and poo poo.. And then he he throws out a chapter of straight out nerd babble. urk.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Hedrigall posted:

Does anyone know why Greg Egan doesn't allow photos of himself to appear anywhere online? My guess is he's monstrously fat.

He's the Thomas Pynchon of painfully characterless science fiction.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Harrow posted:

Who are some other writers/what are some other books that portray magic in... well, not necessarily a similar way, but a similarly enthralling way?

First one that sprang to mind was The Magicians, by Lev Grossman.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Has anyone read anything by Harry Turtledove? Skimming through his Wikipedia page, I see that he's written a lot of cool-sounding alternate history. Some of his books have magic in them so I guess he counts in this thread?

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

Has anyone read anything by Harry Turtledove? Skimming through his Wikipedia page, I see that he's written a lot of cool-sounding alternate history. Some of his books have magic in them so I guess he counts in this thread?

I read the first part of The Legend of Krispos or something similar by him. I gather that, as a straight-up fantasy (as opposed to alternate history), it's not his best work, but I found it pretty abhorrent. It was your standard Chosen One "He's Just Better" narrative that also had a large amount of time spent by the characters who are not the Chosen One discussing just How Much Better he is than everyone else. Lots of girls throwing themselves at him, lots of powerful men admiring him and of course, all his enemies are shallow, stupid and ugly who hate him because He's Just Better.

I'd not recommend it. But his alternate history stuff sounds like it's more his forte.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

It's basically schlock, and not even very good schlock.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

fritz posted:

It's basically schlock, and not even very good schlock.

Better than SM Stirling's schlock?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The problem I have with Turtledove is that his alternate history is very deterministic, in the sense that even with a point of divergence that should cause a radically different outcome, there's some kind of regression to the mean except with some of the people and nations changed around. For example, he has one series where the South win independence in the American Civil War. This inevitably leads to a WW1 where the USA and the CSA are France and Germany respectively, and then a WW2 where the CSA is Literally Nazi Germany and the CSA leader is Literally Hitler, with African Americans being the victims of the Holocaust. It's lazy and he does it a lot.

Disclaimer: I have not actually read much of Turtledove. This is based on bitching by friends.

Sulphagnist fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 15, 2013

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
One of the first (I think possibly the first) alternate history book that Turtledove wrote was The Guns of the South. Despite the incredibly hokey plot (time-travelling white supremacist South Africans ship AK-47s to the Confederates - I told you it was hokey) , it's actually a pretty good alternate US civil war tale.

Unfortunately soon after that he started writing interminable AH series full of ginger-snorting aliens attacking earth during WW2, and they're all pretty much trash. I did like his short story "Shtetl Days" though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

savinhill posted:

Better than SM Stirling's schlock?

Jesus, that's a low bar, but at least Turtledove doesn't show up to comment pages and make an rear end out of himself.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Thanks, guys. I asked because one of Turtledove's books, Agent of Byzantium caught my eye. Too bad it's not available in my region.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Turtledove is... capable of writing pretty good stuff, but apparently has figured out that schlock sells and he can turn that out at a much higher rate.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Neurosis posted:

Light is really good. Very dark, there is rarely any unmitigated good. Two of the characters are brokenly dysfunctional and almost completely deplorable. But the setting and writing is so cool it remains awesome. I had trouble getting through Nova Swing. Just didn't feel the same. Felt downright facetious at times. Taking a breather before book 3.

I'd personally rate Empty Space as the best of the trilogy. It uses the same split settings narrative device as Light does, if the lack of that bothered you in Nova Swing you might prefer this novel to it.

More generally, I'd recommend Harrison's Kefahuchi Tract stuff as a vastly superior alternative to anything Richard K. Morgan has written for anybody looking for 'future noir' type stuff.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
Yeah, Guns of the South is amazing, but a lot of what he writes is pretty run of the mill. I like his Videssos and the WorldWar books but I don't think they are really "good" - just fun reads.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
The first five Discworld books are $1.99 each on the Kindle daily deal for today :toot:

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
I just finished one hell of an audiobook (Les Miserables. It was over 60 hours long :eng99:) and I'm understandably looking to take a break from listening to books. Can anyone recommend a couple good scifi/fantasy podcasts? Or anything that is a generally awesome podcast, really. Preferably not a book club.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

AreYouStillThere posted:

I just finished one hell of an audiobook (Les Miserables. It was over 60 hours long :eng99:) and I'm understandably looking to take a break from listening to books. Can anyone recommend a couple good scifi/fantasy podcasts? Or anything that is a generally awesome podcast, really. Preferably not a book club.

It's nonfiction but The History of Rome is pretty much the best podcast I've ever listened to. The host weaves a bunch of different sources into a really enjoyable narrative, and episodes generally run about 15-25 minutes so they're pretty easy to fit in throughout the day.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

AreYouStillThere posted:

Escapepod and podcastle are both pretty good. They get a wide range of stories that have mostly been professionally published before in magazines like Asimov's or SF&F.

Two minor complaints: the quality of the readers fluctuates wildly. Sometimes they have authors read, which is cool, but sometimes they have wannabe's who ruin good stories.

The other complaint I have is that the majority of the stories chosen push an agenda. Seriously, not every story has to be super pro feminism, or LGBT, or about minorities. It's fine when the stories are good, but not when the stories just obviously got a pass because of the editor's political leanings. But this is a problem that is endemic in the short fiction industry, not just escapepod and podcastle.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

fookolt posted:

The first five Discworld books are $1.99 each on the Kindle daily deal for today :toot:

I was so loving excited about this because I'm amassing all the Discworld books on my Kindle and I don't have any pre-Guards! Guards! books yet.

