Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Even the DVDs are 70 bucks. Man, I love Fate/Zero, but it is gonna be a cold day in hell when I spend 70 bucks for half of an anime, even if I were fabulously wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Does anyone know if UFO table gets a cut of Blu-ray/DVD sales?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

serebralassazin posted:

Yes, but its not much. The American licensor generally gets a huge bulk back because they have to soak up a bunch of costs. So the amount of money that the studio themselves gets back is VERY slim if even at all sometimes.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

serebralassazin posted:

On Japanese sales (which are the more important ones), they'll get a certain percentage as they're part of the production committee for all their shows, but most of the proceeds from sales go to the video distributor (who tends to invest a lot into the production of the show). For international sales, that money tends to go to the international rights holder (which has been Aniplex for most of their big titles) and then the production committee gets a portion of that (which isn't much given how cheap licenses are now). Basically yes, but it's not as big as you think it would be (especially your sales from international markets).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
'Wolf Children' is apparently coming out in the US on November 11.

Buy this movie.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 11, 2013

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
This was posted in the summer thread but figured I would post it here as well. Yesterday at Otakon Funimation and Sentai picked up a bunch of older Bandai licenses. Most notably, Funimation picked up Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne. They are planning to release Bebop next year on Blu-ray.

Funimation grabbed:

Cowboy Bebop
Escaflowne
Outlaw Star
Witch Hunter Robin
My Hime
My Otome 0 ~S.ifr~
My Otome Zwei
Code Geass Akito the Exiled
Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion + Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Angel Links
Crest of the Stars
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Passage of the Stars - Birth

Sentai Grabbed:

Sacred Seven
The Big O
The Big O Season 2
Argento Soma
S-cry-ed
z-mind
zegapain
The Girl Who Leapt Through Space
Infinite Ryvius
Kurokami
Brain Powered
Overman King Gainer

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 11, 2013

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
That's awesome since a lot of that stuff was getting extremely pricey. The Anime Legends version of S-Cry-Ed was pushing $90 used, which admittedly I only noticed because some guy sold his big box of old-rear end anime at the store I work at yesterday. King Gainer was also up around $110~.

I'm super psyched about a Bebop Blu-ray. I've seen the show on TV a million times but missed out on buying the non-Anime Legends box for a reasonable price ($100+ for one with a non-ruined outer box, yeesh). Any word on whether they'd do the whole two-part complete series thing? I have to assume they will.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
cowboy bebop on bluray looks ahmahzing, the 3d stuff is kinda rough though, but everything else is just stellar to look at

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Even if they don't transfer big O to blu, having a dvd rerelease will be much more affordable than current options.

Knitting
Aug 22, 2004
I don't want to grow up, I'm an anime kid

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

Yes there is; Aniplex is making money on it. There has been a couple of interviews with Aniplex and unless they're talking complete poo poo, while they are not moving Funimation level of units, they are getting money from the exact crowd of people they are targeting and are actually making a profit on it. So until nerds stop spending all their money, Aniplex is going to keep on trucking.

This is very true. Look at the Madoka Magica collector's editions. $75 for a third of the series if ordering from Rightstuf. That's $225 for a season. A lot of people bought that set. Aniplex goes after big names because they know that's where the money is.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

serebralassazin posted:

Funimation grabbed:

Cowboy Bebop
Escaflowne
Outlaw Star
Witch Hunter Robin
My Hime
My Otome 0 ~S.ifr~
My Otome Zwei
Code Geass Akito the Exiled
Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion + Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Angel Links
Crest of the Stars
Banner of the Stars
Banner of the Stars II
Passage of the Stars - Birth
According to The Digital Bits, Funimation is also trying to get the rights to "Akira".

I must ask though, why oh why would anyone bother with "Witch Hunter Robin"?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

It did air on Adult Swim back in the day, so it's a name that people will have heard before. That can go a long way.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Along those same lines, what about Crest/Banner of the Stars? They all did get DVD releases but I don't think Banner/Banner 2 even got dubbed (and Crest had, IIRC, one of the worst dubs of all time). I don't think it ever aired on US TV anywhere either. I just find it odd to see it alongside Adult Swim stuff like Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Robert Denby posted:

I like it! If it got a BD release I'd consider double dipping.

Plus I'm going to assume that there was probably some package deals going on. So it was a "Okay, you can have Bebop, but you have to take all this other stuff as well please" thing.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

hannibal posted:

Along those same lines, what about Crest/Banner of the Stars? They all did get DVD releases but I don't think Banner/Banner 2 even got dubbed (and Crest had, IIRC, one of the worst dubs of all time). I don't think it ever aired on US TV anywhere either. I just find it odd to see it alongside Adult Swim stuff like Escaflowne, Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

They were all dubbed (the dub of Banner is significantly better), Crest aired on TechTV, Escaflowne didn't air on Adult Swim either. This help clear things up?

