Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Agreed posted:

Another option would be an additional Enter key or Backspace key if you're looking for just typing aides, but those both have some potentially unintended consequences involved if you accidentally hit that button while trying to just type A (more an issue with reds than any other, though browns might have a similar problem... They are weird to my fingers, the actuation curve is uncomfortable to me).
I did the Backspace option. My experience with it has been that twenty years of never using that big key next to 'a' has removed any possibility of getting use from it. I'm pretty sure no matter what I might remap to caps, I'd require conscious thought to use it, and at that point why bother. Nice for games though, to have the key be usable without toggling caps all the time.

My experience with browns has been:
1) Hardly ever had problems with accidental keying beyond general clumsy fatfingering or PUI. There's really quite a big difference between red and brown in the force needed to close the contact, even though the bottoming-out force is the same.
2) The force curve is a bit weird. It's not so much a non-linear curve as a momentary jag. When I first got mine I described it as feeling "gritty", like there was a tiny grain of sand in each key. The first day it didn't exactly feel great, but after a week I barely noticed it and now it's entirely subconscious.

Deviant posted:

CM Storm Trigger (For its Macro buttons)
The Trigger should be on the Questionable list. CM isn't making it anymore. It was not made by Costar, uses Cherry stabilizers (keyboard geeks generally prefer costar's if they can get them). But it also has some other weirdness -- for example the winkey defaults to disabled and doesn't have a hardware-based switch, you have to turn it on or off with some software. Once set, it's persistent on the keyboard hardware though. Anyways it was CM's first stab at the mech keyboard, and if you want macro keys it's ok. It looks like they're pretty cheap on Amazon, though only in Red & Blue.

Duckys are great, but the Shine II is old and busted: new hotness Shine 3 just came out. If you want backlighting bling, the Shine 3 is where it's at. 6 different color options, RGB spacebar, and more ridiculous lighting modes than you can shake a stick at. Out of stock everywhere though.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Jesus, Ducky Shine III's are like double the cost of most other mech keyboards. What makes them so different to justify double the price?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Agrajag posted:

Jesus, Ducky Shine III's are like double the cost of most other mech keyboards. What makes them so different to justify double the price?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAM0HqQebB0

(Real answer: Like filco, they're an asian company that's focused on their own domestic market and exports in limited quantities. Plus Ducky builds their own product, they're not reselling from an OEM. Neither company had the resources to really do much on the western market. So even though they were making good mechanical boards years before any of the big guys got on the scene, they couldn't capitalize on that lead to do anything more than offer expensive product to an importer like mechanicalkeyboards.com and other boutiques. That's why these things had so much mystique around them, for years and years they were a thing that only "insiders" knew about.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Some keyboard news I just saw on my FB feed:

http://www.hori.jp/products/pc/ff11keyboard/

"HORI announced Final Fantasy 11 collabolated REALFORCE keyboard in Japan."

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Man, trying to assemble a full WASD set is confusing. I need to call them and ensure compatibility, gotta do that tomorrow. If I'm going to commit to "screw the LEDs" I'm going to want some more visible keycaps :-/

Although, I could RMA it, sell the K60 for a respectable price, and put that and some other sundry for-sale crap toward a real made-in-Japan individually weighted ergonomic Topre board. I've been really wanting to do that. And if I don't like it, easy to move since they hold their value well. Hrm hrm hrm hrm. God drat this is an expensive peripheral to get "into" haha. No macros on the Topre, but the tech sounds like it would basically feel like typing on a brand-new, high quality rubber dome board forever. And the distributed weighting of the keys seems like a brilliant feature if it's executed correctly. I love the low actuation force of the Red switches, and I could get along with Black switches too, so actuation force in (and slightly below?!) that range seems like it would be really comfy to type on.

