Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ernutetnoiraud posted:

You're making a mistake here. Crowdsourcing and crowdfunding aren't the same thing.

D'oh :doh:

Although I will point out that Wikipedia defines crowdfunding as a type of crowdsourcing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Sounds more like it's Wikipediatry, which explains why she wants to ruin jokes for a living.

DoctorPresident
Jul 21, 2012

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Sounds more like it's Wikipediatry, which explains why she wants to ruin jokes for a living.

I've heard that one before.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Yeah, but it's in the same sense that all squares are rectangles. Crowdfunding is a subset of crowdsourcing.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urbantrike/urbantrike-were-kind-of-a-big-wheel

Not sure whether or not I can hate something with such a great tagline.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Orzo posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/urbantrike/urbantrike-were-kind-of-a-big-wheel

Not sure whether or not I can hate something with such a great tagline.

Is adult trikes some new KS craze? Maybe I've just been seeing a lot of them lately, but I swear it's the new iPa(o)d poo poo and microwallet.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!

Noyemi K posted:

Is adult trikes some new KS craze? Maybe I've just been seeing a lot of them lately, but I swear it's the new iPa(o)d poo poo and microwallet.

If you're thinking of the one that was posted quite a while ago in this thread then I'm pretty sure it's the same one because I remember that terrible pun. It's definitely something to learn that they've managed to fund.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Ugggh and now it's funded.

Give it four months until someone launches a KS for Mancifiers, the manly pacifiers for grown men. They'll have an ironic handlebar moustache molded on the back or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Give it four months until someone launches a KS for Mancifiers, the manly pacifiers for grown men. They'll have an ironic handlebar moustache molded on the back or something.

Shame they didn't have Kickstarter 10 years ago when raves were still a big thing, I guess.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So, Story War. On the surface it doesn't look like something to post here, so let's get into why I am posting it here.
  • They had various cards available as cross promotions, pledge on both Story War and certain other projects and you'd get an additional card based on the other project. You'd also get all of the promo cards if you pledged for the "Deluxe" version of the game, which was $20 more expensive than the base set. A while after the Kickstarter ended, they revealed that every cross promotion backer would be getting the full Deluxe part of the game, regardless of what they pledged at. They did this because...
  • They didn't check with their printers about the cost of printing and shipping all of the cross promotion cards until after the Kickstarter had ended, when it was revealed that it would cost a lot more money to them individually than it would to just upgrade everyone. Without refunding the difference to the cross promo backers that also pledged for the Deluxe version, of course.
  • They offered expedited international shipping for $10 more, which they then decided to give everyone for free. Again, without refunding the people who paid for it.
  • Today it was revealed that the Print and Play demo of the expansion set would be delayed because their artist's computer broke, and they didn't have backups of a lot of the art.
  • They also revealed that they forgot to include one of the cross promo cards, so no one's going to get it because it's too late to have it printed due to cost.
  • In order to make things "right" with the people who were affected by one (or more) of these problems, they put together something they called a "whoops" list. Today they revealed that everyone on the list will be getting one month exclusive access to...some rather mediocre music based on some of the cards in the game. Music that will be released to anyone who wants it after that month, for whatever they want to pay for it. Yeah.

Edit: After taking more time to think on things, I no longer feel the way I did when I posted this. Please disregard.

senrath has a new favorite as of 20:43 on Sep 16, 2013

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

senrath posted:

So, Story War. On the surface it doesn't look like something to post here, so let's get into why I am posting it here.
  • They had various cards available as cross promotions, pledge on both Story War and certain other projects and you'd get an additional card based on the other project. You'd also get all of the promo cards if you pledged for the "Deluxe" version of the game, which was $20 more expensive than the base set. A while after the Kickstarter ended, they revealed that every cross promotion backer would be getting the full Deluxe part of the game, regardless of what they pledged at. They did this because...
  • They didn't check with their printers about the cost of printing and shipping all of the cross promotion cards until after the Kickstarter had ended, when it was revealed that it would cost a lot more money to them individually than it would to just upgrade everyone. Without refunding the difference to the cross promo backers that also pledged for the Deluxe version, of course.
  • They offered expedited international shipping for $10 more, which they then decided to give everyone for free. Again, without refunding the people who paid for it.
  • Today it was revealed that the Print and Play demo of the expansion set would be delayed because their artist's computer broke, and they didn't have backups of a lot of the art.
  • They also revealed that they forgot to include one of the cross promo cards, so no one's going to get it because it's too late to have it printed due to cost.
  • In order to make things "right" with the people who were affected by one (or more) of these problems, they put together something they called a "whoops" list. Today they revealed that everyone on the list will be getting one month exclusive access to...some rather mediocre music based on some of the cards in the game. Music that will be released to anyone who wants it after that month, for whatever they want to pay for it. Yeah.

