Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Fabricated posted:

I think it's kinda funny that the only people at the Kamogawa gym that can seem to win titles are the people who are trained exclusively by Kamogawa himself.

Sorry Itagaki/Aoki/Kimura, looks like you're pretty much screwed.

Shinoda is going to kill himself in shame :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh Itagaki is fine.

He's just never fought anyone who had scouted him to the degree that Imai had.

Itagaki didn't really take him lightly at all. He was 100% focused on the match from the start. Imai just had a strategy that he executed to perfection. Itagaki has just never had to focus on his flaws as he was able to speed rush every other one of his opponents. The only thing Itagaki needs to change from this match is to mix up his tells, and escape moves.

Itagaki is overconfident, like every Non-Ippo fighter in the series is, but he didn't look down on Imai at all.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dexo posted:

Eh Itagaki is fine.

He's just never fought anyone who had scouted him to the degree that Imai had.

Itagaki didn't really take him lightly at all. He was 100% focused on the match from the start. Imai just had a strategy that he executed to perfection. Itagaki has just never had to focus on his flaws as he was able to speed rush every other one of his opponents. The only thing Itagaki needs to change from this match is to mix up his tells, and escape moves.

Itagaki is overconfident, like every Non-Ippo fighter in the series is, but he didn't look down on Imai at all.
Totally disagree. He spent the first few seconds of the match absorbing cheers and thinking about how loving awesome he is and how hard he's going to win. That's what ended up costing him the match.

Even when Imai rushed him down and cornered him, even when he got hit on the shoulder and got his back to the corner, he didn't take anything seriously at until the moment he got fist in his liver. But at that point the match was already over.

But in the end the lesson from this fight is not that "i need to be even faster", it's that as Imai said, if he gets nailed once, if he gets held or outsmarted or out-lucked, so that he can't use his speed to run circles around the opponent, then he's got nothing. His punches are weak and he just can't take a hit at all. If it had been Ippo taking that body blow it would have been a pained grin at most and then right back to defending. If it had been Ippo (or Imai, or well anyone else really) in the corner, he would likely have managed to defend himself or get out somehow.

Basically Itagaki needs to be more than just a one-gimmick fighter or he's going to have more crushing defeats like this the moment his one gimmick doesn't work anymore. In a way this is a hard lesson for the World Stage, and Itagaki just learned it the hard way (so Ippo doesn't have to (Ippo doesn't have the one-gimmick problem though (except 'being a punching bag') but I bet it will come back to him somehow)).

Bisse fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 13, 2013

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Bisse posted:

Totally disagree. He spent the first few seconds of the match absorbing cheers and thinking about how loving awesome he is and how hard he's going to win. That's what ended up costing him the match.

Even when Imai rushed him down and cornered him, even when he got hit on the shoulder and got his back to the corner, he didn't take anything seriously at until the moment he got fist in his liver. But at that point the match was already over.

But in the end the lesson from this fight is not that "i need to be even faster", it's that as Imai said, if he gets nailed once, if he gets held or outsmarted or out-lucked, so that he can't use his speed to run circles around the opponent, then he's got nothing. His punches are weak and he just can't take a hit at all. If it had been Ippo taking that body blow it would have been a pained grin at most and then right back to defending. If it had been Ippo (or Imai, or well anyone else really) in the corner, he would likely have managed to defend himself or get out somehow.

Basically Itagaki needs to be more than just a one-gimmick fighter or he's going to have more crushing defeats like this the moment his one gimmick doesn't work anymore. In a way this is a hard lesson for the World Stage, and Itagaki just learned it the hard way (so Ippo doesn't have to).

Eh? He didn't absorb cheers besides when he first got in the Ring before Imai was introduced. As soon as they touched gloves he went back to his corner and got his mouthpiece. Imai rushed him immediately and trapped him in a corner. Itagaki was confident he could get out as he has never had a problem escaping being cornered before. Imai just had him scouted to know how he gets out of those situations, and was able to come up with a counter to it.

Being confident and charismatic doesn't mean that you are looking down on your opponent. Itagaki has just never fought anyone who has scouted him and his tendencies to the degree that Imai did, as Imai has already lost to him once.

