Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe aliens like to go camping too? Or it could be a TARDIS. Anything could be a TARDIS.

Is this an alien vessel?

Aliens everywhere! :tinfoil:

AH! HA! HA! HA! STAYIN' ALLLLIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVEE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

e: whoops, gifs are against thread rules. Edited out

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Angela Christine posted:

Is this an alien vessel?

Aliens everywhere! :tinfoil:

This is probably an alien vessel.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Are those pants or paint? Tell me the answer is pants. I want those pants.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

Apparently there's this ~weird~ decade called 'The 90s'?

I'm convinced that's Waldo Faldo in the background

Louisiana Van Van
Jan 11, 2009

Then a miracle occurred in the form of a plate of sandwiches.
I am a philosopher of sandwiches, he decided. Things good on the inside.

Centripetal Horse posted:

Are those pants or paint? Tell me the answer is pants. I want those pants.

The answer is pants. Specifically leggings. Also available in dress and swimsuit.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

stubblyhead posted:

This is probably an alien vessel.

Some guy in my hometown connected two of these things. I've always wanted to go in and look around, see what kind of furniture would be in a round house.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

toanoradian posted:

Apparently there's this ~weird~ decade called 'The 90s'?

the video

When I took sex ed in high school, we had to watch videos that featured Jennie Garth talking about breast cancer and Urkel rapping about abstinence and peer pressure. They were incredibly outdated even then, and any possible lessons they could have taught got lost in all the neon clothing and VHS fuzz.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Justin Timberlake got a lot better looking in his late 20s.

Unclejeeby
Mar 28, 2010

mrkillboy posted:

Saw these brought up on Twitter. These are real textbook covers.

Those don't surprise me; I took this class from one of the authors. We spent half the class time watching Office Space and other movies about office 'environments'.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TheBigAristotle posted:

I'm convinced that's Waldo Faldo in the background

It could very well be, I'm pretty sure the actor was in the Rock N Jock game for a year or two.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hasters posted:

Wrong Tim Buckley, it's the lovely one that runs (ran?) a gaming convention that specifically banned all internet access and required everyone to physically connect to their network via Ethernet.

As for a funny picture:

What was the reasoning behind that? I guess maybe the internet ban was to stop people from just loving around on the internet instead of joining in with everyone (although why would you care if a few people want to do that?) but why no wifi? Just thought it would be really awesome to have bunch of cables all over the place for no reason?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Tiggum posted:

What was the reasoning behind that? I guess maybe the internet ban was to stop people from just loving around on the internet instead of joining in with everyone (although why would you care if a few people want to do that?) but why no wifi? Just thought it would be really awesome to have bunch of cables all over the place for no reason?

Simplest(theoretical) answer: no internet was available at the venue or they couldn't afford it.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Forgall posted:

I'm a little confused about who this game is trying to pander to.

That's a real good codpiece.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Tiggum posted:

Hotels (or convention centres, unless they're kinda modern and on the ball) aren't exactly equipped to deal with 2000 people going Internet at full tilt. I mean, a few can, but that's more a thing for Tier 1 tech universities, colos and the DoD.

Also WiFi has to feed everyone the same 54~600Mbps off whatever channel it's on because of how electromagnetic radiation works, so above but even worse. At least you can segment a wired network.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The simplest reason I can think of was that he wanted it to be a closed social gathering where you had to play with each other - you couldn't play with your brother from Topeka while sitting at his convention. Or perhaps there were knowledge-based quizzes that he wanted no outside help on. Or there were team competitions on various games and it had to be people there at the convention and not some ringer you bring in by internet to give your team an advantage.

Who knows. He seems a bit eccentric, and what I can gather is that his Digital Overload conventions seemed to be about social gatherings for his fans. You can do all your internet stuff when you're off by yourself, but once the group gaming starts, you're bound to the group that's there.

Maybe I'm completely wrong, but it's the sense I get from some brief Google research.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Erebus posted:

Now you can use the power of YouTube and crazy people to watch lengthy recorded copies of old Weather Channel broadcasts instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys1rGgm2dZA

People, do not just scroll past this video without watching. You have to watch this video.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

IIRC: "You paid to come here to interact with other people and BY GOD you are going to interact with other people, you got that?"

I've had really bad luck with public lans going to poo poo when there's a decent net connection. Everything is great and people are playing locally and having fun then the next thing you know it's WoW raid time. Suddenly 75% of the people are off in their own little world, raiding with the same group of people they do every night, and completely ignoring everybody else in the room.

fake edit: what Deteriorata said

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Also Tim Buckley is a power-mad pervert cheap-rear end.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Mescal posted:

People, do not just scroll past this video without watching. You have to watch this video.

The commercial that begins at 4:08 is a little bit of magic.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

At the Jersey shore in the 1970s they had one channel that showed, 24/7, a thermometer, a barometer, and a moisture meter stuck on a featureless wall.

I can't even remember if they bothered with music.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Mescal posted:

It's just so soothing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Constipated posted:

Some guy in my hometown connected two of these things. I've always wanted to go in and look around, see what kind of furniture would be in a round house.

60s scifi furniture.

https://www.google.com/search?site=...191.XVC5R1qEu8k

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

Mescal posted:

So that was the weather on my 4th birthday. Good to know.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

tacodaemon posted:

The commercial that begins at 4:08 is a little bit of magic.

I love the world's worst 18-second wipe.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Lincoln posted:

That actually made me feel quite ill.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Lincoln posted:

Yeah, it looks very like an intense migraine aura.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Oh, it's holding a ham. I thought it was a really weird bouquet of flowers.

Also, the dinosaur is glaring at the guy's hand. It clearly does not appreciate being exposed like that.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

'Make a moooooove, rear end in a top hat, we dare ya.'

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

You came to the wrong neighborhood, mudderfucker.

BerkerkLurk
Jul 22, 2001

I could never sleep my way to the top 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up
We're here to kick rear end and chew cud and we'll be done chewing our cud in several hours.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

We herd you were coming. I dairy you to make a moove. It would be a misteak. Steer yourself in the opposite direction, otherwise it might turn out offal for you. Before you udder another word you should hoof it out of here. Etc. etc.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Louisiana Van Van posted:

The answer is pants. Specifically leggings. Also available in dress and swimsuit.

I am unreasonably happy that these exist. None of those are anywhere near my size (also, I am a man), but I think I am going to buy one of each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nyyen posted:

We herd you were coming. I dairy you to make a moove. It would be a misteak. Steer yourself in the opposite direction, otherwise it might turn out offal for you. Before you udder another word you should hoof it out of here. Etc. etc.

I have to admit I would be cowed by this situation :suicide:

• Locked thread