Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

jeffersonlives posted:

My favorite WCW moment, which somewhat relates to the Blood Runs Cold/Glacier stuff, was when they repackaged Adam Bomb/Wrath out of the Blood Runs Cold angle into an athletic big guy role and had him rip off about a four month winning streak squashing the jobber and jobber to the star crew on television, ostensibly prepping him to be a real, homegrown challenger to Goldberg. So of course since this was WCW, as soon as Wrath started getting over, Kevin Nash casually beat him with the power bomb in 4 minutes on his way to ending Goldberg's streak at Starrcade.

I remember that match and even as a 16-year-old supermark I got pissed that Wrath got beat so easily and his streak ended like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

The most elaborate build-up to a lovely Nash powerbomb ever.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I was 13 and a huge Wolfpac mark in 1998, and even I was pissed with the way Goldberg's streak ended.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I was 13 and a huge Wolfpac mark in 1998, and even I was pissed with the way Goldberg's streak ended.

Didn't he get tased by Hall? I think I remember borrowing my friend's black box decoder to watch that PPV.

edit: Hah, Goldberg claims he wanted them to use the taser that fires a probe and not the cattle prod kind:

quote:

On The Streak's End: "I'm upset because they wouldn't let Scott Hall hit me with the (Taser) with the barbs in it. Because that's what I want. I figured if I'm going down, I want you to stick me for real. But, it is what it is. A few weeks after Kevin Nash was put on the booking committee, Kevin Nash gets to beat me first. But hey, it is what it is."

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 13, 2013

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Bard Maddox posted:

How do you not know who Glacier is?!

Almost as bad as doubting El Dandy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

haljordan posted:

Didn't he get tased by Hall? I think I remember borrowing my friend's black box decoder to watch that PPV.

Yeah, and I believe Disco Inferno got involved too.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Yeah, Hall came out with a cattle prod. I didn't watch it on PPV, but I remember the Nitro the night after (Which aired on on the Wednesday after here in Canada, really).

The other thing that really stands out during those couple months was the reunited nWo jumping Flair in this big field and kicking the poo poo out of him while police helicopters filmed it. I only saw replays of the infamous fingerpoke of doom. Things really went downhill fast.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Zack_Gochuck posted:

The other thing that really stands out during those couple months was the reunited nWo jumping Flair in this big field and kicking the poo poo out of him while police helicopters filmed it.

Was that the one where Bret Hart buried him in the desert?

Someone got buried in the desert anyway... at some point

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

triplexpac posted:

The Filthy Animals (you know the not at all racist name for the group of Mexicans and Billy Kidman) buried Ric Flair in the desert and left him for dead.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Ric Flair was left to die by the Filthy Animals.

Goldberg was going to bury Vince Russo in the desert when he was saved by Bret Hart who says "YOU ENDED MY CAREER, NOW I'M GONNA END YOURS" as he clobbers Goldberg with a shovel.

The show abruptly ends right there and Bret Hart is never seen again

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

Goldberg was going to bury Vince Russo in the desert when he was saved by Bret Hart who says "YOU ENDED MY CAREER, NOW I'M GONNA END YOURS" as he clobbers Goldberg with a shovel.

The show abruptly ends right there and Bret Hart is never seen again

That's the one I'm thinking of!

Why is it we can remember all this stuff, but WWE from like 2005-2010 is just a blur of nothing?

At least that's how it is for me! haha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My favorite WCW memory of all time was when Flair was abandoned out in the woods somewhere for some reason, but by a stroke of luck a trucker who happened to have a WCW cameraman with a live feed back to Monday Nitro in his cab with him spotted him and rescued him.

What a coincidence!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
One of my favorite moments is when Goldberg was arrested for "assaulting" Ms. Elizabeth and taken to the police station across the street. It then took him over an hour to get back to the arena after he was released.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

It was aggravated stalking. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

One of my favorite moments is when Goldberg was arrested for "assaulting" Ms. Elizabeth and taken to the police station across the street. It then took him over an hour to get back to the arena after he was released.

I loved that even though it was a setup, Goldberg was still written to act like a hugely entitled rear end in a top hat about the whole thing. Had it been a real situation, you could see the police thinking,"Oh yeah that guy is guilty as gently caress."

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

I absolutely hated everything about it at the time, mostly because of what it led to. As someone who had been a WCW sympathizer/supporter/defender throughout '98, that entire Nitro combined with Foley on Raw was close to the last straw for me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

bobkatt013 posted:

Originally it was supposed to be attempted rape, but Goldberg wisely said "gently caress no". There's also the fact that earlier in the show it was obvious through camera angles used that the police station was directly across the street from the venue, making the hour that it took for him to get back even more absurd.

bartok
May 10, 2006

So what was the thinking of Kevin Nash being the one to unmask Rey Mysterio Jr.? I know it killed his popularity in the States but what about Mexico? I get Juventud Guerrera putting up his mask for a shot at Chris Jericho's cruiserweight title. The Nash/Mysterio feud just seemed like punishment for Rey showing up the main eventers or Nash trying to piggyback on his popularity.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Jerusalem posted:

My favorite WCW memory of all time was when Flair was abandoned out in the woods somewhere for some reason, but by a stroke of luck a trucker who happened to have a WCW cameraman with a live feed back to Monday Nitro in his cab with him spotted him and rescued him.

