Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Talos II
- Fires Large Laser at Enfield (4 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference +1 partial cover = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Enfield (4 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 1 enemy movement + 1 EM Interference +1 partial cover = 11): rolled 11, 4 missiles hit Center Torso (15/26 armor remains), Right Torso (18/20 armor remains), Right Arm (14/16 armor remains), Left Leg (22/24 armor remains)!
- Gains 12 weapon heat

Shouldn't that left leg hit be blocked by terrain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....
I'm all kinds of unsure what the firebee should do... I can hope to unload on the Toro, the Plainsman, or the Quasit next turn. I won't have great rolls for any of them.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tiny posted:

I'm all kinds of unsure what the firebee should do... I can hope to unload on the Toro, the Plainsman, or the Quasit next turn. I won't have great rolls for any of them.

Looks like you can get 7s on the Toro without incurring much risk, no?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DarthXaos posted:

I thought I fired everything at the Bobcat not the Hunter?

You did, that's a typo.

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

The Merry Marauder posted:

Looks like you can get 7s on the Toro without incurring much risk, no?

I have too much heat to walk to 1114 to be in partial cover/ hidden from the others. Right? And not enough MP to run and get behind him (while still turning to be able to fire a backshot).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Welp, the Huron Warrior definitely took a big hit in the back there due to a lucky shot from Jeb Stuart and his Rommel tank's big gun... Apparently if that shot had hit anywhere besides the Center Torso, the mech in question would've been down a limb if not outright disabled due to side torso engine damage? So both lucky and unlucky at the same time... Better make sure not to present your rear armor to anyone again...

Enemy flanking maneuvers are definitely getting tricky, although the clustering of the DNS Militia pair at Impact Point Zero makes it easier for the two of them to watch each others backs, like I assume they are intending. Now if only they could actually hit an enemy with one of their big guns...

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tiny posted:

I have too much heat to walk to 1114 to be in partial cover/ hidden from the others. Right? And not enough MP to run and get behind him (while still turning to be able to fire a backshot).

Well, you couldn't walk to 1114 in any event, since you'd have to turn and it would cost 6. And I don't think you're suffering an MP reduction for heat anyway. But you can walk to 1213 - the Quasit's going to have better targets than you, I expect (he'd need 9s), if that's your concern.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The reason for the SRM2 launchers becomes clear.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Chronojam posted:

The reason for the SRM2 launchers becomes clear.

That reason is "because they're really cheap." That was part of the stated design goal for every Taurian `Mech:

"Tough, Slow, Cheap."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I do note that since you have more than three, you're now subject to :ghost:

Judicator65
Feb 4, 2012
I see you corrected the combat result, don't forget to take the damage off the leg in the player image part (if you haven't already in your master copy).

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Rommel tanks are just so much better if you're not in an overall campaign, especially on a narrow map like this without a clear front.
Oh hey, we're almost at page 1000!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 12, 2013

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So, one thing. Is 'hove' a word? Cause if it is that is awesome and I need to use it more. And on the Yantai Reservation map, I can't quite make out what the mech is that is buried in the crashed dropship remains. What's it the wreck of, just out of curiosity?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Shoeless posted:

So, one thing. Is 'hove' a word?

Past tense of 'heave' in nautical usage. The phrase 'hove into view' or 'hove into sight' refers to a vessel becoming visible over the horizon.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
The Yantai reservation mechs are pretty much the opposite of 'slow', though they're definitely cheap and kind of tough.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Readingaccount posted:

The Yantai reservation mechs are pretty much the opposite of 'slow', though they're definitely cheap and kind of tough.

The Cicada was a player pick (and the Phoenix is an RWR design), all of the others are at best 5/8

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

That reason is "because they're really cheap." That was part of the stated design goal for every Taurian `Mech:

"Tough, Slow, Cheap."

Easy to maintain.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
5/8 isn't exactly slow for mediums though, really. I mean yeah you have your Phoenix Hawks and whatnot but I've always thought for a medium, 5/8 is pretty average, especially if you lack XL engines.

SoylentG
Apr 5, 2011
Well, if we're thinking that "Everything on the mech is a resource to be exploited, including armor" then it's actually a stroke of luck that you soaked those boxcars on a location that A ) could absorb the hit, and B ) can be protected pretty easily if you pay attention to facing, considering that you'll always win initiative. Of course, now that two of of Delta's mechs have open backs, I suggest including "If I can't make it to hex whatever, I want to end my turn facing whichever no matter what" in the contingency orders.

Also, super impressed with the Enfield's LB-10X. Hopefully it'll be as accurate once the OpFor has some open internals to aim for.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
It was accurate for the Rifleman, but had bad luck with the crits mattering.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 13, 2013

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm sure the Rifleman is deeply consoled to know that a few dice rolls the other way could have seen it die even faster.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Riflemen are known for two things: being a toy in robotech and dying. don't hate a player hate the game dawg.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Axe-man posted:

Riflemen are known for two things: being a toy in robotech and dying. don't hate a player hate the game dawg.