And yeah Itagaki has to get better. But It's not like it's the end of the world. Ippo and Itagaki are completely different Boxer's Ippo couldn't dodge any of those blows and has to build his body in such a way to tank the hits.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
How can you say Itagaki took this 100% serious when there is like half a chapter where the crowd is yelling at him to stop being cocky and put his loving guard up? Calling himself Cronos is exactly why he lost.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dexo posted:

Eh? He didn't absorb cheers besides when he first got in the Ring before Imai was introduced. As soon as they touched gloves he went back to his corner and got his mouthpiece. Imai rushed him immediately and trapped him in a corner. Itagaki was confident he could get out as he has never had a problem escaping being cornered before. Imai just had him scouted to know how he gets out of those situations, and was able to come up with a counter to it.

Being confident and charismatic doesn't mean that you are looking down on your opponent. Itagaki has just never fought anyone who has scouted him and his tendencies to the degree that Imai did, as Imai has already lost to him once.

And yeah Itagaki has to get better. But It's not like it's the end of the world. Ippo and Itagaki are completely different Boxer's Ippo couldn't dodge any of those blows and has to build his body in such a way to tank the hits.
Uuh you're being a little bit stubborn here. Go back and read the chapters, look at Itagaki's smug face and him taking in the cheers. Then when the bell rings Imai has time to rush all the way across the arena and plant his feet, Itagaki's coach has to yell "he's already here!" for him to wake up and realize what's going on. That's not normal, when the bell rings you wake the gently caress up and turn to your opponent, so that that exact scenario doesn't have a chance of happening. Unless you think there's no way you can lose (ding) and you're too busy thinking about how awesome you're going to look like when you win (ding) to pay attention. And that is the most extreme example of being smug and overconfident that I can possibly think of.

And the point isn't if Imai was prepared or not, because anyone going up in a title match is going to prepare and study his opponent. The point is that Itagaki really has nothing else to bring to the ring than his speed, and if he can't use it, or if it doesn't work, then he's got nothing. It is very bad for Itagaki because now that he's facing opponents that can handle it, he just needs to make one mistake and the match is over. It's a wake-up call to develop your other aspects, and also to start taking your opponents seriously.

Really, the match could also have went on for 5 rounds before Imai landed that hit, but this way it makes for a much better read and a much harder lesson for Itagaki.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

After the defeat Itagaki suffered, I'm really excited for the next fight. There's been a lot of foreshadowing that Ippo may lose and I'm glad this one is just about wrapped up so we can get to the next bout. I hope they do a bit of character development with Itagaki though. Like some others have said, he's gotten super cocky.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rainbow Pony Deluxe posted:

How can you say Itagaki took this 100% serious when there is like half a chapter where the crowd is yelling at him to stop being cocky and put his loving guard up? Calling himself Cronos is exactly why he lost.

Haha You missed like 4 pages of that chapter.

It was Takamura, not the Crowd. And Itagaki had his guard down as a part of his strategy to use a counter to escape. Itagaki was 100% focused he just legit lost. Chalking it up to Itagaki not taking it seriously downplays the strategy that Imai used.

Also, Itagaki didn't create the Chronos name it was the ring announcer.

Edit:

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1027/2042/5

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1027/2042/6

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1027/2042/7

Imai just didn't take the Bait.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Sep 13, 2013

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dexo posted:

Being confident and charismatic doesn't mean that you are looking down on your opponent.

He literally laughs off Imai in the pre-match warm-up. Imai, the guy who made a habit of beating the poo poo out of him before they were pros. Imai, the guy he beat once in a decision match that left Imai perfectly fine and Itagaki in the hospital. That he only won in the first place because Imai looked down on him. He actually thinks of himself as "the Speed King" in his own head. There's also all his rape face moments when he thinks about fighting Ippo. He absolutely buys into himself as a great boxer, he absolutely looks down on other people. As we've seen, he's not a great boxer. He's a stupid, prideful kid with one neat trick. He goes fast. Take that away and he has nothing.

