Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
And what's amusing is that the federal government did that and nobody said "boo", but now that local governments want to do it and sell the properties back to the homeowner the banks are suing to stop it happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Miss-Bomarc posted:

And what's amusing is that the federal government did that and nobody said "boo", but now that local governments want to do it and sell the properties back to the homeowner the banks are suing to stop it happening.

If all this is true and the court isn't loving bought, I'm guessing the banks will lose; but all they need to do is stall in order to really win.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hope none of you guys are near this, but Mt. Diablo is currently living up to the name :stare:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sudo Echo posted:

Hope none of you guys are near this, but Mt. Diablo is currently living up to the name :stare:

Man, how hot is it in the Bay Area right now? I always remembered that the Tri-Valley area was hot as hell compared to Fremont and the Silicon Valley.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You think it is hot, than you go to LA for a weekend and when you get back you realize that the weather in the Bay Area is literally perfect.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Once you cross the Oakland hills into Contra Costa County, it's still "the Bay Area" but it is not "Bay Area weather"; has been 95-100 degrees in my town (Lafayette) since late last week and looks to continue well into this week. Not uncommon for this time of year either.

I'm also less than 10 miles from Mt Diablo's western flank, so uh...yea :ohdear:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Saratoga/Cupertino has the best weather. Even when it hits 90 it's back to 58 by 9pm and it rarely gets below 35 in the winter.

This is also why it costs $5,000 per square foot for a loving house. :suicide:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Saratoga/Cupertino has the best weather. Even when it hits 90 it's back to 58 by 9pm and it rarely gets below 35 in the winter.

This is also why it costs $5,000 per square foot for a loving house. :suicide:

It was 111 on Tuesday in the good ol' Inland Empire :v:

I'm so glad I bought that pool from Walmart.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Heh, that's the side me and my dumb friends descended from a couple years ago. You can access it by scooting down on the left side of Devil's Pulpit, but I wouldn't advise it. That being said, I can see why the firefighters are having such a hard time, because the terrain on that flank is very steep and really treacherous. Hopefully, the fire is from natural causes and not some inconsiderate dumbass.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

FCKGW posted:

It was 111 on Tuesday in the good ol' Inland Empire :v:

With loving humidity.

My apartment's AC blower motor died on Labor Day, and it didn't get fixed until 6PM on Wednesday. Worst 3 days ever.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

nm posted:

With loving humidity.

My apartment's AC blower motor died on Labor Day, and it didn't get fixed until 6PM on Wednesday. Worst 3 days ever.

That's when you go bowling all day every day. I did this for a whole summer in Chicago without AC.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

nm posted:

:(:hf::( brah, know exactly what you mean. I had to deal with that poo poo in an Ohio summer once and it was awful.

Sudo Echo posted:

This just in, a bill has been submitted in the State Assembly to change Mt. Diablo's name to Mount Doom.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gen. Ripper posted:

This just in, a bill has been submitted in the State Assembly to change Mt. Diablo's name to Mount Doom.
More like Mount Diablo III

(because it is a flaming disaster area, you see)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FMguru posted:

More like Mount Diablo III

(because it is a flaming disaster area, you see)

It actually did inspire the name for the first game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The top eight hundred feet or so of Mt. Diablo is visible from my living room window. It's been smokey in Concord but it seemed like the smoke died down a lot by yesterday evening. But sunday night I could see an eerie red glow flickering above the mountain and that was hosed up.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Leperflesh posted:

The top eight hundred feet or so of Mt. Diablo is visible from my living room window. It's been smokey in Concord but it seemed like the smoke died down a lot by yesterday evening. But sunday night I could see an eerie red glow flickering above the mountain and that was hosed up.

I saw a distinct plume yesterday morning from Lafayette BART; air was overall a bit hazy this morning, but no actual plume. I did hear they're having more luck at containing it today.

Too many trees in the way to actually see it from my house/street, so I couldn't check it for EVIL RED GLOW at night.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Antonio Villaraigosa has a new gig!

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-villaraigosa-herbalife-20130905,0,4121995.story

quote:

Los Angeles nutritional products company Herbalife Ltd., battling allegations that it operates an illegal pyramid scheme, has a new and unexpected advocate: former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.

The former mayor, who left in June after eight years in office, will serve as a senior advisor to Herbalife Chief Executive Michael O. Johnson and the company’s board of directors, the company said in a news release.

