Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd be careful with Mist-X (the Rain-X for inside windscreens) with visors (and glasses for that matter) because it's formulated for glass and can attack coatings and fog certain plastics permanently.

Also why can't I shower in my glasses? I don't, normally, because I'm not insane, but my glasses are normally in the bathroom and get misty and poo poo - am I doing something wrong or what?

I have replaced hundreds of temple arm springs (really the arms as a whole because you can't take them apart usually) due to corrosion, and there is a strong correlation between people regularly needing them replaced and those who shower with their glasses on.

Also half of the facial cleansers and expensive shampoos and body washes have either pumice or plastic grit in them (which will destroy your glasses) or alcohols or other chemicals that will destroy the coatings, just like with RainX.

CR-39 and polycarbonate lenses (two most common) have, from the factory, an anti-scratch coating on them (I can't even order CR-39 blanks without it anymore). This coating, while scratch-resistant, is vulnerable to attack from approximately one hojillion different chemicals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So, this is how my Uly starts in the mornings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PEEgnyvZBs

For the video impaired, it sounds like "Chug... Chugchugchugvroom". Is this normal, or am I right to be just a little bit concerned?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Sounds like 2 of the pistons aren't firing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

JP Money posted:

Sounds like 2 of the pistons aren't firing.
And that would be all of them.

Sounds normal to me, I had a friend with a Uly and it always sounded the same.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

And that would be all of them.

Sounds normal to me, I had a friend with a Uly and it always sounded the same.

Most, if not all of my other bikes have been:
"Chuggitachuggitachuggitachuggitachuggita."
"Chuggitachuggitachuggitachuggitachugchugchugchugchug *pull the choke* chugVroom!"

so I'm not used to bikes that start quickly but with a pause.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

mainks posted:

Yes, yes I think that is what I am saying.

Sounds to me like that's what you're saying.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Could be something with the goofy harley firing order.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

Most, if not all of my other bikes have been:
"Chuggitachuggitachuggitachuggitachugchugchugchugchug *pull the choke* chugVroom!"

so I'm not used to bikes that start quickly but with a pause.

Clean terminals, jump the starter relay manually, see if it still hangs. Might be a starter on the way out, might be a lovely connection between the starter switch/assembly and the starter relay, might be some other resistance somewhere in the system.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

I have replaced hundreds of temple arm springs (really the arms as a whole because you can't take them apart usually) due to corrosion, and there is a strong correlation between people regularly needing them replaced and those who shower with their glasses on.

Also half of the facial cleansers and expensive shampoos and body washes have either pumice or plastic grit in them (which will destroy your glasses) or alcohols or other chemicals that will destroy the coatings, just like with RainX.

CR-39 and polycarbonate lenses (two most common) have, from the factory, an anti-scratch coating on them (I can't even order CR-39 blanks without it anymore). This coating, while scratch-resistant, is vulnerable to attack from approximately one hojillion different chemicals.

Ah, okay. I always manage to break my glasses long before corrosion becomes an issue so I think that means I win.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

edit: nevermind

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

For the video impaired, it sounds like "Chug... Chugchugchugvroom". Is this normal, or am I right to be just a little bit concerned?

They all do that don't worry about it, reset your tps.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Good place to order some of the Buell turn signals everyone uses?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

What can I do to make my green DRZ400 easier to start from cold? Currently it goes well once the engine has warmed up but my morning routine usually involves cranking the starter for 3-4 periods of 10-15 seconds each before it finally catches and starts, then I have to constantly give it throttle for another couple of minutes otherwise it'll stall (but fire back up immediately if I hit the starter).

Edit: Holy gently caress I'm stupid, I didn't know the bike had a choke but when I went looking around the petcock there's a knob labelled "Choke". Thanks V.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 13, 2013

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Use the choke? :confused:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

My 12ss starts the same way, which I think is in quite a civilized manner. My dad's sportster always runs on a single cylinder for a couple of seconds first. Also, today I fired it up after getting gas and I got a huge bang out of the exhaust :) The first chug is probably the starter engaging or hitting compression.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I've got a KZ1000-J2 with really old and hardened rubber carb holders and manifolds. They're so bad I can't get the carbs reinstalled on the bike. I was looking at spending $100 for new rubber when I happened on this solution that supposedly brings the elasticity back to old rubber. It's sold as a commercial product under the name "Rubber Renue", but the active ingredients are 70% xylene and 30% oil of wintergreen, both of which are readily available much cheaper and in great volume for soaking parts.

I'm told that a 24 hour soaking will make the rubber soft and pliable (any more than that and they will become swollen and spongy).

Has any got any experience with this concoction?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Wintergreen oil is the common go-to for softening rubber boots.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Thor's Tire Prep 12 or wintergreen and xylene (same poo poo) work wonders, and pretty permanently.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

n8r posted:

Could be something with the goofy harley firing order.

One, then the other, then the other, then the other... How many firing orders can you have with a twin?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone have the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table? Is it good? Is it garbage? Should I be looking at something else?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone have the Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table? Is it good? Is it garbage? Should I be looking at something else?

