Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

haljordan posted:

Yeah now imagine you're a fan of the team who lost to the "putrid" Patriots.

It sustains me. I feed on morsels of misery to grow as a bad person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

WugLyfe posted:

It sustains me. I feed on morsels of misery to grow as a bad person.

Can one of our Greek majors tell me what the opposite of Eudaimonia is?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Chichevache posted:

Can one of our Greek majors tell me what the opposite of Eudaimonia is?

"Dysdaimonia"? (I know nothing about Greek.)

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cruel and Unusual posted:

"Dysdaimonia"? (I know nothing about Greek.)

Correct per the "Oxford Handbook of Happiness":
http://books.google.com/books?id=Hw...aimonia&f=false

...and Andrew Maslow, if this source is accurate:
http://philosophythink.blogspot.com/2012/09/eudaimonia-frequently-translated-as.html

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Febreeze posted:

Welcome to how most spoiled Patriots fans currently work. "WE AREN'T UNBEATABLE ANYMORE, WE LOOK KINDA BAD, EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE, WAAAAAAA" :patssay:

I think it was Patriots fans who started the "NFL is rigged" talk too, shortly after the Pats lost Superbowl 46. Even though using superbowl 46 as an example is easily the dumbest thing.

Which is funny, because I remember Patriots fans being incredulous at the idea that some felt the Pats winning the Super Bowl RIGHT after 9/11 being weird timing and claiming the fix was in. Funny how that accusation only seems baseless when it doesn't benefit you to these people.

Note: I do not actually think any Superbowls were rigged in any way. I do think there are some incongruities in some other major sports, but I don't want to derail.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
Someone posted a terrible Patriots writer without quoting Dan Shaughnessy's latest masterpiece? Shameful.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/09/12/not-lot-display-prime-time-foxborough/gxJmWm9ubpPTo1vLL1Hi3H/story.html

quote:

The Patriots staggered and sloshed to a 13-10 victory over the Jets Thursday night. It was virtually unwatchable professional football. In the words of my new favorite Twitter friend, it was like watching a start by Daisuke Matsuzaka.

OK, we won’t. But here’s a little hyperbole for you: The 2013 Patriots look like the worst 2-0 team in the history of football. “The Waltz of the Tomato Cans” is playing over the loudspeaker at Gillette. Again. The locals are artificially inflated by the incompetence of their division opponents. Again.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

superaielman posted:

Someone posted a terrible Patriots writer without quoting Dan Shaughnessy's latest masterpiece? Shameful.

quote:

Tom was unusually demonstrative throughout the night. He was John Lackey-like (circa 2011).
Of course he always brings it back to the Sawx. gently caress Dan Shaughnessy

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

superaielman posted:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/09/12/not-lot-display-prime-time-foxborough/gxJmWm9ubpPTo1vLL1Hi3H/story.html

I like how he says "looks like the worst 2-0 team in NFL history" when you could go back to literally just last year to see the Eagles were far, far worse at 2-0.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Febreeze posted:

I like how he says "looks like the worst 2-0 team in NFL history" when you could go back to literally just last year to see the Eagles were far, far worse at 2-0.

Also the worst 3-1 team in history too!

But probably better than some teams that ended up 4-12.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Febreeze posted:

The best part of that Eagles team is they were 2-0 with a point differential of... 2. (also accomplished by the Mark Brunell led 2005 Washington)

The worst recent team was probably the 2002 Bears though. They beat a bad Vikings and an okay Falcons team by a combined 4 points enroute to a 4-12 season.

The Dick Jauron experience.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 13, 2013

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Febreeze posted:

*AHEM*

2012 Arizona Cardinals

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
There was a season where the Packers finished below .500 but still scored more points than they allowed and for the life of me I can't remember which year it was.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Febreeze posted:

I was thinking that myself, but I didn't want to brag about recent Eagles history too much.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Chris Gaines posted:

There was a season where the Packers finished below .500 but still scored more points than they allowed and for the life of me I can't remember which year it was.
You probably mean 2008 when they went 6-10 with +39 in points and +7 in turnovers. You can see all point differentials on PFR.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ozu posted:

You probably mean 2008 when they went 6-10 with +39 in points and +7 in turnovers. You can see all point differentials on PFR.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/
That would be it, thanks. I tried looking it up on PFR too but failed miserably :shobon:

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
"I was thinking of putting a Twitter reference in my column" - a fucker

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Chichevache posted:

*AHEM*

2012 Arizona Cardinals

That Cardinals team probably would have ended around .500 if Kevin Kolb's ribs had stayed attached to his sternum.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Grozz Nuy posted:

That Cardinals team probably would have ended around .500 if Kevin Kolb's ribs had stayed attached to his sternum.

