Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

aventari posted:

Then when you pick them up, all four look like this

Careless installation on the balancer. Newer machines have a rubber guard that goes over the cup so that doesn't happen, and a bearing between the cup and the... handle... thing so it spins there instead of dragging the cup across your wheel and scratching it.

Also I use an impact gun to tighten lug nuts.

But I turn it to the lowest setting and use the thinnest torque stick we have. Basically just enough to snug them and hold the wheel on until it's on the ground and I can set the final torque by hand. The other techs give me endless poo poo for it, but I've never* broken a stud or wheel bolt. :smug:

I mean, by company policy we hand torque every car, but a torque wrench only tells you it's tight enough, doesn't do any good if it's too tight.

*While installing wheels. I've had to intentionally break a few that were siezed on/crossthreaded already when the car came in. We're an express shop, so neither management nor the customers are willing to wait a few days with PB blaster like we would on our own vehicles in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

So this one's on me...

I've known I needed to do my rear brakes for a while, but a side of thyroid cancer treatment and terrible weather when I did feel up to doing the job meant I put it off for several months. Long story short, I've been driving around with scraping grinding noises from my right rear wheel for a while. Then my ABS light turned on. Today was finally my chance - right weather, right tools, right energy level.

Old pads, or more accurately backing plate and pad:

The rotor was a complete motherfucker to get off, but after three attempts with the "screw a bolt at the thing from the caliper mounts" method, it popped off.

Then I found out 1) why my ABS light came on, and 2) where all that metal missing from the backing plate went:

So now I have a new appreciation for myself saying "Fix your drat car!" at people whose cars sound like bolts in a meat grinder. Also shame. Lots of shame.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mooseykins posted:

I've never been able to take Wranglers seriously since i saw Clueless as a kid.

For me it was the bros in highschool with hemp bracelets, visors with their frosted hair sticking out the top, and driving around doorless with their foot out the door.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

Just the thing to go with my flaming dragon shirt?

:stonklol:

So help me, I kind of like the grille & the gold gauge trim. Everything else is hideous.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

Boat posted:

So help me, I kind of like the grille & the gold gauge trim. Everything else is hideous.

Yeah, take away anything dragony and the gold steering wheel and door accents, and I think it's not too shabby.

Also, wasn't "dragoning" a thing about having sex with a car?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I sat in traffic behind this guy for a while and I'm still not exactly sure what happened here.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

aventari posted:

You'd think this would work wouldn't you?

I also go the extra mile of washing and waxing my wheels that I bring in just to show them that I care about my wheels and want them treated well
Then I tell the guy at the counter to please not scratch them as they are nearly new and I've had wheels scratched before.

They always say the same thing, :smug: "We are very careful sir, we don't scratch or blemish anything" :smug:

Then when you pick them up, all four look like this

This is why we can't have nice things. I have driven away from a shop with loose lugs, and missing ones. I haven't had any stripped irreparably yet, but it's common that they just don't get done right.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I'm not sure if this is terrible or awesome. The more I saw it the more it grew on me.

click for big.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

tobu posted:

I'm not sure if this is terrible or awesome. The more I saw it the more it grew on me.

click for big.

There's one of those down the road from my house at a building site, at first I thought it was interestingly weird but now I just think it looks ugly.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

Yeah, take away anything dragony and the gold steering wheel and door accents, and I think it's not too shabby.

Also, wasn't "dragoning" a thing about having sex with a car?

...well, you asked.

:nws:http://dragonshavingsexwithcars.tumblr.com/:nms:

I think there was a GBS post with most of these at some point.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?

Boat posted:

...well, you asked.

:nws:http://dragonshavingsexwithcars.tumblr.com/:nms:

I think there was a GBS post with most of these at some point.

That last one with the Camaro is the worst, if only because the dude starts critiquing it like it's serious art.

"The artists’ decision to use the Chevy Camaro in this picture, then, becomes obvious, but the brilliance of detail that he brings into this work cannot be neglected. The wood grain in the back walls is sumptuous and provides a contrast with the purple of the car, representing both the kingly nature of the vehicle and its dignified sensuality."

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

I have over $4000 in that pile of parts.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

ultimateforce posted:

I have over $4000 in that pile of parts.