Villaraigosa will counsel Herbalife on “strategic business development and global community outreach,” the company said. Herbalife did not disclose how much Villaraigosa will be paid.

“Herbalife has been a solid member of the Los Angeles business community and a strong presence within the Latino community since the company was founded here in 1980,” Villaraigosa said.

Word of Villaraigosa’s new job comes as Herbalife faces criticism about its business model from Latino civil rights groups and calls for investigations from several elected officials.

Latinos make up at least 60% of Herbalife distributors in the U.S., company officials have said.

Goddamnit I hate this guy so much. You can't throw a brick without hitting a window with a Herbalife sign in East LA, and now Villaraigosa is selling out his hometown to provide cover for a predatory pyramid scheme that targets low-information Latinos in desperate financial conditions. Choke on a dick Antonio.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

JeffersonClay posted:

now Villaraigosa is selling out his hometown to provide cover for a predatory pyramid scheme that targets low-information Latinos in desperate financial conditions. Choke on a dick Antonio.

I heard he was a clerk at a bank. It's nice to know he's got no political capitol to burn. If he's a step removed from a Kardashian shill, I at least don't have to worry that his useless rear end will try and metastasize across the state/federal government.

Anyone ever check to see how his schools ended up doing? Anyone remember those?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

Anyone ever check to see how his schools ended up doing? Anyone remember those?

I worked in one. They continue to suck.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Being a morally corrupt sleazebag is practically a requirement for being an American big-city mayor though.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Back to California best state:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57602764/california-poised-to-raise-minimum-wage-to-$10-an-hour/

(Of course it's just a increase of $1 per year)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

Back to California best state:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57602764/california-poised-to-raise-minimum-wage-to-$10-an-hour/

(Of course it's just a increase of $1 per year)

$10/hour is actually right about the inflation adjusted peak of the 60s so that's pretty big.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

$10/hour is actually right about the inflation adjusted peak of the 60s so that's pretty big.

I love all temper tandrum quotes from the rump GOP holdouts:

quote:

"This is a classic example with how out of touch state leaders are," said Sen. Jim Nielsen, R-Gerber.

Sen. Ted Gaines, R-Rocklin, said liberals want to raise the cost of tobacco to discourage its use without realizing the same principle applies to labor: "If you make something more expensive, people will buy less of it."

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
The reason it's sending the right, and honestly the FYGM middle into a fury is that it almost looks like a dignified hourly wage (even if it probably isn't). And in the conservaverse, dignity is the scarcest of all societal resources and giving a bit of dignity to a fry cook is akin to stealing 1,000 times that amount from a hedge funder. An illegal transfer of smug from the smuggest to the smug-bare.

It's never really about the money with these people. Little kings of ashpiles, and so on.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 13, 2013

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

I wanted to be a little more precise about this in case I got into a conversation about with any right wingers (mostly family members that don't even live in CA). According to wiki: "The minimum wage had its highest purchasing value ever in 1968, when it was $1.60 per hour ($10.64 in 2012 dollars)."

So nope even with a $10 minimum wage baby boomer tea partiers were still making more at their after school jobs back in 1968.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

etalian posted:

I love all temper tandrum quotes from the rump GOP holdouts:

Ted posted:

"This is a classic example with how out of touch state leaders are," said Sen. Jim Nielsen, R-Gerber.

Sen. Ted Gaines, R-Rocklin, said liberals want to raise the cost of tobacco to discourage its use without realizing the same principle applies to labor: "If you make something more expensive, people will buy less of it."

I live in this assclown's (and McClintock's district), the people out here are intellectually in around 1958 and if you don't drive a pickup truck you are probably a Bay Area "fag". There are also more mega-christian churches than schools and it's full of Bay Area retirees that made shitloads of money on their houses and now refuse to pay any taxes out here so there are like 4 cops left and the library is open 1 day a week (not that their windowlicker kids know how to read anyway.) These are also the idiots that scream about "big gubmint" and the $150 fire fee, then refuse to fund their own local fire departments. Good thing it's cheap and only 90 miles to SF (and quicker then SJ a lot of days!) :suicide:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My mother in law just saw this on the news and she exclaimed "Lots of companies going to move out of California now!"

I didn't want to try and explain that the types of businesses that pay minimum wage don't just "move out" of an area like that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably most restaurants and retail in California are going to move just across the border into Nevada.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

withak posted:

Probably most restaurants and retail in California are going to move just across the border into Nevada.

