Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Naffer posted:

It's kind of amazing that's it's halfway through September and there aren't any more Haswell ultrabooks available than there were back in July. Wasn't the Samsung 9 Plus supposed to be for sale at this point?

I heard that Apple snapped up as many Haswells as they could as early as they could, disrupting the available supply temporarily. That wouldn't surprise me based on previous activity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Here's my review of the Samsung Ativ 9 Book Plus Deep Fried Edition. Are you ready? Windows 8 is poo poo. Samsung installs garbage on it.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 14, 2013

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Duck and Cover posted:

Here's my review of the Samsung Ativ 9 Book Plus Deep fried Edition. Are you ready? Windows 8 is poo poo. Samsung installs garbage on it.

Is it just the new start screen or is there more wrong with it? What's the super high-res display like to work with?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Is the keyboard unbearably shallow or not too bad? Does the display resolution hurt performance for casual use?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Is it just the new start screen or is there more wrong with it? What's the super high-res display like to work with?

The whole making the control panel hard to find without having the startmenu. It's a dumb lovely system but seems to be fine once you install classicshell.

Progressive JPEG posted:

Is the keyboard unbearably shallow or not too bad? Does the display resolution hurt performance for casual use?

Keyboard is fine. Depends are you a Chrome user? Chrome doesn't want to scale text properly. The text is either blurry or your Chrome UI will be small and you have to set each page to zoom.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Windows 8 is a fun gauge to see how inefficiently people used Windows.

Opening the Control Panel with a mouse, crazy.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Windows 8 is a fun gauge to see how inefficiently people used Windows.

Opening the Control Panel with a mouse, crazy.

Windows 8 was designed by idiots for an imaginary person. Going to the charm bar selecting search, selecting settings is not a good system. Also it's slower than going to the start menu and selecting control panel. gently caress! I am so inefficient, got to get my keyboard shortcuts down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You press the Start button and type what you want.

Depending on what you have installed, it's as few as 5 keystrokes to open the Control Panel. Start, "con", Enter.

(Same as Windows 7.)

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Whoa amazing who needs these new fangled graphical interfaces anyway? gently caress that poo poo command line ALL THE WAY!

mewse
May 2, 2006

I agree that pressing the windows key, then the c key, then the o key, then the n key, then the enter key, is a lot more efficient than clicking the mouse, then clicking the mouse again

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

mewse posted:

I agree that pressing the windows key, then the c key, then the o key, then the n key, then the enter key, is a lot more efficient than clicking the mouse, then clicking the mouse again

Windows 8 has a "secret" menu of useful options if you right click in the bottom left corner of the screen. I use this a lot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Keyboard > All

Your hands are already on the keyboard, you have to add in the part about reaching for the mouse, grabing it, pointing, letting go and then putting your hand back (carefully! home row, people) on the keyboard.

Win 8.1 is supposed to be a lot more refined, I am installing it this weekend (MSDN whoo) and will report back on GUI scaling etc.

Second, if you hate the Win8 GUI (I do too, so no we're not enemies), just install Classic Shell (it's free)

http://www.classicshell.net/

Get all the advancements of Win8 (it's basically WS2012 at it's core) with the GUI power of Win 7 + explorer breadcrumbs of XP! loving brilliant. And did I mention, it's free?

mewse
May 2, 2006

I paid for startisback

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mewse posted:

I paid for startisback

Yeah, there are several good options. This is not an unsolvable problem

Stardock also sells the very excellent Start8. I think both products are under $10

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
I'm not sure if anyone cares, but this youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=394-jdwZhjQ)video shows that one of the CPUs that the Yoga 2 Pro comes with is the 4200U. That means that Lenovo is probably sticking with 17W Haswell for the Yoga 2 pro and isn't using the lower power/performance Y-series CPUs.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

It's a dumb lovely system but seems to be fine once you install classicshell.