I assume Topre are pretty much silent, is that correct? As I've noted in the past I like the way Blues feel (they don't especially remind me of a Model M, but I like the way they feel anyway) but I would be killed with my own keyboard for bringing that noisemaker home. I like that the reds are very quiet even when typing quickly because of the ease of their actuation, I would want that out of the Topre board. The technology of it leads me to believe they'd likely be even quieter than the Reds or Browns, because they've got the robust dome with its softer stop, it doesn't bottom out the same way that other mechanical switches do.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 13, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Agreed posted:

Man, trying to assemble a full WASD set is confusing. I need to call them and ensure compatibility, gotta do that tomorrow. If I'm going to commit to "screw the LEDs" I'm going to want some more visible keycaps :-/

Although, I could RMA it, sell the K60 for a respectable price, and put that and some other sundry for-sale crap toward a real made-in-Japan individually weighted ergonomic Topre board. I've been really wanting to do that. And if I don't like it, easy to move since they hold their value well. Hrm hrm hrm hrm. God drat this is an expensive peripheral to get "into" haha. No macros on the Topre, but the tech sounds like it would basically feel like typing on a brand-new, high quality rubber dome board forever. And the distributed weighting of the keys seems like a brilliant feature if it's executed correctly. I love the low actuation force of the Red switches, and I could get along with Black switches too, so actuation force in (and slightly below?!) that range seems like it would be really comfy to type on.

I assume Topre are pretty much silent, is that correct? As I've noted in the past I like the way Blues feel (they don't especially remind me of a Model M, but I like the way they feel anyway) but I would be killed with my own keyboard for bringing that noisemaker home. I like that the reds are very quiet even when typing quickly because of the ease of their actuation, I would want that out of the Topre board. The technology of it leads me to believe they'd likely be even quieter than the Reds or Browns, because they've got the robust dome with its softer stop, it doesn't bottom out the same way that other mechanical switches do.

Topre are basically a dull thud that ends up sounding like raindrops if you type fast enough. You can even buy a quiet hhkb but it's like $400.

I kind of wish there was a topre keyboard just slightly bigger than the hhkb with arrow keys (it ends up not being an issue if you use vi key bindings)

For macros I'd rather use a separate keypad or use chords.

Backlit keys are only useful if you can't touch type, scrubs :smuggo:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Malcolm XML posted:

Topre are basically a dull thud that ends up sounding like raindrops if you type fast enough. You can even buy a quiet hhkb but it's like $400.

I kind of wish there was a topre keyboard just slightly bigger than the hhkb with arrow keys (it ends up not being an issue if you use vi key bindings)

For macros I'd rather use a separate keypad or use chords.

The Leopold FC660C is probably what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRpZKfp0-Lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ibtKN32r1U

Topre isn't SUPER quiet, because the upstroke means plastic gets pushed against plastic; the HHKB "Silent" editions I think have padding internally between the upper half of the body and the key parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiFZtuKypi0

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 13, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

I think all of us are likely touch typists since we spend time talking to each other about keyboards of all things on a nerdy internet forum. Shocking news, typos happen, accidental misalignment happens, and do you 100%, for sure, have the `~!@#$%^&*()[{]}-_=+;:'",<.>/? keys so ingrained into your fingers that you never so much as glance to see what even a single one of them are, ever? We have backspace keys for a reason, even the elite typists who use keyboards with the fewest keys and less features than any other keyboard on the planet are going to occasionally goof. Glancing down to make sure you're hitting what you mean to isn't some awful crutch, it's just part of typing.

Maybe the folks who go with totally blank keycaps adjust out of necessity, but I am not at that level of give a poo poo about what I or other people think about my typing to be perfectly honest. I'm sure I should aspire to it, it'd level up my nerd by a billion and everyone would look at me and think "I don't even know if he's using qwerty but he is the coolest person I have ever seen in my life!" and then i would be the president and an astronaut poo poo would be cash

Now backlighting in particular I agree is a useless feature in my opinion, worse than useless as it takes a very durable switch and adds a very failure-prone part to it - but just having a label on the keys saying what they are is hardly a sin :kiddo:

Edit: Cherry Reds with red o-rings are really quiet, for what that's worth, by the way - I got my first K60 in that condition courtesy of legendary awesome dude Dogen, who WILL RECEIVE his wrist rest at some point in the very near future honest; I ended up taking them off to ship it off for warranty and didn't bother to put them back on the new one when it came in because it's easy to just get used to the travel and not a big deal, but in terms of quietness without disrupting the typing experience those were pretty damned neat. I still have them, I might put 'em on, I don't know. At least on the alphabet and related keys. The K60 is way more prone to pinging out a note with its aluminum front when bottoming out than the K95, probably because the K95 has the full wrist-rest screwed into it along with the plastic bit for the macro bank stuck to the side absorbing shock and turning it into just a quick sound rather than letting it actually briefly sound a note.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 13, 2013

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Being elitist about touch typing is probably one of the least cool things you could do in the keyboard thread. :cmon:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Since someone mentioned backspace I decided to try writing a short paragraph about keyboards right off the top of my head, without using backspace! :eng101:

quote:

When I go into an IRC fhat rootm or an online forum like Something awful I like to use the keyboard to enhance the ability to communicate with prople from all over the world. Imagine with no backspace we would have to live with our terrible grammatical and spelling errors that pop up not to mention the loss of another key to use for vdieo games, even though most people have veen ingrained into the wasd standard and as such the keus around it more than useless backspaces halfwat across the map. Oh mu god look at this post, I swore not to touch basckspace and now it is giving me brain cancer just triying to read it, I think. Oops I backspaced a bit of that on reflex saccidentallu.

:eng99: Just disgraceful, I can't believe I typed all that out

nftyw fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 13, 2013

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
Ended up having to do quite a bit of typing today on the new K70 by chance so I was able to put it through it's paces a bit more thoroughly. The Cherry Reds feel great, I'm not bottoming out on anything except the spacebar every so often and even that is reduced compared to when I bought it a couple days ago. It's just a pleasure to type on. If anybody else can get it for the $109 sale price I highly recommend it if you are ok with Reds

Really glad I have the reds in the end actually compared to the Cherry Brown K70 that comes out next week, I'm already used to how much force is needed and I definitely don't feel like any sort of tension depress feedback mechanism would be necessary at all, I'm kinda surprised reviews say the Reds aren't as good for typing on, if you can touch type and you get a sense of how much force to put down on the keycaps I don't rally see a reason to have any other feedback compared to what I'm getting already from this thing. (with that said I've never tried the browns so I'm super curious, just my initial impression, I think somebody said a few pages ago that you can sort of feel when you've pushed hard enough for the key to 'activate' and that's totally true, there's enough tension in the spring where you can tell, it's hard to describe if that makes no sense)

edit - oh god so we're doing this are wek? ok, not using a space bar since I presssed err i mean typed edit in this sentence. Not going too badly per se but I've definitely got to go slower an dreally think about what i'm typing awhead of time as in that last sentence i made a bunch of mistakes because i started to go too fast . Hm interesting stuff, kinda a neat thought exercise but I can't imagine having to actually use a keyboard with no backspace key, what a dissaster that would be for typing in general, on the plus side it's not like i'm having to actaully look at the key sor anything, learning to touch type when i was a wee kid was progbably the best thing I ever did in my life (well uh... until i get married i mean ...)

Hardtarget fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 13, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Agreed posted:

Topres can be nearly silent; your typing speed will just go down because you need to keep your fingers on the key as it travels back up. I made a video:

https://app.box.com/shared/static/f0dvv5qmuufg8rw87zkb.mp4

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
All this keycap talk made me wonder if there were people who made replacement keycap sets for Model M keyboards, so I tried looking it up but apparently Unicomp doesn't do the whole fancy colored replacement thing. Would be neat to dress up these older keyboards with fancy colors, though it'd make the market for the things even more cutthroat as people grab them up, plus the fact that some of the keys are one-piece affairs (space, shift) and others are two piece.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

nftyw posted:

All this keycap talk made me wonder if there were people who made replacement keycap sets for Model M keyboards, so I tried looking it up but apparently Unicomp doesn't do the whole fancy colored replacement thing. Would be neat to dress up these older keyboards with fancy colors, though it'd make the market for the things even more cutthroat as people grab them up, plus the fact that some of the keys are one-piece affairs (space, shift) and others are two piece.

I want to say I've seen keycap replacements on ebay for Model Ms.