And you'll have $1000 more in it again before you sell it all for $2000!

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Almost there!!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Ror posted:

I sat in traffic behind this guy for a while and I'm still not exactly sure what happened here.

The white picket fence and foliage makes this pretty awesome in my opinion. Also the two right-side light assemblies with one upside-down. Dude gives no fucks whatsoever. :golfclap:

tobu posted:

click for big.

It looks like he was going for the HMMWV look

but ended up looking like a Pontiac Aztek on steroids.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That Jeep is only allowed to be owned by dragons. :smaug:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

(not my pic)

Is this a thing now?

I got a bunch of stuff that I don't think I've put in here yet, apologies for any reposts:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

tobu posted:

click for big.

It's an aero top, they make a couple mpg improvement.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Am I missing something? A dog is in the back of a pickup :v:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I did a thing in east Europe.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Am I missing something? A dog is in the back of a pickup :v:

Driving at 50 mi/hr down a hilly road. Is this normal for you?

e: VVV That was the first and only time I've ever seen it, wow, I had no idea it was a normal thing.

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 15, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

And riding on the toolbox.

Yes, very normal when I was living in North Carolina.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, but it's pretty normal for a house dog down there. Hunting dogs go in a dog box so they don't take off after poo poo as you drive down the road.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty normal in Australia...

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cacafuego posted:

e: VVV That was the first and only time I've ever seen it, wow, I had no idea it was a normal thing.

People do it all the time in rural areas. It isn't safe and my friends dog has 3 legs to prove that, but people do it anyways. My dog only gets to ride in the bed if I am driving around the property. Otherwise she goes in the cab.

Go to page 16 of this PDF for an article about a photgrapher who does pictures of truck dogs.

http://www.cenizojournal.com/cenizo-2013-02.pdf

Analogue Kid
Jan 4, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know this has been a thing for years, but I never understood why. There has never been any connection in either business or design between Bentley and Chrysler, it's like sticking a farting fairy on the hood of a Chevy Impala.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Uhh, didn't Chrysler license the front design from Bentley for that car?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

revmoo posted:

I don't think so. If you were Bentley, would you let them?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

revmoo posted:

I don't believe so. Chrysler just ganked the big mesh grill and a sort-of-similar front end design.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

it seems even less likely that they'd license it, given that Chrysler was merged with Daimler-Benz at the time, and Bentley is a VAG product.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Atticus_1354 posted:

People do it all the time in rural areas. It isn't safe and my friends dog has 3 legs to prove that, but people do it anyways. My dog only gets to ride in the bed if I am driving around the property. Otherwise she goes in the cab.

Very common in Texas. When I still had the pickup my dogs got to ride in back all the time. They loved it. I had a tie-down point in the middle of the bed at the front. They were leashed to the truck so they couldn't jump/fall out. Just enough slack to get their head and shoulders over the side for that sweet, sweet 50mph breeze in the face.

Yeah, there's zero protection from a wreck but if they were riding inside there wouldn't be much more.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Linedance posted:

a VAG product.

Never not going to make me snigger.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Cakefool posted:

Never not going to make me snigger.

Aren't we all a VAG product?

:colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The 300 is commonly called the "Baby Bentley" so of course people stick the badge on there.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

Aren't we all a VAG product?

:colbert:

Unless you were artificially inseminated and caesarean born, yup.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Rhyno posted:

The 300 is commonly called the "Baby Bentley" so of course people stick the badge on there.

By who??? It's nothing like a Bentley.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mooseykins posted:

By who??? It's nothing like a Bentley.

Not to you or me or anyone who knows anything about cars but this is a thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bab...6&bih=643&dpr=1

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Kill-9 posted:

Very common in Texas. When I still had the pickup my dogs got to ride in back all the time. They loved it.

Yeah I am in Texas also, but it happens all over the place. Also my dog was raised in my lifted Cherokee so she is used to being inside and now that I have a truck she is old and would rather sleep in the car.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Rhyno posted:

Not to you or me or anyone who knows anything about cars but this is a thing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bab...6&bih=643&dpr=1

:stonklol:

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Apparently I posted this in the wrong thread..