Sometimes I mention useful things within my posts. Thanks Apple for two finger scroll being the opposite of what makes sense. Why do companies insist on copying stuff that Apple does wrong while being sure to ignore the stuff Apple does right? Is there a way to change the touch controls (not the touchpad) so that it scrolls the direction my finger is traveling?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Duck and Cover posted:

Windows 8 was designed by idiots for an imaginary person. Going to the charm bar selecting search, selecting settings is not a good system. Also it's slower than going to the start menu and selecting control panel. gently caress! I am so inefficient, got to get my keyboard shortcuts down.
I tried Windows 8 with all it's Metroness, I changed my operating behavior and became more win key + typing efficient. I even customized Metro and memorized icon positions on the screen so I can quickly hit the windows key and click an icon.

Three months later I installed Start 8, realized how loving stupid all that was, and reinstalled Windows 7.

Anyways, my y410p estimated shipping date is still January next year, and it's been a week with no updates, and trying to log in to the website to see my order gives me an "error" screen. Uhh.. Is this normal? Should I try to cancel my order?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 14, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I think that it's definitely abnormal

My Y410p just shipped and is supposed to get here next week. I ordered about two weeks ago, so not particularly early. This all seems good to me; I don't know why some people are seeing December estimated ship dates, but maybe if you're one of these people then you should call Lenovo and ask what's up

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Mutation posted:

I tried Windows 8 with all it's Metroness, I changed my operating behavior and became more win key + typing efficient. I even customized Metro and memorized icon positions on the screen so I can quickly hit the windows key and click an icon.

Three months later I installed Start 8, realized how loving stupid all that was, and reinstalled Windows 7.

Yeah, same (except without the downgrade to 7). Win 8 + Start8 is really great, installing start8 made me realise how much I'd been being frustrated by the start screen. It also completely distracts you when you're working, if you want to open a new application you have to go into a completely different environment.

I also particularly hate how the music app first takes you to the store rather than your music collection. I don't want to give you any more money, fuckers! The Plex app is fantastic though.

Seeing the Yoga Pro 2 is making me slightly regret buying this x230... I think it would have been perfect. Ah well.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

QuarkJets posted:

I think that it's definitely abnormal

My Y410p just shipped and is supposed to get here next week. I ordered about two weeks ago, so not particularly early. This all seems good to me; I don't know why some people are seeing December estimated ship dates, but maybe if you're one of these people then you should call Lenovo and ask what's up
I called, they said that it was just a website error (shocker!) and that it's still the original expected date. It should ship by monday.

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
I can buy a new W510 Acer Iconia (clover trail, 64gb ssd, 1366x768) for about 100 dollars.

With the keyboard dock I can wrangle about 16hours battery out of it, and I plan on using it primarily for Office.

I know its a good deal, but I sort of want to go the extra mile and get a surface

Monteunicorn fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 14, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

HAHAHAHAHA, bravo Samsung, bravo. Apparently Samsung installed a program that complains that my resolution is set very high on the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus Tastycakes Edition. How can you as a PC manufacture be so loving clueless? Did they not test the final version with crapware on it?

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009
I've been looking for a new laptop - I want it to be reliable, have a ~15" screen, but also play games like demon soul's and the future of with ease. The y510p seems like a pretty good deal, as set below -

• 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
• Windows 8 64
• NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB
• 8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 15.6" FHD LED Glossy Wedge 1920x1080
• 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD
• 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
• Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year

I'm curious for any input regarding this laptop's value, and why the hell Lenovo has such extended shipping dates. October 14th?

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

HAHAHAHAHA, bravo Samsung, bravo. Apparently Samsung installed a program that complains that my resolution is set very high on the Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus Tastycakes Edition. How can you as a PC manufacture be so loving clueless? Did they not test the final version with crapware on it?

Well, a switch to that high of a resolution may pose problems to people who can't read the smaller text. Does Windows 8 fully scale (at full resolution) to WQXGA or does it just give you really small text?

