Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ez posted:

Horrible cameos? I think you're forgetting something.

Holy ol' Jesus!
One of my favorite subtle movie moments is in that segment, when you see a bottle of Popov or two around Jordy Verrill's house. There aren't that many depictions of that awful stuff in many movies. When I was in my early 20's and drinking large amounts of it, I always enjoyed seeing it in my viewings of Creepshow.

Fun fact "Popov" backwards is exactly the sound a drinker makes when over-consuming that particular beverage. "VOPOP!! VOPOP!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.
Not a movie, but the general consensus seems to be that it's okay. In the first few episodes of season 3 of Breaking Bad following the plane crash, almost all the adult characters shown onscreen are wearing the blue ribbon to honour the victims - except Walt and Jesse, who are arguably responsible for the crash happening in the first place.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I like that Saul's still wearing it into season 5B, which makes sense considering the relatively short passage of in-universe time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah, it still seems crazy to me that while the viewer has been watching the show for about 6 years now, that only a year and a half or so has passed for the characters. I think that the writers should have adjusted it to be longer.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah, it still seems crazy to me that while the viewer has been watching the show for about 6 years now, that only a year and a half or so has passed for the characters. I think that the writers should have adjusted it to be longer.

It's caused continuity issues for the writers as well; at one point someone mentions that killing Osama bin Laden was easier than the job they're planning on doing, but the 5th season should be set in 2010 or so.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, when people watch it in the future they'll probably see it over a couple of weeks, so

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Also, Vince Gilligan has said that the show takes place "in the present", rather than any specific year.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

Also, Vince Gilligan has said that the show takes place "in the present", rather than any specific year.

Yeah, but that must have been one hell of a year: Bin Laden being killed and water discovered on Mars.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Well, they give Walt's birth year as 1959 and age as 50 so they've firmly placed the first season in 2009. The passage of time is pretty clear so I think it was just a mistake.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

All on Black posted:

Well, they give Walt's birth year as 1959 and age as 50 so they've firmly placed the first season in 2009. The passage of time is pretty clear so I think it was just a mistake.

It's less a "mistake" and more "they don't give a poo poo about what date the show is placed in."

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
It was a mistake. An honest, blatant mistake but who cares?

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

I like that Saul's still wearing it into season 5B, which makes sense considering the relatively short passage of in-universe time.

Oh, that's what that was? I noticed it during a scene in last week's episode, and I was trying to think to myself what it represented (I figured it had a real life parallel).

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

Saul has also been working on a class action suit over the crash, which going to motivate him to wear it longer.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

In The Princess Bride the medical tubing on THE MACHINE used to suck away year of a victim's life is made from some sort of intestine. In the close ups, you can see veins with dried blood in them and it never occurred to me until today that, of course, they wouldn't have industrial plastics.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kruller posted:

The Good Companions has 4 sad masks and 1 happy mask, which is where the first guy gets body snatched.

No. He gets grabbed in the Trusty Servant, while King is talking with the Reverend Green. The good companions drama masks refer to the fact that The Good Companions is where they put on the incredibly stilted 'buddies drinking' farce.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PJOmega posted:

No. He gets grabbed in the Trusty Servant, while King is talking with the Reverend Green. The good companions drama masks refer to the fact that The Good Companions is where they put on the incredibly stilted 'buddies drinking' farce.

Yeah, only Gary wants to be there. He's the smiling mask, the other four are the frowning masks.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It's a movie full of subtle moments, but in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, when Lucas Lee introduces himself as a member of "The League of Evil Exes," Scott says quietly "The league of evil axes??" It's such a tiny, easy to miss line, but it cracks me up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched The Killing recently (well, at least the first season and a few episodes of the second before I couldn't stand it anymore), and one thing that I thought they did well was showing Holder as a smoker.

Other shows have done it well of course, but I've noticed that on most shows smoking is such basically an affectation that the bad guy does, possibly blowing smoke in the face of the person they're talking to. Holder, however, just lights up when he's bored or when the car stops, since his partner won't let him smoke in the car.

Small touch, but it stood out for me.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
On vacation recently, I was flipping channels one night and came across Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes on TV. In the first film, Moriarty's cameos are cloaked in shadow, and played by Ed Tolputt, uncredited. However, since the sequel came out with Moriarty played by Jared Harris, the first film's dialogue for Moriarty had been re-dubbed with Harris' voice.

Nice little touch.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Nice little touch.

Unless you're Ed Tolputt.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
In Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when Joel and Clementine meet in the train at the beginning of the movie, Clementine mentions Huckleberry Hound and "My Darling, Clementine," and Joel says that he has no idea what she's talking about.

At the end of the movie at the beach party where Joel and Clementine actually first met, it was Joel who came up with the Huckleberry Hound thing. (So after having their memories erased, Joel forgot about the joke while Clementine remembered it.)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's a movie full of subtle moments, but in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, when Lucas Lee introduces himself as a member of "The League of Evil Exes," Scott says quietly "The league of evil axes??" It's such a tiny, easy to miss line, but it cracks me up.