And it's not like his pride is some new thing, it cost him his first loss too. He never gets the point that he's not as good as he thinks he is, and now he's not going to be the champion because of it. Imai got the point that even this kid he regularly beat could rise up and take him if he drops his guard, so he set out to never drop his guard again. You know why Itagaki lost this fight? He counted on being faster than Imai, so he dropped his guard to setup a counter. If he didn't, Imai would have run out of stamina and Itagaki probably gets out of the corner and can make it a fight from there. The metaphor made explicit, he drops his guard and loses. If he accepted "Imai is a bruiser and I've taken a lot of damage, I need to weather this and get out of the corner" he might have won. Instead he gets the first part, and goes with "I'm the speed king though, I'll just leave myself open and beat him to the punch" for the end.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
He did the creepy face to Ippo like, one or two times, when the manga was at its absolute worst. Like if that's the worst thing you can remember inbetween Ippo getting smacked around by a man's unlaced boxing glove for ten chapters and Japanese Champion Ippo Makunouchi being elated at being able to have landed a punch on the rookie who spent 6 rounds beating him into the ground, you're a stronger, more patient person than me. I strongly prefer Itagaki's annoying carefree attitude and stupid puns to Ippo's two modes of frowny self-doubt / intense I-MUST-WIN-PRAISE-FROM-KAMOGAWA stand there and get hit routine.

I kinda just wanted him to win the title inoffensively so we could go on with the main story. We're almost certainly gonna get a month of Itagaki standing with his back turned to Ippo as the wind caresses both of them now, and after that humiliation he'll need to build up his reputation again, so we're probably in for 2 or 3 more teleporty fights. And this is on top of every other plot point we have. Ippo's fights, Takamura, Aoki getting revenge on that dude who nearly killed him. We had to watch Itagaki get built up in really bad fights for years, so that he can be completely demolished in 30 seconds, so that in a year or two from now he can maybe be where he was at 5 chapters ago.

Idunno guys! Maybe I'm just a dumb Itagaki lover!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dude are you serious?

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1023/2020/4
Listening to the crowd with a smile and then showing off.

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1023/2020/13
Waving to the crowd.

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1023/2020/15
http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1023/2020/16
Imai puts his mouthpiece in and gets ready for the bell. Itagaki... punches the corner bag, and thinks about how hard he's going to win, with his back towards his opponent.

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1024/2022/9
http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1024/2022/10
The coach reacting to the opponent approaching before the boxer does. And he doesn't even realize his mistake! Instead of at least thinking "whoops" or "oh, I need to handle this situation" his thoughts are going like "Got it! I am totally focused, i'm in the loving zone, you're so slow look how slow you are." He doesn't even realize what is going on!

And finally look at the way he goes down in the end - after having taken more than a dozen close-range bodyblows, he still thinks he's the king, he has absolutely no idea about his own limitations, he thinks he can do whatever he wants, and because of that he makes a stupid decision and goes out in the worst way possible.

The simple facts are: He lost the game the moment he got the first punch to the gut. He got punched in the gut because he wasn't ready in the first seconds when the match started, and then he didn't take his opponent seriously.

He lost because he was too smug and overconfident. Just the way we all wanted it to happen.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Simoom posted:

He did the creepy face to Ippo like, one or two times, when the manga was at its absolute worst. Like if that's the worst thing you can remember inbetween Ippo getting smacked around by a man's unlaced boxing glove for ten chapters and Japanese Champion Ippo Makunouchi being elated at being able to have landed a punch on the rookie who spent 6 rounds beating him into the ground, you're a stronger, more patient person than me. I strongly prefer Itagaki's annoying carefree attitude and stupid puns to Ippo's two modes of frowny self-doubt / intense I-MUST-WIN-PRAISE-FROM-KAMOGAWA stand there and get hit routine.

I kinda just wanted him to win the title inoffensively so we could go on with the main story. We're almost certainly gonna get a month of Itagaki standing with his back turned to Ippo as the wind caresses both of them now, and after that humiliation he'll need to build up his reputation again, so we're probably in for 2 or 3 more teleporty fights. And this is on top of every other plot point we have. Ippo's fights, Takamura, Aoki getting revenge on that dude who nearly killed him. We had to watch Itagaki get built up in really bad fights for years, so that he can be completely demolished in 30 seconds, so that in a year or two from now he can maybe be where he was at 5 chapters ago.

