Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

MrChips posted:

As you said, 2007 335s are pretty undesirable. First year car, so I has all the problems you would expect, and if it doesn't have the Sport package, it doesn't have an oil cooler either - and believe me, you need an oil cooler with an N54/N55 engine. Unless you can verify this car has one, just move on.

It's an auto with paddle shift (which makes it sport right?), in theory it should have the cooler. Requested the VIN to see whats up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

S.W.G. posted:

It's an auto with paddle shift (which makes it sport right?), in theory it should have the cooler. Requested the VIN to see whats up.

My 2010 335 had the HPFP replaced twice in the 2600 miles I owned it, from new. I can't imagine buying an early example of that car.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Holy hell, why did BMW have to use a funky center bore on the E39s. I can't find cheap wheels for it anywhere.

I'm in alberta, somebody throw some options at me.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

thealphabetsez posted:

My 2010 335 had the HPFP replaced twice in the 2600 miles I owned it, from new. I can't imagine buying an early example of that car.

It's completely a car by car basis. Some have relentless problems, while others have no problems with them at all. Mine has a build date of 09/2007 and has had the HPFP replaced once by the original owner. Since then, more than 33k miles have been put on it over the last 2 years and it hasn't had any additional problems.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I just spent an absolutely absurd amount of money on two NOS fog lamps. :suicide:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So I've noticed lately sometimes when I shut off my car and the keys out the AC computer stills makes a humming electronic noise like it is still on but the screen is off. I recently reflowed a bad solder connection on a capacitor, a common fix I found online. Anyone else have this happen before? I pulled each of the AC computer fuses out one by one but it only stopped humming when I pulled fuse 33 (I think it was 33, it was whatever AC fuse is in the 30 column).

Popete fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 13, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sure hope they fit

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Popete posted:

So I've noticed lately sometimes when I shut off my car and the keys out the AC computer stills makes a humming electronic noise like it is still on but the screen is off. I recently reflowed a bad solder connection on a capacitor, a common fix I found online. Anyone else have this happen before? I pulled each of the AC computer fuses out one by one but it only stopped humming when I pulled fuse 33 (I think it was 33, it was whatever AC fuse is in the 30 column).

What car is this? I think it's normal as I've heard about it before and my 2002 E46 does it sometimes.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.
I know some cars run the fan to reduce condensation and the possibility of mold growth. Just a thought.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Keyser S0ze posted:

What car is this? I think it's normal as I've heard about it before and my 2002 E46 does it sometimes.
Ya my 2004 e46 does this too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

IIRC that noise is the temperature sampler fan for the automatic climate control. It normally runs very quietly, but over time it gets all grunged up with dirt and dust, making it noticeable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's an e36 m3. The sampler fan sounds about right, I noticed when I put my thumb over the small vent on the front it made a more high pitched whine like a fan working harder. So that temperature sampler just always runs even when the car is off?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Powershift posted:

Holy hell, why did BMW have to use a funky center bore on the E39s. I can't find cheap wheels for it anywhere.

I'm in alberta, somebody throw some options at me.
That'll teach you to buy some decent original BMW wheels. :colbert: However, if you find any 5/120 wheels with a larger bore, you can always use centering rings.

Popete posted:

It's an e36 m3. The sampler fan sounds about right, I noticed when I put my thumb over the small vent on the front it made a more high pitched whine like a fan working harder. So that temperature sampler just always runs even when the car is off?
It just runs for a while. I noticed it too the other day in my E39.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

MrChips posted:

IIRC that noise is the temperature sampler fan for the automatic climate control. It normally runs very quietly, but over time it gets all grunged up with dirt and dust, making it noticeable.

and if it is that fan, it should turn off after ~15-20 minutes from the ignition being turned off when the car enters sleep mode, as I discovered on the weekend.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
E36s do that as well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
BMWs have goofy climate control. I haven't even run the E39 in cold weather yet, but I have a button that activates a little aux cooling pump so you still get heat for a few minutes while the car is off.