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Skooms posted:

I've been looking for a new laptop - I want it to be reliable, have a ~15" screen, but also play games like demon soul's and the future of with ease. The y510p seems like a pretty good deal, as set below -

• Windows 8 64
• 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD
• 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year

I'm curious for any input regarding this laptop's value, and why the hell Lenovo has such extended shipping dates. October 14th?

You should probably look for a computer with just HD5000, so you can forgo the dGPU (unless you're doing weird CUDA simulation stuff on it).
Laptops are much, much more portable when they aren't encumbered with a dGPU.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sports posted:

Well, a switch to that high of a resolution may pose problems to people who can't read the smaller text. Does Windows 8 fully scale (at full resolution) to WQXGA or does it just give you really small text?

Win 8.1 not only goes to 11, it goes to 50

If you're used to 130ppi and your new display does 300ppi, you "only" need to crank it up to 300% (actually closer to 250%) to get the same visual impact.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 15, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

sports posted:

It isn't Windows complaining it's Samsungs own crapware which they probably put on every computer. If you keep text at 100% yes it'll be really small.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Win 8.1 not only goes to 11, it goes to 50

If you're used to 130ppi and your new display does 300ppi, you "only" need to crank it up to 300% to get the same visual impact.

I am at a loss for words. Maybe 8.2 will take a hint (no pun intended). Isn't direct scaling not crisp because the font is aliased before the scale?

I'm going to blame Asus/Sony/Acer/whomever is outing 8.1 on a WQXGA laptop for this.

Edit: There will hopefully be a 3rd-party install to fix this in a month or three.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What kind of "test pattern" do you want me to try? I'll post uncompressed PNGs on a private server to compare.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

sports posted:

You should probably look for a computer with just HD5000, so you can forgo the dGPU (unless you're doing weird CUDA simulation stuff on it).

What manufacturers should I look for, in that case? I ask in particular, due to previous experience with Asus reliability issues.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Skooms posted:

What manufacturers should I look for, in that case? I ask in particular, due to previous experience with Asus reliability issues.

As of right now, there's a Clevo/System76 thing that has HD5000 graphics, and the MacBook Air.

By Q1 2014 there should be some more options offered- but that's all I know of right now.
I'd put a warning on Clevo/Sager/System76 reliability, though- I've never heard any experiences, period, with the tech support of those companies.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Skooms posted:

• Windows 8 64
• 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD
• 6 Cell Lithium-Ion
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year

The Y410p/Y510p have been getting a lot of praise, they seem like pretty solid budget gaming systems. A lot of people in this thread have bought the Y410p (the 14" version of the Y510p that you've selected).

The 24GB SSD cache in the 1TB is not very useful. If you're willing to spend the extra bit of money, downgrade to the 1TB (no cache) version with the 1080 screen and then upgrade to a full SSD yourself. This will be a huge performance boost. From there you can do whatever you want with the 1TB drive; either sell it or buy a 9.5mm HDD ultrabay caddy on Amazon for $10-15 so that you can put the 1TB HDD where the optical drive normally sits (but then you're without an optical drive, which is going to be fine for most users).

You could also think about getting the Y410p. It's a 14" screen at 1600x900 instead of 15.6" at 1920x1080. It's slightly cheaper, a little lighter, and will perform slightly better (fewer pixels means less power consumption and less GPU usage for the same tasks). Personally, the 14" size feels perfect to me

Either way, be sure to use the B&N Gold link in the OP so that you can save even more money

Skooms posted:

There aren't many systems with the HD5000 yet, and they all cost significantly more than systems like the Y410p/Y510p. If you're willing to wait, early next year should have a great selection of good integrated graphics laptops. As sports said, the existing systems have some sketchy reliability issues, and the Macbook Air isn't optimal for gaming, so it's either wait 3-6 months or buy a laptop with a dGPU and accept all of the consequences that brings.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sports posted:

That generally isn't true though - a 15" chassis is a 15" chassis regardless of whether it comes with a DGPU or onboard only.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Um... HD 5000 graphics is much worse than a GT 750M.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

shrughes posted:

Um... HD 5000 graphics is much worse than a GT 750M.