Probably. But that would also require that team to have a line that wouldn't kill every quarterback in the league, which it didn't. And with Kolb gone I think they were the worst in the league last year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Average Citizen posted:

I am a longtime reader of MMQB and have never written before, but your question about the University of Minnesota allowing Jerry Kill to coach football was insensitive. People in the workplace who have epilepsy are protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act. As a parent with a child who has epilepsy, I know the concerns about my son having seizures at work—he is a high school teacher and wrestling coach. Plain and simple, it is discrimination if his employer was to limit his ability to earn a living doing what he loves. The ADA requires his employer to make accommodations so that he can “enjoy equal employment opportunities.” As long as his doctor clears him for his duties, his employers would be in violation if they tried to remove him from his position for having seizures.

Peter King posted:

I’m simply asking the question about how practical it is to have a college football coach on the sideline or in a locker room, going down more than once a year, on average, with a seizure—in full view of a television audience and a stadium full of fans. I’m not trying to be insensitive. I’m trying to be practical. It just seems the wrong job for that. Am I wrong? Probably. Am I being insensitive? Maybe I am.

He's just asking whether or not it would be more practical for people with epilepsy to cease existing. Does that make Peter King an ignorant, disgusting human being? Maybe, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He's just asking whether or not it would be more practical for people with epilepsy to cease existing. Does that make Peter King an ignorant, disgusting human being? Maybe, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

To be fair, there are many jobs that having epilepsy would disqualify you for. I don't think football coach is one of them though.

To me, the "insensitive" thing about King's statements is more the perspective he is taking. I personally don't think Jerry Kill should coach college football. Not because of how it might hurt the team/school/program, but because I worry about his health. It's unclear what type of epilepsy he has, but the long hours, high-stress, full days of practice in the sun, etc could certainly be triggers or at least contributing factors to his seizures. The fact that the majority of his episodes occur during games gives support to this theory. From that perspective, I would prefer Kill step away for his own good. What is gross about King's argument is that it sounds like he doesn't care about Jerry Kill, but the effectiveness of the Gophers and their number of wins...

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I doubt Minnesota would fire Kill for having epilepsy, at least they would be incredibly stupid to do so. They could easily say he isn't meeting performance expectations. The best thing would just be to not extend or renew his contract, isn't it only for another year?

I have seen that he has seizures at other times, which to be fair does impact his ability to do his job. It takes time away from recruiting and coaching. It would be best for his own health to either step aside, or take a smaller role for some other team if he wants to continue coaching.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

There are plenty of things to poo poo on Peter King for without making things up. If the guy is having multiple seizures on the sidelines, which he has, it seems fair to ask if it is still safe for him to coach. You don't need to cram words he did not say into his mouth. Peter King sucks enough without creating reasons out of thin air as examples of why he sucks.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

He described a reporter as "notable" without saying why he was notable. It's such a small thing but it really shows how he writes these columns on a fly-by-night basis without giving a poo poo.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The worst part of the King response is that he treats legal requirements as just vague suggestions. "I'm simply asking whether it's more practical to follow or to violate federal law."

midwat
May 6, 2007

Rap posted:

The worst part of the King response is that he treats legal requirements as just vague suggestions. "I'm simply asking whether it's more practical to follow or to violate federal law."

Must be a side effect of all that time he spent with Goodell.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Just bathe yourself in this Rick Reilly.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds

quote:

"We have two great tribes here," says Kingston assistant school superintendent Ron Whipkey, "the Chicasaw and the Choctaw. And not one member of those tribes has ever come to me or our school with a complaint. It is a prideful thing to them."

"It's a name that honors the people," says Kingston English teacher Brett Hayes, who is Choctaw. "The word 'Oklahoma' itself is Choctaw for 'red people.' The students here don't want it changed. To them, it seems like it's just people who have no connection with the Native American culture, people out there trying to draw attention to themselves.

