Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Crowley posted:

X-Keys is the industry standard for broadcasting equipment.

The latest iteration of their drives are actually pretty good, but the springs on the keys tend to wear out after a few years.

The one I linked only uses the X-Keys control hardware. The pedals and stuff they make themselves.

I probably haven't used it as much as broadcast stuff uses, but it's about 5 years old now and still going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A call came in!
At midnight!
After I'd been asleep for an hour!
I haven't been on after-hours support for two years!

NEVER let your clients have your cellphone number - even if it is a business phone - and
ALWAYS remember to turn the ringer off at the end of the day.

(Client's a pretty chill guy, and it was a system down, so I did try to help out for a few minutes... But I copied my boss and the CIO on the resulting email exchange. I'm looking for time off tomorrow for this.)
If you're on Android, install Tasker and set up some tasks to automatically switch off your ringer between certain hours when your home wifi is in range, saves me a lot of headaches.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Call Blocking is built into Samsung phones, as well as Cyanogenmod for what it's worth. I know Tasker is infinitely customisable, but the built-in stuff is simple to use. I like them specifically because I can still allow certain callers to wake me.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Someone just opened the box for a new waste toner bottle, pulled the bag (that the old waste toner bottle goes into) out of it, dumped all of the waste toner out of the full bottle into the bag, and then put the old waste toner bottle back into the machine, leaving an open bag full of toner and a box with a never-used waste toner bottle in the copy room.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
"Sorry boss, gotta go home. Don't wanna risk getting lung cancer."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Walter_Sobchak posted:

"Sorry boss, gotta go home. Don't wanna risk getting lung cancer."

Seriously. That poo poo needs a hazmat team.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I got an email from my boss this morning. He's in a meeting with the grand poobahs and he wants to know if I know why a projector in the conference room isn't working. The answer is that it was replaced by TVs a long time ago. When it did eventually break -- I don't even remember how we found out it broke since we don't use it anymore -- we asked management if they wanted it replaced. They said no. This was over a year ago. My boss should know this already because I kept him appraised of the situation at the time. The people he's meeting with should know because they're the ones who made the decision. Did everyone wake up extra crazy this week?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

guppy posted:

I got an email from my boss this morning. He's in a meeting with the grand poobahs and he wants to know if I know why a projector in the conference room isn't working. The answer is that it was replaced by TVs a long time ago. When it did eventually break -- I don't even remember how we found out it broke since we don't use it anymore -- we asked management if they wanted it replaced. They said no. This was over a year ago. My boss should know this already because I kept him appraised of the situation at the time. The people he's meeting with should know because they're the ones who made the decision. Did everyone wake up extra crazy this week?

He probably does know it, just wanted written confirmation by you.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Raining, almost got T-boned on my way in to work and now I just got chewed out by my boss because my point of contact with a client has apparently not been talking to his own bosses at all about the application changes he's requested / things I've informed him of (ie. "This isn't working fully but we're working on it"). Gunna be a good day :haw:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I don't care about drinking at work, the few times I've tried to have a couple drinks at lunch all I wanted to do was sleep the rest of the day. I want to know about grills! Where do you work that trusts cube drones to walk through the building with raw meat?

Big multi-national corp here, facilities guy was putting together outdoor furniture the other day, I told him he shut put a grill out there too. He thought that kicked rear end but said there's no was it'd be allowed.

A friend used to be a dealer tech and seems like every time I'd go over there to bs or use a lift they'd be cooking steaks.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I work at a small start-up -- anything goes. Our office actually opens out onto the roof of the rest of the building. That's where the grill is. We did check with the landlord prior.

It used to also be the smoking room, but it appears that everyone has quit finally.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Most cities have laws in place to prevent grills and similar devices within a certain distance (10' is common) of occupied multi-residence and office buildings.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Vin BioEthanol posted:

I don't care about drinking at work, the few times I've tried to have a couple drinks at lunch all I wanted to do was sleep the rest of the day. I want to know about grills! Where do you work that trusts cube drones to walk through the building with raw meat?

Big multi-national corp here, facilities guy was putting together outdoor furniture the other day, I told him he shut put a grill out there too. He thought that kicked rear end but said there's no was it'd be allowed.

A friend used to be a dealer tech and seems like every time I'd go over there to bs or use a lift they'd be cooking steaks.

I'm not calling you out personally but poo poo like this post is what has been pissing me off lately. If you're phone postin' and using swiftkey or w/e check your god drat posts to make sure they actually parse correctly.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Rohaq posted:

This. This is like a goddamned unicorn. Hold onto this moment forever.

No kidding.

Like I said before, I'm not directly in the same department, but I interface heavily with them. Morale has been terrible for months, hemorrhaging talent like crazy.