Okay, my turn, a paragraph about my favorite rock below, no backspace, it's 4 in the morning. Begin now

Feldspar ios a pretty cool rock. A lot of its properties are unique to it, but if I had to pick a favorite favia crap. A favorite variety I would pick labradorite because it exhibits a unique form of lumine well that isn't quite right it's basically a Shiller effect thing but it's specific to labradorite as opposed to other things, it's quite shimmery and the effect is referred to specifically as labradoressence which I thinbk is pretty neat. Feldspar also has quite a few industrial uses which makes it boring to a lot of folks I guess but hey o rocks are just rocks. Or as hank would say, MINERALS.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

nftyw posted:

Unicomp has a few colors available but not in the range you'll find for most Cherry switches:
http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons

I believe if you want a whole set in a nonstandard color you just have to call them for a special order rather than order each key individually. Since PBT keycaps are printed with Dye Sublimation you can't get reliable legends on darker keycaps which is sort of a thing with PBT vs. ABS plastic which can be doubleshot, infilled or lasered (though only doubleshots keep the color reliably).

They also have some small batches of different keys, some geekhack, some other:
http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/SBLE

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

do you 100%, for sure, have the `~!@#$%^&*()[{]}-_=+;:'",<.>/? keys so ingrained into your fingers that you never so much as glance to see what even a single one of them are, ever?

Yes. That aside, I use my own custom keyboard layout, even on a QWERTY keyboard at work, so looking at the keys wouldn't help me a great deal.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
When I got my G710+, I was interested in the backlighting. Everyone I know tried to give me poo poo about it being backlit, and how it's a useless feature, but I just think it looks kinda cool. :shrug:

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

unpronounceable posted:

When I got my G710+, I was interested in the backlighting. Everyone I know tried to give me poo poo about it being backlit, and how it's a useless feature, but I just think it looks kinda cool. :shrug:
I've said this a few times in the thread, but I touch type (incorrectly) at about 120-140 words a minute, and I paid 20 dollars more than I wanted to in order to get a keyboard that was backlit. Anyone that says they can enter a randomized 16 digit alpha-numeric + symbols password without looking at their keyboard is a filthy liar. :colbert:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Yes. That aside, I use my own custom keyboard layout, even on a QWERTY keyboard at work, so looking at the keys wouldn't help me a great deal.

Awesome, I did allow for people using blanks and even joked about non-standard layouts in the rest of the post, but the thrust of it was that I don't understand how it matters. What's the point of making a big deal about being a SUPER touch typist instead of a regular touch typist, or looking down on others for not typing the way you do? Not saying that you, personally, consider everyone else to be inferior human beings because of your typing but there are a crazy amount of people who do, especially among the dvorak and onward or blank key caps set. Disdain over something that doesn't matter in anyone's day-to-day. I just don't get it.

I mean :hfive: and all that, I just don't have an opinion on your typing vs. my typing under pretty much any circumstances and I would hope that you're not among the people who do have an opinion on that. It's silly.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Agreed posted:

I want to say I've seen keycap replacements on ebay for Model Ms.

Okay, my turn, a paragraph about my favorite rock below, no backspace, it's 4 in the morning. Begin now

Feldspar ios a pretty cool rock. A lot of its properties are unique to it, but if I had to pick a favorite favia crap. A favorite variety I would pick labradorite because it exhibits a unique form of lumine well that isn't quite right it's basically a Shiller effect thing but it's specific to labradorite as opposed to other things, it's quite shimmery and the effect is referred to specifically as labradoressence which I thinbk is pretty neat. Feldspar also has quite a few industrial uses which makes it boring to a lot of folks I guess but hey o rocks are just rocks. Or as hank would say, MINERALS.

nftyw posted:

I'm pretty sure if you hang around Geekhack.org and Deskthority.net you can find someone doing a ridiculous Model M group buy.

You're probably looking to spend more on keys than I paid for my first car, but those people don't make sense anyway.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

I mean :hfive: and all that, I just don't have an opinion on your typing vs. my typing under pretty much any circumstances and I would hope that you're not among the people who do have an opinion on that. It's silly.

