Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
It's ok to start with little weights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Things that make you go hmmmm. If you're really fat, aren't you basically lifting weights any time you move?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Angela Christine posted:

Things that make you go hmmmm. If you're really fat, aren't you basically lifting weights any time you move?

Yes, in fact every time you draw a breath. This is how a lot of fat people die when their heart or lungs can no longer keep up with the demands of lifting their disgusting body.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Wrong

Cardio can be way harder on the joints and ligaments especially high impact stuff like running. There's nothing wrong with lifting weights while you're fat.

I said to start out walking. If walking is hard on his joints then weightlifting is going to be hell.

Winston N. Rumfoord
Aug 18, 2010
I've read this entire thread and I missed the part where Benny is SO FAT HE CAN'T LIFT WEIGHTS. I thought he was just overweight?

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

natetimm posted:

I said to start out walking. If walking is hard on his joints then weightlifting is going to be hell.

I don't think you understand body mechanics at all.

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010

Arch Stanton posted:

I don't think you understand body mechanics at all.

Aren't those just called doctors? Benny, have you considered going back to school and doing pre-med?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

YLLS has probably hundreds of people who were massively overweight, started lifting, and now look great. But in all honestly, it doesn't matter if it's walking, lifting weights, or line dancing for all I care. The guy needs to get active physically. Ease his way into it of course, but he needs to break a sweat, get his heart pumping, and burn some calories. And he needs to do it regularly. This is poo poo that doesn't cost a dime and only costs time (which Benny has a lot of).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Niwrad posted:

YLLS has probably hundreds of people who were massively overweight, started lifting, and now look great. But in all honestly, it doesn't matter if it's walking, lifting weights, or line dancing for all I care. The guy needs to get active physically. Ease his way into it of course, but he needs to break a sweat, get his heart pumping, and burn some calories. And he needs to do it regularly. This is poo poo that doesn't cost a dime and only costs time (which Benny has a lot of).

Benny, listen to this poster, they are smart.

Also, working out will make you feel better, Benny! It might even make you sharper mentally, I know that once I started eating better, drinking more water, and working out I became like 200% more on top of things, both at work and at home. Also, I have a shitload more energy. I used to nap every day for 2-3 hours after work, now I don't nap at all and have tons of free time to do stuff!

Winston N. Rumfoord
Aug 18, 2010
Benny, if you can slam carts into cars you can lift weights.

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
To be honest, I don't think benny should be referred to the internet to lose weight.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

natetimm posted:

I don't want to nitpick you, but lifting weights can actually be really damaging to people depending on their body type, medical history, etc. For people that have been overweight for a long time, it's usually better to ease into some cardio and drop some of the weight before you go whole hog into weight lifting. With the added stress on your body from already being fat, it's much easier to do something like pull a muscle or hurt your back if you aren't careful. Benny's best bet to start off would probably be long walks or jogs and then move into weights after that.
He'd be too fat to walk long before he's too fat to lift weights. Plus, it isn't high impact like jogging.

Besides, you control your routine. Weight lifting is as easy or hard on the body as you make it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

He'd be too fat to walk long before he's too fat to lift weights. Plus, it isn't high impact like jogging.

Besides, you control your routine. Weight lifting is as easy or hard on the body as you make it.

Walking is very common in the success stories of the formerly huge, free, low-skill, easy to do spontaneously, and perfectly fine way for people starting from absolute zero to get into working out. Nothing Benny's said about his weight makes it sound like he's morbidly, mobility-limiting obese anyway so quit being such a loving sperg about somebody on the internet forgetting to say your hobby is the official number one best thing in every context. That's not the topic of this thread, Benny's staggering incompetence is.

