Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I would be happy if I could search for a movie and have it tell me which of the streaming and/or rental services it is available on. Kind of like canistream.it, but built in.

This. This is the only function I really want added to aTV. I don't care if I have to use my iPhone/iPad, the dinky remote, or some built in Siri thing to access it, but even having it search Netflix and iTunes at the same time would be loving sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So how likely is Siri integration into Apple TV? On the one hand, it seems like it could work, but on the other hand it just doesn't seem like Apple cares enough about AppleTV to implement it.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Mahoning posted:

So how likely is Siri integration into Apple TV? On the one hand, it seems like it could work, but on the other hand it just doesn't seem like Apple cares enough about AppleTV to implement it.

Am I going to talk into my remote? Because I don't use it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Am I going to talk into my remote? Because I don't use it.

I think you'd be more likely to use an app on your phone/idevice to do it.

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008
How difficult is getting plex set up for someone with no experience in router port wizardry stuff? Does it even work anymore with the recent update?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

puppy party posted:

How difficult is getting plex set up for someone with no experience in router port wizardry stuff? Does it even work anymore with the recent update?

It WAS really easy. After the update it got downgraded to "fairly easy".

I'm kind of a noob at these things and I got it figured out within an attempt or two...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

It WAS really easy. After the update it got downgraded to "fairly easy".

I'm kind of a noob at these things and I got it figured out within an attempt or two...

I think the main barrier of entry now is that you're required to actually have the mini-usb cable to upload the certificates, which is kind of a pain in the rear end because I can't seem to find the one loving cable I had.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I think the main barrier of entry now is that you're required to actually have the mini-usb cable to upload the certificates, which is kind of a pain in the rear end because I can't seem to find the one loving cable I had.

How do you not have like 8 billion of each kind of micro & mini usb?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Feenix posted:

Every time I move a piece of furniture in my house I find another one...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

As I started using more and more Apple devices, I'd give them away/loan them/lose them and never actually replaced them. I'm pretty sure I ended up giving my last one to my girlfriend because it worked with her Samsung phone.

10-8
Oct 2, 2003

Level 14 Bureaucrat
Amazon just updated its iOS streaming app to allow Airplay to the Apple TV. I'm pretty sure that HBO previously did the same shortly before releasing a native Apple TV solution.

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!
Amazon prime airplay is the best news I've heard all week. I almost bought a roku on woot just for that feature. I'm happy I forgot to go and do so yesterday!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

10-8 posted:

Amazon just updated its iOS streaming app to allow Airplay to the Apple TV. I'm pretty sure that HBO previously did the same shortly before releasing a native Apple TV solution.

How nice of them to join the rest of us in 2013.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

10-8 posted:

I think I am going to cry. :qq:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So then this is a sign that the Apple TV software is getting updated tomorrow with an Amazon app?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Mahoning posted:

So then this is a sign that the Apple TV software is getting updated tomorrow with an Amazon app?

No way to know until they push the update out.

Since its a major update, and not just loading some new channels, I'm hoping its not pushed automatically in. Because it'll certainly break plex connect again and I'm not terribly fond of that thought.

That being said, I would LOVE an Amazon Prime app!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
What makes Amazon Prime more major than the last silent update that installed a bunch of new streaming apps?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

haveblue posted:

What makes Amazon Prime more major than the last silent update that installed a bunch of new streaming apps?

If you have Amazon Prime it gives you access to 100's of movies for free, it's a really good selection. It also gives you another avenue to rent and buy movies and TV shows that aren't necessarily available on Netflix, Hulu, or iTunes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I mean, technologically. Whether an update is silent or not doesn't depend on the amount of content it provides, just on whether the device needs to make changes to the underlying OS and reboot afterward. Apple's already shown they're capable of silently installing streaming apps that point to new content, so unless Amazon is hooked much deeper into the system than I'm imagining it may not necessarily be a prompted update.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CaptainCrunch posted:

No way to know until they push the update out.

Since its a major update, and not just loading some new channels, I'm hoping its not pushed automatically in. Because it'll certainly break plex connect again and I'm not terribly fond of that thought.

That being said, I would LOVE an Amazon Prime app!