Also I wonder if the 'auto recirculate' option really works, I doubt it, but it'd be cool if it still did. Supposedly on auto it pulls in fresh air until it detects pollutants or particulates, then recircs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My E34 currently does some hilarious things like randomly cooking/freezing the passenger for brief moments as well as running the footwell vents at full hot all the time.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
My E39's climate control is hosed up. I've owned four different cars with AAC in the past five years and all worked consistently to me so I'm preety sure it's the car. There's nothing wrong with the A/C or the heat, just 60 to 80 seems to mean 'ice loving cold' regardless of the outside temperature.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NOTinuyasha posted:

My E39's climate control is hosed up. I've owned four different cars with AAC in the past five years and all worked consistently to me so I'm preety sure it's the car. There's nothing wrong with the A/C or the heat, just 60 to 80 seems to mean 'ice loving cold' regardless of the outside temperature.

Have you played with the temp wheel on the center vents on the dash? If you move it back and forth the temp should vary with the wheel. Otherwise there's most likely a blend motor that's hosed up.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Stealth Like posted:

I seem to recall some people experimenting with seafoam to see if it made any difference, and the general consensus was that it did not.
Generally, it wouldn't - at least not in the traditional "Put it in the gas tank" scenario.

The carbon build up is due to the PCV valve recirculating oily air back into the intake. Port injection mixes fuel and air, then sends it through the intake valves to the chamber. The fuel/air vapors tend to wash the back side of the valve on the way in, keeping the oily reside off the valve.

Direct injection engines only intake air (no fuel) through the valve. And PCV systems ensure that it's *oily* air. Since there's no fuel to "rinse" the back of the valve, some of the oil deposits on the valve, and eventually gets crusty and doesn't close properly, causing misfires.

Seafoam in the gas tank *also* never hits the back side of the intake valve, because it's mixed with fuel.

Walnut blasting is really the way to go, and it's dead simple (if something of a hassle) once you've bought a compressor and a shopvac rig set up to do the job. Even on a Mini...

Popete posted:

My E36 M3 runs that fan for ~7 minutes after shutdown.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 13, 2013

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pilsner posted:

That'll teach you to buy some decent original BMW wheels. :colbert: However, if you find any 5/120 wheels with a larger bore, you can always use centering rings.

It just runs for a while. I noticed it too the other day in my E39.

I've tried, oh how i've tried.

Even an oil filter for the god drat car was special order in this city.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Speaking of oil filters, I have one from my 550i. Any one interested? 5 bucks plus shipping. Its a WIX 57175. It will even fit your Rolls Royce if you have that kind of car :smug:

Fitment guide:
BMW 550I (2006 - 2010)
BMW 650CI 2006
BMW 650I (2006 - 2010)
BMW 750I (2006 - 2008)
BMW 750LI (2006 - 2008)
BMW 760I 2006
BMW 760LI (2006 - 2008)
BMW X5 (2007 - 2010)
ROLLS ROYCE PHANTOM (2004 - 2013)

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Kenny Rogers posted:

Walnut blasting is really the way to go, and it's dead simple (if something of a hassle) once you've bought a compressor and a shopvac rig set up to do the job. Even on a Mini...

Oh, I didn't realise you were taking about doing it in situ, that makes it much less of a job.

E46 question again. I changed my oil, put 5.5 litres in. Topped it up a little further after it ran for a day, maybe 200ml. On the dipstick it shows as max but about a minute after I start it, the amber oil light comes on for about 10 seconds. Amber means low level right? Should I be worried or is it a "building pressure" thing?

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure
I said goodbye to beloved 130i this week; it's gone to a good home so I'm not that upset. For anyone considering one of these I can highly recommend them. The straight six is fantastic and the car was very much understated for a hot hatch. Swap out the runflats, have the CDV deleted and maybe stick a quaife on if you like, and it's pretty much the perfect car for the young buck around town. In the UK most people are scared of big petrol engines due to poor fuel economy so they are cheap as chips too.