Benny don't answer any of this bullshit, don't you dare, take your meds, talk to your doc about side effects, and don't get distracted. Take your meds, Benny. Don't come back telling us how you dropped hundreds of dollars on an e-trainer and are applying for jobs as an olympic lifter. Take your meds, report on how med-taking is going.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

That's not the topic of this thread, Benny's staggering incompetence is.
Good health helps everything, especially issues like his being self-conscious about his weight. I recall him giving shifty answers earlier in the thread that got some people to start trying to pin him down on the subject. If it messes with how he presents himself in an internet forum then it's definitely affecting how he presents himself in person.

Also...

quote:

Nothing Benny's said about his weight makes it sound like he's morbidly, mobility-limiting obese anyway so quit being such a loving sperg about somebody on the internet forgetting to say your hobby is the official number one best thing in every context.
I honestly don't know what I wrote that compelled you to post that. Walking is great exercise for anyone trying to lose weight (it isn't high impact like jogging).

E: Also, Natetimm's advice was bad enough I thought he might have posted it just to gently caress with Benny. That's why I responded. I'm not trying to toot my own horn; I'm trying to pitch exercise to a guy who'd benefit from it in the same way I did.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 14, 2013

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

Good health helps everything, especially issues like his being self-conscious about his weight. I recall him giving shifty answers earlier in the thread that got some people to start trying to pin him down on the subject. If it messes with how he presents himself in an internet forum then it's definitely affecting how he presents himself in person.

If you've been reading the thread from the beginning you should know that Benny has serious, debilitating issues with focus. None of us are doing him any favors at all trying to tell him to do more than one task at a time. No matter how wonderful exercise is, he is not capable of trying two new things at once. We all have to stop expecting him to be as functional as a regular person and give him advice that's on his level, one issue at a time. Right now Benny cannot work out, he cannot find a job, he needs to take his medication. His brain does not work right, he is mentally ill, he's not just some fatgoon who watches too much anime like you can usually safely assume in an E/N thread. Giving him any tasks to try, any posts to respond to that aren't focused on getting mentally healthy are not doing him any favors.

Yes, you are right, a regular depressed person would benefit greatly from working out. Someday Benny will benefit greatly from working out. But right now he needs to deal with the fact that his brain doesn't work right. We all need to stop distracting him with infighting and one-size-fits all advice and respect the fact that Benny needs to take his medication.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
Yeah, walking and chewing gum remembering to take meds is some high-intensity poo poo.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Dex posted:

Yeah, walking and chewing gum remembering to take meds is some high-intensity poo poo.

When you're clinically depressed to the point that you've lost all interest in the few things you've enjoyed in your life (in Benny's case, he's said as much in regards to his hobby writings), then actually it is. Anyone that's ever suffered from severe depression can easily tell you that there are days when even getting yourself out of bed can be the biggest accomplishment you manage because all you want to do is lay there and stop existing.

Benny, chin up. Remember, there are people out there (and in this thread) that do want you to do well. Keep going to therapy and doing what you've been doing. As always, remember that I'm here if you need someone to chat with, even though I don't always have advice I know it can be good to just have a sympathetic ear sometimes.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

That drat Satyr posted:

Benny, chin up. Remember, there are people out there (and in this thread) that do want you to do well. Keep going to therapy and doing what you've been doing. As always, remember that I'm here if you need someone to chat with, even though I don't always have advice I know it can be good to just have a sympathetic ear sometimes.
Seconding this.

Also, Benny has said that he is overweight, but he also rides his bike a lot so he's probably not out of control overweight. I'm not discouraging him from any kind of exercise but I do think it should be noted that he's not completely sedentary, for whatever that is worth to him and his progress on any front.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

That drat Satyr posted:

When you're clinically depressed to the point that you've lost all interest in the few things you've enjoyed in your life (in Benny's case, he's said as much in regards to his hobby writings), then actually it is. Anyone that's ever suffered from severe depression can easily tell you that there are days when even getting yourself out of bed can be the biggest accomplishment you manage because all you want to do is lay there and stop existing.

Well thankfully E/N is here to tell Benny that rather than trying to walk around for a bit, he can read comic books and do gently caress all else until he 'feels better'. Trying things is hard, so don't, in my opinion.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Dex posted:

Well thankfully E/N is here to tell Benny that rather than trying to walk around for a bit, he can read comic books and do gently caress all else until he 'feels better'. Trying things is hard, so don't, in my opinion.

