Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Some don't affect troop type stuff at all, but things like damage to enemy morale or movement speed. Organiser's one of the best because it means your armies don't take for-loving-ever to get anywhere any more.

Also, if your character's leading troops and gets a leader trait, it actually lets you choose which one you get from a random/semi-random pool of three. Also, Organizer absolutely rocks; the movement speed bonus is great when you've got the numerical advantage but the other army moves fast enough that you can't catch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So on my heir, I clicked on this hunting trait or something in the lower right box below the normal traits, now he's wearing military gear (while not deployed) and I can't figure out how to undo it. Reloading doesn't work, and even starting a new game has the heir in combat gear. :psyduck:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Flesnolk posted:

Some don't affect troop type stuff at all, but things like damage to enemy morale or movement speed. Organiser's one of the best because it means your armies don't take for-loving-ever to get anywhere any more.

Organiser's definitely the best but honestly siege leader is a close second. A 1.4x modifier is obscene.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
I do a lot of assaults and I've been getting a lot of siege leaders.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Just one more finger, Trent.
So is there any consensus on whether establishing a vassal merchant republic is worth it?

The SWMH map has a handful of "ecclesiastical duchies" in the zone of the HRE, one-county duchies that can only be formed by a theocratic government with at least 200 piety. One of these is for the Archbishopric of Arles, which is on the Mediterranean coast; I'm presently playing the Queen of Burgundy, and it occurs to me that such a one-county ducal title is perfect for a pet merchant republic (I don't think you have to be a theocracy to hold the title, just to make it). Since the trade in the area is firmly dominated by Genoa, though, I would have to clear my seaboard with an embargo war first, and even then they might have a hard time thriving in the Pisa/Genoa dominated western Mediterranean.

I've heard they can bring in a lot of cash, but with high city taxes and the -20 opinion penalty for wrong government I'm not sure if they'll ever give any of it to me.

Belasarius posted:

I do a lot of assaults and I've been getting a lot of siege leaders.

Is that how you get it? I keep seeing it on other characters but I've never the option pop up for one of mine.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Glass Hand posted:

Is that how you get it? I keep seeing it on other characters but I've never the option pop up for one of mine.
I've never chosen it, but my commanders are getting it. I basically never wait for the siege, I always assault.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I forgot how much this game can snowball in either direction. I was rocking house for quite a while and then somehow pissed off the Holy Roman Empire when my army was slightly depleted. Cue losing my largest duchy, and then a couple of other back-to-back wars with lesser powers while I can only raise about 1/8th of my troops.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Allyn posted:

Organiser's definitely the best but honestly siege leader is a close second. A 1.4x modifier is obscene.

I usually go Unyielding and Inspiring Leader when I can. You can pull out some utterly absurd, outnumbered 3 to 1 by quality units, wins if you also happen to have patient and brave as well. Organizer is always so tempting though :sigh:.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

HenessyHero posted:

I usually go Unyielding and Inspiring Leader when I can. You can pull out some utterly absurd, outnumbered 3 to 1 by quality units, wins if you also happen to have patient and brave as well. Organizer is always so tempting though :sigh:.

The best part about organizer is you only need ONE guy with it, somewhere, in your army, and it applies over the entire thing. So, like, yeah, it's absurdly good, but you don't need to pick it up every time by any means. I usually like to be boring and take something like {x}leader, where X is my troop composition or the type of terrain of my country/neighboring countries.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
While people are talking about military stuff: Is there an advantage to having smaller armies with various commanders over just rolling up the doomstack with your best guys? Screenshots I've seen look like they split their army to siege multiple holdings with smaller forces.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
It depends on what you're trying to do. If you need to take over target holdings quickly because you declared holy war and you want to the war to be over before everyone else jumps in then splitting up your stack and assaulting asap over multiple lands is a good idea.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Veryslightlymad posted:

The best part about organizer is you only need ONE guy with it, somewhere, in your army, and it applies over the entire thing. So, like, yeah, it's absurdly good, but you don't need to pick it up every time by any means. I usually like to be boring and take something like {x}leader, where X is my troop composition or the type of terrain of my country/neighboring countries.

Is that true? I've always put the organizer in overall command.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah organisers only take effect if they're leading the centre, definitely not one of the flanks.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Is the same true for Siege Leader?

Those are the only combat abilities I can think of that have effects outside actual combat.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Glass Hand posted:

Is the same true for Siege Leader?

Those are the only combat abilities I can think of that have effects outside actual combat.

