Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Beach Party posted:

So what's an easy way to get a weapon if your just starting off while not on the test server? I started a rogue on Vox and just hit 25 moloing and still using the dagger they gave me in the tutorial. In the bazaar the cheapest daggers that are better than the one I have are 1k+ plat. I'm assuming the easiest thing to do is just not worry about it and have the merc do all the damage, but its annoying that the hardest I can hit for is 8.

Also, was it a good idea to start off as a rogue for my first character? I started a paladin but then thought that tanks would be pretty well established at the top end so maybe a pure dps would be a better route to go. The other class I was looking at was the bard. Are they a must have for a group or just boxed at the higher levels? I don't plan on boxing at all if that maters at all.

Type /ach for the achievement menu and look at the hero's journey tab. Completing categories of the quests there gives out weapons and equipment that are great for their level. Rogues start off without much to do in a fight but backstab, but once you reach the mid levels a bunch of disciplines open up, which are basically combat abilities. Bards are great for both groups and raids, and while they can just be boxed for their songs, an actively played one can do some amazing pulling and crowd control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
Firiona Vie is best BTDubs

As long as you don't care about crazy economy. There is no middle ground, everything is either super cheap or stupid expensive.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

d3k0y posted:

Firiona Vie is best BTDubs

As long as you don't care about crazy economy. There is no middle ground, everything is either super cheap or stupid expensive.

Have they said anything new in the past 6 months about allowing any sort of transfers off? Or is it still a roach motel?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

rigberry enema posted:

Have they said anything new in the past 6 months about allowing any sort of transfers off? Or is it still a roach motel?

It should forever be one-way. Nothing has officially changed with FV transfers. If you're being harassed or have some other really good reason, you might be able to get a naked transfer to another server after a lot of petitions.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I could just imagine all the apps in T4 ROF raid gear applying to all the high end guilds that have no clue what they are doing other than how to farm the most expensive items if transfers off of FV were allowed.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Node posted:

I could just imagine all the apps in T4 ROF raid gear applying to all the high end guilds that have no clue what they are doing other than how to farm the most expensive items if transfers off of FV were allowed.

I haven't played there recently but this really wasn't the case when I did. Most of the raid gear for sale wasn't current and the few bits that were would run you like 30 million or something crazy for a set of visibles. Good guilds get lovely apps anyway, this is not unique and they get kicked pretty fast after the derp comes out. I'd be happy with naked transfers or whatever, I just have a bunch of toons on there I transferred there in a bad decision and would like to play them again at some point.

VVVVVVVV
The community is bad, the one "raid" guild is bad. Test is a ghost town if you don't want to 3-6 box it as a single player game.

Chum Scandal fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 11, 2013

si
Apr 26, 2004
Why not play them there, or testcopy and play them on test?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
They won't even give naked xfers off of FV due to the thought process of "You could've used gear unobtainable on other servers to level faster than people on that server". You're forever stuck either there or copying to Test and playing there.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Why the gently caress would you want to transfer OFF FV? FV is in a great position. All the other servers gear just ends up on FV one day anyhow as people sell accounts.

All that hard work, sweat and tears at bargain prices mmmm.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
How realistic is it for a level 80-85 character to get groups on a day-to-day basis on a live server?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I think I read they did naked transfers off test a couple years ago. Doesn't seem too far-fetched to do it to FV too. On the other hand, test is free so maybe they wanted that sweet sweet subscription money. :iiam:

Andy Dufresne posted:

How realistic is it for a level 80-85 character to get groups on a day-to-day basis on a live server?
On live I was able to group somewhere pretty much every night. Just try to start something if not.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

darkhand posted:

I think I read they did naked transfers off test a couple years ago. Doesn't seem too far-fetched to do it to FV too. On the other hand, test is free so maybe they wanted that sweet sweet subscription money. :iiam:

It was when they completely shook up how Test worked and was still in the subscription era. /testcopy didn't let you send money and everything was tagged no-trade etc so almost no-one used it. Test ended up being mostly (not all, but mostly) a small inbred community that at times was very hostile to newcomers.

When SOE said they wanted to change it to how it works now as you can imagine the then test crowd stamped their feet and waa-waaaah'd about how they had earned their poo poo the hard way etc so that was SOE's response. A one-off transfer to any live server other than Prog (if it was around then) FV or the Zeks.