Yesterday it was a party atmosphere. Today, it still is. This was a real chop-the-head-off-the-snake kind of move too. Of all the people who got the axe, the least important had a Director's title.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Can't say I am a fan of drinking with work related people, it usually ends badly...

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

quote:

Uppercase / lowercase excel solutions

I kinda figured there were automated ways to uppercase the first letter. Still, she can use her drat shift key. I just thought that was the most ridiculous request I've received yet. It's a list of like 30 people, so it's not like she has to copy/paste thousands of unformatted names and fix them.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
So the merger finished last weekend. 6 remote sites, 5 servers, 100GB of e-mail merged in, file services, etc... I'm finding it difficult to come down from the rage/stress... probably because:

- Acquired company employees were local shared-account admins on Intel i7 workstations and we're putting them on VDI so "WHY IS IT SO SLOOOOW". Oh, and they're required to remember passwords now.
- Now that the merger was "successful" (firefighting notwithstanding) all of a sudden all put-off large projects have a due-date of "Today" because "Well the merger is OVER so you're not doing anything".
- Co-worker managed to take down the entire VDI cluster while adding a host to it.
- Boss is lord of Scope Creep, so what was "You get a desktop and e-mail access only", turned into "And SQL access, and software access, and a pony..." and so forth.

I mentioned before that we were given 18 hours to cut everything over. That didn't happen. We were actually given 9 hours, because departments started shuffling in first thing on the day we were given to flip everything. We "cheated" and let ourselves into the remote locations at end-of-business. The lawyers were not happy.

I've been going flat-out since 9/2. Very little sleep. No breaks. No comp time. Two days off isn't going to help me get down from this stress-pile I'm sitting on.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

JohnnyCanuck posted:

NEVER let your clients have your cellphone number - even if it is a business phone - and
ALWAYS remember to turn the ringer off at the end of the day.

I've been giving out my Google Voice number and have Do Not Disturb set up to turn on after work hours and on weekends. I've had more than one person complain that they called me six times one weekend (about how to install a font) and wasn't able to get through.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fess up:

http://screenshotsofdespair.tumblr.com/post/60884087423/blissoncloudnine-printers

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's kind of pathetic that I can instantly recognize that it's an HP 2430.

Also: http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/jetdirecthack

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

I wish the print dialogue in Windows asked this. I have one user who prints out every single email she sends or receives and puts them all in a gigantic binder so she "has a paper trail and can find something if it gets deleted".

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Can't say I am a fan of drinking with work related people, it usually ends badly...

You mean like that one Xmas party that resulted one of the techs dancing to Dancing Queen all by himself then later on getting groped by his manager?

Edit: his manager was a guy, not that there is anything wrong with that except it wasn't consensual

tomapot fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 13, 2013

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

tomapot posted:

You mean like that one Xmas party that resulted one of the techs dancing to Dancing Queen all by himself then later on getting groped by his manager?

Apparently a couple years ago some marketing girls got absolutely trashed and ended up throwing up in public. I think this was a different year than one of them getting up on the table and dancing. While wearing a skirt, of course.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
This is probably a dumb question,

I got off the phone with the ISP support that i mentioned earlier in the thread.

The internet connection is shared between all government departments in the same building and somebody is being a bandwidth hog. The ISP cant narrow it down to an I. The site has a speed cap of 22 mbit and their policy is when a node goes over its downstream cap is to start dropping packets... is that normal procedure for an ISP?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Bunch of servers go down. Co-worker comes out of the DC:

"I was tracing some network cables and unplugged the iSCSI switch."

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I kinda figured there were automated ways to uppercase the first letter. Still, she can use her drat shift key. I just thought that was the most ridiculous request I've received yet. It's a list of like 30 people, so it's not like she has to copy/paste thousands of unformatted names and fix them.

Plus, even if it was a long list, paste the list with each name on its own line into Word, select all, Alt O, E. Choose sentence case. (You know, if you don't need a proper solution.)

I use word to transpose the case of stuff all the time, even if it still fails to make Title Case half the time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

tomapot posted:

Edit: his manager was a guy, not that there is anything wrong with that except it wasn't consensual

I never understand how this happens. Inability to behave professionally aside, by the time a person has finished college I really expect them to have learned to drink like an adult. How hard is it to grasp that getting blitzed at a work function is a bad idea? Hell, it's not a great idea at non-work functions either. If you want to drink your way to liver disease in private, that's your business -- and god knows I understand how this industry can drive you there sometimes -- but Christ, learn to operate in public like you're old enough to vote.

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006

blackswordca posted:

This is probably a dumb question,

I got off the phone with the ISP support that i mentioned earlier in the thread.