There is absolutely no reason to refund anything, everyone got what they paid for at the agreed upon price, some people are just getting free bonuses. Whining because other people get what you got for less makes you a big baby.

draconic
Mar 30, 2004

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/datyanderegirl/love-me-or-die?ref=recently_launched

:toot:

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

quote:

Why is there no video?

I cannot make a video of myself as people I live with sleep during the day and night due to their job. Everyone here works a day job and night job. People are asleep during the day and the night as you can see. Inplus, they don't want to be on camera.

He lives with one workaholic and one Snorlax and is physically trapped in a studio apartment with no walls. This is why there is no video.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

I like how there's one good image, and all the rest are in completely different, horrifying styles.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it almost like these people arent really talented and most of their "original do not steal art" Is actually pieces of other stolen assets

Fauxtool has a new favorite as of 09:46 on Sep 15, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Noyemi K posted:

I like how there's one good image, and all the rest are in completely different, horrifying styles.

Each illustration is by a different random person from some forum and isn't even representative of what will be in the finished game. She currently has absolutely zero assets:

quote:

The game is currently in the process of having the story written, the graphics done, and finding original fitting music.
I guess she has a title but she ripped that off a CW Stoneking song.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:54 on Sep 15, 2013

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

I just can't stop looking at those eyebrows. What facial expression are they even going for here?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

theflyingorc posted:

There is absolutely no reason to refund anything, everyone got what they paid for at the agreed upon price, some people are just getting free bonuses. Whining because other people get what you got for less makes you a big baby.

If you offer something as an exclusive and charge money for it, then start giving it away for free, people who paid have a right to get upset, because they were lead to believe that paying was the only way to get it.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Aristophanes posted:

I just can't stop looking at those eyebrows. What facial expression are they even going for here?

So pissed off, that you shoot lightning from your eyes mad. A lot of japanese girls have blue eyes right? She mentioned this takes place at a Japanese high school somewhere (hey, the town doesn't matter, all high schools in Japan are the same right?)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Aristophanes posted:

"Chola"

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Fatkraken posted:

If you offer something as an exclusive and charge money for it, then start giving it away for free, people who paid have a right to get upset, because they were lead to believe that paying was the only way to get it.

This is the reasoning behind Planetary Annihilation being $90 on Steam. I don't think that's a great outcome.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

ohgodwhat posted:

This is the reasoning behind Planetary Annihilation being $90 on Steam. I don't think that's a great outcome.

I think the price of a core product changing is to be expected, loads of games and electronics go down in price mere months after being launched, and plenty of games endup in pay-what-you-want bundles so people could get them effectively for free if they wanted.

In this case though, weren't the cards basically touted as an exclusive donation bonus? I think that's the issue. Imagine a CCG card, like a magic the gathering card, being offered as a bonus when you buy a MTG videogame for $10, but then the stores have a bunch left over and literally just give them away to anyone who wants one. In that instance I think people would get miffed, because the entire reason for the card existing was as a special bonus to people who bought the game. It really depends on how it was worded and what people were led to expect.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

In this case though, weren't the cards basically touted as an exclusive donation bonus? I think that's the issue. Imagine a CCG card, like a magic the gathering card, being offered as a bonus when you buy a MTG videogame for $10, but then the stores have a bunch left over and literally just give them away to anyone who wants one. In that instance I think people would get miffed, because the entire reason for the card existing was as a special bonus to people who bought the game. It really depends on how it was worded and what people were led to expect.
Didn't that actually happen? Because that sounds familiar.
This is the closest I could find :shrug: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1263

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Croccers posted:

Didn't that actually happen? Because that sounds familiar.
This is the closest I could find :shrug: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1263

Do you mean exclusive cards coming with MTG video games? Yes, that's a thing they do all the time hence using it as an example. If you mean those exclusive cards later being given away to everyone, whether they'd bought the game or not, then no, I haven't heard of that happening*

(*there was a time when the code you got from the game wasn't actually necessary to get a copy of the card because the widget on the website that accepted said code was broken and would give you the preorder WHATEVER you typed in, but this was a coding mistake not a deliberate policy)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

senrath posted:

You forgot to add:
  • Everyone got bunches and bunches of extra stuff with their orders that the creators didn't have to include
  • There's only three people working on this project and they obviously got completely overwhelmed when they raised 18 times more than their base goal
  • The project creators were very open and apologetic about their mistakes and tried to make amends as best they could
  • The 'exclusive' cards are still Kickstarter exclusive and won't be available to people who buy the game after the KS project ends

Complaining that you're missing out on one card which they promised when they gave you approximately an extra 100 cards and a bunch of other things which weren't included at the start is sour grapes. "They said they'd give me 100 more cards than I paid for but I only got 99 free cards, screw those bastards!!!"