I think so; if you click on a province under siege it tells you who's leading it just to the left of the siege status, but I think it defaults to whoever leads the centre rather than automatically picking someone with the siege leader trait.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Siege Leader, I don't think I've actually ever seen that trait on anyone while playing. Is it restricted by religion or culture or something?

Dec 30, 2008
So my daughter had syphilis so I married her off to a neighbouring king figuring I'd syphilis bomb him. Three years later they've had two children and he still doesn't have syphilis and neither do his children. This is bullshit.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
^^Bullshit.... or a miracle of Christ?

Allyn posted:

Yeah organisers only take effect if they're leading the centre, definitely not one of the flanks.

Maybe it can be any of the center commands, then, because I've definitely had hilariously quick armies of Heavy Infantry without having my center commander be an Organizer, but my Fylkir, well, he -did- have organizer, and was usually somewhere in the back lines.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of Siege Leader, I don't think I've actually ever seen that trait on anyone while playing. Is it restricted by religion or culture or something?

It was only added a patch or two ago, which probably won't have helped :shobon:

Veryslightlymad posted:

Maybe it can be any of the center commands, then, because I've definitely had hilariously quick armies of Heavy Infantry without having my center commander be an Organizer, but my Fylkir, well, he -did- have organizer, and was usually somewhere in the back lines.

This is certainly possible, I'll check in a bit.

Unrelated: does anyone know how tribal titles work, specifically with regards to tech? I'm playing as the Mongol Empire from the bookmark, and I just noticed that, despite holding duchies and the empire title, I generate 0 tech points as if I was a count. That seems... kind of bizarre. Is that related to the tribal title or is there something else stopping it? Still playing as Genghis, who has a crazy high martial skill (duh) so I should be getting loads of military points, and yet nothing :(

e: nope, can't be tribal related because the tribal pagans of 867 do generate points, although the Golden Horde don't either. Huh.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 13, 2013

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Allyn posted:

Unrelated: does anyone know how tribal titles work, specifically with regards to tech? I'm playing as the Mongol Empire from the bookmark, and I just noticed that, despite holding duchies and the empire title, I generate 0 tech points as if I was a count. That seems... kind of bizarre. Is that related to the tribal title or is there something else stopping it? Still playing as Genghis, who has a crazy high martial skill (duh) so I should be getting loads of military points, and yet nothing :(

e: nope, can't be tribal related because the tribal pagans of 867 do generate points, although the Golden Horde don't either. Huh.
Think this is related to the allow landless flag. None of the mongol empires (or Aztecs) get tech anymore, which I believe is a bug introduced in the fixpatch for 1.11

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

lurksion posted:

Think this is related to the allow landless flag. None of the mongol empires (or Aztecs) get tech anymore, which I believe is a bug introduced in the fixpatch for 1.11

Oh right :pwn: that's extra weird because it would mean the Pope doesn't generate tech either when, uh, he probably should I guess, otherwise Rome's gonna get left behind the rest of Italy by the time the renaissance hits

e: Plus I guess as it has the landless tag it means that it also doesn't get destroyed when you pick up a title of equal rank like other tribal titles, so I can get round the issue of just creating the Persian Empire and playing with that as the primary title. Bit annoying but whatever, I can just switch back to the Mongol title if I export to EU4, so eh

Allyn fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 13, 2013

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Just checked, and you definitely, absolutely, 100% need your organiser leading the centre. With my organiser leading, was going to arrive 27 May; having him in the centre but someone else leading it and they would arrive 5 June; likewise if he's leading a flank, 5 June.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Allyn posted:

Oh right :pwn: that's extra weird because it would mean the Pope doesn't generate tech either when, uh, he probably should I guess, otherwise Rome's gonna get left behind the rest of Italy by the time the renaissance hits

Realism! :eng101:

One question I have is if entities with a ducal/kingdom title, but with no county-level holdings - religious heads with barony-level holdings come to mind - still generate their own tech points in their home provinces. Does the Ecumenical Patriarchate contribute to tech in Constantinople in addition to the Byzantine Emperor?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
If I have two Empire titles, how does de Jure kingdom drift work? Do kingdoms outside of both empires' territories drift to my primary title? Do territories inside the secondary empire drift to my primary?

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

fool_of_sound posted:

If I have two Empire titles, how does de Jure kingdom drift work?

It doesn't. You don't get de jure drift of the kingdoms of one empire to another if you own both empire titles (or the duchies of one kingdom to another, if you own both kingdom titles).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Glass Hand posted:

It doesn't. You don't get de jure drift of the kingdoms of one empire to another if you own both empire titles (or the duchies of one kingdom to another, if you own both kingdom titles).

