Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nask26 posted:

Do many people still open up extra lines for upgrades? I know financially it makes no sense but my wife's phone is destroyed and paying 650 for a new iPhone would be tough right now. We are a year out from being upgrade eligible. This would only be $10 more a month right? Plus the cost of the upgrade.

Ask Apple what they will charge you for a replacement first.
AT&T can do an upgrade now and get you that $650 phone for $450.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

obeyasia posted:

Ask Apple what they will charge you for a replacement first.
AT&T can do an upgrade now and get you that $650 phone for $450.

My store will bump an upgrade for Next, so its worth asking if a store would make an exception upgrade for that. Mileage will vary on that one.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

My store will bump an upgrade for Next, so its worth asking if a store would make an exception upgrade for that. Mileage will vary on that one.

How far out, it of curiosity? I'm in a similar boat as the other guy, year from an upgrade, and I'd suck it up and go next for that.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

This doesn't work with unlimited data right? It was a galaxy S3 but she hated it and wants to go back to an iPhone. ( sorry I worded that funny originally )

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

How far out, it of curiosity? I'm in a similar boat as the other guy, year from an upgrade, and I'd suck it up and go next for that.

A year ish out give or take. Again, that's what our store offers, its via override so mileage will vary.

And it wouldn't matter what the plan is.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

A year ish out give or take. Again, that's what our store offers, its via override so mileage will vary.

And it wouldn't matter what the plan is.

Our manager wont do that at all. However my old manager had something called "Credits Fest." Once a month, he really didn't care and let us free reign on closer tools. Typically to call back old customer to get them to buy. But we used it for everyone.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Beefstorm posted:

Our manager wont do that at all. However my old manager had something called "Credits Fest." Once a month, he really didn't care and let us free reign on closer tools. Typically to call back old customer to get them to buy. But we used it for everyone.

Any better time of month to try this?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Maneki Neko posted:

Any better time of month to try this?

Always better to try at the beginning of the month or the end of the month. Beginning of the month managers have discount and credit power reset, but they may want to save it. End of the month Managers are about to have it reset. So they either have tons left over and are willing to use it (depending on the manager) or they have used too much and aren't willing to budge. YMMV when it comes to credits and discounts.

Remember, the easiest way to get a discount is to buy a strategic product. AKA, tablets, home phones, mifi. The most guaranteed way to get it is to go in there and buy digital life. But just remember that nothing is 100%.

Also, take all of this with a grain of salt. Every market has different rules. Only very recently, when we basically weren't allowed to call customer care anymore for anything, has my market been able to issue credits without getting in trouble.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 11, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Remember, the easiest way to get a discount is to buy a strategic product. AKA, tablets, home phones, mifi. The most guaranteed way to get it is to go in there and buy digital life. But just remember that nothing is 100%.

I'm guessing your market is different, none of those are strategic products anymore, Next is now what they are focused on (and digital life).

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm guessing your market is different, none of those are strategic products anymore, Next is now what they are focused on (and digital life).

Well my ARSM just kind of has a flavor of the week for what he rides us on. Currently its NEXT.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Currently its NEXT.

This is our entire market focus for the month. Pretty sure people focus on it to avoid thinking about digital life.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Duckman2008 posted:

This is our entire market focus for the month. Pretty sure people focus on it to avoid thinking about digital life.

I have one out so far!!!! It's to my coworker, BUT IT STILL COUNTS!

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

I was in a COR store back in 2010, and was informed that they couldn't assist me since my account was through Premier. Is this standard? Or is this something that has changed since then?

Basically, I don't want to spend 10+ hours (over the course of a week) on the phone with Premier for the third year in a row trying to work out account upgrade issues. I'd rather talk to someone in person.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Kruxy posted:

I was in a COR store back in 2010, and was informed that they couldn't assist me since my account was through Premier. Is this standard? Or is this something that has changed since then?

Basically, I don't want to spend 10+ hours (over the course of a week) on the phone with Premier for the third year in a row trying to work out account upgrade issues. I'd rather talk to someone in person.