Also note that this isn't a competitive card game like Pokemon and it's only played for fun so having any extra cards doesn't give anyone any advantage except possibly giving them a little extra enjoyment in their game. They also included a bunch of blank cards as bonuses so anyone could have made their own version of those cards for themselves.
I guess if you were planning on selling the 'exclusive' cards on eBay I can see how you'd be upset that they gave them out to more people.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

ohgodwhat posted:

$90 for the alpha - it's something like the "slacker backer" option that many successful kickstarters have added during production. I cannot imagine anyone reasonable being upset by that.

For Project Fedora, when the backers made it very clear that they didn't want a special easter egg to be exclusive to a certain level of backer, Big Finish switched it out for a DIFFERENT bonus - that's what these guys should have done (but given their other mistakes I assume they don't have the planning nous to pull it off)

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

They don't need a kickstarter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There's even a similar dog toy:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

senrath posted:

I was supposed to get a Deluxe game if I did some of the cross-promotions? Damnit!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fatkraken posted:

Not really. You're literally upset that other people are getting a bonus.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

theflyingorc posted:

Not really. You're literally upset that other people are getting a bonus.

It's annoying when someone gets something for free when you paid for it, and were told you had to pay for it to get it. It's not them getting it for free that's annoying, it's you NOT getting it for free.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fatkraken posted:

It's annoying when someone gets something for free when you paid for it, and were told you had to pay for it to get it. It's not them getting it for free that's annoying, it's you NOT getting it for free.

What would you consider an acceptable mea culpa? Also I fail to see why this is an awful Kickstarter, someone is shipping their product and giving extras to backers, including a soundtrack that they've created specifically because they aren't giving enough extras away?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fatkraken posted:

Which is completely irrational and unreasonable. You got what was promised at the promised price. You're promoting Tea Party logic right now.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

theflyingorc posted:

Which is completely irrational and unreasonable. You got what was promised at the promised price. You're promoting Tea Party logic right now.

Companies have literally given away free poo poo to early adopters when there was a huge price drop almost immediately after launch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1936791.stm

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Fatkraken posted:

Dude, I paid the extra to get that deluxe edition, and I just don't care. Good on the other people for getting a free upgrade, good will and all that. poo poo happens, and the best they and you can do is roll with it. I know this is all just IMHO, but you don't have to be a dick just because a club is a little less exclusive.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The upgrade wasn't entirely free. The promotions were "We'll give you card X if you also back/backed Kickstarter Y. You'll still get card X if you picked the deluxe set.".

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Fatkraken posted:

Companies have literally given away free poo poo to early adopters when there was a huge price drop almost immediately after launch.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1936791.stm

Because they know that people are irrational. Explain in what way they wronged the backers and then we can talk about restitution.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

theflyingorc posted:

Because they know that people are irrational. Explain in what way they wronged the backers and then we can talk about restitution.

I guess by convincing people to give extra money for what turned out to be no good reason, but I don't really have a dog in this fight.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

I can't believe I'm the one doing this but I think Jesus covered this in the parable of the vineyard workers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I really should've explained better when I made that post, but I was tired and a little cranky. See, my big problem with how things turned out with Story War wasn't that I'm not getting everything I "paid" for (really, donated for). My problem is their apparent uncaring attitude towards these problems.

First off, the Kickstarter ended in March. It wasn't until last week that it was revealed that any cross promotional backers that backed at the Deluxe level effectively donated $20 more than (at least some of them) would have. Their response to this was to put together a list of everyone affected, and they'd be getting a month early access to something neat! But, oh, wait, after that month it's free to anyone.

Then yesterday they revealed that no one would be getting the Rogue card, and declared that it was too late to do anything, sorry, everyone affected also gets access to the neat thing, which turns out to be some music they're making based on the location cards in the game.

So to sum up, I'm not too annoyed that the mistakes happened (although one of them could have been prevented if they'd asked about printing costs of their promo stuff ahead of time), I'm annoyed at their responses to the mistakes.

Edit: After taking more time to think on things, I no longer feel the way I did when I posted this. Please disregard.

senrath has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Sep 16, 2013