Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

frozentreasure posted:

Why has no one brought up the possibility that his Hope power is just going to return her to regular Jade? That's the first thing I thought would happen.

Not that Hussie shies away from anticlimaxes, but the de-Grimbarkening of Jade (and likewise, the de-mindcontrolling of Jane) demands something a little more character arc-y to happen first, otherwise this whole turn for their characters won't really matter much. Part of it is probably Jade and Jane saying things they'd never admit in their normal state, jump-starting some drama when they're back to normal. Throw in some terrible acts they can feel bad about later (I was sure the Mayor was going to get lava-dunked just so that Jade and Dave would be at odds) and find a way to make their return to normal rely on some dramatic character development and voila, instant arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dolash posted:

Not that Hussie shies away from anticlimaxes, but the de-Grimbarkening of Jade (and likewise, the de-mindcontrolling of Jane) demands something a little more character arc-y to happen first, otherwise this whole turn for their characters won't really matter much. Part of it is probably Jade and Jane saying things they'd never admit in their normal state, jump-starting some drama when they're back to normal. Throw in some terrible acts they can feel bad about later (I was sure the Mayor was going to get lava-dunked just so that Jade and Dave would be at odds) and find a way to make their return to normal rely on some dramatic character development and voila, instant arc.

Well, if they were to flip back over right now, Jane would have to face the horrendous things she did to Jake, except now he's suddenly less, well, brain damaged. Assuming he ever gets done powering up.

Jade's already put herself at odds with Dave after the entire Mayor matter, so that would force the two of them to work that out, though maybe not, Dave's still pretty quick to dodge matters and Jade's at fault for the situation (sort of).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rooreelooo posted:

ok that's cool and all... what does it have to do with a superpowered teenage kid in his underwear charging up a dragonball z themed ball of hope so he can nuke an evil brainwashed space furry in a wizard of oz dress?

I dunno. What does a catchphrase from an old variety show, that was most famously said by Literally Richard Nixon, have to do with anything either?

e. also I declare "Literally Nixon" to be the next "Literally Hitler"

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Seoinin posted:

I dunno. What does a catchphrase from an old variety show, that was most famously said by Literally Richard Nixon, have to do with anything either?

e. also I declare "Literally Nixon" to be the next "Literally Hitler"

"Literally Reagan" would be a much closer comparison. Nixon at least opened diplomatic relations with China.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
The real question is how does the new update change this:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

tinaun posted:

The real question is how does the new update change this:

"I'll leave you with four words -
I glad Harley dead"
- Eazy E

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Hey, maybe if Jade takes a dip in that volcano, she'll find the Genesis Tadpole that fell in three years ago?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

YggiDee posted:

Hey, maybe if Jade takes a dip in that volcano, she'll find the Genesis Tadpole that fell in three years ago?

I think (and I may be mis-remembering) that when the tadpole sinks into the Forge, the denizen gets it and will only release it to a space player. If both Jade and Kanaya get incinerated here, welp.

Dramatic rescue in three, two,...

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 13, 2013

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Thundarr posted:

I think (and I may be mis-remembering) that when the tadpole sinks into the Forge, the denizen gets it and will only release it to a space player. If both Jade and Kanaya get incinerated here, welp.

Yeah, that is supposedly it - that's why HIC had Jade put Kanaya on LOFAF in the first place. Allegedly the tadpole sank to the center of the planet and is in Echidna's keeping, and Kanaya, being a space player and having some sort of habit of attempting to return to cores, is supposed to talk her into releasing it. (See here.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 13, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rooreelooo posted:

ok that's cool and all... what does it have to do with a superpowered teenage kid in his underwear charging up a dragonball z themed ball of hope so he can nuke an evil brainwashed space furry in a wizard of oz dress?

Well you see, Jake (Reagan) is going to win against Jade (Carter) at the behest of Aranea (The Gipper). All of this is surely to the great disgust of Vriska (Vriska).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Basically I'm amazed Vriska (Vriska) hasn't been worked into the thread title somehow yet.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Seoinin posted:

Basically I'm amazed Vriska (Vriska) hasn't been worked into the thread title somehow yet.

It's because she is super dead.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's because she is super dead.

Like a beaten horse.

Wait a minute. Vriska is like a horse. We've cracked the code here. Homestuck is solved.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Regy Rusty posted:

Well you see, Jake (Reagan) is going to win against Jade (Carter) at the behest of Aranea (The Gipper). All of this is surely to the great disgust of Vriska (Vriska).

So Jane is Margaret Thatcher in this analogy right? Everyone guard your milk!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I wonder if Jade will be back to normal when she (eventually) wakes up.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

King of Solomon posted:

Looks like the grimbark is drifting away from her, so maybe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like she IS turning normal in that last panel. Kickass.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

King of Solomon posted:

She's not dark grey anymore, so...

