Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Benny, Happy birthday man. I am rooting for you. This thread is a hard thing, but you keep coming back to it and that is something to be proud of. You can do hard things, Benny. :toot:

Have a good birthday, buddy. :yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

InEscape posted:

Benny, Happy birthday man. I am rooting for you. This thread is a hard thing, but you keep coming back to it and that is something to be proud of. You can do hard things, Benny. :toot:

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

gently caress da Mods posted:

From the chat w me thread:

Have fun, go hog wild, and happy birthday Benny

FFS Benny, your young and physically healthy stop moping and be happy with what you're got. You're not working so it's a great chance to get super fit.

SchrodingersFish
Mar 9, 2012

InEscape posted:

Totally this! Honestly, I've been really impressed with the fact that you keep coming back and asking people for advice. My Dad always says, 99% of success is just showing up (I think that was in Annie Hall too...) and it's true! You just need to work extra hard on the other 1%. I haven't yet seen you sink into despair or blow up at the thread and that's really admirable. You keep on applying to jobs and showing up for interviews. Keep at it Benny! Eventually something will work out. It's also admirable that you sought help from a therapist and are keeping up with your medication. That's a huge first step that many are unable to make.

Happy Birthday!!!! :toot: :toot: :toot:

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Happy birthday, Benny. Take solace in the fact that you're not the most useless poster on the first page of E/N. Heck, you might not even be in the top three! :unsmith:

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

SchrodingersFish posted:

Totally this! Honestly, I've been really impressed with the fact that you keep coming back and asking people for advice. My Dad always says, 99% of success is just showing up (I think that was in Annie Hall too...) and it's true! You just need to work extra hard on the other 1%. I haven't yet seen you sink into despair or blow up at the thread and that's really admirable. You keep on applying to jobs and showing up for interviews. Keep at it Benny! Eventually something will work out. It's also admirable that you sought help from a therapist and are keeping up with your medication. That's a huge first step that many are unable to make.

Happy Birthday!!!! :toot: :toot: :toot:

Yeah totally OP, you've been doing good, you almost got the job, but then didn't, so I'm sending some positive vibes to you right now.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Happy Birthday Benny!

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Happy B-day you crazy diamond you. If i ever walk into my local bar and see a cook telling the owner how to make zuchini, then ding his wife in the head with a pan, then run a shopping trolley into a row of motorcyclels of wich mine is the last and THEN into my car (dont know why i drove both), i'll be sure to buy you a beer. I feel like drunk benny must be preatty hillarious. I suppose we all should throw benny an internet birthday party.

EDIT: Since your post in the chat w/me thread looked actually sad, that above post was sarcastic of course. I hope you actually do have a nice birthday. Everybody deserves that.

GodsGiftToWomen
Jan 26, 2004
Providing women with sexual pleasure since 1983
Gun Saliva
Happy birthday Benny!

I'm rooting for you and I check your thread everyday for updates.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay I guess I can give a brief update. My depression has gotten to the point where I don't want to do anything period. I'm anxious all day and I've been wound since Friday. I've been waiting for a call from a retail place I applied to and I haven't gotten word yet. Yesterday I scanned two letters of recommendation and attached them to a pair of applications I made to the school district. I have a friend who became a sub so I figure the school district might be easier to get into. My birthday yesterday was uneventful: the only person who remembered outside of my immediate family was my Grandma who's in Mexico right now, and that's only because our birthdays are close to each other. I'm still taking my meds regularly but I don't know if my meds are inducing some kind of depressive fit or if it's all this anxiety.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Benny, do not teach children.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

TheScott2K posted:

Benny, do not teach children.
The school district jobs I applied to are not teaching ones. I have no interest in teaching kids mind you.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Benny the Snake posted:

My birthday yesterday was uneventful: the only person who remembered outside of my immediate family was my Grandma who's in Mexico right now, and that's only because our birthdays are close to each other.

I barely remember my own birthday half the time, nevermind everybody else's. Were you upset that nobody baked you a cake or something?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Call your psychiatrist if you're having weird responses to your meds. This is important.

Happy birthday, fellow birthday-haver!

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3XW5e1bTF0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay I guess I can give a brief update. My depression has gotten to the point where I don't want to do anything period.
So before the pills, when this thread started you were getting nothing done and sucking up space at your folks house due to...? Now you've seen a doc, got some scripts and now you're getting a bunch of nothing done because the pills that were supposed to motivate you are causing a bad case of of the lazy sad's?