I know what my next project is.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Axe-man posted:

Three things: Also for seeming kind of cool in Warrior: Engarde with the arm flip move until later in the very same book when you realize that a plan that involves letting your enemy get behind you is a lovely idea when you have toilet paper and paint for your rear armor.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
*grumble* it also had bad luck with the more important hits. I think the Rifleman would on average in this situation last another half round.
... what? Everything helps!

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010

Axe-man posted:

Hey the player Rifleman during the mexican mercs mission lived long enough to use all of its ammo.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Chaos341 posted:

Hey the player Rifleman during the mexican mercs mission lived long enough to use all of its ammo.

Don't forget Hastur's amazing performance.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Scintilla posted:

Don't forget Hastur's amazing performance.

Yes indeed, though didn't he have a ridiculously good pilot trait as well?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

3025 Rifleman : Rifleman IIC :: Monitor : Bismarck

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Trundel posted:

It also wasn't a Rifleman. It was a Rifleman IIC, which is hilariously better than a Inner Sphere Rifleman. They aren't full of explosive ammo, for one.

e: I shouldn't leave my reply box open so long.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

fool_of_sound posted:

It also wasn't a Rifleman. It was a Rifleman IIC, which is hilariously better than a Inner Sphere Rifleman. They aren't full of explosive ammo, for one.

e: I shouldn't leave my reply box open so long.

Fair enough. I don't have much experience with Battletech outside the Mechwarrior video games, and the Rifleman in Mektek's Mech Pack seemed pretty good. :shobon:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Scintilla posted:

Fair enough. I don't have much experience with Battletech outside the Mechwarrior video games, and the Rifleman in Mektek's Mech Pack seemed pretty good. :shobon:

The Inner Sphere version of the Rifleman carries too many weapons, including a pair of not-particularly-good-for-the-tonnage Autocannons. To pull this off, it gives up on armor and heat sinks, meaning it's easy to kill and can't even use all of its weapons. This one was a slightly less suicidal variant, but it was still poorly armored. The Rifleman IIC is the Pimp My Ride dream makeover version. It's bigger, better, and stuffed to the gills with the finest of Clan bullshit with a sleekly optimized purity of purpose that is everything the IS variants fail to be.

Hastur was great, but the Rifelman IIC is a mech that will make you no friends at the hobby table.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
To be fair, like most mechs meant for niche duties (urban combat, anti air, artillery, etc.) the Rifleman is darn good in its element, in this case as an AA platform. Since it takes even conventional fighters a round or two to turn around for another pass after a strafing run, the Rifleman can alpha it when it's close, then cool down for a turn or so. The lack of armor is still an issue, but... okay I got nothing on that front. They really should have downgraded the AC/5s to 2s to save weight and give it more shots and range, and then upped the armor. But yeah, it's good at what it's meant to do. A Demolisher is pretty poo poo on an open battlefield with little to no cover, but if you meet it after a blind turn in a city, you're pretty screwed.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Trundel posted:

Those traits were the amazingest, but he was also piloting an IIC~

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 14, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Voyager I posted:

Hastur was great, but the Rifelman IIC is a mech that will make you no friends at the hobby table.

The Rifleman IIc is like the Hellstar. They're mechs you give your seven year old cousin, but eventually you're supposed to outgrow it.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Break an arm and it's an overpriced moderate threat.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 14, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's amazing what a difference you can make by trading the AC/5s for Light AC/5s.

A RFL-7N may turn up soon.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 14, 2013

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's amazing what a difference you can make by trading the AC/5s for Light AC/5s.

LACs are great. Prex is great. Combine the two and you have a truly wonderful experience.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Shoeless posted:

To be fair, like most mechs meant for niche duties (urban combat, anti air, artillery, etc.) the Rifleman is darn good in its element, in this case as an AA platform. Since it takes even conventional fighters a round or two to turn around for another pass after a strafing run, the Rifleman can alpha it when it's close, then cool down for a turn or so. The lack of armor is still an issue, but... okay I got nothing on that front. They really should have downgraded the AC/5s to 2s to save weight and give it more shots and range, and then upped the armor. But yeah, it's good at what it's meant to do. A Demolisher is pretty poo poo on an open battlefield with little to no cover, but if you meet it after a blind turn in a city, you're pretty screwed.

I was thinking maybe it'd be a good thing for some units like the Rifleman to be a 3/5/3 or even just a 3/5 mover considering their intended combat role, using the freed mass for extra armor or heat sinks, maybe even an extra ton of ammo so they can lean on that harder while the lasers cool off.

edit: this is assuming that they're limited to Succession Wars tech, I mean.

Holybat fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Holybat posted:

I was thinking maybe it'd be a good thing for some units like the Rifleman to be a 3/5/3 or even just a 3/5 mover considering their intended combat role, using the freed mass for extra armor or heat sinks, maybe even an extra ton of ammo so they can lean on that harder while the lasers cool off.

edit: this is assuming that they're limited to Succession Wars tech, I mean.

Yeah, that'd work too. But then people will complain that it's not crippled enough and that mechs are so cool because of their flaws etc etc and apparently there's no middle ground between being a Jagermech/Rifleman and being a Hellstar with some people.

• Locked thread