Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

swarthmeister posted:

Has there been any right-wing media outrage about the first lady advocating that we drink more water? Whether it's swapping out soda for plain water, or just drinking another glass or two daily, she's started a new "drink up" campaign in her national health focus. Given the typical GOP reaction to her health initiatives (eat healthy, exercise more, etc), I was expecting some juvenile contrarian rhetoric about how she's wrong, but haven't seen any yet. Has she finally found a health topic that's too sensible for the right to fight?
Are we going to see elevated rates of hospitalization for dehydration within Tea-Party groups?

I don't know what else to say. This is an attempt at political genocide. She's forcing a right-wing boycott of loving water. Keep on dazzling me, First Lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
So far I've just read predictable website comments and some online opinion pieces on the water initiative. I predict a smug Sean Hannity calling it a government waste of time and money to advocate something obvious because that's what liberals do right? Or something like that. Palin will hand out sodas at schools.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

swarthmeister posted:

Has there been any right-wing media outrage about the first lady advocating that we drink more water? Whether it's swapping out soda for plain water, or just drinking another glass or two daily, she's started a new "drink up" campaign in her national health focus. Given the typical GOP reaction to her health initiatives (eat healthy, exercise more, etc), I was expecting some juvenile contrarian rhetoric about how she's wrong, but haven't seen any yet. Has she finally found a health topic that's too sensible for the right to fight?
Are we going to see elevated rates of hospitalization for dehydration within Tea-Party groups?

The only coherent criticisms I've seen so far are those from environmentalists, and there's no way that right-wing media figures are going to take an environmental angle outside of implying she's a hypocrite for being ostensibly anti-pollution but not explicitly anti-retail-waterbottles.

I caught a bit of Limbaugh earlier today and it seems like at least one angle will be the usual suspects willfully misunderstanding what she implied, that you should drink water instead of soda and whatnot, with "you should drink lots of water" or "drinking water is a magical weight-loss tool" and then smugly going on about how drinking large amounts of water can be bad for you etc. Also that she is in the pocket of big-soda because soda manufacturers sell bottled water. It seems that a ton of people who don't sell or profit from water sales are pissed because this will affect their profits, and they are doing what they can to torpedo the message.

It would appear that she is actively avoiding calling for individuals to drink water instead of soda:

Politico posted:

During the conference call with reporters, those involved with the first lady’s new campaign made clear that it’s trying to dodge some of the long-running controversies in the area — like how far the government should go to discourage drinking of sugary drinks.

The new pro-water drive has the support of bottled water companies, tap water providers, reusable bottle makers and companies that provide water filtering equipment, but as a price of admission to the campaign, they’ve been required not to criticize one another or other beverage choices.

Here is the article I took the above citation from, and what Limbaugh kept referencing when attacking "Moochele".
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/michelle-obama-water-initiative-96703.html

Edit: Christ, that article is terrible. It mentions once near the end that "Despite lingering questions about the benefits of more water, health experts said drinking modest amounts of additional H2O won’t do kids or adults any harm.", one of maybe two times water drinking isn't being painted is a dangerous or questionable choice, and two sentences later you get:

"However, drinking large amounts of water can be dangerous and even deadly, if the body’s balance of electrolytes is disturbed. Marathoners, fraternity pledges and military trainees have died after drinking a large volume of water in a relatively short period of time. Some were likely overreacting to calls to stay hydrated."

Did a Coca-Cola P.R. rep. write this?

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 13, 2013

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

agarjogger posted:

I don't know what else to say. This is an attempt at political genocide. She's forcing a right-wing boycott of loving water. Keep on dazzling me, First Lady.

Actually, she's just gonna drive them to drink 2 litres of Coke whenever they would've gone for a mere can.
Diabetes will shoot up, forcing the GOP to accept Obamacare just to keep their frothing, rabid, hydrophobic base from dying of Type 2 diabetes and morbid obesity.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I told you these motherfuckers would be drinking gasoline before 2016.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
As expected Limbaugh's faux outrage at Michelle Obama's water promotion was a steam of schizophrenic nonsense. In about 60 seconds he made the following profound observations:

1) With all the important things in the world why are we talking about this :psyduck:
2) This is a liberal assault on soda freedm
3) Now all the soda companies are going to start selling bottled water (?)