If the account is over 100 lines or a government account, COR can't help you. Otherwise there should be no problem. However reps still have to go through departments that don't operate on weekends and have butt hours. SO keep that in mind if they aren't able to help you right that exact moment.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 13, 2013

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Nask26 posted:

Do many people still open up extra lines for upgrades? I know financially it makes no sense but my wife's phone is destroyed and paying 650 for a new iPhone would be tough right now. We are a year out from being upgrade eligible. This would only be $10 more a month right? Plus the cost of the upgrade.

Have you thought about buying a used iPhone, or a prepaid smartphone like the Lumia 520 for $99? Does she have to have the latest and greatest for this year?

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!
If I have an employer discount and want to move to one of the mobile share family plan things (let's say the 10GB one) will I receive the % discount just on the $120 for the plan or will I get it for each additional $30 smartphone I add too? If it matters I'll have four smartphones on the plan potentially. Just trying to estimate cost if I switch. Thanks!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Just off the data portion. The line access charge is never discounted.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Beefstorm posted:

If the account is over 100 lines or a government account, COR can't help you. Otherwise there should be no problem. However reps still have to go through departments that don't operate on weekends and have butt hours. SO keep that in mind if they aren't able to help you right that exact moment.

Thanks! Yeah I think it may have been on a Saturday when I was in there but I'm not certain since it was three years ago.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Am I the only one thinking about quitting because of this new comp plan? It is the 14th of September and MyComp says $184. I love AT&T but this is stupid...

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Beefstorm posted:

Am I the only one thinking about quitting because of this new comp plan? It is the 14th of September and MyComp says $184. I love AT&T but this is stupid...

I won't quit because I've been getting tuition reimbursement. But I'm really done with retail mentally. No challenges, ridiculous directives, etc..

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

obeyasia posted:

I won't quit because I've been getting tuition reimbursement. But I'm really done with retail mentally. No challenges, ridiculous directives, etc..

I don't work for ATT, but the worst part of every retail jobs for me are the menial "standups", where people circlejerk nonstop. Every meeting/standup is essentially "do better, sell more. we're at 120%? not good enough, need 130%"

Finally getting more LTE in suburbs of Houston. Surprised it's taking them this long. I still can not recieve/make a phone call in my gf's apartment, but at least it has good data! No idea how that works.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Rent posted:

I don't work for ATT, but the worst part of every retail jobs for me are the menial "standups", where people circlejerk nonstop. Every meeting/standup is essentially "do better, sell more. we're at 120%? not good enough, need 130%"

Finally getting more LTE in suburbs of Houston. Surprised it's taking them this long. I still can not recieve/make a phone call in my gf's apartment, but at least it has good data! No idea how that works.

LTE doesn't handle voice yet. You still operate off of 3g and lower for that.

In other news, for anyone purchasing the new iPhone tomorrow, I just want to reiterate what I put in the OP.

quote:

:siren:ATTENTION! This is important. If you are going to buy an iPhone 5s on launch day for your upgrade, please ensure you are the account holder, have the account holder present, or are an authorized user prior to launch day. If you are not an account holder or authorized user on launch day, we can not help you. Please call 1 (800) 331-0500 or 611 from your cell phone to set this up. You can also set yourself up as an authorized user on ATT.com. Thank you!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

I have a grandfathered in unlimited data plan, I can't find any information about whether or not tethering is A-OK these days or if I will get charged for it. Anybody else possibly have this plan and know the answer? If it doesn't, then when if I tick in the tethering box in ios 7, will it automatically go out to AT&T servers and let them know I'm tethering? How does this work?

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Does att "always" offer you the discounted phone after a year? I want the 5S but I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize my getting the 6 at discounted rate too.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

keykey posted:

I have a grandfathered in unlimited data plan, I can't find any information about whether or not tethering is A-OK these days or if I will get charged for it. Anybody else possibly have this plan and know the answer? If it doesn't, then when if I tick in the tethering box in ios 7, will it automatically go out to AT&T servers and let them know I'm tethering? How does this work?

