Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

You know, there might have a different reason for that KO happening other than un-eviling Jade: If she's knocked out, she's going to be headed for a DreamBubble. But almost everyone worth talking to right now is already in the session and awake.

The list of people Jade could talk to right now and that still have some role to play in the plot seems pretty short:

- Vriska
- Tavros
- Aradia
- Sollux
- Calliope
- Meenah

And I really wouldn't mind a good Jade pesterlog with any of those characters right now. Hell, why have we never gotten a Vriska / Jade pesterlog? They're both very clever girls who are willing to take shortcuts to get things done. The main different between them is morality, and Jade just spent some time without that...

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How clever is Vriska really?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, I'd say decently clever. Not as clever as she thinks, of course, but she did manage to have a lot of irons in the fires in Act 5 there. I'd compare her manipulation of the Dersites with Jade's use of exiles to deliver mail.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I genuinely miss Vriskachat and her antics from Act 5.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

If Jade's due for a K.O. nap, maybe she and Meenah will be able to get together on what could stop Aranea, since her plan seems to have gone a little astray.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Haha, that's not a just death is it? Otherwise people are gonna be really, really mad (and my girlfriend won't stop shrieking).

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
What is even with this family and dying all the time.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I don't know that this will 'stick', but if it does people are gonna be really mad at this internet webcomic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh, poo poo, son. This... actually might work. It's hard to qualify if it's 'heroic' or 'just', but it's definitely in a grey area where all possibilities could be done.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

No way is that Just or Heroic, but I'm sure Aranea has to be aware of that, right? Or is she so self-deluded she thinks it'll be permanent?

Either way, she certainly bought herself a bit of time with that move. We know those resurrections don't happen right away, so she better make her move quick if she's got some big plan.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

rear end-Haggis posted:

Haha, that's not a just death is it? Otherwise people are gonna be really, really mad (and my girlfriend won't stop shrieking).

God dammit, *I* can't stop shrieking

And hell, if it's not heroic or just it sure as hell is poetic. I'd be okay with this assuming Aranea is creating some grand doomed timeline.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
There is absolutely no way that counts as a heroic or just death. That said, the amount of time it takes for a god-tier player to resurrect is something of a gray area, so Aranea has given herself some time to work with now either way.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
It's funny to think back to early 2011 when the deaths really started piling up in this comic and being worried about it. Now I see Jade die, and I just laugh at the SBaHJ refrance.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Oh man I can't believe I got here right at the start of Araneatime! Who else is going to die? Jane? John? Karkat? I sincerely hope Aranea kills every Homestuck character in a clusterfuck of insanity. It'll be Vriskatime 24/7! :allears:

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
GOD. DAMNIT.
I thought there was gonna be a new SBAHJ page with that link :sbahj:
also booo jade's dead and it's probably gonna be just because it keeps her from being evil

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Even if this kills Jade for good, Jane can revive anyone once.

Edit: Unless she dies too. :getin:

Boneless Jogger fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 14, 2013

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Holy poo poo, Areana.

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
The most important thing about a potential conversation between Meenah and Jane is what fish pun will be used.

My money is on Harleybut.

fake edit: :stare:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Triskelli posted:

God dammit, *I* can't stop shrieking

And hell, if it's not heroic or just it sure as hell is poetic. I'd be okay with this assuming Aranea is creating some grand doomed timeline.

That isn't poetic at all, it is just referencing a well known pop culture thing.

And yeah, I don't see this sticking. After all there are at least two players who can undo this event altogether, even assuming Jade doesn't just wake up on her own because having a building fall on you while you are unconscious is neither Just nor Heroic.

Dave may not want to use time travel any more due to all the headaches that trying to avoid creating a beta timeline cause, but if he gets the message that creating a beta timeline is exactly what Aranea intends to do then he'd probably change his mind if it means making Jade not die. And John can basically do whatever the hell he wants with the timeline at this point and his actions are beyond even Aranea's ability to plan for.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I'm not sure if that death is Just or Heroic (scratch that: I know it's not heroic, I doubt it's just-- Aranea has no personal pathos or axe to grind with Jade), but I imagine burying somebody under a ton of rubble is going to make resurrection difficult. What I imagine is gonna happen is Jade's gonna stay dead until somebody gets the giant pile of rubble off her (similarly, I imagine if she'd died in the lava she'd stay dead until somebody pulled her bones out of it Wolverine style).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many fairytale references is Jade hitting right now anyway? I know she's got the Big Bad Wolf (and Grandma at the same time!) from Little Red Riding Hood, And there was the whole Wizard of Oz thing since [S]Cascade, anything else?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Welp. With those stocking, it was pretty much inevitable that Jade would get a house dropped on her at some point, but I didn't think it would be now.

