Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

No like "no one wants to talk about computers or work" so it usually ends up with me talking aloud or drawing idea's down or browsing something computer or cartoon related stuff. I mean I'll make small talk and be sociable but you can only small talk before so long were it's like can we please get back to talking about technology?

The guys in my office are always trying to get together after work, but yea, absolutely nothing to talk about with them. It's terrible, and then I get "flak" for not going. Cool dudes to work with, but I don't want to spend even more of my time with them. They're all sports and own houses and have kids. Young, single, heavy gamer. Zero common ground unless we're talking current events or politics.

Baby Town Frolics
Mar 21, 2008

It's like we've got each other's backs.
A ticket was called in by me to facilities. Both toilets are overflowing because idiots can't properly use a toilet.

We have a building of over 100 people, mostly men with only two stalls and a urinal for the men. There is always piss water on the floor.

Times like this I want to investigate who keeps doing this and kick their asses.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've been to the last two Xmas parties for this place and both times the music was turned up so loud I could neither hear anyone, nor make myself heard. I have some sort of audio processing problem that makes it hard for me to pick out voices from loud background noise, and one side of my vocal cords is partially paralyzed so I have difficulty raising my voice in loud environments.

I usually wind up sitting somewhere away from the speakers, messing with my phone. Also this is a drinking crowd and I don't enjoy being around people when they're shnockered. That in a nutshell is why I hate parties.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Is there simple program that as support you can use to capture the environment of a users desktop? Something that get's running processes, ram and cpu usage, and does some pinging and tracerouting, then emails the data back to you? I'm asking because we've got unmanaged winx machines owned by our sales reps, and the underperformers are complaining it's because the order entry program keeps 'freezing' up and they have to 'reboot'. Oddly no internal users of the order entry program have this issue :) It would be nice to have them just run this program when they have the 'freeze' (whatever that may mean) on the off chance there is actually a problem.

I don't mean to be that snarky about the users, but of the 150 people using the order entry program every day, only a vocal 15-20 have any issues at all, and when someone shadows their session, then never have the problem that 'happens all the time'.

I seem to remember a program that fed this data back, but can't remember what it was.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

AlexDeGruven posted:

Seriously. That poo poo needs a hazmat team.
It's been my sharpest sword in the war against personal office printers for every user who gets tired of walking 20 feet. That and disallowing personal-office printer toner being given to anyone - that's for shared equipment only, you get billed for your luxuries. :D

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

porktree posted:

[...]

If they're using Windows 7 (or 8 - I don't know since I've never used it), if you open the start menu, type in "Record steps", the first option "Record steps to reproduce a problem" will do exactly what you're looking for.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Dick Trauma posted:

I've been to the last two Xmas parties for this place and both times the music was turned up so loud I could neither hear anyone, nor make myself heard. I have some sort of audio processing problem that makes it hard for me to pick out voices from loud background noise

I have a massive problem with continuously loud noises. Clubs, and most bars, are out for me because of it. I'll end up freaking out and non-responsive.

My last company's Christmas party last year was at a resto-bar-club type joint. I didn't know what to expect since I had never been to the place before. First thing I was greeted to was a wall of sound.

Yeah, nothing like feeling awkward at a party.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

nexxai posted:

If they're using Windows 7 (or 8 - I don't know since I've never used it), if you open the start menu, type in "Record steps", the first option "Record steps to reproduce a problem" will do exactly what you're looking for.
That's interesting - but it has two issues, they'd need to do it in advance of the 'freeze', and it doesn't let me do tracert's or pings back. I'm looking for a loooowwwww user interaction, pretty much 'press button' and go on. Thanks though, this will be added to my toolkit.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

A customer is repeatedly emailing us, finally asking if we would correct their issue for them. I drafted a reply and sent it to a coworker with "Wanted to get your opinion on a reply:" at the top. After it was agreed on, I copy and pasted it into an email to the customer and rest of the team, with "wanted to get your opinion on a reply:" proudly still at the top.

