Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brazen Apothecary
Apr 9, 2007

NIGHTCREWBESTCREW

Jealous Cow posted:

So:

6,000 - HOA
2,300 - Taxes
8,300 - Total

8,300/45,000 = 18.4%

So you have about 23% left before maxing out your DTI for an FHA loan. 28% of your annual income is 10,350, so per month about $862.

That will get you what, a $170k-180k mortgage? So if the sale price is $250k you'll need to save up about $80k to put down, and then you'll be spending 42% of your annual gross income just on mortgage, property taxes, and HOA. You can have no other debts. If the HOA goes up or you can't get the grandfathered tax thing you're screwed. You will not be able to save any money, realistically, so if you ever lose your job you're screwed.

Was that "DO NEVER BUY" enough for everyone?

I'm an Adjunct instructor (job fluctuates), so this is kind of scary.

CrazyLittle posted:

How much can you rent that place out for? If we're talking strictly "family net worth" its in your parents' best interst to hold onto the property. Prop 13 is literally, "do never sell."

I think the magic number around here for these townhomes is 2300-2700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Any thoughts and/or advice on appraisals to remove the PMI on my conventional loan? Does the equity I've gained through the appraisal get applied to the LTV calculation?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Brazen Apothecary posted:

I'm an Adjunct instructor (job fluctuates), so this is kind of scary.

I think the magic number around here for these townhomes is 2300-2700.

See if you can convince your parents to hold onto the property and just rent it out instead, with the hope that you inherit it later. IMHO The lump sum from a sale won't help you or them as much as the perpetual income (that's probably going up) over time.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

ETB posted:

Any thoughts and/or advice on appraisals to remove the PMI on my conventional loan? Does the equity I've gained through the appraisal get applied to the LTV calculation?

My PMI agreement had a minimum number of payments - I had to pay 2 years' PMI even if my LTV went below 80%. But I re-financed and when the appraisal came in at 78% for the new loan I obviously didn't have to do PMI. Not exactly the same as what you're asking but I learned that the PMI agreement is tied to the loan so if you're pretty sure you're below 80% LTV you can re-finance to get out of PMI.

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

But I AM worried about the HOA, which is almost 500 a month.

Christ on a stick, I pay less than that on a high-rise condo. What the hell do HOAs do in California?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Robo-Pope posted:

Christ on a stick, I pay less than that on a high-rise condo. What the hell do HOAs do in California?

Mostly just fine you for infractions like grass being too tall, non-approved property improvements, or not bringing your trash cans up from the street fast enough. They sometimes pay for maintenance on green areas, security, and if there are neighborhood pools or play areas.

Brazen Apothecary
Apr 9, 2007

NIGHTCREWBESTCREW

jabro posted:

Mostly just fine you for infractions like grass being too tall, non-approved property improvements, or not bringing your trash cans up from the street fast enough. They sometimes pay for maintenance on green areas, security, and if there are neighborhood pools or play areas.

Yeah, it's pretty bullshit, and they go up pretty regularly.

Ours does the following for our 144 home complex:
Pays for water
Maintains groundskeeping areas and shitton of grass everywhere
Maintains the complex's pool and spa
Is responsible for any outside-of-the-house repairs (anything from the inside of our walls moving outward (outside paint, roofing, termite inspection, etc)
Paints every 7 years
Repaves the streets in the complex every 10 years
Enforces parking with a truly unforgiving and annoying hand
~~*CALIFORNIA*~~

There's probably something else I'm forgetting

If my parents weren't so willing to cut me a good deal, I wouldn't even be considering housing in this area. As it is, I'm still waffling.

I'm going to bring up renting to them either way--I know they really want a lump sum, but we can work around that, and I think it might be more beneficial for them to hang on to the place for a bit.

Either way, guess I'm movin' out again. :sigh:

Rent out here is similarly atrocious.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Stopped by our house build on my way home tonight and the house is pretty much done at this point, just a few small touch ups left. Everything else in installed and working at this point from what I could tell. The walkthrough should be next week and we close on the 18th. The mortgage underwriter has signed off on the loan and insurance is in place. Really can't wait to get this wrapped up.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Woot, now Zillow estimates that my condo has appreciated $75,000 over the past 5 months. I'm a rich man now! :v:

Always buy. Always.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

If my parents weren't so willing to cut me a good deal, I wouldn't even be considering housing in this area. As it is, I'm still waffling.

I'm going to bring up renting to them either way--I know they really want a lump sum, but we can work around that, and I think it might be more beneficial for them to hang on to the place for a bit.

Either way, guess I'm movin' out again. :sigh:

Rent out here is similarly atrocious.