Like a number of others on this forum I found myself getting antsy at the demise of the e9x M3 with that wonderful V8. I had the fortune to drive one back in 2009 and since then had thought long and hard about it as an ownership prospect. The chance to grab a piece of history was fast running out so anyway I managed to order a runout LE500 model. It's the folding top one but production had already stopped on the coupes by the time I was ready to order.

I absolutely love it :getin:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Cakefool posted:

Oh, I didn't realise you were taking about doing it in situ, that makes it much less of a job.

E46 question again. I changed my oil, put 5.5 litres in. Topped it up a little further after it ran for a day, maybe 200ml. On the dipstick it shows as max but about a minute after I start it, the amber oil light comes on for about 10 seconds. Amber means low level right? Should I be worried or is it a "building pressure" thing?

If it comes on everytime you start the car, Oil lever sensor is broken.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

plecostomus posted:

I said goodbye to beloved 130i this week; it's gone to a good home so I'm not that upset. For anyone considering one of these I can highly recommend them. The straight six is fantastic and the car was very much understated for a hot hatch. Swap out the runflats, have the CDV deleted and maybe stick a quaife on if you like, and it's pretty much the perfect car for the young buck around town. In the UK most people are scared of big petrol engines due to poor fuel economy so they are cheap as chips too.

Like a number of others on this forum I found myself getting antsy at the demise of the e9x M3 with that wonderful V8. I had the fortune to drive one back in 2009 and since then had thought long and hard about it as an ownership prospect. The chance to grab a piece of history was fast running out so anyway I managed to order a runout LE500 model. It's the folding top one but production had already stopped on the coupes by the time I was ready to order.

I can totally understand this, if I had the space for another M3 I'd get a convertible too. No other reason than to listen to that engine. Speaking of which I will post some video of my exhaust mods, the car sounds positively apocalyptic now.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Crustashio posted:

If it comes on everytime you start the car, Oil lever sensor is broken.

Symptoms match, thanks. I'll get one in ready for the next oil change.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

NOTinuyasha posted:

In my Mini I could still feel a good breeze after I turned off the blower in either AC or heat. I'd have to turn it off and on a couple times to get it to stop

plecostomus
Oct 17, 2009

Toned down for your pleasure

Das Volk posted:

I can totally understand this, if I had the space for another M3 I'd get a convertible too. No other reason than to listen to that engine. Speaking of which I will post some video of my exhaust mods, the car sounds positively apocalyptic now.

Is this the "OEM" mod I've heard about or something else?

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

plecostomus posted:

The convertible is pretty awesome, sure it's 400lbs heavier, a little slower, and a little less rigid because of the lack of a fixed roof, but when it's nice and you drop the roof, you forget all of that stuff, and revel in the glory of the V8. Yours looks pretty much identical to mine, although it's a few years newer.

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4063538070.html

Anyone know any good independent BMW shops in Dallas?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Crosspost from the marketplace thread:

I came across an E36 M3 instrument cluster at the junkyard. I believe it works for any E36 but check before you buy. I have it listed for $100 on craigslist but for a goon, name your price! It's slightly damaged but other than that it looks to be in good shape. I've never seen an M3 at the junkyard; this had been installed in an E36 328i.

Listing is at:

http://southbend.craigslist.org/pts/4067862712.html

If nobody wants it I'll just return it.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Oil temp? Which cars had that instead of MPG?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Euro M3s. Note the 7600rpm redline.

...that begs the question, did you pull that from a car with an S50B30/32?

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 15, 2013

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Crustashio posted:

Euro M3s. Note the 7600rpm redline.

...that begs the question, did you pull that from a car with an S50B30/32?

I looked, it was an M52.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Did you find some test pipes?!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Definitely a Euro S50 cluster, nice find.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

Did you find some test pipes?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdyKYqb2WNM

:stare:
Yes, yes I did.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

You. Mother. F*cker. Beautiful! Still OE muffler or was that modded as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

thealphabetsez posted:

You. Mother. F*cker. Beautiful! Still OE muffler or was that modded as well?

No, just the OEM setup going back from there. Somehow it doesn't sound much at all like that inside, so no droning or excessive noise.