What a coincidence!

And then the announcers were all GOSH WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO FLAIR when he stumbled out with a shovel as a crutch or something similar.

Proving that not even WCW announcers were watching their product.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jerusalem posted:

What a coincidence!

The story goes is that Flair was storyline president of the company at the time(a cluster gently caress storyline in itself) and he was making Bischoff do embarrassing things like being a janitor, carrying luggage, etc. On this night Bischoff was Flair's limo driver and Bischoff hating his new job decided to lead Flair into an ambush.

The ambush being, a group of masked men taking Flair to an open, deserted field and beating him up. They did and they unmasked immediately afterwards and it was the NWO all along(killed any "Who could it have been???" storylines). They left him lying in an open field. The funny parts here are that they left a camera man here to film Flair laying around throughout the show. Nether the camera man or his friends, that were in the limo with him, called for help.

The best part??? They hired a camera man to fly over in a helicopter to film the segment as well.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

whatsabattle posted:

And then the announcers were all GOSH WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO FLAIR when he stumbled out with a shovel as a crutch or something similar.

Proving that not even WCW announcers were watching their product.

Actually, if Death of WCW is accurate on this point, the announcers were supposed to act like they couldn't see the taped segments. So, Heenan asks if Flair is drunk when he comes stumbling in.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Kwik posted:

Actually, if Death of WCW is accurate on this point, the announcers were supposed to act like they couldn't see the taped segments. So, Heenan asks if Flair is drunk when he comes stumbling in.

This is almost as bizarre as Warrior's oddly specific power of being able to appear in a mirror in a vision that only Eric Bischoff can't see.

He doesn't get to use it often!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kwik posted:

Are you sure they didn't mean the crowd couldn't? The announcers had monitors.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

MassRafTer posted:

Are you sure they didn't mean the crowd couldn't? The announcers had monitors.

They did, but they were supposed to act like they didn't. The announcers, who were payed to be there, were supposed to act like they didn't know what was going on. The live crowds, who paid to be there, didn't have video, so they didn't know what was going on, and the only people who got the whole story, convoluted and ridiculous as it may have been a lot of the time, were the people watching at home, who didn't pay a dime.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jerusalem posted:

This is almost as bizarre as Warrior's oddly specific power of being able to appear in a mirror in a vision that only Eric Bischoff can't see.

At certain times, being invisible to Eric Bischoff could be a career asset.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
Pretty sure Lanny Poffo had that power.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Track down his Memphis angle where he loses a non-title match to Jerry Lawler, and claims afterwards the only reason Lawler wins is because he's a great puncher (which is a great way of being a heel while also putting Jerry over), so he proposes Lawler's AWA title match have a stip: For every punch Lawler uses, he'll be charged $500. Actually, gently caress it, here it is, because I am a kind and giving man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsHSzMIcLU Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoVjxavJS0 Part 3
I forgot to thank you for this.

How :doh: smarky would it be to carry a "Jerry Lawler is a humanoid" sign to Raw?

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Halloween Jack posted:

How :doh: smarky would it be to carry a "Jerry Lawler is a humanoid" sign to Raw?

It'd definitely be one of the more esoteric signs in the audience. :)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I forgot to thank you for this.

He'd probably get a kick out of NICK BOCKWINKEL FEARS JERRY LAWLER.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

nasboat posted:

I absolutely hated everything about it at the time, mostly because of what it led to. As someone who had been a WCW sympathizer/supporter/defender throughout '98, that entire Nitro combined with Foley on Raw was close to the last straw for me.

I'm pretty sure if you cocked one ear to the wind that night you would have heard the sound of hundreds of thousands of people changing the channel at once.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
About six hundred thousand people, if memory serves.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
Seriously all WCW had to do that night, to keep their fans happy, was to have Goldberg & Nash have their rematch with Goldberg winning the belt back. That's it. No bullshit or screwy finishes. Clean. In the middle of the ring.

Of course, this being WCW that was never, ever going to happen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

Seriously all WCW had to do that night, to keep their fans happy, was to have Goldberg & Nash have their rematch with Goldberg winning the belt back. That's it. No bullshit or screwy finishes. Clean. In the middle of the ring.

Of course, this being WCW that was never, ever going to happen.

That would have been a really bad idea too.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRafTer posted:

That would have been a really bad idea too.

Okay maybe not clean and so decisive but they did bait and switch the fans big time with the main event.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

Okay maybe not clean and so decisive but they did bait and switch the fans big time with the main event.

A better idea would be not to tease that match at all and do something else with Goldberg. WCW needed less panic booking, not more.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

MassRafTer posted:

A better idea would be not to tease that match at all and do something else with Goldberg. WCW needed less panic booking, not more.

And less NWO run-ins.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ColeM posted:

less NWO

Somewhere in Florida, Eric Bischoff just cocked his head to the side and made a small whining noise like a confused puppy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bigass Moth posted:

The Filthy Animals (you know the not at all racist name for the group of Mexicans and Billy Kidman) buried Ric Flair in the desert and left him for dead.

Stole his watch, too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

coconono posted:

Stole his watch, too.
Let's be clear, here. That was the bank's watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

Let's be clear, here. That was the bank's watch.

Instead of being an ad man for that loan website, Ric Flair should've opened a pawn shop online or something for all the stuff he sells.