It's ok Benny I'm sure your folks are cool with supporting you until you die of a heart attack at 32.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

It can take a month or two for your meds to make you truly feel better. In the meantime, they can in fact make you feel 'worse' while you are stabilizing. Part of that may be an awareness of just how bad off you had been? Some bits of your brain might come back online before others, if that makes any sense. Patience!

Try to find something easy that you can enjoy in the meantime... it is totally okay to read comics more and job hunt less if it's causing you a lot of stress. Excessive stress will make it take longer for you to feel better.

Winston N. Rumfoord
Aug 18, 2010

cailleask posted:

Try to find something easy that you can enjoy in the meantime... it is totally okay to read comics more and job hunt less if it's causing you a lot of stress. Excessive stress will make it take longer for you to feel better.

So much this. Stop freaking out about getting a job right away, you really need to relax for your mental health. It's okay to not always be trying 100%, it's okay to be hosed up and depressed. Part of having mental health problems is that you're not always going to be able to function like a normal person, and you need to let yourself take the time you need and not beat yourself up about it so much.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Care to share any points of discussion you had with your therapist? Not anything personal, just stuff you might be interested to share or gain some more insight on. Do you take notes on things you feel might be important to bring up, during therapy?

Job Wise: Have you ever considered technical writing? Are you good with technology? Could you write a detailed explanation on how to successfully post on these forums? A lot of companies need training material, which requires more description and visual cues, as opposed to actual grammar.

You outta look into InDesign. Something valuable you could learn and keep yourself occupied with, so depression doesn't hit as often. Empty hands being the devil's playground and all.

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Benny, just run every major decision by the thread before making it. You have bad judgement and seem to just react instead of thinking things through. That's okay though, the good people in this thread can teach you!

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Winston N. Rumfoord posted:

So much this. Stop freaking out about getting a job right away, you really need to relax for your mental health. It's okay to not always be trying 100%, it's okay to be hosed up and depressed. Part of having mental health problems is that you're not always going to be able to function like a normal person, and you need to let yourself take the time you need and not beat yourself up about it so much.

Mental health should be #1 for Benny. Back in the Spring, when I was having huge advisor issues in grad school, which made my anxiety and depression terrible again, all of the advice I got (family, friends, old advisor, even goons) was to concentrate on my mental health first. I did, got that together, then started looking for a new advisor once I felt like I was more stable.

Keep on the meds and therapy, and don't give up on the meds. As many others have said, it can take months for the meds to kick in, then even more time to perhaps find the right medication and dosage.

Just remember it takes time. 6 years ago I was a drunk with terrible anxiety so bad I couldn't even drive a car or sometimes even leave my house. It took a lot of work and time, but now I'm in grad school pursuing a PhD and kicking rear end. It won't happen overnight, but don't worry Benny, one day you'll look back and laugh about how worried you were.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

While you are working out your medication and therapy issues, this may not be the best time to try to start a new job. That poo poo is stressful, and stress just makes everything worse. But you don't want to do nothing for months, that makes it easy to slip into a do-nothing funk. You need a little project. Something just for yourself. Something physical, to help you get out of your head.

Hey Benny, does your family live in a house with a yard or a balcony or something? You should take up gardening. Even just a few plants in pots. Southern California has the kind of weather you can do stuff over the winter, right? You should do that. Even if you hate vegetables.

Gardening involves planning, but plans that aren't too complicated, and plans that you get to see the pay off in just a few months. There are problems and challenges, but it is all fairly easy stuff to figure out from books, the internet, or even talking to enthusiastic ladies in the garden center. It doesn't have to be expensive, complicated, or take a lot of space. It doesn't have to be perfect. You get out in the sunshine. You get out of your head and work with your hands for a while. Puttering, not backbreaking labour. It is fantastic for your mental health.

I'm a middle aged fat lady with a bad back living in a townhouse with a postage stamp sized yard. I have a messy little garden that produces some (actually tasty) vegetables and flowers to keep me out of trouble.

2' by 8' Square Foot Garden. Tomatoes, peas, monster broccoli, some flowers. The hanging pot is catnip, when I tried to grow it in the ground the neighbourhood cats dug it up, which was a problem, so this year I tried a hanging pot and it worked great.

2' by 6' bed with beans, tomatoes, carrots, beets and salad greens. You can see some pots in the messy corner with herbs and strawberries.