Are you totally against the idea of buying the house from your parents and then getting a roommate? Charge them market rate for rent and it would offset a lot of your costs.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

razz posted:

Are you totally against the idea of buying the house from your parents and then getting a roommate? Charge them market rate for rent and it would offset a lot of your costs.

Yeah, as much as I agree with "do never buy" even in your case, I think your parents should strongly consider "do never sell" as part of it. I don't think you can deffer income against the sale of a house. How much do they REALLY want to pay upwards of 35% 15% on the cost of the house in income taxes capital gains taxes?

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 11, 2013

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I should have come here first, I just put in my first offer for a home and reading through the advice has me :negative:. I've got what looks like a really good pre-approval and the home is fairly new. The surrounding neighborhood is rough, but not the worst in town.

I'll pop back in and let you folks know how it goes and ask questions as snags arise. I'm a little nervous now but the math looks good on the benefits, even if I'm looking 4-5 years out.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

CrazyLittle posted:

Yeah, as much as I agree with "do never buy" even in your case, I think your parents should strongly consider "do never sell" as part of it. I don't think you can deffer income against the sale of a house. How much do they REALLY want to pay upwards of 35% on the cost of the house in income taxes?

Home sale would be long-term capital gains, not income. First $500k of appreciation is exempt for a married couple if they lived there 2 of the last 5 years.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 11, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Engineer Lenk posted:

Home sale would be long-term capital gains, not income. First $500k of appreciation is exempt for a married couple if they lived there 2 of the last 5 years.

Thanks for that correction. I completely forgot about the lower rate for capital gains.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The other interesting thing is that real estate losses on your primary income are not deductible unless you treat the property as commercial / rental, and even then you cannot deduct more than somewhere around I think $100k (basis adjusted) unless you count as a real estate professional. So basically every other tax treatment of properties encourages property prices to go up monotonically thus artificially creating a price floor. 1031 exchange helps cement this part in as well, although most assets that are applicable under 1031 have not appreciated anywhere like housing has (do we pay 20 times as much for beef as we did in 1980?)

If I lost a crap-ton of money in stock, I can carry over the losses for years to come offsetting my gains. If I was in Detroit in 1990 and left recently losing everything, I couldn't get a deduction for anything - I may even have a tax bill due to how 1031 exchanges can recapture the depreciation while I lived there!

This is a fundamental reason why you do not treat your primary house as an "investment" - it is not characterized as an investment by the US IRS, plain and simple. While there are some upsides financially, the downsides are not protected like you would be if you put money in the stock market or even your 401k.

Real estate: be rich or gently caress off

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
We successfully got through first round of negotiations on our first place, good price in a great location and a really decent looking first house. We applied for the loan yesterday and they required upfront cost of appraisal upon submitting the application. Then went immediately to home inspection and BAM, structural concerns. Looks like cracking on the bricks on the front of the house, looks like one part might be moving outward, interior doors and an exterior door aren't square and have trouble closing. The inspector was optimistic and said he's seen tons of these turn out to be nothing, just initial settling and nothing more but I'm pretty nervous about it now. We are having a structural engineer take a look, but even if they say it's good to go I'm not going to shake the feeling that in 10 years we'll be in the seller's position of trying to unload a possibly unsound house. I'm heavily considering canceling the contract (I need to double check but I"m sure we had all the usual contingencies) as most advice pertaining to foundation stuff I've seen is RUN AWAY. Anyone else have other experiences?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Foundation and structure issues are the scariest, to me. I'm far more willing to accept a crappy kitchen that I'll have to upgrade or some problems with a roof I'll have to replace, than the prospect of the house being literally unsafe for habitation until I spend tens of thousands of dollars.

Get that structural inspection and if there are any significant problems, I would say walk away.

You'll be out the cost of your inspections but that's a lot less than being out the unknown/potentially enormous costs of repairing the structure.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Foundations can be fixed but fixing them right is very expensive. Moving the house on top of a properly constructed foundation is the best solution. There are other ways to fix a failing foundation as long as you know why it failed and are certain this condition won't cause the rest of the foundation to fail in the future.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
We don't really know the extent of it as of now, and like the inspector said it could be nothing to worry about; however I'm not sure if I want to live with that nagging feeling. If the engineer says it needs repair, we are likely not even going to bother asking them to fix it and just walk away if we can. My feeling is that I might not even want to wait for the engineer, being a first time buyer I don't want this hanging over the whole thing.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Danger posted:

We don't really know the extent of it as of now, and like the inspector said it could be nothing to worry about; however I'm not sure if I want to live with that nagging feeling. If the engineer says it needs repair, we are likely not even going to bother asking them to fix it and just walk away if we can. My feeling is that I might not even want to wait for the engineer, being a first time buyer I don't want this hanging over the whole thing.
So just jump ship when it might not be sinking? A crack in brickwork means nothing - or it means everything. Brick goes both ways. Like they say, concrete does 2 things: it gets hard and it cracks.