Fridays.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Baby Town Frolics posted:

A ticket was called in by me to facilities. Both toilets are overflowing because idiots can't properly use a toilet.

We have a building of over 100 people, mostly men with only two stalls and a urinal for the men. There is always piss water on the floor.

Times like this I want to investigate who keeps doing this and kick their asses.

Are these the same people who can't walk up 1 flight of stairs?

Sab669 posted:

The guys in my office are always trying to get together after work, but yea, absolutely nothing to talk about with them. It's terrible, and then I get "flak" for not going. Cool dudes to work with, but I don't want to spend even more of my time with them. They're all sports and own houses and have kids. Young, single, heavy gamer. Zero common ground unless we're talking current events or politics.

The bad part comes in where I get bored and sit at a table drinking talking aloud about design idea's or just BS brainstorming.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 13, 2013

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I think I mentioned it in the old thread:

At my old job I sent an email without an attachment like, three times to a group of 20+ people, all who made significantly more than I did.

Fridays.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
Huh.. weird situation has come up and my google fu is failing me

I have a user who is connecting to a VPN then accessing shared folders on the VPN'd server. When they try to access a network share by a NET USE or NET VIEW command they get an error that access is denied. If you try to manually browse to the address by going \\SERVERIP it says the path doesn't exist. The server pings without a problem. I had the issue originally a few weeks ago and after a couple hours of testing I found the solution. There was a registry key:

HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HWOrder with the Provider Order string listed like this: RDPNP,,,,LanmanWorkstation,webclient

I played around with the key a bit, set it to: RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient and I was able to access shared folders without an issue. Today the customer is having the same issue, check the registry settings and the extra commas are back. I checked the event log and nothing is jumping out at me and the customer claims he hasn't installed any new programs or made any changes. I gave his installed programs a quick look I don't see anything new installed. AV scans have been run and come up clean. Part of the issue is this user is offsite and uses a BYOD notebook for work. This is a different client than I normally support and is standard procedure for them.

Any thoughts at all?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
A customer complained today that when they're having trouble, they shouldn't have to email us.

I'd say TGIF, but I'm probably going to have to work over the weekend too.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

blackswordca posted:

Huh.. weird situation has come up and my google fu is failing me

I have a user who is connecting to a VPN then accessing shared folders on the VPN'd server. When they try to access a network share by a NET USE or NET VIEW command they get an error that access is denied. If you try to manually browse to the address by going \\SERVERIP it says the path doesn't exist. The server pings without a problem.

If you find a solution, please let me know. We just moved over to a new VPN client and we've seen some clients with this issue. it's driving me nuts thinking that it's some sort of bizarre DNS issue.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

blackswordca posted:

[...]

Run procmon and find out what's changing that key? You can set it to enable boot logging in case it's a startup script or something.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nexxai posted:

If they're using Windows 7 (or 8 - I don't know since I've never used it), if you open the start menu, type in "Record steps", the first option "Record steps to reproduce a problem" will do exactly what you're looking for.

Problem Steps Recorder (PSR) is a pretty handy little tool. I've been using it lately to do rough drafts for documentation.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Problem Steps Recorder (PSR) is a pretty handy little tool. I've been using it lately to do rough drafts for documentation.

Indeed. I'm curious if there's a good editor for these though. Occasionally, it doesn't put very good descriptions on some things (like if you're clicking on something running in WinXP mode) and I'd like to change the text, or sometimes just add additional comments. I've manually changed a few, but it can be a bit time consuming. One of these days when I have some time (and actually remember to do so), I'll have to Google a bit and see what comes up.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

blackswordca posted:

[...]

Something is changing the key, maybe the VPN software if there is any. That key is the order of network clients that windows will try to use when accessing network resources, LanmanWorkstation is the windows native client and what's usually used to connect to windows file servers. Try leaving the commas in but putting LanmanWorkstation and webclient in front of them.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
rly bish...