It's actually not certain to break plex again since A) they can't have possibly reacted fast enough to the new workaround and B) umm I guess I really only had an A)...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

haveblue posted:

It probably doesn't require an update, but there is an actual software update coming, so what they're saying is that the Amazon app might come along with that. I'd like it to happen, but this is based on nothing but them adding airplay support, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

adreaminsound
Jun 22, 2004

Am I not the ravager, the devourer of worlds? Am I not Galactus!?!

haveblue posted:

I mean, technologically. Whether an update is silent or not doesn't depend on the amount of content it provides, just on whether the device needs to make changes to the underlying OS and reboot afterward. Apple's already shown they're capable of silently installing streaming apps that point to new content, so unless Amazon is hooked much deeper into the system than I'm imagining it may not necessarily be a prompted update.

I think they said a new OS version is coming out for iOS 7 compatibility and enhanced airplay support. Amazon isn't the major update but it could be packaged along with the full OS update tomorrow.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ah, OK, that does make sense then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Weren't we expecting a firmware update today?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Weren't we expecting a firmware update today?
I'm guessing it will come with Mavericks.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

CygnusTM posted:

I'm guessing it will come with Mavericks.

Or the rumored Apple set top box launch.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

I'm not seeing any reason to wait for a Mavericks release. All the new functionality revolves around Bluetooth, right? Or am I missing something key that's been in the betas?

Also why do they allow for beta downloads for devs only when there's no dev kit for Apple TV? :psyduck:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I've heard crazy rumours but I thought we're just going to see an iOS7 style update, selectable background and music purchases from the ATV. There are other new features but they are pretty minor.

An update timed after the new ATV and when the music purchasing goes online makes sense.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I'm kind of in a bind here. I don't have cable and have been using my iPhone 4S and the HDMI hookup for it to watch things like HBO Go (because my generous sister lets me use her Xfinity login). So tomorrow I'm getting a new iPhone which will render my 30-pin HDMI adapter useless. I've been planning on getting an Apple TV but was going to wait for the new model. But considering noone knows when it will be released, I don't know if I should buy now or not.

So my choices are:

1) Buy Apple TV now and hope that I can sell it when the new one comes out (if I like it/want it)
2) Buy a Lightning to HDMI adapter for $50.
3) Watch TV on my phone and laptop and hope that the new Apple TV comes out soon

Anyone have any ideas? Would it be easy to sell the Apple TV if a new one comes out in a month? Or is there a retailer that sells it with a decently long return policy?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
4) Keep your old phone and use it only for watching HBO Go over wifi. Activating a new phone doesn't totally brick your old one, it just gets kicked off the cellular network and remains fully functional in every other way.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

haveblue posted:

4) Keep your old phone and use it only for watching HBO Go over wifi. Activating a new phone doesn't totally brick your old one, it just gets kicked off the cellular network and remains fully functional in every other way.

Ahhh, should have clarified, I'm selling the old one to subsidize the cost of the new one. Thanks though.

This does give me an idea about using my girlfriend's iPod Touch though....but that would be a last resort since she would probably be pissed about it.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Note that current-gen Apple TVs are only $75 + tax refurbed: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A/refurbished-apple-tv

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

cbirdsong posted:

Note that current-gen Apple TVs are only $75 + tax refurbed: http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD199LL/A/refurbished-apple-tv

I bought one a month or so ago and it's been 100% perfect. I love Apple refurbs!

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
Apple TV gets iTunes Radio, AirPlay from iCloud and more with latest software update

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/20/apple-tv-gets-itunes-radio-airplay-from-icloud-and-more/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What's airplay from iCloud :raise:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
AirPlay From iCloud, an upgrade to Apple’s AirPlay wireless-streaming software that allows people who have purchased content from Apple’s iTunes store to play that same content on other Apple TVs.

http://allthingsd.com/20130920/apple-updates-apple-tv-with-airplay-from-icloud-itunes-radio/?mod=tweet

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Does Netflix support multiple profiles thanks to this update or not yet?

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

ZeeBoi posted:

It already does.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

The AppleTV supported multiple profiles almost from the moment it was announced. :?:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Never happened on my Apple TV :|

• Locked thread