If you try to turn on tethering using the Mobile Hot-spot option on your phone, you should be prompted to contact customer care to initiate a plan that supports it, losing your unlimited plan forever.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Does att "always" offer you the discounted phone after a year? I want the 5S but I don't want to do anything that might jeopardize my getting the 6 at discounted rate too.

AT&T is no longer offering 12 month upgrades without serious intervention from customer care or a store manager. These will be the result of escalations on a grand scale. You might be able to finagle one by signing up for Uverse or Digital Life if you are lucky. Be prepared to spend more money than it's worth to accomplish a 12 month upgrade. Short answer, no.

EDIT: If you want a phone every year, buy the 5S on a NEXT program. Get insurance or Applecare+ because the phone needs to be in great condition when you trade it in.

obeyasia fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 18, 2013

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

obeyasia posted:

If you try to turn on tethering using the Mobile Hot-spot option on your phone, you should be prompted to contact customer care to initiate a plan that supports it, losing your unlimited plan forever.

AT&T is no longer offering 12 month upgrades without serious intervention from customer care or a store manager. These will be the result of escalations on a grand scale. You might be able to finagle one by signing up for Uverse or Digital Life if you are lucky. Be prepared to spend more money than it's worth to accomplish a 12 month upgrade. Short answer, no.

EDIT: If you want a phone every year, buy the 5S on a NEXT program. Get insurance or Applecare+ because the phone needs to be in great condition when you trade it in.

When I check the upgrade link it tells me I'm eligible for an early upgrade at a discounted rate (549 for the 32gb 5S) from the off-contract price. Does this not happen all the time?

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 18, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

suddenlyissoon posted:

When I check the upgrade link it tells me I'm eligible for an early upgrade at a discounted rate (549 for the 32gb 5S) from the off-contract price. Does this not happen all the time?

Right now it absolutely is an option, but that pricing is actually an early upgrade where you will renew your line for 24 months and have an upgrade fee of $36. bear in mind ATT could kill the early upgrade program at any time. So yes you can do that and get a 5S. The outright pricing is $750 for reference.

Anyone want a HTC one? I'm selling one.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570874

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
What's the general consensus on the Lumia 1020?

I'm due for an upgrade and will likely have the scrill for it in the next month. Looking at that or the S4 (initially wanted the active, not sure how I feel about non-touch buttons now that I've adjusted to touch buttons).

Phone is primary internet source, email for work, and camera. All phones will do the first two well, might as well upgrade the third?

EDIT:
Forgot to add, been very happy with usability of Android. Hate iOS.

Does Windows OS allow same usability for USB storage? I want to be able to plug into USB and directly put music into a folder and have it work on phone, or pull photos out of a directory.

And I don't use much for apps.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 18, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

c0ldfuse posted:

What's the general consensus on the Lumia 1020?

I'm due for an upgrade and will likely have the scrill for it in the next month. Looking at that or the S4 (initially wanted the active, not sure how I feel about non-touch buttons now that I've adjusted to touch buttons).

Phone is primary internet source, email for work, and camera. All phones will do the first two well, might as well upgrade the third?

EDIT:
Forgot to add, been very happy with usability of Android. Hate iOS.

Does Windows OS allow same usability for USB storage? I want to be able to plug into USB and directly put music into a folder and have it work on phone, or pull photos out of a directory.

And I don't use much for apps.

I don't use OS X or Linux, but Windows Phone 8 does show up as a device you can drag/drop music, pictures, etc to in Windows Explorer.

We do have a windows Phone thread here if you have other questions:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514718

Edit: just to clarify, it's not USB mass storage, but uses MTP I do believe.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 19, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Question regarding orders:

This morning I put in an order for the iphone 5s. It didn't give me an estimated ship date until after I ordered which was 7-28 days.

I went on the apple website and was able to order one with a 2-3 day ship date, so I did.

I'm with AT&T obviously and am doing a 2 year extension so the phone only cost $199 on each site. However, I want to cancel the AT&T order since it's going to take longer than the apple order. How do I do this? I see nothing on the website that seems to be able to help me.