Let the eng do his/her job and see what's up.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

It's clearly doing something, as you can see it bowing a bit along the side and the doors not closing effectively and such; however I know the engineer will say more definitely either way and we still have time for them to take a look. Everything else about the place is great, so of course we had to find foundation stuff to deal with.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Danger posted:

It's clearly doing something, as you can see it bowing a bit along the side and the doors not closing effectively and such; however I know the engineer will say more definitely either way and we still have time for them to take a look. Everything else about the place is great, so of course we had to find foundation stuff to deal with.
I almost have to ask why you made an offer on a house you can see bowing out the sides above the foundation, but I'll refrain. I see why you're scared off now. I may be too... Engineer will know for sure. Ya doesn't that always seem to happen with things, you get 95% of what you want and the last tiny bit could blow the whole deal? Life's a bitch!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

SiGmA_X posted:

I almost have to ask why you made an offer on a house you can see bowing out the sides above the foundation, but I'll refrain. I see why you're scared off now. I may be too... Engineer will know for sure. Ya doesn't that always seem to happen with things, you get 95% of what you want and the last tiny bit could blow the whole deal? Life's a bitch!

Well, it looks normal and I only noticed it (and the cracks) after the inspector pointed it out. They really aren't blatant. The bowing is really just a door frame of an exterior door, but that plus the cracks could add up. The house looks great besides that, it was built in 1991 and has nice updates, good drainage, great roof, etc. I wouldn't have considered the foundation to be a problem until this stuff was indicated by the inspector, granted that's why he's there in the first place. The inspector said himself that he has no reason to think it'll be anything massive, just that it's enough to have someone else take a look. Maybe we're just being jittery, but we'll see.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Danger posted:

the doors not closing effectively and such;
I don't think any house 20+ years old is going to be perfectly square. Interior doors are going to show this worse than probably anything else, and it's really not hard to replace an interior door to compensate for a few decades of settling.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Which is why houses that settled a long time ago tend to have already replaced doors so that they still close, despite a wonky frame.

If the doors don't close properly now, that suggests the issue is more recent.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Alright, we've moved forward into the loan process. Negotiated a decent price, the appraisal is ordered - now we play the waiting game. Holy poo poo I might have a house here soon.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Bavius posted:

Holy poo poo I might have a house here soon.

It's a surreal feeling, isn't it? I've been in my house for a while now and I still can't believe it's mine.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Ugh; we close on Monday. Totally a surreal feeling.

Cant wait for the plethora of problems a nearly-100-year-old home in the nation's capitol is going to bring.

DwemerCog
Nov 27, 2012

Walked posted:

Cant wait for the plethora of problems a nearly-100-year-old home in the nation's capitol is going to bring.

At least you can be sure a 100 year old home was built solidly, because it hasn't fallen down yet. Modern homes seem to be made of plywood and short-cuts. Just bought a 100 year old home myself.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Walked posted:

Ugh; we close on Monday. Totally a surreal feeling.

Just wait until you have to deal with the DCRA permit system for ANY improvement you want to make.

Let's also hope you have off street parking. Oh, and they just revamped the visitor pass zoning system, and my visitor permit expires at the end of the month (although I have it in writing that the expiration date has been extended to the end of October, but I wouldn't trust the ticket writers to know that, and good luck fighting a ticket in DC) There is a new process for the visitor passes for zoned residential parking, but no way to apply for it yet and no timetable for receiving the passes.

Anything else you want to know about DC? I work for the city government (and have for several years). Seriously it can get a little crazy when you have to deal with the city government.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

alternate.eago posted:

Just wait until you have to deal with the DCRA permit system for ANY improvement you want to make.

Let's also hope you have off street parking. Oh, and they just revamped the visitor pass zoning system, and my visitor permit expires at the end of the month (although I have it in writing that the expiration date has been extended to the end of October, but I wouldn't trust the ticket writers to know that, and good luck fighting a ticket in DC) There is a new process for the visitor passes for zoned residential parking, but no way to apply for it yet and no timetable for receiving the passes.

Anything else you want to know about DC? I work for the city government (and have for several years). Seriously it can get a little crazy when you have to deal with the city government.