I'm still not sure what larger point he was trying to get across beyond "Obamas bad".

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

When's the last time someone actually got Water Poisoning outside of extreme heat/stress scenarios that had poor EMS training? I'm willing to bet that drinking extreme amounts of water is much less dangerous than drinking extreme amounts of soda.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

keiran_helcyan posted:

As expected Limbaugh's faux outrage at Michelle Obama's water promotion was a steam of schizophrenic nonsense. In about 60 seconds he made the following profound observations:

1) With all the important things in the world why are we talking about this :psyduck:
2) This is a liberal assault on soda freedm

I'm still not sure what larger point he was trying to get across beyond "Obamas bad".

Don't the soda companies already sell bottled water?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PrinceRandom posted:

When's the last time someone actually got Water Poisoning outside of extreme heat/stress scenarios that had poor EMS training? I'm willing to bet that drinking extreme amounts of water is much less dangerous than drinking extreme amounts of soda.

There was that "hold your wee for a Wii" thing a few years ago but again, that was an extreme situation.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I know that both "sides" like to pretend that Idiocracy was made for them against the other guy, but, I mean, goddamn.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

The Ape of Naples posted:

That's what confused me. There's like only 2 big soda companies, and I swear I remember buying Aquafina and Dasani back in like the 90s.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Ape of Naples posted:

Yeah, Dasani and Smart Water I think are both by Coca Cola. I'm not sure which is Pepsi's brand. I'm glad I got done with work early today because I'd probably drive off the road if I had to hear political nonsense about drinking water.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

PrinceRandom posted:

I think the problem is that Michele and others in the campaign wanted to bring manufacturers and distributers onboard, but to do so had to avoid explicitely saying that people should drink water rather than soda. Those same companies now get to sell more water to those that buy into the campaign, and also raise a big stink about "the questionable health benefits of water" and sell more soda to the other side. All the milk and juice manufacturers are pissed because they got left in the cold so every monied interest in this is either getting free publicity and a bump in sales without having to actually help promote healthy living, or they are railing against it for financial reasons.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Are we really so far past the rainbow that we get screaming outrage over the First Lady making a timid suggestion to drink more water? Is that really what I am seeing here? Holy poo poo, future historians are going to laugh their rear end off about us in 50 years.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Phone posted:

I saw a few articles yesterday about it, and they were reddit sperglord extreme about the wording. I really don't want to find it, but one of the arguments was, "The claim that you'll have more energy through drinking a glass of water is a blatant falsehood because water contains 0 calories; therefore, I AM AN INSUFFERABLE DOUCHEBAG THAT NEVER GETS INVITED OUT TO ANYTHING NEVER EVER BECAUSE I'M A PEDANTIC ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"

It was more "she said you'll feel more energized if you drink another cup of water a day well that might be true if you weren't already properly hydrated but WHAT IF YOU WERE????? No more energy then!!! Checkmate."

But really, drink water and be properly hydrated. It's good for you.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Nyyen posted:

and also raise a big stink about "the questionable health benefits of water"

"The human body is about 50-65% water already. Isn't that enough water, Obama? I guess it wouldn't be if you were in the pocket of the WATER LOBBY" :argh:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

quote:

1) With all the important things in the world why are we talking about this

I don't know man you're the one gettin paid to talk about poo poo and you're in charge of this show. She's a figurehead mom who's following in a tradition of first ladies doing puff projects.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I sincerely hope we see the water hullabaloo expand. I want every right-wing pundit and nut job commenting on it.

"Drink water, eh? Watch as I drink this soda and feel just fine :smug:"

Although I should probably drink more water... think all I wound up actually drinking yesterday was coffee and beer.

I am going to die.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Nyyen posted:

"However, drinking large amounts of water can be dangerous and even deadly, if the body’s balance of electrolytes is disturbed. Marathoners, fraternity pledges and military trainees have died after drinking a large volume of water in a relatively short period of time. Some were likely overreacting to calls to stay hydrated."