Edit: was able to call AT&T premier this morning and have it cancelled. Thought I would run into some trouble side their website said I couldn't cancel and would have to ship it back or refuse receipt.

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 20, 2013

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Does anybody have experience with signing for AT&T Premier as a student? On the website if you use your school's email they'll allow you to register as employee and get like a 17% discount. Thing is I don't have a social security number so I have to sign up at the store, and the guys there wouldn't let me do it (although with an SSN I could presumably sign up without trouble online). Any ideas how to proceed? The basic plans are way too expensive.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I went on the ATT website to upgrade to an iPhone 5S and it is including the data plan AT&T Mobile Share(R) Personal for iPhone on 4G LTE - No Visual Voicemail (10-50) for $30/mo.

We already have a family mobile share and I have a Google Edition Galaxy S4 that I activated. I'm just buying this 5S to flip. What's this data plan going to do? Do I need to go through Apple?

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

I currently have a individual account with voice/text/data, with a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Is it possible to add another line to this account or do a family plan while keeping the unlimited data plan? I use about 5GB a month on my own.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Not That Into You posted:

I currently have a individual account with voice/text/data, with a grandfathered unlimited data plan. Is it possible to add another line to this account or do a family plan while keeping the unlimited data plan? I use about 5GB a month on my own.

Absolutely fine, any ATT rep would love to help you out. Just can't do a mobile share plan of course. You would likely move to the 799 min nation family plan.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I have an upgrade coming up in a couple months and I want the Nexus 5, which I assume will not be sold by AT&T. If I were to use my upgrade on an iPhone 5S, could I just turn around and sell it to anyone on AT&T? It's locked to the network, not the individual user, right?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

PurpleJesus posted:

I have an upgrade coming up in a couple months and I want the Nexus 5, which I assume will not be sold by AT&T. If I were to use my upgrade on an iPhone 5S, could I just turn around and sell it to anyone on AT&T? It's locked to the network, not the individual user, right?

Correct.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Awesome, thanks! That'll help pay off some of the Nexus 5.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PurpleJesus posted:

I flipped a 64gb 5 when they came out for ~1100 on ebay, bought a N4 in November at launch and pocketed the rest.

Some tips, try to keep the box sealed in the factory cello and see if they will activate another SIM not the one on the box, you may have to provide your own. All of these things while seemingly stupid, matter for resale and may make the difference between getting low balled and getting a few hundred over retail.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

I flipped a 64gb 5 when they came out for ~1100 on ebay, bought a N4 in November at launch and pocketed the rest.

Some tips, try to keep the box sealed in the factory cello and see if they will activate another SIM not the one on the box, you may have to provide your own. All of these things while seemingly stupid, matter for resale and may make the difference between getting low balled and getting a few hundred over retail.

Just fyi some COR stores will insist on opening the box because its a fraud deterrent. Ordering online is likely the easiest way, not like you need the phone asap for phone calls anyway. Plus the way commission is now a days it'll actually hurt said reps numbers more than help, so they won't like you anyway.

Otherwise, nothing wrong with the process, AT&T just has a lot of fraud issues so they really frown on stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

What's the SIM thing? Will the SIM in the box not work or mess up billing or something? I have two upgrades on my account and have been curious about selling them for a while.

e: Lifehacker compared all the early upgrade plans and doesn't really care for Next: http://lifehacker.com/are-early-upgrade-plans-worth-it-1369868915

quote:

AT&T Next: No. That's it. There is no situation in which AT&T Next can be viewed as anything but a huge rip off. AT&T only spreads monthly payments out over 20 months instead of 24. Because of this, you're actually paying more than half of the phone's cost every year. If you never upgrade, you'll pay exactly the same amount as you would if you bought your handset off contract (on top of your regular service that normally includes a subsidized phone).P

However, if you upgrade after one year, you'll end up paying more in handset payments by the end of two years than either phone is actually worth. Keep in mind, if you didn't use AT&T Next, you'd get one phone on contract. You could then buy a second phone with the money you'd save and still have some leftover. Don't do this. AT&T Next is universally bad.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 23, 2013