I built the raised beds myself. Made my own ghetto trellis from steel pipe and nylon garden netting -- it looks dumb but it is study as hell. The pots are all cheap poo poo from Walmart. This style of gardening doesn't involve a lot of digging or hoeing or whatever, and even the weeding is pretty easy. It gets me a couple hours a week to myself outside relaxing, all the while being able to tell everyone that I'm "working in the garden" so I don't look like a lazy rear end. You should give it a try.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Angela Christine posted:

Good poo poo that Benny should follow

This was a good idea. I find being outside in the 'garden' I have refreshing as well. I grew watermelon, but only got 2 big ones. I need to read up on how to grow tons. See Benny this is planning, executing, and learning, with a sun tan to boot.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
That sounds like a great way to 'tard up the back yard and end up not growing or harvesting anything. As a complimentary idea, Benny, you might want to hit up your mom or other relatives for the money to buy the shovels and pots and whatnot - that way you can leave a huge mess while screwing your family at the same time!

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

gently caress the ROW posted:

That sounds like a great way to 'tard up the back yard and end up not growing or harvesting anything. As a complimentary idea, Benny, you might want to hit up your mom or other relatives for the money to buy the shovels and pots and whatnot - that way you can leave a huge mess while screwing your family at the same time!

Benny could rise to fame with his HGTV show "Tard the Yard"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How about just going for long walks while the weather is still nice? Better yet, take up jogging. Or maybe weight lighting. Not saying it'll cure your depression or anything, but exercise seems to help and will give you a way to set and reach attainable goals.

Winston N. Rumfoord
Aug 18, 2010
^^ Seconding this. Benny should be lifting weights or something. Exercising is going to make you feel better Benny. Jogging is a great idea because it's free.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Winston N. Rumfoord posted:

^^ Seconding this. Benny should be lifting weights or something. Exercising is going to make you feel better Benny. Jogging is a great idea because it's free.

Accorrding to gently caress the Mods/Row, he'll just run into traffic.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Darth123123 posted:

Accorrding to gently caress the Mods/Row, he'll just run into traffic.

Actually exercise is the only known cure for depression. It's a good idea and the OP could do that instead of posting threads. Thanks for reading.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

Actually exercise is the only known cure for depression. It's a good idea and the OP could do that instead of posting threads. Thanks for reading.

Comic book characters are loving ripped, and the only one not moping around all the time is The Joker.

Myth Busted

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Lifting weights is always a good idea.

Here's what casual and lazy strength training did for me at 2,500-3,500 calories/day:

Note: I started at like 390 lbs and probably like 5,000-7,000 cal/day.

I don't know how much exercise it takes other people but I've personally found that four good workouts* a week for two weeks does the trick. It's like clockwork.

*So like an 45-60 minutes of sustained activity

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Wait what? Also I'm 73 pages in so I ain't given up.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Actually exercise is the only known cure for depression.

I'm gonna need a citation for that.
I mean, I totally agree that Benny should do that, and that it certainly helps with depression, but I run every single day and I wouldn't say that I feel like my depression is "cured."

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Accretionist posted:

Lifting weights is always a good idea.

Here's what casual and lazy strength training did for me at 2,500-3,500 calories/day:

Note: I started at like 390 lbs and probably like 5,000-7,000 cal/day.

I don't know how much exercise it takes other people but I've personally found that four good workouts* a week for two weeks does the trick. It's like clockwork.

*So like an 45-60 minutes of sustained activity

I don't want to nitpick you, but lifting weights can actually be really damaging to people depending on their body type, medical history, etc. For people that have been overweight for a long time, it's usually better to ease into some cardio and drop some of the weight before you go whole hog into weight lifting. With the added stress on your body from already being fat, it's much easier to do something like pull a muscle or hurt your back if you aren't careful. Benny's best bet to start off would probably be long walks or jogs and then move into weights after that.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
Can't the kid just get a Wii Fit?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

cactuscarpet posted:

Remember that picture of the wiimote impaleing a TV? Literally benny.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That was captain walker. Hope that guy's okay...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cactuscarpet posted:

Only if he uses it outside. Getting outside is good for you.

Edit: Besides, his mom probably wouldn't approve of the whore of babylon here:

Just look at how she's dressed!

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 13, 2013

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.

Jeffrey posted:

That was captain walker. Hope that guy's okay...

Oh wow I forgot all about him. Didnt he get banned or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

natetimm posted:

I don't want to nitpick you, but lifting weights can actually be really damaging to people depending on their body type, medical history, etc. For people that have been overweight for a long time, it's usually better to ease into some cardio and drop some of the weight before you go whole hog into weight lifting. With the added stress on your body from already being fat, it's much easier to do something like pull a muscle or hurt your back if you aren't careful. Benny's best bet to start off would probably be long walks or jogs and then move into weights after that.

Wrong

Cardio can be way harder on the joints and ligaments especially high impact stuff like running. There's nothing wrong with lifting weights while you're fat.

• Locked thread