Ha; I'm fairly sure we're in good shape right now. We do have offstreet parking, and only one car of the two of us anyways, and it's not zoned parking for visitors. Shouldnt be a big trouble. (though I'm prepared to eat my words on this)

already becoming familiar with the permit BS but there's no way around that one

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Oh I know the permit process VERY well, how often are you at 4th St SW? (although the permit center used to be on N Cap St by Union Station)

So your street isn't Zone 1, or 6 or anything? They are going to be changing the zones on a lot of streets in the near future as they are changing the entire visitor pass system.

But seriously, it's not a bad city to live in, and if I hadn't just inherited a house outside Ft Meade with my brother, I would probably be looking at places in Annacostia (because on my salary that would be all I can afford).

the way around the permit BS was to not buy in DC

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

alternate.eago posted:

Oh I know the permit process VERY well, how often are you at 4th St SW? (although the permit center used to be on N Cap St by Union Station)

So your street isn't Zone 1, or 6 or anything? They are going to be changing the zones on a lot of streets in the near future as they are changing the entire visitor pass system.

But seriously, it's not a bad city to live in, and if I hadn't just inherited a house outside Ft Meade with my brother, I would probably be looking at places in Annacostia (because on my salary that would be all I can afford).

the way around the permit BS was to not buy in DC

Right now the street is entirely free of zone regulation, yes. If it changes, we'll evaluate when it happens. We have a driveway in an alley on the backside, too.

I've lived in the area my entire life, and in DC proper for the last two years now; finally ready to commit to a long while here; hence the purchase.

(We're in somewhat upper NE for this purchase)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Which is why houses that settled a long time ago tend to have already replaced doors so that they still close, despite a wonky frame.

If the doors don't close properly now, that suggests the issue is more recent.
The house was built in the 90s. It would not surprise me if they were the original doors. My house has the original doors from the 80s still, and no, they don't all close properly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Did the final walkthrough on my new home build today. It went fairly well, mostly paint touch ups and one dent on a panel on the microwave that they have on order, but there was one issue that I'm surprised no one but me had noticed. There is a empty nook/desk area in the kitchen that I'm going to turn into a coffee/beer bar after we move in and the nook is really out of square. Not within a reasonable amount, but off 2 inches over the 74" span. It was easily noticeable looking at the tile floor, I don't know how the flooring guys didn't notice this when they were putting it down. They're going to pull the drywall and square up the framing and fix it for me prior to our close on Wednesday thankfully.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

rockcity posted:

Did the final walkthrough on my new home build today. It went fairly well, mostly paint touch ups and one dent on a panel on the microwave that they have on order, but there was one issue that I'm surprised no one but me had noticed. There is a empty nook/desk area in the kitchen that I'm going to turn into a coffee/beer bar after we move in and the nook is really out of square. Not within a reasonable amount, but off 2 inches over the 74" span. It was easily noticeable looking at the tile floor, I don't know how the flooring guys didn't notice this when they were putting it down. They're going to pull the drywall and square up the framing and fix it for me prior to our close on Wednesday thankfully.

It is entirely possible the tile guys saw it, said "Not Our fuckin' problem," and moved on.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I've spent sooo much money at Home Depot in the 4 months since we closed. Soooo much. I'm about to take down some wallpaper and paneling to see if the plaster is hosed, fine, or repairable. All the rest of the plaster walls in the house are in great condition, but it's killing me not knowing for sure.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

therobit posted:

It is entirely possible the tile guys saw it, said "Not Our fuckin' problem," and moved on.

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

therobit posted:

Yep, most likely. All depends on the quality of GC and contractor. And most GC's and contractors...! Buyer beware! I'm glad you caught it, Rockcity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
So, we're interested in buying a house. However, I think we waited about a year too long.

Here's the city we're looking at: http://www.zillow.com/local-info/CA-Santa-Rosa-home-value/r_26967/

Regarding Santa Rosa, it's about 50 miles north of San Francisco. It also has a very good Junior College. There's not one HUD house for sale in all of the city, let alone county (Sonoma).

Good stuff that was in our comfortable price range (350k) a year ago no longer is. Houses are being sold and flipped in the area of the city we're looking at.

Using Zillow, there's a decent amount of pre-foreclosers available at good price ranges, but that's it. Is it pretty safe to assume that something listed as a pre-foreclsore is simply not available?

So my question is, should we try to buy now, or do the wise amongst us believe there's going to be a down-swing soonish (within the next year or two)? It seems like we're in another bubble, with +30% increase per year, but this is Northern CA, so who knows...

Any advice?

Besides reading the OP, I'm completely ignorant regarding the whole situation.