"My kids are really afraid we're going to lose the Redskin name. They say to me, 'They're not going to take it from us, are they, Dad?'"

Too late. White America has spoken. You aren't offended, so we'll be offended for you.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

This might be the literal worst piece of sports journalism I've ever read.

quote:

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

Kind of like a reservation.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I hope Rick Reilly gets fired for that.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.
Reilly's pretty fortunate to have such a multicultural family he can use to justify being a racist hack.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
ah yes, the reservation of worrying whether a name is offensive. I mean at this point trolling is a widely used clickbait practice, Reilly is basically just doing his best Skip Bayless impression. It doesn't make it less wrong, it's just expected

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rap posted:

ah yes, the reservation of worrying whether a name is offensive. I mean at this point trolling is a widely used clickbait practice, Reilly is basically just doing his best Skip Bayless impression. It doesn't make it less wrong, it's just expected

I think it's more of a problem with Reilly because for whatever reason, there still seems to exist a perception that he's this elder statesman who knows what's best, and people should listen to him. Nobody thinks that of Skip Bayless.

And I don't think he's trolling. I think he seriously believes this.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Several months ago Rick Reilly wrote a poem (a terrible poem, our Farthouse goons made better stuff) for his column. I cannot seriously believe he didn't do that for the attention. I think on some level Reilly is without a doubt a troll. It seems pretty standard for the industry trolls. Do your thing, but occasionally do something controversial and stupid because it gets you attention just as people start to forget.

Peter King is totally honest in his stupidity, I'll give him that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I understand that line of thinking but I would say there's a very real possibility he's trying to reach out to the "Society has become too P.C." crowd, who would just prefer to leave things like this and the Cleveland Indians logo alone. I suspect a reasonable amount of those types probably read SI.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
A main reason I think he's trolling sometimes is that one unscripted comment he made demanding that someone give him credit for breaking a story he didn't break. He knows he's poo poo as a journalist and he has to scrape up pageviews somehow.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rap posted:

A main reason I think he's trolling sometimes is that one unscripted comment he made demanding that someone give him credit for breaking a story he didn't break. He knows he's poo poo as a journalist and he has to scrape up pageviews somehow.

Have you considered the possibility he's not a very smart person?

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think it's more of a problem with Reilly because for whatever reason, there still seems to exist a perception that he's this elder statesman who knows what's best, and people should listen to him. Nobody thinks that of Skip Bayless.

Skip has the potential, at least, to be legitimately entertaining. Rick Reilly has the potential to...what?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Gregggg Easterbrook was on NPR yesterday shilling his new book.

It was exactly as pompous and shitheaded as you'd expect from Easterbrook.

You missed nothing of value.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Rap posted:

Yeeesssss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbjCKEmOaD4

Wasn't it also the case that he didn't actually "have it first"?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

NCAA instead of NFL, but Dom Cosentino has been publishing some garbage on Deadspin as of late.

http://deadspin.com/why-sis-oklahoma-state-series-sucked-the-inside-story-1337305723

http://deadspin.com/nebraska-will-not-fire-bo-pelini-for-saying-gently caress-a-lo-1343013362

On the one hand he seems to have led the Bo Pelini says gently caress story from last week, which felt like the most breathless coverage of the F word this side of a church publication. On the other he's a big critic of the SI Oklahoma State expose. While I'm in agreement that it's hardly news to anyone that college football players are getting some food money, smoke weed and having sex- or for that matter that anyone cares or would want it differently- Dom's argument seems all over the map. After wandering through the "author just hates OSU" and "well he didn't interview everyone at the University" arguments, Dom ends up with a conclusion that the problem is SI's report was not actually in depth enough. Just to remind you: this is from the guy who wrote multiple posts on Coach Saying F Word.

He also has something about the return of scholarships to Penn State that seems to equate the corrutpion of Penn State with the money-sex-weed environments of virtually every other FBS school...

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Cross-posting from SAS' journalism thread. Reilly's not letting go of the Washington name issue easily:

http://espn.go.com/blog/rick-reilly-go-fish/post/_/id/1272/rick-reilly-mailbag-sept-25-2013

• Locked thread