I don't really have an opinion of what people want to buy one way or the other, or look down on people, seriously, looking down on someone because they use a common layout or want letters on their keys would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

I just thought I'd chime in to say that some people do memorise the more obscure keys. Hell, I'm sure there are plenty of people around here who memorised combinations to type symbols using the numpad! I don't have a blank keyboard anyway, though, because it was more fun to get custom WASD keycaps. What a fantastic business they have, they really filled a void in the market.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 13, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Confession time: I'm actually a pretty crappy typist. I never transitioned to full touch typing, so I frequently look at the keyboard when I type. It feels like I know where the keys are, but I still need the visual targeting for my fingers. I can touch type with sustained effort to not look, until I run into something hard like "unlucky hovercraft" then my fingers get tied up in knots and transposed letters.

My typing wpm is not terrible, but not great for someone that types a lot. So everyone can look down on me if they like. Then again I'm pretty sure I speak at barely 100 wpm. I'm just slow. :saddowns:

However I still don't care about backlit keyboards because I can turn on a light. I'm sure 15-year-old me, staying up way too late in complete darkness so mom wouldn't know I was playing some SSI gold box RPG at 2am, would have loved a keyboard with LEDs in it. But I haven't been 15 for quite a long while.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos

Klyith posted:

Confession time: I'm actually a pretty crappy typist. I never transitioned to full touch typing, so I frequently look at the keyboard when I type. It feels like I know where the keys are, but I still need the visual targeting for my fingers. I can touch type with sustained effort to not look, until I run into something hard like "unlucky hovercraft" then my fingers get tied up in knots and transposed letters.

My typing wpm is not terrible, but not great for someone that types a lot. So everyone can look down on me if they like. Then again I'm pretty sure I speak at barely 100 wpm. I'm just slow. :saddowns:

However I still don't care about backlit keyboards because I can turn on a light. I'm sure 15-year-old me, staying up way too late in complete darkness so mom wouldn't know I was playing some SSI gold box RPG at 2am, would have loved a keyboard with LEDs in it. But I haven't been 15 for quite a long while.

You may want to try mavis beacon or some such thing, if you type a lot learning how to touch type is really amazing (even if you think you are good you can be so much better)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I don't really have an opinion of what people want to buy one way or the other, or look down on people, seriously, looking down on someone because they use a common layout or want letters on their keys would be a pretty stupid thing to do.

I just thought I'd chime in to say that some people do memorise the more obscure keys. Hell, I'm sure there are plenty of people around here who memorised combinations to type symbols using the numpad! I don't have a blank keyboard anyway, though, because it was more fun to get custom WASD keycaps. What a fantastic business they have, they really filled a void in the market.

poo poo that reminds me I need to call the WASD guys as soon as possible, crap crap crap. I hope they're not already closed for the day.

And now that I think about it, you know, my fingers seem to know almost unerringly where those symbols are too, but it's a conventional board layout. Mainly have trouble with ^&* but I didn't have to look down just now to type to-the-power-of/and/ampersand/asterisk so I guess I may be overstating the l33tness of knowing what keys are what when shifted. And, yeah, I know a bunch of alt codes because I am a nerd, but I feel that makes me worse, not better. :qqsay:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Somefeng Geeky on eBay is a good keycap source too.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I saw the prices for some of those keys and if anything I could maybe buy keycaps for a row of keys or a particular block, but going full a full set I might as well drop a hundred on a whole new keyboard. It was more of a curiosity than anything else.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
So my Blackwidow Ultimate is completely hosed (spacebar has to be wrestled to work, literally every word I am typing right now requires a full second or two to space between.)

I am looking for a keyboard to replace it. I can pricematch the G710 to $129 at Best Buy. Is that any good? Failing that - also I don't care either way about mechanical switches - what's a good sub-$100 keyboard or something else that's a good deal?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Protocol7 posted:

So my Blackwidow Ultimate is completely hosed (spacebar has to be wrestled to work, literally every word I am typing right now requires a full second or two to space between.)

I am looking for a keyboard to replace it. I can pricematch the G710 to $129 at Best Buy. Is that any good? Failing that - also I don't care either way about mechanical switches - what's a good sub-$100 keyboard or something else that's a good deal?