I used one at a garage and it seemed really flimsy. The guy says they use it all the time and it's never failed, though. I think everything is strong enough, just the tolerances are huge, so it just kinda rattles around. Also, the panels aren't 100% square, so there's some oilcanning and whatnot. It just seems really, really flimsy and cheap, like it's always JUST ABOUT to break, but it hasn't yet. The guy said he's had it for a year or so with a regular flux of bikes up to large size, but mostly dirtbikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Nerobro posted:

One, then the other, then the other, then the other... How many firing orders can you have with a twin?

You can twingle a parallel, but there's nothing remotely exotic about how Harley does it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Nerobro posted:

Anywhere from 0 to 360 degree, actually, I would think

E: may be conflating order and angle

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You could do something weird with a split crank pin, but Harley doesn't have those.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Is it okay to buy used equipment off eBay or Craigslist? I know with any other type of helmet it's a huge no, but is everything else pretty good? I've gotta pick up some basic equipment prior to the MSF course.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Is it okay to buy used equipment off eBay or Craigslist? I know with any other type of helmet it's a huge no, but is everything else pretty good? I've gotta pick up some basic equipment prior to the MSF course.

Did you read the list posted a bit earlier in response to some other post of yours? Other than a helmet you need boots and jeans.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Backov posted:

Did you read the list posted a bit earlier in response to some other post of yours? Other than a helmet you need boots and jeans.

And gloves.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Backov posted:

Yep, definitely did. I was asking if I should/shouldn't buy something used here. I saw a bunch of cheap helmets on Craigslist and I'm assuming they're bad, but figured I'd ask rather than just assume. Obviously jeans and boots I can handle. I guess all I'd really need to pick up used would be a helmet.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Yep, definitely did. I was asking if I should/shouldn't buy something used here. I saw a bunch of cheap helmets on Craigslist and I'm assuming they're bad, but figured I'd ask rather than just assume. Obviously jeans and boots I can handle. I guess all I'd really need to pick up used would be a helmet.

Spend $100 on a new helmet. You're A-OK buying used gloves on craigslist if you can't swing $25 for new halfway decent gloves.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/search?query=almost+free

This site has good, cheap gear, and often does 'almost free' deals to clear out inventory. Those first two jackets are one of those deals. You pay full price for one of those jackets, say 150, then they give you a giftcard for 125. Pretty good deal if you're gonna be spending more money there. I got a pair of gloves for like 85 with a 75 dollar gift card I still have to spend.

If you watch their closeouts you can get good starting gear for cheap.

If it's for the MSF you can show up in Chuck's, jeans, a lumberjack shirt and work gloves and be good. They just want you covered mainly.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

For the MSF? Where I'm from it's two parts, only one of which involves you going on a real road. For that first bit, gloves are really overkill.

If you're going on the road, sure, gloves as well.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yeah, go with a gmax or low end scorpion helmet new rather than buying on craigslist. Unless you enjoy the potentiality of face/head sweat, dandruff and lice. Oh, also if they've dropped it (which is usually fine) you may not know by looking at it.

And budget for some kind of overpant at least, as a man that's wrecked in jeans, I can attest to them not doing poo poo.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I wore a denim jacket and jeans, hiking boots, and thor motocross gloves that I got for $5 off CL for my MSF. The instructors said you can even use heavy duty gardening gloves. As long as there's no skin showing anywhere, and your boots cover the ankle. The only person they took aside was a woman that was wearing fashion boots and a fashion (like, high fashion) leather jacket.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Definitely getting gloves. Probably wearing combat boots with the laces tucked in, etc. I'll check out that site for good deals on a helmet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
If you are getting a helmet solely for the purpose of doing the MSF, I'd say getting one off Craigslist is fine, but don't use it for actual riding. This thread and the gear thread has many good spergouts why.

Also it'll be a crappy helmet and inevitably smell like old man hair and product.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Looks good for the examiner too. Kinda get the feeling they'd be less inclined to pass someone wearing no gear.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Backov posted:

For the MSF? Where I'm from it's two parts, only one of which involves you going on a real road. For that first bit, gloves are really overkill.

If you're going on the road, sure, gloves as well.

Where I'm from, none of the MSF was on the road, but they required gloves anyway.

If you go down at 15 mph during their swoopy parking lot drills, your hands are going to hit the ground first. I'd much rather have something abrasion-resistant between my palm and the asphalt. Heck, I've crashed at 3mph and been appreciative for gloves.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
You can use yard work gloves for the MSF. Don't get ones that are too floppy. Again, don't ride on the road like this, though you will see people that do.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Safety Dance posted:

Where I'm from, none of the MSF was on the road, but they required gloves anyway.

If you go down at 15 mph during their swoopy parking lot drills, your hands are going to hit the ground first. I'd much rather have something abrasion-resistant between my palm and the asphalt. Heck, I've crashed at 3mph and been appreciative for gloves.

Ya true enough there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!
I'm test-riding a CBR 600RR this week, after riding 250s for four years. Anything about the cbr in particular that I should ask about or be aware of?