Idunno guys! Maybe I'm just a dumb Itagaki lover!
I didn't really mind him until his dumb speed became "I can vanish into thin air!" dumb, all the while he's talking and speaking about how awesome he was. The kicker was his latest fight against Saeki where he was basically the bad guy. I don't really mind his attitude, it's when you combine it with his retarded speed that never loving ends and never loses to anything that he became annoying.

These chapters feel good not only because his smug face got what's coming but also because finally someone has a way to counter his stupid bonkers SpeedOfSound "fighting style" which was getting dreadful to watch and were the exact opposite to what I like in this manga. Finally we get to see the weaknesses and drawbacks of focusing only on speed and focus. I'm happy not only because he kind of got what's coming but also because this is basically confirmation that intelligent, well-rounded, experienced fighters are in the end going to come out on top of stupid gimmick poo poo like this so we can have more fights like Mike vs Volg instead of dumb poo poo like Woli vs Ippo and Itagaki vs Anyone.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah I get where you're coming from for sure. The Saeki fight was the worst fight in recent memory. Aside from maybe when Ippo fought that guy and they stared at each other for the first four chapters or so. I just don't have the same faith as you I guess, cuz I think of a smart, well-rounded, experienced fighter, and all I can picture is Ippo or Takamura punching him in the face after being dominated for ten rounds. :(

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Simoom posted:

Yeah I get where you're coming from for sure. The Saeki fight was the worst fight in recent memory. Aside from maybe when Ippo fought that guy and they stared at each other for the first four chapters or so. I just don't have the same faith as you I guess, cuz I think of a smart, well-rounded, experienced fighter, and all I can picture is Ippo or Takamura punching him in the face after being dominated for ten rounds. :(
When I think of a smart, well-rounded, experienced fighter I think Mike, Ippo (though Ippo is smart more in terms of how to use his body rather than battler tactician), Imai, Volg, etc. I'm thinking the kind of well-rounded boxer who needs to use positioning, mindgames, blocks and counters at the right moment to win, so there's some actual logic and tension to the fights, is way preferable to Itagaki/Woli, of course each fighter is always going to have differences and their own strengths but at least it's not boxing magic like those two.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Simoom posted:

If we're thinking of the same fight, I legitimately liked the Ippo fight of him just staring the opponent down. It was stupid, but it was a change of pace from the "I will block your fists with my face" style Ippo usually employs. It just went on too long with nothing happening.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bisse posted:

Dude are you serious?

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1023/2020/4
Listening to the crowd with a smile and then showing off.

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1023/2020/13
Waving to the crowd.

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1023/2020/15
http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1023/2020/16
Imai puts his mouthpiece in and gets ready for the bell. Itagaki... punches the corner bag, and thinks about how hard he's going to win, with his back towards his opponent.

http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1024/2022/9
http://readms.com/r/hajime_no_ippo/1024/2022/10
The coach reacting to the opponent approaching before the boxer does. And he doesn't even realize his mistake! Instead of at least thinking "whoops" or "oh, I need to handle this situation" his thoughts are going like "Got it! I am totally focused, i'm in the loving zone, you're so slow look how slow you are." He doesn't even realize what is going on!

And finally look at the way he goes down in the end - after having taken more than a dozen close-range bodyblows, he still thinks he's the king, he has absolutely no idea about his own limitations, he thinks he can do whatever he wants, and because of that he makes a stupid decision and goes out in the worst way possible.

The simple facts are: He lost the game the moment he got the first punch to the gut. He got punched in the gut because he wasn't ready in the first seconds when the match started, and then he didn't take his opponent seriously.

He lost because he was too smug and overconfident. Just the way we all wanted it to happen.

The end of chapter 1024 literally says "Overconfidence Kills!"

Estel
May 4, 2010
Like i said :smuggo: :sotw: :frogout:

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
Jesus guys chill out with your rabid hate of a fake person.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Chaos341 posted:

Jesus guys chill out with your rabid hate of a fake person.
TBH it's a very good writer who can make you care so much about a character, even if the feeling is hatred.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Bisse posted:

TBH it's a very good writer who can make you care so much about a character, even if the feeling is hatred.

Does it count if the writer didn't do it on purpose? I'm fairly sure we're supposed to find Itagaki endearing.