AKA the Cayman Islands of the tech industry thanks to Nevada having no corporate tax.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

FCKGW posted:

My mother in law just saw this on the news and she exclaimed "Lots of companies going to move out of California now!"

I didn't want to try and explain that the types of businesses that pay minimum wage don't just "move out" of an area like that.

Not to mention that CA attracts a ton of businesses because it has two of the three largest ports on the west coast with LA and SF. Then there is the oil industry which can't move, and I have first hand knowledge that the tech industry regrets the gently caress out of trying to move to red states with cheep taxes since it means they have really lovely funding for schools and they have to pay people to move there and pay them a higher salary to stay because they can't hire locals... which they don't make up with those tax breaks.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I wonder if this would effect Help Desk positions and the like in the area though, if those haven't already been outsourced to India (there were threads in SH/SC about how people were making $10/hour in IT positions although probably not in California specifically).

Edit: Basically, I'm wondering how many positions are going to be "pushed up" (between the current minimum wage and $10/hour).

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Winner is Jew posted:

Not to mention that CA attracts a ton of businesses because it has two of the three largest ports on the west coast with LA and SF. Then there is the oil industry which can't move, and I have first hand knowledge that the tech industry regrets the gently caress out of trying to move to red states with cheep taxes since it means they have really lovely funding for schools and they have to pay people to move there and pay them a higher salary to stay because they can't hire locals... which they don't make up with those tax breaks.

The obvious idea is to just steal the Dubai slave system.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Also, good. Who cares, gently caress them. CA would be better off without them. Fast food now exists at a state of maximum competition, and we're still somehow at a place where putting the french fries on the hamburger counts as an innovation worthy of a national ad blitz. The whole sector is poo poo and the only thing they contribute is crap jobs and intestinal cancer. They most resemble the cigarette companies in every other regard. Everyone knows that if half of these companies were to just vanish, it would be an improvement because they might compete on service and their employees wouldn't be wards of the state.

loving poo poo. Try garnering some affection first if you want your fake threats to be heeded by anyone outside the business press. Some day soon, GOP strategists are going to advise that corporate leadership simply stop making candid public statements, lest the plebs discover how loving dumb their ruling class has become.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Welcome to the new economy, where fast food service is expected to be a viable career path.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In other California news, there's this: Covered California is the new Obamacare health care plan marketplace for California citizens. I spent a little time looking through it today. Seems that if you qualify, you can get pretty decent individual health insurance from several different providers for very good prices. And if you're poor (like my unemployed brother), it's heavily subsidized. I think given his income (less than 150% of the poverty level) he can probably get a decent "silver" plan for under $60 a month after subsidy, which is fantastic.

It is blindingly obvious, looking over the example rates, that this is lowering the cost of health insurance for most people.

You can start looking at plans now, they go on sale October, and everyone has to have health insurance starting January 1st.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Welcome to the new economy, where fast food service is expected to be a viable career path.

Heaven forbid people have a little bit more money, my god, they might spend in on things which would improve demand and help the economy!

I'm so glad this is passing. If we could just repeal Prop 13 and fix our prisons, this would indeed be The Best State. Also high speed rail.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FCKGW posted:

How can someone say this when they live in a state where In-N-Out began doing business. Speaking of, doesn't their base pay start at $10/hr? Will they keep it at that level once it officially becomes minimum wage?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Heaven forbid people have a little bit more money, my god, they might spend in on things which would improve demand and help the economy!

I'm so glad this is passing. If we could just repeal Prop 13 and fix our prisons, this would indeed be The Best State. Also high speed rail.

No, you see, if we give people money this will just make them dependent on the gubmint and not teach them to stop being lazy, which is the root problem behind poverty in most cases. It's how the statists thrive.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Miss-Bomarc posted:

If it requires a full day of work you should be able to live off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nachos posted:

How can someone say this when they live in a state where In-N-Out began doing business. Speaking of, doesn't their base pay start at $10/hr? Will they keep it at that level once it officially becomes minimum wage?

My wife worked at In-N-Out for several years. When she was there I think they started at $11 but then they did other sane things like, you know, raise the pay periodically with inflation. The bumped up everyone's pay, including starting, every couple years.

Also the manager of an In-N-Out store makes 6 figures

• Locked thread