Quantitatively, yes.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
What I got from his post is that he wants to play current and future games.

Integrated graphics, not even the hd5k, is not what he wants to buy.

Skooms
Nov 5, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

The Y410p/Y510p have been getting a lot of praise, they seem like pretty solid budget gaming systems. A lot of people in this thread have bought the Y410p (the 14" version of the Y510p that you've selected).

The 24GB SSD cache in the 1TB is not very useful. If you're willing to spend the extra bit of money, downgrade to the 1TB (no cache) version with the 1080 screen and then upgrade to a full SSD yourself. This will be a huge performance boost. From there you can do whatever you want with the 1TB drive; either sell it or buy a 9.5mm HDD ultrabay caddy on Amazon for $10-15 so that you can put the 1TB HDD where the optical drive normally sits (but then you're without an optical drive, which is going to be fine for most users).

You could also think about getting the Y410p. It's a 14" screen at 1600x900 instead of 15.6" at 1920x1080. It's slightly cheaper, a little lighter, and will perform slightly better (fewer pixels means less power consumption and less GPU usage for the same tasks). Personally, the 14" size feels perfect to me

Either way, be sure to use the B&N Gold link in the OP so that you can save even more money

There aren't many systems with the HD5000 yet, and they all cost significantly more than systems like the Y410p/Y510p. If you're willing to wait, early next year should have a great selection of good integrated graphics laptops. As sports said, the existing systems have some sketchy reliability issues, and the Macbook Air isn't optimal for gaming, so it's either wait 3-6 months or buy a laptop with a dGPU and accept all of the consequences that brings.

I think I'll be taking your advice. It does seem like in order to enjoy the GT750M with the Y410p I will be forced to upgrade to the cached 1TB drive.

My only problem has been with the B&N Gold, I have attempted account creation twice now, both times no account activation e-mail has landed in my inbox. What's the deal?

Thanks again.

Skooms fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 15, 2013

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Skooms posted:

I think I'll be taking your advice. It does seem like in order to enjoy the GT750M with the Y410p I will be forced to upgrade to the cached 1TB drive.

My only problem has been with the B&N Gold, I have attempted account creation twice now, both times no account activation e-mail has landed in my inbox. What's the deal?

Thanks again.

Yeah, I'm really not sure why they put huge slow 5400 RPM drives in all of the Y410p/Y510p models. They're billed as high performance machines for the budget-conscious gamer, but gamers are going to want an SSD (or maybe won't know any better). Upgrading to the 1TB HDD + 24GB SSD cache helps a little bit on titles that you play very regularly, but a real SSD is the way to go.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah, I'm really not sure why they put huge slow 5400 RPM drives in all of the Y410p/Y510p models. They're billed as high performance machines for the budget-conscious gamer, but gamers are going to want an SSD (or maybe won't know any better). Upgrading to the 1TB HDD + 24GB SSD cache helps a little bit on titles that you play very regularly, but a real SSD is the way to go.
Because not having a real SSD lets them chop ~$200 off the price, which is pretty substantial in the market they're trying to hit. 7200RPM laptop drives are being phased out entirely by Seagate, with WD likely to follow, so from a forward-looking have-to-support-these-machines-for-awhile perspective, 5400RPMs with a cache makes sense.

e; now why they don't even offer a SSD as an option? The only rationale for that is whoever is in charge of setting up the optional equipment for Lenovo as a whole is a loving retard. See: T430 not having a decent screen option at any price, etc. It seems that their mission in life is to ensure that any laptop configuration available will only make the consumer 90% happy. Never 100%.

ee; For some serious "Lenovo, go home, you're drunk": Currently, the Y510p with 1TB+24GB SSD is $929 on B&N. The Y510p without the SSD cache is $1129. As in $200 more expensive for a downgrade. The no-cache version is also $10 more expensive than the cache+SLI 750's right now, too. :psyduck:

DrDork fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sports
Sep 1, 2012
How can Lenovo out a Y510 for anything above $800?