Could you try to give us something more to work with? I can find lots of sub $100 keyboards, and the variety of choices literally could fill pages. So let's try it this way:

Do you like mechanical keys?
Do you want a fullsize or tenkyeless or compact board?
Do you want anything fancy like backlighting or media keys and all that poo poo?

You know what? gently caress it. Found you a great deal, saved you 110 bucks

Serious link: http://amzn.com/B00DKXXAIS

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 14, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I was kind of hoping the fact I was using an OG Blackwidow Ultimate answered all of those questions. Regardless, you clearly failed to answer the initial question I asked and didn't even bother to read the part where I said I don't care either way about mechanical switches.

e: Whoops, didn't see your second edit when you wrote this. I like the looks of that CM, but I'd ultimately like something with a wrist rest - all other features come second. Backlights are lovely and I could do without, but I won't cry like a baby if a keyboard has one.

Is that CM one of the ones manufactured by the good manufacturer?

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 14, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If the space bar is hosed up, have you tried removing it to see if you can ID the problem a bit better? With your description I can't tell what's actually happening, but it might just be the stabilizers rather than the actual switch. You may need to improvise a keycap puller: I made one out of some thin wire that works fine.

Protocol7 posted:

I was kind of hoping the fact I was using an OG Blackwidow Ultimate answered all of those questions. Regardless, you clearly failed to answer the initial question I asked and didn't even bother to read the part where I said I don't care either way about mechanical switches.

e: Whoops, didn't see your second edit when you wrote this. I like the looks of that CM, but I'd ultimately like something with a wrist rest - all other features come second. Backlights are lovely and I could do without, but I won't cry like a baby if a keyboard has one.

If you like the key feel of the original blackwidow, the key color you want is Cherry Blue. If you want to try something a little less clicky, browns might be ok as well.

That CM Wasabi linked is a good one (costar OEM, high quality). Personally if you don't care about macros or dedicated media keys I'd just get that and buy a good separate wrist rest. If you really want an integrated rest, I'd choose this Corsair over the G710+. Same price, and the Corsair boards are quite slick.

If you don't care about mechanical switches it's very hard to get recommendations. The problem is that there are too many rubber dome keyboards to choose from, and when a models changes it might not feel the same. Honestly I think consistency is one of the big reasons that cherrys are the bomb. There are rubber domes that can feel pretty good, like some of the original MS boards. But they're quite variable, while every board with cherry switches will feel almost the same.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
What key type will have the closest resemblance to the Logitech rubber dome / scissor keyboards and will be good for FPS games? Blacks?

Vulcan fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 14, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Protocol7 posted:

For less than a hundred, I'm not seeing stuff with a handrest. I personally own a CM Storm Quickfire; it's been to Afghanistan with me, it's a pretty sturdy board, so the big brother to it doesn't seem to be different. That said, I cannot speak for others' experience -- I could be lucky.

Only options I'm finding with the rest option, within your budget:

http://amzn.com/B004HPTHE4
http://amzn.com/B009FTWKYG
And some various Chinese "eSports" keyboards, which I have had no experience with.

Vulcan posted:

What key type will have the closest resemblance to the Logitech rubber dome / scissor keyboards and will be good for FPS games? Blacks?

Topre kinda has that rubber dome snap; scissor keyboards don't really have an analogue. If you like light touches, go for reds; blacks are also considered really good for gaming, also light, just not as light as reds.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 14, 2013

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Thermaltake Meka is questionable: it has black switches, and hasn't been very popular so there's not much feedback around to know the build quality or reliability. It completely removes the left windows key in favor of it's fn key so if you want a lwin it's not an enable-disable option, it's just gone.

CM Storm Trigger is semi-questionable: it's been discontinued, was ok-but-not-great to begin with, but it's a good deal with those closeout sales if you like the two colors that are left. I forgot that had a wrist rest though! The one with blue might be Protocol7's best choice, if you're on a budget.