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011
For anyone that doesn't already have it (like me), The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Blu-Ray/DVD combo pack just dropped to $18.32 from an Amazon fulfilled seller. That's 54% off and probably the best price you will ever find.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Just got an email from amazon uk regarding my preorder of Bebop box 2.

It got pushed back to December (was September previously)
Anyone knows what's up with that?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Bebop-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00CDKFKD2/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Saying on Facebook that December is just a placeholder date because they've had to set the release date back a couple of weeks due to some sort of glitch and the real release date is most likely early October.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Awesome.
Got my box 1 in the mail last week, but wont marathon the series again until I have both boxes :)

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
GITS: Stand Alone Complex costs $150-200+ for each half? :smithicide:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Carecat posted:

GITS: Stand Alone Complex costs $150-200+ for each half? :smithicide:

If you like that you'll love what the new Space Battleship Yamato goes for.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Funimation's Blu-Ray of "Akira" will include the Streamline dub, plus most of the extras from Pioneer's DVD. Hopefully the transfer isn't windowboxed.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Saying on Facebook that December is just a placeholder date because they've had to set the release date back a couple of weeks due to some sort of glitch and the real release date is most likely early October.

Box one had a video hiccup half way through Stray Dog Strut. Presumably they're holding back to prevent that.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

Funimation's Blu-Ray of "Akira" will include the Streamline dub

yeeeeeeeeeess :getin:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SALT CURES HAM posted:

yeeeeeeeeeess :getin:
Gentlemen, we're going to the Olympics!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Hellllllo marlon brando in a floating chair!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
"Perfect Blue" is coming to Blu-Ray in the UK on October 28th from the same company doing the BR release of "Bebop" in the UK.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Perfect Blue is one of those movies I appreciate but the animation quality seems so poor that I dunno if it'd be worth watching on blueray.

Fooly Cooly 25
Jan 18, 2005

Todo lo tuyo ahora es MIO
Does Anime Ltd - the company doing the Cowboy Bebop/Perfect Blue blu-rays- have an American division?

EDIT: On a related note, what region free blu-ray players are people using? The OP is a tad dated..

Fooly Cooly 25 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 2, 2013

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
Was curious to see if the original Bubblegum Crisis had a BR release and it turns out that Animeigo is looking into doing a proper set. They're soliciting feedback on a potential kickstarter (they have a preview link posted) and on some forums they put up -- links to both are here. Sounds like there are some problems getting Crash though (shocking, legal problems with BGC), so that'd be a little bit of a bummer.

Also, looks like the original El Hazard OVAs are getting a BR release in Japan, around the end of this year. Ridiculously expensive, as expected, but it seems like too much to hope for that Funi will get the transfers and do a stateside release.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So Princess Mononoke finally has a JPN release, and it's december 4th. Way back at the beginning of this thread, I mentioned this would be the one Ghibli release I would spend $100 to import. Juuuuuust want to double check that the US and Japan share the same blu ray region.

Also releasing with Mononoke is the Cat Returns. I'm guessing the next disney release we see in the states will be Porco Rosso and Kiki's Delivery Service.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Kingtheninja posted:

So Princess Mononoke finally has a JPN release, and it's december 4th. Way back at the beginning of this thread, I mentioned this would be the one Ghibli release I would spend $100 to import. Juuuuuust want to double check that the US and Japan share the same blu ray region.

Japan and the US do share a region, but most, if not all, Japanese anime blu-rays are region free anyways.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ultimatemegax posted:

Japan and the US do share a region, but most, if not all, Japanese anime blu-rays are region free anyways.

drat, if I knew that I'd have imported the Cowboy Bebop Blurays sooner!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gaseous Snake posted:

The Cowboy Bebop blurays are licensed by Funimation and getting a release soon so it'd probably be a better plan to wait for them to drop

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gaseous Snake posted:

You should probably check the price of Japanese blu-rays before you say things like that.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Sakurazuka posted:

You should probably check the price of Japanese blu-rays before you say things like that.

Bebop is released in EU now though
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Bebop-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00CBTN08C/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cowboy-Bebop-Collectors-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00CDKFKD2/

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Yes, but the UK does not share a region with the US, and these are not region free, so it's kind of irrelevant to the original question.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It's set to come out in 2014 in the US. Since it's just '2014' I'm guessing not spring but still, hold your horses.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Watched it last week already, great movie and I loved the dub. Now for the wait for Funi's Eva 3.33 release in February.

• Locked thread