Giving up every beneficial thing in life that you enjoy must happen immoderately because you can't find a job and are a little overweight is obviously the right answer then. Sorry I misunderstood.

You seem to not get the idea that when someone is depressed to the point that they're basically disabled they need to have something they find enjoyable in their life. In Benny's case, the creative outlet of writing is something he really enjoys, even if he might not necessarily be "good" at it. Think about it like your crazy uncle that likes to build model cars - sure, they don't come out looking like they do on the box but it's something to spend time doing, that lets you renew yourself and fuel some energy in a creative manner. Creativity is a necessary outlet for human beings, and when they have that cut off they become depressed and don't want to do poo poo.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

That drat Satyr posted:

Giving up every beneficial thing in life that you enjoy must happen immoderately because you can't find a job and are a little overweight is obviously the right answer then. Sorry I misunderstood.

Yep, I totally said he has to discard all material possessions and begin walking the earth in search of The Answer. I'm not at all implying that the guy who posted "Right now Benny cannot work out, he cannot find a job, he needs to take his medication" is giving lovely advice or anything. Thank you for understanding, and for explaining that creativity is a thing Humans need.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dex posted:

Yep, I totally said he has to discard all material possessions and begin walking the earth in search of The Answer. I'm not at all implying that the guy who posted "Right now Benny cannot work out, he cannot find a job, he needs to take his medication" is giving lovely advice or anything. Thank you for understanding, and for explaining that creativity is a thing Humans need.

It's not lovely advice, you're just too stupid to understand what "mentally ill" means. We've had an entire thread documenting Benny's mental problems, his inability to prioritize tasks, his habit of latching onto irrelevant comments instead of important next steps, his wavering commitment to his medication/therapy program, and his general, unmistakable, low-functioning existence right now. I know you feel good being captain harddick rubbing out the same advice you'd give any other person who didn't ask for it, but severely mentally ill people, which Benny has an actual medical diagnosis of being, have different priorities than your fat rear end.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

It's not lovely advice, you're just too stupid to understand what "mentally ill" means. We've had an entire thread documenting Benny's mental problems, his inability to prioritize tasks, his habit of latching onto irrelevant comments instead of important next steps, his wavering commitment to his medication/therapy program, and his general, unmistakable, low-functioning existence right now. I know you feel good being captain harddick rubbing out the same advice you'd give any other person who didn't ask for it, but severely mentally ill people, which Benny has an actual medical diagnosis of being, have different priorities than your fat rear end.

Yeah, you caught me, I'm supremely loving fat, well done. I'm sorry for assuming that Benny might, just possibly, be capable of both remembering to take medication AND put one foot in front of the other sometimes instead of treating him like the absolute waste of genetic material all mentally ill people are. Benny, I am very sorry for thinking you'd be able to try to do a thing, but in my defense, I am A. Hitler(the a is for ableism). Please refer to forums poster Tiny Brontosaurus for future advice rather than trying to do anything under your own initiative, or discussing it with a therapist if your sadbrain is severe enough to stop you from walking around.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Benny, please continue to prioritize your mental health and the medication regimen that helps you.

Meanwhile, on lovely sunny days please think about maybe going for a walk once in a while. If you find them to be something you enjoy, you'll naturally do them more often and that will be a good thing. Also, salads can be yummy. You have to eat anyway, so you might as well give them a try.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Benny should also consider joining a low-pressure local sports team. Bowling, softball, whatever. Having a team schedule will help motivate him to attend when he doesn't feel like it, and he'll meet new people in the process.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

echopapa posted:

Benny should also consider joining a low-pressure local sports team. Bowling, softball, whatever. Having a team schedule will help motivate him to attend when he doesn't feel like it, and he'll meet new people in the process.