But the deal isn't available for Australian kindle owners :smith:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ZerodotJander posted:

Yeah, Guns of the South is amazing, but a lot of what he writes is pretty run of the mill. I like his Videssos and the WorldWar books but I don't think they are really "good" - just fun reads.

His Lost legion series is pretty decent: a Roman legion departs our world for one in which something like Byzantium reigns and magic is real. If you don't mind the LBGT issues too much it's a solid four book series.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Hedrigall posted:

But the deal isn't available for Australian kindle owners :smith:

On occasion, I have travelled to the US.

When I do, I change my location under Manage Your Kindle -> Country Settings. The address I use is for the freight forwarding service shipito

This gives me full access to the US store, with my Australian credit card, and doesn't ask for any kind of proof that I am in the US. Even if I inadvertently do it while still in Australia...

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BrosephofArimathea posted:

On occasion, I have travelled to the US.

When I do, I change my location under Manage Your Kindle -> Country Settings. The address I use is for the freight forwarding service shipito

This gives me full access to the US store, with my Australian credit card, and doesn't ask for any kind of proof that I am in the US. Even if I inadvertently do it while still in Australia...

I've heard of books being deleted from people's accounts, or accounts being deactivated, for this.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

AreYouStillThere posted:

Do you mean podcasts about scifi/fantasy, or that are scifi/fantasy? If the latter, pick up Welcome to Night Vale (fantasy horror radio) and never look back.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

mllaneza posted:

His Lost legion series is pretty decent: a Roman legion departs our world for one in which something like Byzantium reigns and magic is real. If you don't mind the LBGT issues too much it's a solid four book series.

Yeah, that's the first set of Videssos books.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mllaneza posted:

What LGBT issues? The two main characters who are gay are portrayed no differently from their counterparts, and although they keep it quiet because the Roman legions weren't exactly pro-gay literally nobody who knows about them treats them negatively because of it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
It seems like The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is on sale for $0.99 at all ebook retailers according to Random House (select eBook format for links to Amazon, iBooks, Google Play etc.)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Fart of Presto posted:

It seems like The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is on sale for $0.99 at all ebook retailers according to Random House (select eBook format for links to Amazon, iBooks, Google Play etc.)

Says 7.99 on the site you just linked. durrrrrr...

Amazon isn't reflecting the sale yet...

Perhaps it'll be up later? I hope so, I really want to read that book and 0.99 is impossible to beat.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 18, 2013

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Snuffman posted:

Says 7.99 on the site you just linked. durrrrrr...

Amazon isn't reflecting the sale yet...

Perhaps it'll be up later? I hope so, I really want to read that book and 0.99 is impossible to beat.
Funny, it worked for me earlier today. Are you looking at the right tab?

http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Locke-Lamora-ebook/dp/B000JMKNJ2/ref=sr_1_1_bnp_1_kin?ie=UTF8&qid=1379462371&sr=8-1&keywords=lies+of+locke+lamora

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Yeah, I also bought it for $0.99 at Amazon when I posted it, and it's still that price.
Perhaps it's a US only thing?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Walh Hara posted:

Oh, I actually read Lions of Al-Rassan already. Very well written and I liked the setting, but I didn't find the story that compelling. However, I admit part of the problem might have been that I knew the story of EL Cid and as such found the story too predictable, so I'll certainly check out his other books anyway. Pretty sure Fionavar is on my list of "books I started but never finished"
Tigana is a better and more interesting book - if you liked Lions at all you should read it. I also really, really liked the Sailing to Sarantium pair of books, even though they don't get a lot of love. Part of that is my huge boner for Roman/Byzantium history, but they are really well written with great characters and a great melding of historical fiction and fantasy.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I recently finished N.K. Jemisin's The Killing Moon. It was the first thing of her's I've ever read and I thought it was a fantastic book, one of the best fantasy books I've read in a long while. The setting was so different, and I thought really interesting. Has anyone else read her stuff? I'm reading the sequel to The Killing Moon right now as well, but it's slower going for me, I was able to get through any slow parts of The Killing Moon by the setting being so new, fresh, and interesting.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

fermun posted:

I recently finished N.K. Jemisin's The Killing Moon. It was the first thing of her's I've ever read and I thought it was a fantastic book, one of the best fantasy books I've read in a long while. The setting was so different, and I thought really interesting. Has anyone else read her stuff? I'm reading the sequel to The Killing Moon right now as well, but it's slower going for me, I was able to get through any slow parts of The Killing Moon by the setting being so new, fresh, and interesting.

I've read two books from her The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms and The Broken Kingdoms. They're part of a trilogy. I haven't read the third book because I'm lazy, but her women protagonists are well-written and interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

That's it, I can't take Daniel Abraham anymore.
I'm just finishing off Abbadon's Gate and it is really nothing special.
That they extended this series to 6 books is just mindblowing, especially since the 2 best characters sofar are either dead or not in the last book (dirty grandma).
I also recently read the first 3 books in The Dagger and the Coin, and they are boring in the same way as The Expanse series.
The main problem is that so few of the protagonists are particularly memorable (Miller, Grandam and Geder) and everything else feels very bland and mediocre.