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

McNerd posted:

Does it count if the writer didn't do it on purpose? I'm fairly sure we're supposed to find Itagaki endearing.

Now you're just trying to find reasons to be upset.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Y'know, I've never really thought about how Mori wants us to feel about Itagaki. I mean, he is supposed to eventually fight Ippo.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yes, just like Miyata!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

McNerd posted:

I'm fairly sure we're supposed to find Itagaki endearing.
I'm set on disagreeing because of the Saeki fight in which Itagaki was basically set up as the bad guy.

Estel
May 4, 2010
I think Mori hates Itagaki too, in this fight he was the bad guy too. Like i said in one of the spoilers when the fight started Imai = Ippo and Itagaki = chump beaten by Ippo.

4533josh
Jan 14, 2012
Guys we're forgetting that Itagaki promised that he'd introduce his sister to Imai if he lost their next fight.
Romantic sub-plots guys! Guys?

But this defeat was telegraphed about 10 chapters ago.
Firstly, Itagaki's overconfidence in his normal strategy - He doesn't care who he's fighting for the Japanese belt.
And secondly, He doesn't give a poo poo that it's Imai, and we have the bitter vet Aoki making a sound judgement on his attitude.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Simoom posted:

Y'know, I've never really thought about how Mori wants us to feel about Itagaki. I mean, he is supposed to eventually fight Ippo.
I dunno if it'd be an interesting fight at this point considering how many waify artful dodger types Ippo has caved in the eyesockets of at this point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If Imai is really supposed to be Ippo then Itagaki will end up like all of Ippo's opponents and become a cripple

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Itagaki has yet to soundly beat low budget Ippo, he's never going to fight the real thing.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
In honor of Itagaki's defeat and in anticipation of tonight's historic boxing match I'd thought I'd post a little link that shows how a real life "out fighter" manage to survive even when trapped in a corner.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/13/4721072/Mayweather-vs-alvarez-technical-analysis-boxing-preview

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New Chapter

Well, that's not taking it too bad. He gave his rival a fist bump and wasn't bummed he was so awesome, but because he thinks he disappointed his role model. :unsmith:

Of course Imai has to say that Itagaki is so talented that if hadn't done the psychological damage of this win he probably wouldn't ever be able to beat him again sooooo the whole Itagaki being the Neo of Japanese boxing thing is still there.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Well at least he took the lost better than I thought. Yeah the fact he was more disappointing in not backing up his promise does kinda suck but hopefully with this he can learn he can't just rely on his speed.
Oh who I am kidding.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 15, 2013

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Hopefully, the plot moves forward and this manga ends.

Opter
Jul 8, 2010
Maybe this has been mentioned (and maybe I'm just clueless about how things work) but doesn't it seem a little bias to have a guest commentator from the same gym as two big fighters in the event?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eustace posted:

In honor of Itagaki's defeat and in anticipation of tonight's historic boxing match I'd thought I'd post a little link that shows how a real life "out fighter" manage to survive even when trapped in a corner.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/9/13/4721072/Mayweather-vs-alvarez-technical-analysis-boxing-preview

Christ, it's inhuman how fast some of these guys are able to dodge/block punches. It's one of those rare situations where the comic seems to actually understate how fast/accurate people are in real life.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

1030 is out http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hajime-no-Ippo/1030?id=175452

Not gonna lie, the 2 panels of him and the coach in the room are some of the best I've seen from this manga in a long time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is the first match of Ippo's in a really long time where I'm legitimately uncertain about how things will play out.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

This is the first match of Ippo's in a really long time where I'm legitimately uncertain about how things will play out.

We're either going to see him bust out the new dempsey roll or get his rear end beat like a rented mule. Either way, good times.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's kinda looking to me like Ippo will kick the poo poo out of this guy after the inevitable beating he'll receive because he's Ippo and he almost never ends a match without looking like he fell in a wood chipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fabricated posted:

It's kinda looking to me like Ippo will kick the poo poo out of this guy after the inevitable beating he'll receive because he's Ippo and he almost never ends a match without looking like he fell in a wood chipper.

I kinda thought that too but re-read up to the loss to Date and it's pretty apparent that Ippo got a shitload better at defense (relatively) after that fight.