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Regy Rusty posted:

Wait, I thought Jade was Cell.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

She's not dark grey anymore, so...

Ah, yep. You're right, she sure isn't. Still, she's currently passed out. The Condesce could theoretically take control again after she wakes up.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Will a house land on Jade next?

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
A hope player KO'ing someone, huh? I wonder if that means someone else is going to die in a few panels.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

King of Solomon posted:

Ah, yep. You're right, she sure isn't. Still, she's currently passed out. The Condesce could theoretically take control again after she wakes up.

Yeah, this is only a temporary solution to the grimbark Jade thing. The others presumably could go defeat Condy right now before Jade wakes up, but considering how disorganized everyone is, it's not going to happen.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Dire Wombat posted:

Yeah, this is only a temporary solution to the grimbark Jade thing. The others presumably could go defeat Condy right now before Jade wakes up, but considering how disorganized everyone is, it's not going to happen.

You would assume Terzei or Roxy could make a character immune to mind control. Aranea perhaps could too, but I doubt she is so inclined.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Boneless Jogger posted:

A hope player KO'ing someone, huh? I wonder if that means someone else is going to die in a few panels.

Well, i assume it would be a Life player, and oh look! Jane's there.

Time to laser her to death.

I hope this isn't the end of Grimbark Jade though. It would be a really unsatisfying way to end that entire arc.

Yeah Man
Oct 9, 2011

And if you had, you know, a huge killer robot at your command, yeah, that would just clutter things up; and a lesser person might want that kind of overwhelming force on their side, but you know - where's the challenge in that?

Dorroile posted:

Well, i assume it would be a Life player, and oh look! Jane's there.

Time to laser her to death.

I hope this isn't the end of Grimbark Jade though. It would be a really unsatisfying way to end that entire arc.

This is Act 6 we're talking about, right?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Awesome, I finally managed to call something!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Yeah Man posted:

This is Act 6 we're talking about, right?

I guess you're right, unsatisfying anti-climaxes are par for the course.

Also, in Jake's power-up page, i can't help but be reminded of the sprite from that one unused boss in Mother 3 (linked because of spoilers if you haven't played it). Did anyone else notice the similarity, or is it just me?

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Honestly, saving someone from mind control with a giant hopesplosion DBZ-esque powerup sequence is pretty drat climactic for the Hussmaster General.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Man I got to be honest, this is kind of a lame end to the reign of Evil Jade. But maybe that's the point? I assumed Jade would need to be killed and then revived via God Tier resurrection to stop her, but here we have a deus ex machina that just KO'd her into being out of control. Though really, nothing is stopping Condy from just mind controlling her again.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

lotus circle posted:

Though really, nothing is stopping Condy from just mind controlling her again.

I think that's probably the point.

e: v

Hremsfeld posted:

So, we're basically all just getting our hopes up for nothing? :haw:

I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I wouldn't bet against it.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 14, 2013

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

WhiffleballDude posted:

I think that's probably the point.

So, we're basically all just getting our hopes up for nothing? :haw:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Dorroile posted:

Just because it's the end of Grimbark Jade does not mean that it's the end of this part of her character arc, if she remembers all of what she did while Grimbark'd then she is gonna have to deal with that at some point.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

lotus circle posted:

Though really, nothing is stopping Condy from just mind controlling her again.

This really is it - at any point, the Condesce could realise she's lost Jade and reassert control. It'll really put a damper on what would already be pretty strained relationships.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Besides which, I thought one of the points about Grimbark Jade was that she was basically just regular Jade anyway.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

frozentreasure posted:

Besides which, I thought one of the points about Grimbark Jade was that she was basically just regular Jade anyway.

I refuse to believe regular Jade would toss the Mayor into lava. :colbert:

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Wyld Karde posted:

I refuse to believe regular Jade would toss the Mayor into lava. :colbert:

Regular Jade but with less morality and silly hooman inhibitions.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Just because it's the end of Grimbark Jade does not mean that it's the end of this part of her character arc, if she remembers all of what she did while Grimbark'd then she is gonna have to deal with that at some point.

Thing is, she still hasn't done too much as evil Jade. She stood by while Jane stabbed Karkat, scattered her friends, threatened the mayor and argued with Dave. All sort of small potatoes for a mind control plot. Not that Hussie's a stranger to anticlimaxes, but it's a little late in the story to be dodging character development.

The fact that she was just normal Jade minus some conscience should be the setup for some consequences. Her odd relationship with the Daves might move forward if she said some unguarded things while mind-controlled she might not normally admit. Hurting a friend or using personal information against them seemed natural. I'm really expecting her to get re-mind-controlled.

Then again I didn't think she'd be freed in the first place so I'm pretty bad at Homestuck.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 14, 2013

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

It's a shame jake KO'd Grimbark Jade. It could have ended so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

frozentreasure posted:

Heeres your problem. Somebody's set this girl to evil!