I don't know man, bowling? What if he really really likes it? Likes it so much that he buys his own shoes, and buys his own ball. Just think of it: Benny wandering the streets with 16 pound bowling ball. Do you really want that on your conscience?

HonkyDong
Sep 9, 2012

gently caress the ROW posted:

Yes, in fact every time you draw a breath. This is how a lot of fat people die when their heart or lungs can no longer keep up with the demands of lifting their disgusting body.

Maybe you should stop body-shaming and offer some serious advice instead?

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

HonkyDong posted:

Maybe you should stop body-shaming and offer some serious advice instead?

Actually, public shaming is a great way to stop bigots and fat people from being that way.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Hey Benny forget being an adult with a job, career or future. These folks seem to believe that anything beyond "pill in mouth, sip of water, swallow" is impossible for you.

Just keep taking your meds and maybe join a local sports team if it isn't too hard for you.

What's that? You have bills to pay and student loans to pay off and you want to leave your parents house sometime before 50? No, no, no, EN. has decided that taking pills and maybe walking around a block will be all it takes to support an adult and is all your frail, dumb body can handle, they want you to have less responsibility than an 8 yr old with chores, nothing but solid advice here.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

I think he should work out by going for a jog and making a calendar thingie where he marks on the calendar every day he jogs so he can watch the tic marks accumulate and feel a healthy sense of pride.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Lariat posted:

Hey Benny forget being an adult with a job, career or future. These folks seem to believe that anything beyond "pill in mouth, sip of water, swallow" is impossible for you.

Just keep taking your meds and maybe join a local sports team if it isn't too hard for you.

What's that? You have bills to pay and student loans to pay off and you want to leave your parents house sometime before 50? No, no, no, EN. has decided that taking pills and maybe walking around a block will be all it takes to support an adult and is all your frail, dumb body can handle, they want you to have less responsibility than an 8 yr old with chores, nothing but solid advice here.

For gently caress's sake, there's this idea called "one step at a time"? He won't be successful at having a job and living on his own until he gets his mental health in check. We've had something like 75 pages to see that trying to work on that poo poo all at once is not working out for him. How are you actually so loving stupid you can't understand why a mentally ill person might need to wait for their medication to kick in before taking other major steps in their life? Why is anyone even commenting in this thread who doesn't know what "psychosis" means?

Seriously, what the gently caress are you getting out of this? What possible benefit is there to you to throw fits about people telling a mentally ill person to focus on the treatment for his mental illness? Are you a scientologist? Bet the rent money against Benny's life ever improving? Insufferable shut-in goonlord who can only comprehend life through a set of arbitrary rules you got secondhand from other insufferable shut-in goonlords? Give me one good reason why "hey Benny try not to let the chatter in this thread distract you from doing what your doctor told you, since that should be your top priority right now" is such a huge goddamned affront to your sensibilities that you've just gotta postpostpost about it even if you have to make up the other side of the argument in order to do it?

Or save time and just explain to me what colossal failure of the modern education system left you believing the definition of "right now" is "forever and ever and to the exclusion of all other things"?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
Did that same mental illness keep him from completing college?

Yes/ no?

I suppose teeny tiny baby steps makes sense in a world where everything is taken care of you by some kind of caretaker. In the real world bills have to be paid and poo poo has to get done at some point, it'd be great to sit in our parents house until 24 reading comics and making sweet movie of the month posts but eventually life has to start.
Benny is an adult, an adult who was competent enough to complete his education, he is not a baby or invalid, to treat him as such is quite insulting to what he has accomplished on his own before this thread was ever posted.

What side of the argument am I making up? Are there not a page of posts telling Benny to take his meds and worry about nothing else? There are even posts against physical activity. I have to postpostpost as you put it because every other page is someone saying "it's okay Benny, take your meds and the rest will work itself out eventually." Benny is not a child, he is an adult and the thought of an adult short of suffering from ravaging sickness, complete mental handicap or full on paralysis having their daily to-do list consist of

1. Take meds
2. Repeat tomorrow.

is drat shameful, as long as the majority of posts are enabling and supporting Benny to continue a life of nothing I will continue to pop in and remind Benny that he started this thread with a purpose in mind and as of right now he is no closer to the goal of "moving out" than he was the night his comics were put in danger.