From: derpina@globexcorporation.com>
Date: 09/13/2013 11:14 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: drukqs@globexcorporation.com>

I tried all kinds of things and was not able to do so. Can you help me when you get time.
Thanks

-----------

Got in and there was no trace of this phantom email anywhere. She hadn't sent any emails other than the one to me this morning at 8am, she hadn't received any...

this is a woman who regularly unscrews her case and flops the lid on its side, major loving Munchausen syndrome.

Also the natives are ALL complaining about bizarre computer maladies and slowdown issues trying to angle for new computers. They noticed that three different engineers were given new machines and they want their due. I just have to remind myself that its' not my money.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 14, 2013

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

porktree posted:

That's interesting - but it has two issues, they'd need to do it in advance of the 'freeze', and it doesn't let me do tracert's or pings back. I'm looking for a loooowwwww user interaction, pretty much 'press button' and go on. Thanks though, this will be added to my toolkit.

Whocrashed? Is that the app you want?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

blackswordca posted:

[...]

I agree with the others, it could very well be the VPN software screwing this up. Maybe the entry doesn't get removed cleanly if they don't exit the program properly? I could imagine sleep mode would mess it up.

We used some VPN software that unknown to me was adding in a host entry for one of our internal sites so that it took a specific path. So when we changed that server's IP address it caused a bunch of connection problems for remote users until I escalated it with my manager, who then shared that feature with me.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Are these the same people who can't walk up 1 flight of stairs?

The bad part comes in where I get bored and sit at a table drinking talking aloud about design idea's or just BS brainstorming.

This is why I carry a yoropen and pad of postits. Mumbling about design BS suddenly becomes "cool" if you show your friends what you mean, especially if it's an 8 string electric bass SG with a carved top that looks like a black widow.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

porktree posted:

[...]

Sysinfo can give you a lot of local pc info. Couple it with a batch to save ping and tracerts to a file and you're done.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Things pissing me off. The familiy cabin where we used to go to get away during the summer to de-stress has most likely been wiped off the map by the recent Colorado flooding. I say most likely because it will probably be months before it is reachable. The main highways to it are gone, and there are 5 bridges to cross to get to it that are almost definitely gone.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Verizian posted:

an 8 string electric bass SG with a carved top that looks like a black widow.

You forget the 10 commandments of bass. Thou shalt not have more than 5 strings. The 5th string is pushing it. The 6th string is right out. Basses have no need for an upper register.

:colbert:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'd think an 8-string would be a double 4-string, like a 12-string for the low end.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
:911: Obama: Health Care Organizations must be on an EHR, we'll offer some paltry compensation if you install it early! Suffer insurance reimbursement loss if you don't.

..:montage of an EHR install, two years pass:..

*sounds of lots of small healthcare organizations dying and screaming*
:clint: CFO: Yeah meaningful use! Let's buy all these struggling healthcare organizations with good patient care statistics to boost our ratios. Besides if we don't do that we'll be bought out anyway.
:dukedog: Bossman: Ok lets talk. Wait, you already bought the company? We only have a month?
:byodood: Me: Ok let's do some invenTORYOHMYGOD. *Piles of wires everywhere, red lights on tons of hard drives, no IT staff, "servers" from the 90s or early turn of the century, no support contracts on anything, no one knows what anything is because someone's kid installed it 8 years ago*
:byodood: Me : *glues a bunch of stuff together as best as possible with the intention of fixing it later when there is more time but....*

...that cycle half a dozen times...

HELP.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 15, 2013

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

"servers" from the 90s or early turn of the century,

What does a "server" from 1903 look like anyway?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

thelightguy posted:

What does a "server" from 1903 look like anyway?

I bet it's steam powered!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

thelightguy posted:

What does a "server" from 1903 look like anyway?