Edgar Wright really has a love for little background details.

Watch the small lens flares in the background of this scene;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFvRs2dY3gA

When Ramona is talking about defeating her exes, the tiny reflections/lens flares behind her are X shaped. The ones behind Scott are always heart-shaped, and they change to hearts behind Ramona just before they kiss.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

When Ramona is talking about defeating her exes, the tiny reflections/lens flares behind her are X shaped. The ones behind Scott are always heart-shaped, and they change to hearts behind Ramona just before they kiss.

Holy poo poo.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

krnhotwings posted:

In Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind when Joel and Clementine meet in the train at the beginning of the movie, Clementine mentions Huckleberry Hound and "My Darling, Clementine," and Joel says that he has no idea what she's talking about.

At the end of the movie at the beach party where Joel and Clementine actually first met, it was Joel who came up with the Huckleberry Hound thing. (So after having their memories erased, Joel forgot about the joke while Clementine remembered it.)

I took it as meaning he didn't even remember the show any more (not just the reference), because they were deleting any memory that was connected to her.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Carthag posted:

I took it as meaning he didn't even remember the show any more (not just the reference), because they were deleting any memory that was connected to her.

This was the case. They deleted that memory when he attempted to use it as a space to hide her when he was a baby and was in the sink being washed by his mom. His mom was singing the song at the time. That was when they freaked out because he "went off the map" and had to call the doctor in to fix it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

An even more subtle thing is that Ramona's lens flares actually turn into hearts when Scott asks her if they are dating. :kimchi:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The sound design was excellent in that movie. Take that little bus DING right after Ramona says 'sure.' I don't play WoW but I'll be damned if it wasn't a reference to WoW's level up bing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A really great bit from the end of The Shawshank Redemption is that when the Warden discovers the hollowed out Bible the hollowed out part starts at Exodus.

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier
Just watched Insidious 2 and when Specs and Tucker are in the reading room playing a VHS the Panasonic video recorder has letters scratched away leaving PANIC. Not sure if that was deliberate but it seemed that way

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Terminal Entropy posted:

Saul has also been working on a class action suit over the crash, which going to motivate him to wear it longer.

Saul's also a consummate business man who would wear a remembrance ribbon until the next tragedy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Breaking Bad Final season spoiler:

On Facebook someone pointed out that when Walt is hiding the barrels full of money in the desert, you can see a pair of old pants in the dirt, which apparently he wore in the very first episode..

Not sure if it's true or not.

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 18:36 on Sep 18, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

On Facebook someone pointed out that when Walt is hiding the barrels full of money in the desert, you can see a pair of old pants in the dirt, which apparently he wore in the very first episode..

Not sure if it's true or not.

It is.

It's foreshadowed in the opening flashback of Ozymandias. You see them as he's rolling the last barrel to the old Indian's house.

Linked for spoiler? :shrug:
http://i.imgur.com/zyMVbzA.jpg?1

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

syscall girl posted:

It is.

It's foreshadowed in the opening flashback of Ozymandias. You see them as he's rolling the last barrel to the old Indian's house.

Linked for spoiler? :shrug:
http://i.imgur.com/zyMVbzA.jpg?1

And that barrel-rolling scene can be read as either a reference to Sisyphus or a dung beetle - who roll balls of dung to their habitat to provide for their family

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The three posts above are all about the latest episode of Breaking Bad, by the way. The post above them was too but I still don't know that it's super obvious

Escobarbarian has a new favorite as of 14:44 on Sep 18, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

glitchkrieg posted:

And that barrel-rolling scene can be read as either a reference to Sisyphus or a dung beetle - who roll balls of dung to their habitat to provide for their family

Also in reference to when Hank made fun of Walt and Jesse's methylamine stealing technique

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

muscles like this? posted:

A really great bit from the end of The Shawshank Redemption is that when the Warden discovers the hollowed out Bible the hollowed out part starts at Exodus.

Another great one is when Red says Andy's dream of escaping is "A lovely pipe dream"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Back to the Future part 2 was on over the weekend and I noticed something for the first time.

After Marty and Doc return to (bad) 1985, Doc changes his clothes. His new Hawaiian shirt has trains on it. Might be nothing, but given this series, I don't think there are a lot of coincidences.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Bown posted:

The three posts above are all about the latest episode of Breaking Bad, by the way. The post above them was too but I still don't know that it's super obvious

That was my mistake; I'll change it to be clearer.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

CzarChasm posted:

Back to the Future part 2 was on over the weekend and I noticed something for the first time.

I think it might have been this thread that pointed it out, but it blew my mind that I've seen BTTF a zillion times and never noticed that the Doc's name is "Time" backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

WOAH drat. That has to be intentional