Vulcan posted:

Wasabi the J posted:

Topre kinda has that rubber dome snap; scissor keyboards don't really have an analogue. If you like light touches, go for reds; blacks are also considered really good for gaming, also light, just not as light as reds.
Blacks are not light. 60 grams of force to actuate, 80g to fully bottom out, and a steeper curve than the other types. They're lighter than some buckling springs, but stiffer than most keyboard keys including domes. Only get a keyboard with blacks if you know you want something firm.

The thing is that none of the cherry types really feel like a rubber dome at all. The blues were designed to mimic the feel of a buckling spring, but those don't feel like domes either. Rubber domes have almost all of the resistance at the top of the key travel. You press on them, the dome resists, then it collapses and --squish-- you press the rubber down against the conductive sheet.

A Torpre of course feels like a rubber dome because it is a rubber dome.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Klyith posted:

Thermaltake Meka is questionable: it has black switches, and hasn't been very popular so there's not much feedback around to know the build quality or reliability. It completely removes the left windows key in favor of it's fn key so if you want a lwin it's not an enable-disable option, it's just gone.

CM Storm Trigger is semi-questionable: it's been discontinued, was ok-but-not-great to begin with, but it's a good deal with those closeout sales if you like the two colors that are left. I forgot that had a wrist rest though! The one with blue might be Protocol7's best choice, if you're on a budget.

Blacks are not light. 60 grams of force to actuate, 80g to fully bottom out, and a steeper curve than the other types. They're lighter than some buckling springs, but stiffer than most keyboard keys including domes. Only get a keyboard with blacks if you know you want something firm.

The thing is that none of the cherry types really feel like a rubber dome at all. The blues were designed to mimic the feel of a buckling spring, but those don't feel like domes either. Rubber domes have almost all of the resistance at the top of the key travel. You press on them, the dome resists, then it collapses and --squish-- you press the rubber down against the conductive sheet.

A Torpre of course feels like a rubber dome because it is a rubber dome.

Light wasn't the right word to use, but maybe "requires less smacking" is better, for describing the main difference between blacks and domes.

Not needing to bottom out makes a huge impact on typing feel, so that's kinda where my motivation to say "light" came from.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The K70 looks like it's exactly what I want. I just got a check from my university bursar since they screwed up tuition, and it's for $150, so I think I know what that money is going towards. Thanks goons.

Hardtarget
Mar 28, 2010

Rolls on Shabbos
Was just going to suggest a k70, read back a few pages and there was a ton of talk about it, then I got it a few days ago and I've absolutely fallen in love with it, which then spurned more discussion about it in the thread. Full size wrist wrest which is what you are looking for and the build quality is unbelievably good. I was able to get the black version for 109 but that is up to 150 on amazon for some reason now but the silver version seems to still be 109, who knows for how long though. It seems pretty popular right now.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Have a steelseries 6gv2 but not sure im a huge fan of the black switches, and my a key seems to be double typing so I want to replace it.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=82596&promoid=1307

This a good one? Seems like a good price.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phiberoptik posted:

This a good one? Seems like a good price.
Ducky is fine. And that is a pretty good price for a board with brown keys (which have been generally the most expensive ever since logitech got into mech boards with brown only and bought up the supply).

With the black switches which part do you not like, stiffness or the lack of feedback? And the Steelseries 6Gv2 should probably go on the not recommended list, they seem to have frequent QC problems on that product. People may swear by their mice, but whatever OEM is making the 6Gv2 is not up to the same standards.

VVVVVVV
Did you try browns for just a short time, or stick with them for a week or so?
I agree that initially I felt exactly that way, though I didn't have quite so negative a response to it. But after a pretty short time I was completely used to them. Now I don't even consciously feel the bump unless I put one finger on a key and slowly rock it up and down. Regular typing at normal speed it's not even there, just a bit of feedback so I'm not bottoming out the keys as hard.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 15, 2013

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Be advised that browns kinda feel like gritty reds; I ended up not liking them because the "bump" they talk about feels like a big grain of sand and doesn't match the actuation point.

YMMV some people really like browns and clears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Blacks are a tiny bit stuff for my liking, and I'd also like some feedback without noise if possible since I don't want to bug others. If I wasn't worried about that I'd probably get blues.

• Locked thread