Errrr, turn of the century happened 13 years ago guys.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

rolleyes posted:

Errrr, turn of the century happened 13 years ago guys.

But in common usage it still refers to 1900. "The new millennium" is more commonly used for the 2000s.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

rolleyes posted:

Errrr, turn of the century happened 13 years ago guys.

True, but steam powered computers seem pretty rad.
Ticket 299321: Our datacenter's boiler was running over-capacity exploded. Many lives were lost, I alone escaped because this stupid oversized mechanical pocket watch protected my body from flying shrapnel. Please send a technician.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Ticket 299321: Our datacenter's boiler was running over-capacity exploded. Many lives were lost, I alone escaped because this stupid oversized mechanical pocket watch protected my body from flying shrapnel. Please send a technician.

Replye: Are you sure it was over-capacity and not actually attacked by grenadiers? Did you install the grenadier-proofing plates in the last update? Can you attempt to restart the boiler after you install the plate update?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

thelightguy posted:

What does a "server" from 1903 look like anyway?

Maybe something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRgdaknJCg

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

:911: Obama: Health Care Organizations must be on an EHR, we'll offer some paltry compensation if you install it early! Suffer insurance reimbursement loss if you don't.

..:montage of an EHR install, two years pass:..

Meanwhile, at the EHR vendor...
:20bux: :homebrew: :20bux:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Our EHR system rollout was hilarious and poo poo is still breaking.

It's like the gear all gets together at night when the nurses aren't looking and go through fads together. First it was Citrix being terrible (it still is, gently caress Citrix), then it was the thin client carts that decide to bluescreen and lose wifi connection randomly, now it's the label printers.

Now I have to track down every label printer in the place and update the firmware. I could push it out through the network but if a power surge comes within the 2 minute window of me doing that, I lose every label printer in the hospital for good because there is no way to recover from a botched firmware flashing.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

RadicalR posted:

I bet it's steam powered!

Surely Gaben would've only lived to 1902!

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Update on that Red Hat 2.1 Box from a while back

:v: "Yeah dilbert the P2V didn't work"
:) "did you cold clone it like I said"
:v: "No I used the latest one which is hot only, failed with some odd error when I tried to bring it up"
:) yeah it's running a DB service which is why I said to cold clone
:v: I am going to send a ticket off to vmware instead

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Update on that Red Hat 2.1 Box from a while back

:v: "Yeah dilbert the P2V didn't work"
:) "did you cold clone it like I said"
:v: "No I used the latest one which is hot only, failed with some odd error when I tried to bring it up"
:) yeah it's running a DB service which is why I said to cold clone
:v: I am going to send a ticket off to vmware instead

DON'T DO ANYTHING THAT CAUSES DOWNTIME EVER

We've been working on moving a lot of our QA stuff to another datacenter, but the higher-ups all insisted that QA still had to be operational throughout rather than just not doing a release for a week. Combine this with the fact that basically all of the QA environment, plus the development environment, existed until the start of last week on a severely-overloaded SATA volume on an underpowered NetApp filer, and it was a recipe for disaster. I spent most of my week nurturing VMware through about 200 storage VMotions, both from the old SATA volume onto a new SAS volume (the stress of which caused the filer to stall completely for up to 5 minutes at a time), and then VMotioning large chunks of the QA environment to the other datacenter.

My co-worker analogized the whole process to moving across the country, but insisting on moving the house itself, insisting on living in the house while it's moving, complaining about how the move is really slow, and blaming the truck driver when he hits a bump in the road and all your dishes go flying. Mercifully, it's almost done.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

chutwig posted:

My co-worker analogized the whole process to moving across the country, but insisting on moving the house itself, insisting on living in the house while it's moving, complaining about how the move is really slow, and blaming the truck driver when he hits a bump in the road and all your dishes go flying. Mercifully, it's almost done.

This is shockingly apt

  • Locked thread