The internet connection is shared between all government departments in the same building and somebody is being a bandwidth hog. The ISP cant narrow it down to an I. The site has a speed cap of 22 mbit and their policy is when a node goes over its downstream cap is to start dropping packets... is that normal procedure for an ISP?

If the traffic is being policed, any excess is dropped. If the traffic is being shaped, it may be getting dropped depending on buffer space and queues.

With it being a single site, it's very likely there is some sort of NAT being employed for all the departments. This would make it impossible for the ISP to tell who is the hog and police/shape only their traffic.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The worst thing for me is when you're trying to help someone choose a password.
I just love this:
pre:
Username: JDoe45
Password: **********
Confirm : ********

The part that makes that even more annoying is that whenever I see someone doing this, they're staring at the keys when they type. Then, they look up at the screen to use the mouse to hit the "OK" button. How do they totally miss that there's missing characters? They're looking at the screen! Then, of course, they get all huffy and mutter something like "stupid computer" (Yeah, it's the computer...) and slowly hunt & peck their password again.

***edit***

Inspector_71 posted:

Are they terminal services users? There's something with Windows Server where it will pop up the sticky keys window every time you press shift while connected via RDP sometimes.
No, they're regular desktop users. Though they do often have to use the AS400 terminal emulators, so I think they often use Caps for that, which is probably why they do it. Still, I did data entry for a few years using the same Terminal Emulators they use and I never got into that habit.

Lum posted:

I have a foot pedal thingy that presents as a USB keyboard, with the 3 pedals mapped up to Shift, Ctrl and Alt. Saves wear and tear on my little fingers.
Yeah, I recently purchased one of those Kinesis Advantage keyboards and was wondering what that little pigtail was. Then I looked it up on their site. Interesting. I'm still getting used to the layout and often make mistakes as a result, but it definitely feels great to type on. Only problem now is that I hate going back to standard layout. When I inevitably make a mistake, I often hit the spacebar with my left thumb trying to backspace. Now I just gotta save up to get another one for home. My two biggest complaints are the function keys (they're mushy and don't always register a keypress even though it gives me the audible feedback that it worked) and the lack of the Context menu key, though I can get around that by using Shift+F10.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 13, 2013

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

I know I'm not a full on IT person, but I just :yotj:.

Going from a network affiliate to the county tv station that is planning on doing a major overhaul of their systems. According to the managers that interviewed me, it's going to be a multi-year upgrade process. Hopefully between this new position and getting more IT certs, I think my resume should look pretty good.

Not much of a raise, but it should mean no more weekend or shift work, holidays off, and better benefits.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A receptionist has to make a spreadsheet with a list of names on it. She wants the first letter capitalized, and the rest of the name lowercase.

She doesn't want to use the shift key.
Ok, how is your first and only response anything other than "tough"?

Like I've said 100 times in these threads, by trying to find some ridiculously complex and technical solution to a very simple human problem, you're only making things more difficult on yourself because you are validating her behaviour as acceptable. If they have a problem doing something as basic as pressing the Shift key, that is something that you need to bring up with their superior, and not something you should be spending ANY time on researching beyond that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

nexxai posted:

Like I've said 100 times in these threads, by trying to find some ridiculously complex and technical solution to a very simple human problem, you're only making things more difficult on yourself because you are validating her behaviour as acceptable. If they have a problem doing something as basic as pressing the Shift key, that is something that you need to bring up with their superior, and not something you should be spending ANY time on researching beyond that.

Agreed 100%. You're going to see poo poo like this a lot and you gotta call it out to their manager or you're going to be spending all day researching stupid crap that doesn't matter. What is costing the company more? Her pushing the god drat shift key or you spending two days figuring out a workaround?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Opening a new branch location in the coming months. Have 2 choices of ISPs; Frontier or Comcast. Frontier has a horrible reputation in this area for slow speeds and awful customer service. While Comcast on the otherhand is the complete opposite. So I already have my mind made up which service I will be getting.

New location had its ground breaking yesterday.. Boss comes in today and hands me a Frontier business card. I guess 2 local Frontier techs attended the groundbreaking, and because of them he wants me to give Frontier "serious consideration" when choosing a provider. I am to mention the tech's name when calling for a quote. I tried in vein to explain that whatever call center lackey I get when I do call them is not going to care nor even likely to know who this person is. He would have none of it. Kept saying "it only makes good business sense to give them a chance!" Ughh....:bang:

I have been on a mission to get rid of Frontier at all our branches and finally achieved just that last week. Now it looks like I am going to be forced to go back to them. :argh:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

guppy posted:

I never understand how this happens. Inability to behave professionally aside, by the time a person has finished college I really expect them to have learned to drink like an adult. How hard is it to grasp that getting blitzed at a work function is a bad idea? Hell, it's not a great idea at non-work functions either. If you want to drink your way to liver disease in private, that's your business -- and god knows I understand how this industry can drive you there sometimes -- but Christ, learn to operate in public like you're old enough to vote.