It's night and day between how it used to be and how it is now.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
I've got the EQ itch again, and what with it being free and all there's no reason not to scratch it, so to speak. Is there still a goon presence on test at all? Also, I'm not sure if I want to level a new bard or new rogue. I've never had either, and I'm sort of set on one of those. I was sort of leaning towards warrior, but I figure the gear requirements on that would just be way too ridiculous since I'm essentially starting from scratch on the test server. Any advice, one way or the other?

si
Apr 26, 2004
Yes, you can read back over the last couple pages for test info.

If you're not planning to box, test can be a bit tough. As far as gear, you can join the serverwide and bug people and we can probably set you up regardless of class. Until like level 70 it doesn't matter much anyhow.

Warrior will be pretty painfully slow alone - consider an SK, and consider boxing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

si posted:

Yes, you can read back over the last couple pages for test info.

If you're not planning to box, test can be a bit tough. As far as gear, you can join the serverwide and bug people and we can probably set you up regardless of class. Until like level 70 it doesn't matter much anyhow.

Warrior will be pretty painfully slow alone - consider an SK, and consider boxing.

Bear in mind that as a SK you need a million billion AA to be really functional.

My SK has 3500AA at 96 and I feel woefully under-AA'd.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Shrapnac posted:

Bear in mind that as a SK you need a million billion AA to be really functional.

My SK has 3000AA at 88 and I have practically 'maxed' out anything AA wise.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

si posted:

My SK has 3000AA at 88 and I have practically 'maxed' out anything AA wise.

Well yeah, you're three expansions behind on AA.

The scaling goes bananas, 13, 14, 15 AA per tier on a lot of the stuff. Granted getting AA is dead easy but it's still a bunch.

si
Apr 26, 2004
Sure, but my point is, why warn someone off the first 95% of the game because of the last 5%?

It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be, until maybe the very end. If you get that far, it's probably not a big deal anyhow.

I dunno, maybe dude wants to raid, then it's a whole different discussion.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Indeed! For quite a few expansions 12 seemed to be as high as they would go for the most part but I've had a few 21aa tiers in the Necromancer list already.

Then again a Test lesson at any kind of me trying at least a little pace nets 80-100aa at max level. If I stopped being a lazy bastard and kited I could no doubt get another 15-20 more but I can live with the root/rot inefficiency and not feel like the guy keeping spinning plates on their poles.

The connection issues seem to have cleared up and thank god they have finally fixed the login lag bug, turned out that stupid screen that opens up on login to tell you the latest stationcash nonsense was causing it even if you had closed the window. It had got to the point where I logged in and buggered off to make a drink and left it for 2-3 mins after appearing ingame before trying anything.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Shrapnac posted:

Also bear in mind that if you're not planning on boxing, a warrior, bard, or rogue is going to be so ungodly hard to molo with any sort of efficiency that you probably won't make it past level 70.

SKs require lots of AA, but we ARE at least capable of racking up AA very quickly and molo quite well. You couldn't pay me to solo box a warrior, bard, or rogue.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

MrTheDevious posted:

You couldn't pay me to solo box a warrior, bard, or rogue.

Now now, every man has his price....

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I box all three of those :gonk:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Bards can swarm kite in certain areas, although it can be tricky. The exp is worth it though. Gather up a group of social mobs, charm one, and tell it to attack its former buddies. They will all beat the hell out of it. Before they kill it, break your charm and finish it off with dot and nuke songs. Repeat until you've killed everything. Easiest way to break charm is with invis; our group invis AA is perfect for it, although there are clickies and invis songs if you aren't high enough for the AA. Fade will not break charm, even though it makes you invis, but it is still very useful for managing agro. Start off with just a few mobs until you get the hang of it. I don't know if there are good spots for every level range, but camps in the new East Wastes are great at level 100. Some of the charms have a very small range, so you may need to mez your target first, or gather the swarm after you charm something.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

darkhand posted:

I box all three of those :gonk:

Boxing them is great! It's just trying to solo one of them that's miserable. Pretty solid 3box though :)

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
So, Monks, is there a certain level/AA threshold where they become where they become a lot more fun?

My 96 zerker on test has spoiled me on mass slaughter capability.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Anyone got a couple spare sets of Glowing Athlai or Othni on test? Main character I'm playing there at the moment is Babyshark.

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Well, I thought I wanted a melee, but I seriously don't want to 2box, so I made a mage. So far it's seeming like a pretty sound decision. Summon up a buddy, summon up a couple daggers, go to loving town on some motherfuckers. How long do you use malachite as a summoning reagent? Should I stock up on it, or just buy it essentially as needed?