That's shock. They get hot, drink icy water and die of shock.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Barack Obama is a secret Muslim trying to push his Islamic agenda on America

Michelle Obama is a secret mermaid trying to push her water agenda on America.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't know man you're the one gettin paid to talk about poo poo and you're in charge of this show. She's a figurehead mom who's following in a tradition of first ladies doing puff projects.

Yea but she's a hypocrite because she drank a soda once!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PrinceRandom posted:

Fraternity here in the Netherlands managed to kill a dude a few years back as part of the hazing where they had to answer questions and down a full glass of water for every wrong answer and weren't allowed to pee. But then again, fraternity at the same university managed to put someone on fire during hazing about a year or 2 after that so I don't think the water was the culprit.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Nyyen posted:

Here is the article I took the above citation from, and what Limbaugh kept referencing when attacking "Moochele".
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/michelle-obama-water-initiative-96703.html

Edit: Christ, that article is terrible. It mentions once near the end that "Despite lingering questions about the benefits of more water, health experts said drinking modest amounts of additional H2O won’t do kids or adults any harm.", one of maybe two times water drinking isn't being painted is a dangerous or questionable choice, and two sentences later you get:

The stuff they're referencing is so damned rare that it might make the news once or twice a year. It's nearly impossible for someone who isn't doing it intentionally. I once tried drinking three gallons of water over the course of a day, you'll pee a lot but unless you're shotgunning it and/or deliberately avoiding food during that time, you'll only get a bit light-headed.

ErichZahn posted:

That's shock. They get hot, drink icy water and die of shock.

There are definitely cases where athletes fall ill and unconscious from electrolyte imbalance, I think it's just that most people who understand fitness also understand water isn't the only thing you need to stay properly hydrated. The son-in-law of a coworker was hospitalized because he didn't understand he needed proper sodium and potassium levels - he'd been biking for many hours and drinking only water, and his diet was nearly devoid of sodium. He got a headache, passed out (likely seized too), and had to be collected and set straight by doctors.

It's why I'll bring some jerky or sunflower seeds and a can of low-sodium V8 along with the water bottle when doing prolonged outdoor exercise.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Ramadu posted:

I'm not sure which is Pepsi's brand.

Aqua Fina, in case you were still wondering.

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

keiran_helcyan posted:

It'd blow his mind to find out they have been for years.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Nyyen posted:

I think the problem is that Michele and others in the campaign wanted to bring manufacturers and distributers onboard, but to do so had to avoid explicitely saying that people should drink water rather than soda. Those same companies now get to sell more water to those that buy into the campaign, and also raise a big stink about "the questionable health benefits of water" and sell more soda to the other side.

'Double-dipping' is pretty much the motto of capitalism. Remember how not long ago fast food companies were introducing comically-unhealthy options -- like the Double Down -- basically as a way for people to react against a 'healthy eating' buzz those same companies indulged? It's like, you bring in a healthy choice menu, then you bring in a comically-unhealthy thing for people to spite-eat ('drat political correctness trying to keep me from my burgers!').

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Prester John posted:

Are we really so far past the rainbow that we get screaming outrage over the First Lady making a timid suggestion to drink more water? Is that really what I am seeing here? Holy poo poo, future historians are going to laugh their rear end off about us in 50 years.

Mark my words, one day she's going to suggest that everyone get more fresh air and they'll react by screaming "YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO MOO-CHELLE I'M GUNNA SUCK THE TAILPIPE OF MY F-150!!!"

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

'Double-dipping' is pretty much the motto of capitalism. Remember how not long ago fast food companies were introducing comically-unhealthy options -- like the Double Down -- basically as a way for people to react against a 'healthy eating' buzz those same companies indulged? It's like, you bring in a healthy choice menu, then you bring in a comically-unhealthy thing for people to spite-eat ('drat political correctness trying to keep me from my burgers!').

Honestly, the double down is probably less unhealthy than most fast food sandwiches. The concept was just really loving gross.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

Yeah, I wish any of this a shock to me. At least some people will be drinking water, and the people who are not out of spite will be dead that much sooner.