We had a party to celebrate a long conversion at a rented conference room at a hotel. One of the PM's gave a short speech thanking everyone and about a minute in I realized she was drat near falling on her rear end drunk. I guess some people figure in front of all the people you work with is a good time to cut loose.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

stevewm posted:

Opening a new branch location in the coming months. Have 2 choices of ISPs; Frontier or Comcast. Frontier has a horrible reputation in this area for slow speeds and awful customer service. While Comcast on the otherhand is the complete opposite. So I already have my mind made up which service I will be getting.

New location had its ground breaking yesterday.. Boss comes in today and hands me a Frontier business card. I guess 2 local Frontier techs attended the groundbreaking, and because of them he wants me to give Frontier "serious consideration" when choosing a provider. I am to mention the tech's name when calling for a quote. I tried in vein to explain that whatever call center lackey I get when I do call them is not going to care nor even likely to know who this person is. He would have none of it. Kept saying "it only makes good business sense to give them a chance!" Ughh....:bang:

I have been on a mission to get rid of Frontier at all our branches and finally achieved just that last week. Now it looks like I am going to be forced to go back to them. :argh:
Have you tried just lying about calling them if you know they're poo poo? Or lying about prices if they give you a lower price than comcast, whatever. Just believably lie and cut the whole pile of bullshit off at the knees.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Vin BioEthanol posted:

The last hospital I was at, about halfway through my time there, we were moved to a nice newer building where we got our own balcony. While we couldn't have a proper grill, we did bring in a George Foreman grill. We also had a full sized refrigerator, so we kept it stocked with beverages and food to cook on the Foreman grill. Then we could sit out on the balcony and have lunch. I miss those days. :(

Stevewm posted:

Frontier or Comcast.
"Ok, I've considered both and while Frontier does have competitive pricing*, when you consider the poor speeds and service it comes out cheaper in the end by spending a tiny bit more for the better service of Comcast. The faster speeds will mean less complaints from end users and the better support means less of a headache for us when poo poo goes south."

*= I don't actually know, as I've never had to deal with them.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 13, 2013

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Today I had my first run in with Crystal Reports.
I was trying to simply switch a manager from doing reporting against production to a test server whilst the quote to get him a dedicated reporting DB snails its way through the paper mill (20 hours spent, we're almost ready to maybe send him an tentative offer on monday. For one (1) VM with SQL server and logshipping).
His queries have ground production to a halt twice.

You would think it'd be as easy as setting up a new ODBC on his machine and telling crystal reports to run the same reports against the new data scource.

It isn't. :suicide:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

nexxai posted:

That was the response. Even now knowing simple ways to achieve that, I'm not one to promote that sort of behavior and I'm not going to forward them. When people stop me in the halls and ask a question that takes more than a modicum of effort, I refer them to the helpdesk; when someone hands me their personal laptop, I tell them my private rates, and when I get a request like that (or a lot far more reasonable) I have no problem saying 'no'.

I'm just sharing the worst ticket I've seen, and I've gotten requests to fix toilets. At least with toilet tickets, there's an actual problem, and it's easy enough to forward to the maintenance department.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

tomapot posted:

No like "no one wants to talk about computers or work" so it usually ends up with me talking aloud or drawing idea's down or browsing something computer or cartoon related stuff. I mean I'll make small talk and be sociable but you can only small talk before so long were it's like can we please get back to talking about technology?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

No like "no one wants to talk about computers or work" so it usually ends up with me talking aloud or drawing idea's down or browsing something computer or cartoon related stuff. I mean I'll make small talk and be sociable but you can only small talk before so long were it's like can we please get back to talking about technology?

Oh, god. This is me. I'm pretty much socially retarded. :(
I've slowly been working on changing that (for well over 10 years now).

Saab669 posted:

The guys in my office are always trying to get together after work, but yea, absolutely nothing to talk about with them. It's terrible, and then I get "flak" for not going. Cool dudes to work with, but I don't want to spend even more of my time with them. They're all sports and own houses and have kids. Young, single, heavy gamer. Zero common ground unless we're talking current events or politics.
Somewhat similar here, though we don't get together very often here like we did at the last place I was at. I also don't like talking about Sports, Politics or Religion since most people tend to have strong feelings about those things and can get pretty defensive when your opinion differs. It's not too bad when people can talk about it civilly, but I've seen too many heated arguments about that poo poo that I just stay away from those topics.

TWBalls fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 13, 2013

• Locked thread