Cabbit posted:

I'm not sure if that death is Just or Heroic (scratch that: I know it's not heroic, I doubt it's just-- Aranea has no personal pathos or axe to grind with Jade), but I imagine burying somebody under a ton of rubble is going to make resurrection difficult. What I imagine is gonna happen is Jade's gonna stay dead until somebody gets the giant pile of rubble off her (similarly, I imagine if she'd died in the lava she'd stay dead until somebody pulled her bones out of it Wolverine style).

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. I think they pulled something similar to this in the Highlander tv show? They wanted an immortal out of the way for a while without killing him, so they fitted him with cement shoes and dropped in him the ocean. Took him a long, long time to walk back to shore, drowning, resurrecting, taking a couple steps, drowning...

edit: Even if this was a Just death through some bullshit, Jane still has one-time rez powers.

Tollymain posted:

How many fairytale references is Jade hitting right now anyway? I know she's got the Big Bad Wolf (and Grandma at the same time!) from Little Red Riding Hood, And there was the whole Wizard of Oz thing since [S]Cascade, anything else?

Maybe throw in some Neverending Story? The villain's chief minion being a wolf and all...

edit2: Thank you, tumblr for reminding me:

quote:

"THE WITCH ALSO DIES FROM HER INJURIES."
"AS A RESULT OF ALL THAT. THE ROBOT GOES CRAZY."

Aranea did just get done saying how much Jane values her family...

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 14, 2013

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I thought that the drawing of Aranea as Lucy Van Pelt in OpenBound was just a throw-away joke, but here we see her connected to Lucy again. And in appearance and attitude, there are certainly parallels enough. But I am not a big fan of trying to describe characters or predict their actions by taking a parallel. Because if we get into that, we start having to figure out whether Jade is Snoopy, John is Charlie Brown, etcetera. But still, after all that DragonBall Z, I wouldn't mind the comic riffing on Peanuts a little bit.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Can't Jane just use the lifey thing on Jade?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

WAR FOOT posted:

Can't Jane just use the lifey thing on Jade?
Yes, in the extremely off chance that Jade actually stays dead.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Yeah, I don't think being crushed while KO'd and mind controlled allows for either possibility. This is most likely just to get her out of the picture for a bit in time for Areana's Jake-based coup

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Cabbit posted:

Eh, I don't know about that. Dave and Rose resurrected right out of a sun that has the equivalent mass of two universes. I think Jade can resurrect out of a building just fine.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

lotus circle posted:

Eh, I don't know about that. Dave and Rose resurrected right out of a sun that has the equivalent mass of two universes. I think Jade can resurrect out of a building just fine.
That was their initially going god tier, not them resurrecting after dying as god tiers. DIfferent rules may apply.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

lotus circle posted:

Based on my extensive (lack of) astrophysics expertise, I'm going to surmise a nebulous energy ball is probably easier to push through than tons of rubble. Plus, it looked cool.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I'm quite certain that this death is neither just nor heroic, so we'll be getting our Jade back via the normal god tier mechanism. It's just it seems unlikely to happen while Jade's got a house on her, so she's out of the picture for now. Bonus fist shake at Hussie for making me feel bad about chuckling at the inevitable Wizard of Oz gag, too.

One thing that's puzzling me. I must've missed something here, but where did Aranea get such incredible telekinetic powers? I thought the Serket thing was mind control? She's Sylph of Light so that doesn't seem to fit the Lightey Thing, either.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

More likely mind controlling dead Damaras, like before.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

WAR FOOT posted:

More likely mind controlling dead Damaras, like before.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. That's what I get for posting first thing in the morning, I suppose.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
We already know John has the power to fix timelines that are deliberately hosed up, like he did with himself interrupting the meeting between Jade and Dave. There is precisely 0% chance that John doesn't undo Arenea's plan. This is also how he will get his ring back to give to Roxy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Seoinin posted:

"I'll leave you with four words -
I glad Harley dead"
- Eazy E

Well gently caress me.

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
I looked for a faded pop icon in the background and there wasn't any. This is why I think this death will clear up with any of the available band aids.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Can someone remind me why Aranea's actually doing anything? I genuinely have forgotten already.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's amusing that in light of this development, the main topic of discussion is how Jade will be resurrected.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Can someone remind me why Aranea's actually doing anything? I genuinely have forgotten already.

She explains here.

The short version is that she intends to create a doomed timeline where Caliborn is never born, and then use Light Powers to turn that into the alpha timeline.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

frozentreasure posted:

Her answer: to create a doomed timeline where English never existed, so she can use her advanced Sylph of Light powers to heal the doomed timeline and make it the alpha one.

Real answer: she has done a loving acrobatic pirouette off the deep end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Mother loving Serkets.