What about kingdoms that part part of neither empire?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mailer posted:

While people are talking about military stuff: Is there an advantage to having smaller armies with various commanders over just rolling up the doomstack with your best guys? Screenshots I've seen look like they split their army to siege multiple holdings with smaller forces.

As long as you outnumber your enemy by an acceptable degree, you don't really need more troops in that stack. If you have a hugely excessive force compared to the foe, and you're in a hurry (such as attacking someone else's revolting vassal), it's best to split the force up into several still-superior stacks and overwhelm several defending armies/provinces at once. If you've got your army sieging a province and you outnumber the defenders 30-to-1, you might as well split that stack and carry out three 10-to-1 sieges instead.

On the other hand, this generally leads to slightly higher troop losses, more tine spent chasing defeated enemy armies,and you increase the risk of the enemy managing to pull together enough troops to beat one of your armies.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fool_of_sound posted:

What about kingdoms that part part of neither empire?

They will drift to your primary title.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

If I want to play a game where I can eventually attempt to create an Islamic Italy what's the most fun start date/realm to pick? I assume starting in Sicily isn't such a good idea since you're generally easy pickings for whoever you happen to be bordering so I guess it's better to start elsewhere?

My only stipulation is that it's something fun to play as.

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Last Emperor posted:

If I want to play a game where I can eventually attempt to create an Islamic Italy what's the most fun start date/realm to pick? I assume starting in Sicily isn't such a good idea since you're generally easy pickings for whoever you happen to be bordering so I guess it's better to start elsewhere?

Sicily actually does work early on, but the start can be a little touch and go. The main power there is the Kalbids, who are Shi'ite unlike most of North Africa, so they are threatened with holy wars from both sides. If you can obtain and keep an alliance and good relations with your fellow Shi'ites the Fatimids, though, they can make up for this, and once the Hashashin become landed you gain access to a neat Shi'ite-only Holy Order too.

Norman Sicily can be a pain, but they're at their weakest early on. If they don't take the island of Sicily and keep losing holy wars, they'll often have trouble forming the kingdom title, which will result in their various duchies breaking up through gavelkind in every generation. Once that happens all you need to do is wait for them to get into a war with each other and then attack.

The biggest potential threats in my experience are republics and the Papacy, who both love joining Holy Wars and will use their stacks of cash to buy a large merc company in every war they get into.

Of course, you could always play one of the Sunni counties in Sicily, ally with the African powers, holy war the Kalbids, and pray that the Fatimids don't join in. The advantage there is that you don't have to do much county conversion, because the island starts mostly Sunni, and you have backup in africa in case of holy war. No Fatimid support or Hashashins, however, and holy warring those guys in Africa is right out.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Glass Hand posted:

Sicily actually does work early on, but the start can be a little touch and go. The main power there is the Kalbids, who are Shi'ite unlike most of North Africa, so they are threatened with holy wars from both sides. If you can obtain and keep an alliance and good relations with your fellow Shi'ites the Fatimids, though, they can make up for this, and once the Hashashin become landed you gain access to a neat Shi'ite-only Holy Order too.

Norman Sicily can be a pain, but they're at their weakest early on. If they don't take the island of Sicily and keep losing holy wars, they'll often have trouble forming the kingdom title, which will result in their various duchies breaking up through gavelkind in every generation. Once that happens all you need to do is wait for them to get into a war with each other and then attack.

The biggest potential threats in my experience are republics and the Papacy, who both love joining Holy Wars and will use their stacks of cash to buy a large merc company in every war they get into.

Of course, you could always play one of the Sunni counties in Sicily, ally with the African powers, holy war the Kalbids, and pray that the Fatimids don't join in. The advantage there is that you don't have to do much county conversion, because the island starts mostly Sunni, and you have backup in africa in case of holy war. No Fatimid support or Hashashins, however, and holy warring those guys in Africa is right out.

Really useful info, thanks!

I tried a couple of starts as the Kalbids before I posted but, like you mentioned, the Normans are troublesome having declared Holy Wars against me. I think I'll try again and do what you mentioned with regards to the Fatimids and if that doesn't work after a bit I'll just try some other realms instead. At least no playthrough is ever really boring!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Last Emperor posted:

My only stipulation is that it's something fun to play as.