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 14, 2013

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rocketpriest posted:

Well, I thought I wanted a melee, but I seriously don't want to 2box, so I made a mage. So far it's seeming like a pretty sound decision. Summon up a buddy, summon up a could daggers, go to loving town on some motherfuckers. How long do you use malachite as a summoning reagent? Should I stock up on it, or just buy it essentially as needed?

Mages can be really fun. You can certainly make do for dozens of levels with a single stack of reagents. I don't know when or if you get rid of the need for them, but unless you like taking lots of risks your pets should be sturdy enough that you really only summon the one you're going to use until you get your next pet spell.

(Shadowknights are fun, too, and Test makes it really easy to have fun with multiple characters since the xp bonus reduces how grindy everything can be.)

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Just discovered I have a TEST All/All tradeable haste cloak on my transfer from live mule, so if anyone wants 36% haste item, just let me know and i can send on along every 8 hours or so.

si
Apr 26, 2004

WetSpink posted:

Anyone got a couple spare sets of Glowing Athlai or Othni on test? Main character I'm playing there at the moment is Babyshark.

I sent you an Othni set + some stuff, they're lore, so I can send you another once you've gotten that.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

si posted:

I sent you an Othni set + some stuff, they're lore, so I can send you another once you've gotten that.

Thanks a lot for that, I've picked it up now.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wayback posted:

Just discovered I have a TEST All/All tradeable haste cloak on my transfer from live mule, so if anyone wants 36% haste item, just let me know and i can send on along every 8 hours or so.

I'd love this, if you don't mind. IGN is Enzee.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Test has been going pretty good for myself and my friends. Managed to get my friend who hasn't made an alt/box yet to make a Warrior on another account and he was so invigorated at test and the ability to duplicate items with testcopy that he bought the $45 Shared XP potion for us to use.

The main three of us that play rolled another trio, the holy trinity - warrior, cleric and enchanter, we're up to 74 now and caught up to the slower part of our Live group so we can group with them again and with the xp potion too. Part of the drive behind making this new group was realizing that we couldn't take mercs into the raid zones needed for some 2.0s so we'd need a real healer and a real tank. Well a few real healers and real tanks. We already had a cleric, druid, shaman, pally and SK.

Managed to get lucky the other day and found a guy, Bureau, selling a bunch of nice level 80 stuff for 2k so that's something fun to look forward to.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo, dozens, as of right now, have gotten banned for what was called "Movement Cheating" in the email. This all happened at once, and is happening to completely random accounts, one of whom is a very close friend of mine that I know doesn't cheat - and her other accounts didn't. SOE is going to have to deal with absolute hell when they open in the morning. It looks like some anti-cheat measure went loving berserk and red flagged potentially hundreds of accounts, some people who haven't even played in months.

Check your accounts, people.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
They probably got hold of the MMOBugs or RedGuides email database (again) and just banned every matching email. Because people are stupid and use the same email/usernames that they do for SOE. It's happened once or twice before.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Flarestar posted:

They probably got hold of the MMOBugs or RedGuides email database (again) and just banned every matching email. Because people are stupid and use the same email/usernames that they do for SOE. It's happened once or twice before.

They were not legitimate bans. They've reversed them all, and not acting very sorry about it. It's really disgraceful.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Flarestar posted:

I haven't been to RG in a long time but there are legit parts of that site aren't there, other than the mq compile and hack plugins? I remember it having having strategy guides and poo poo.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

rigberry enema posted:

I haven't been to RG in a long time but there are legit parts of that site aren't there, other than the mq compile and hack plugins? I remember it having having strategy guides and poo poo.

Level 1 Access is technically legit, although it's rarely used for anything except talking about whatever exploit people have found most recently. Ditto with MMOBugs. I'm sure there are people out there that use both sites for something other than access to MQ2, but I've never met one.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I played EQ long ago. I have no desire to play content past Velious, but I do want to use my old lvl 65 SK to explore some old favorite zones just for kicks.

His gear sucks (Mostly Velious gear, SK epic 1.0). He has 2kpp in the bank. He's on the Fennin Ro server.

I have absolutely zero desire to grind anything.

Is there an easy way I can get him to a point where I can waltz through Velious-and-older content without much trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you just want to chode around, transfer to test and play there. Double XP means you can get levels faster and I can't imagine anything in Velious being overly hard past 80. Good luck catching anything up Velious and below, there's a lot of people like you who kill them for fun on most servers.