E: At any rate consider my postpostposting to be a good indicator of the amount of piss flowing into Benny's well.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 16, 2013

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Seriously, what the gently caress are you getting out of this? What possible benefit is there to you to throw fits about people telling a mentally ill person to focus on the treatment for his mental illness?

Literally nobody said "hey Benny, quit your pills and hail Satan six six six", hope that helps.

Edit: benny, you should continue taking your pills, but also hail Satan.

Dex fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 16, 2013

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I agree, Satan is the answer. Benny have you considered selling your soul to the dark lord?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Dr. Lariat posted:

I agree, Satan is the answer. Benny have you considered selling your soul to the dark lord?

We have seen Benny negotiate. Do you really think he can get the worth of his soul at the bargaining table?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Lariat posted:

Did that same mental illness keep him from completing college?

Yes/ no?

Mental illnesses frequently manifest or become more severe in a person's mid-twenties, so this is completely meaningless. You're ignorant, go post in a thread about a subject you aren't ignorant in, if there is one.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Mental illnesses frequently manifest or become more severe in a person's mid-twenties, so this is completely meaningless. You're ignorant, go post in a thread about a subject you aren't ignorant in, if there is one.

Funny, so does adulthood and responsibilities. To continue on with my terrible, inexcusable ignorance, would you propose that the same focus and clarity of mind Benny sorely lacks due to his mental illness only manifest when he's expected to do things like look for a job and then suddenly regress when it's time to write another in depth movie of the month OP in CD or all the writing he does for The Reptile Reviewer, writing in depth reviews for comics and film and other such errata?

Arguments I'm uninterested in aside I intend to stick to my guns of "telling an unmotivated person that does nothing it's okay to do nothing is the opposite of helping" but I'm ignorant so Benny you've got the goon approval for another 6 months of nothing, enjoy it, sooner or later life won't give you that choice.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 16, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Dr. Lariat posted:

Funny, so does adulthood and responsibilities. To continue on with my terrible, inexcusable ignorance, would you propose that the same focus and clarity of mind Benny sorely lacks due to his mental illness only manifest when he's expected to do things like look for a job and then suddenly regress when it's time to write another in depth movie of the month OP in CD or all the writing he does for The Reptile Reviewer, writing in depth reviews for comics and film and other such errata?

Arguments I'm uninterested in aside I intend to stick to my guns of "telling an unmotivated person that does nothing it's okay to do nothing is the opposite of helping" but I'm ignorant so Benny you've got the goon approval for another 6 months of nothing, enjoy it, sooner or later life won't give you that choice.

Man that is not what errata means and I called Benny out on it too.

Benny's done a lot in the past year. It's just that none of it has been successful. Goons aren't telling him "never do anything hard," they're saying "since the hard poo poo kicks your rear end so badly, focus on the easy poo poo first so you at least have a good foundation."

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Sigma-X posted:

Benny's done a lot in the past year. It's just that none of it has been successful. Goons aren't telling him "never do anything hard," they're saying "since the hard poo poo kicks your rear end so badly, focus on the easy poo poo first so you at least have a good foundation."

I know, that's why I used that specific word, callbacks!

Although I do not disagree with your post, it is not how I've perceiving the tone of the thread, could just be me though. I've been watching this thread so long it's hard not to drop in once a week, see the same as last week and decide, this well looks ripe for another piss.

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah. I think trying to improve EVERYTHING AT ONCE is just setting up for failure. Even my therapist said one or two things at a time. Build habits, not do something like 'scads of frantic self improvement, then give up when you can't keep up the zealous energy'.

If he has to start at attending therapy and taking medications daily, that's where he starts. That's all. He'll get there.

• Locked thread