Play a ruler-creator Sunni Amalfi. You're rich as balls, you can pretty quickly take over your tiny neighbors to form the Kingdom of Sicily, Italy often fragments leaving you some more small countries to munch on, and if it all goes bad you can swear fealty to the ERE.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

SeaTard posted:

Play a ruler-creator Sunni Amalfi. You're rich as balls, you can pretty quickly take over your tiny neighbors to form the Kingdom of Sicily, Italy often fragments leaving you some more small countries to munch on, and if it all goes bad you can swear fealty to the ERE.

Yeah I'll probably have to do something like that I think or start out in North Africa, I'm not too worried about whether I'm Sunni or Shi'ite.

Tried again as Kalbid and survived a bit longer but eventually Roger comes knocking with Holy War again and I'm unable to get any help from elsewhere so I think I will look at a different route. Managed to sort of keep him distracted a little by raiding his coast with my army but alongside the allies that got pulled in he could stand 4K whereas I could not even get 2K with no income for mercs either. :(

Glass Hand
Apr 24, 2006

Last Emperor posted:

Tried again as Kalbid and survived a bit longer but eventually Roger comes knocking with Holy War again and I'm unable to get any help from elsewhere so I think I will look at a different route. Managed to sort of keep him distracted a little by raiding his coast with my army but alongside the allies that got pulled in he could stand 4K whereas I could not even get 2K with no income for mercs either. :(

Yeah, the trouble with the Fatimids is that the difference between them deciding to help and deciding not to help is generally the difference between life and death for the Kalbids.

You know, it's a little extreme, but you could try actually swearing fealty to them (the Fatimids, that is). I've never tried it, but it would basically guarantee their assistance at the cost of your independence. The only trouble is breaking free later...

As I said, you could also try the Sunni count holy war route, but you really need alliances to pull it off, and I don't know how many free daughters/sisters there are at the start of the game to link yourself up with the North African powers. If it takes too long, the Normans might get to the Kalbids before you can. It's been a while since I played vanilla so I don't have a good sense of the usual tempo of their Sicilian conquest.

As far as fighting the Normans goes, the best way to do it is to try and boat-bomb them as soon as war is declared - have everyone immediately embark and hit their stacks while they're still marching around on the coast. Sometimes you can whittle them down that way. Once they're all assembled into one stack, it's tough to do anything about it unless your stack is larger.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm thinking of setting up a merchant republic vassal in Crimea. Do they do anything fun, like get you into trade wars and stuff? Or do they behave like just another vassal, only with no dynasty issues and affected by a different set of tax/levy laws?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
^^^ I did that once and they didn't seem too belligerent. They just filled up the black sea/aegean with trade posts and mostly left Venice alone. IIRC it did generate alot of cash due to how many ports there are in such a tight space though.

Mailer posted:

No hard and fast answer. If you're dealing with a powerful enemy and facing high attrition in enemy lands, splitting up your forces into many small units is best imho because you can't afford loses from either attrition or foolhardy siege assaults. If the enemy doomstack approaches in this case, you can consolidate your guys for a single battle or two to minimize attrition. In other situations, if you're on a tight schedule you can split your forces up slightly into however many stacks it takes to safely assault each holding. If your enemy already formed their own doomstack you'll probably need your own to challenge it in other situations.

Long story short, just use your judgement. There's lots of different situations that'll call for different strategies.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 13, 2013

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So if I want to invite a claimant to my court, do I have to give them land first to make them not just become independent and refuse to vassalize once I press their claim? Like christ rear end in a top hat the whole idea is that I scratch your back you scratch mine.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

fleshweasel posted:

So if I want to invite a claimant to my court, do I have to give them land first to make them not just become independent and refuse to vassalize once I press their claim? Like christ rear end in a top hat the whole idea is that I scratch your back you scratch mine.

Yes, unless they're in your dynasty. And the title you're pressing the claim for needs to be a lower level than your own primary title, or they'll just gently caress right of with both the claim and whenever you granted them.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, the only way they become your vassal is if they're a member of your dynasty or they're already your vassal, and to be your vassal they have to be landed (just being in your court isn't enough). If they're unlanded, then it doesn't matter whose court they're in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, the only way they become your vassal is if they're a member of your dynasty or they're already your vassal, and to be your vassal they have to be landed (just being in your court isn't enough). If they're unlanded, then it doesn't matter whose court they're in.

Alternately, they'll become your vassal if the title you're pressing is part of your de jure territory. This can be a convenient way to grab rogue duchies rather than conquering them county by county with ten years between each.

• Locked thread