I wonder if you'll be able to tell where someone stands politically in a few years by their weight and whether they have diabetes.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Mark my words, one day she's going to suggest that everyone get more fresh air and they'll react by screaming "YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO MOO-CHELLE I'M GUNNA SUCK THE TAILPIPE OF MY F-150!!!"
Republicans all start chain-smoking, eating nothing but Big Macs, and drinking nothing but Jolt cola. 10 years later the US officially becomes the world first 100% liberal nation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cue Sarah Palin at her next speech, wherever it is and whatever the gently caress it's for or supposed to represent, pouring out a bottle of clean water all over the stage and then smugly sipping from a Big Gulp full of Mountain Dew.

We're seriously approaching "Brondo" territory here. I've heard it has "electrolytes" and it's also my understanding that plants crave it in some fashion. Bonus points if Sarah pours it into and/or gathers the aforementioned water out of a toilet.

edit: god loving dammit. I joke all the time about how the Obama's should just ask for the exact opposite of whatever it was they want and are trying to do and could say something like "water is good for you. It's the essence of life" and Republicans will knee jerk a reaction that says "nuh-uh" and somehow put Coca Cola on the periodic table, but we're witnessing it, aren't we?

I wonder what would happen if Obama came out and wanted to cut taxes for the rich, ban gay marriage and lower the minimum wage?

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 13, 2013

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Good Citizen posted:

Honestly, the double down is probably less unhealthy than most fast food sandwiches. The concept was just really loving gross.

Yeah, I had heard this. I was thinking more in terms of the concept though. It was sold as, and gained fame for, the 'how obscene is this!'-factor. Whether it objectively has more saturated fat, salt, whatever is kind of secondary.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BiggerBoat posted:

I wonder what would happen if Obama came out and wanted to cut taxes for the rich, ban gay marriage and lower the minimum wage?

RaHoWa

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Cue Sarah Palin at her next speech, wherever it is and whatever the gently caress it's for or supposed to represent, pouring out a bottle of clean water all over the stage and then smugly sipping from a Big Gulp full of Mountain Dew.

We're seriously approaching "Brondo" territory here. I've heard it has "electrolytes" and it's also my understanding that plants crave it in some fashion. Bonus points if Sarah pours it into and/or gathers the aforementioned water out of a toilet.

edit: god loving dammit. I joke all the time about how the Obama's should just ask for the exact opposite of whatever it was they want and are trying to do and could say something like "water is good for you. It's the essence of life" and Republicans will knee jerk a reaction that says "nuh-uh" and somehow put Coca Cola on the periodic table, but we're witnessing it, aren't we?

A while back I made a joke that the Republicans would lose their minds over something as trivial as Obama having a hamburger for lunch.

It later turned out that it wasn't a joke. It was a thing that had happened. I got a link, within minutes, to an article where the Republicans did exactly that. They criticized Obama for having a hamburger as well as the choice of mustard he made.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A while back I made a joke that the Republicans would lose their minds over something as trivial as Obama having a hamburger for lunch.

It later turned out that it wasn't a joke. It was a thing that had happened. I got a link, within minutes, to an article where the Republicans did exactly that. They criticized Obama for having a hamburger as well as the choice of mustard he made.

Dijon mustard, known favorite food of the elite in their ivory towers. How unfair, that I, as a working class man, can only dream of purchasing this ambrosia, this nectar of the gods.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Geez, I can hardly wait for the stnk eye from friends when they scope me drinking water to hydrate myself- falling blindly in line with the Obama agenda.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BiggerBoat posted:

Did you miss her CPAC speech?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

For gently caress's sake pack it in. Everyone pack it in, wrap it up. What the gently caress is the point of making jokes. The jokes go into the party platform. I am experiencing very strong and disorienting vertigo right now.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I wonder when they're going to start wearing stillsuits?
A little salty, but fluorine free!

There's a gag about the cinnamon challenge too, but I am too tired to see it.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Sarah Palin is like the human Avatar of the freep thread motto: there is always more, and it is always worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Did you miss her CPAC speech?

So was this at all related to anything the Obamas were doing at the time or was it some sort of personal freedom response to the New York soda limitation thing that Jon Stewart was complaining about for like two months?