Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aers
Feb 15, 2012

The award for most censored release goes to the Korean dub. They aired all 5 seasons (200 episodes) in South Korea, but did it in 156 episodes. They removed nearly everything that would indicate the show was set in Japan. This included flat out not airing any episode where significant time was spent at Rei's shrine, and removing all footage of it from other episodes. I have no idea how they even did her introductory episode, but I'm sure it is pretty special. In addition, anytime there was Japanese text on screen, it was simply whited out. Not replaced with Korean, but blanked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

aers posted:

The award for most censored release goes to the Korean dub. They aired all 5 seasons (200 episodes) in South Korea, but did it in 156 episodes. They removed nearly everything that would indicate the show was set in Japan. This included flat out not airing any episode where significant time was spent at Rei's shrine, and removing all footage of it from other episodes. I have no idea how they even did her introductory episode, but I'm sure it is pretty special. In addition, anytime there was Japanese text on screen, it was simply whited out. Not replaced with Korean, but blanked.

You know, Korea has, in that region, one of the most solid reasons to hate on Japan as much as possible, but good God.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.

Pimpmust posted:

Watching up to ep 26 for the first time myself (other than catching the occasional ep back during ~youth~) and I can't help but giggle every time AmuroMaskerade Rosen Tuxedo Kamen pops up to save the day when the main cast fucks up.
Best save so far was when he popped up out of loving nowhere in a magical black hole dimension to be a Bus driver and chain-pulled 3 buses full of people out of there before giving his usual motivational speech and disappearing.

*Honk*

:iia:

If you enjoy Tuxedo Mask's ridiculous entrances, I recommend watching the Sailor Moon S movie once you get that far in the series.

quote:

Do the other scouts ever get more characterization/development or is the show mainly just Usagi/Mamoru drama + yelling at monsters the whole way through?

Along with the odd episode highlighting them, if I recall correctly the scouts are each focused on a bit in different chunks of the series. I don't remember who is when aside from Venus getting some personality in SuperS. The R movie is good too in that it showcases each of their personal reasons for protecting Usagi, as well as hinting at the qualities that make her someone worth protecting in the first place.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Chrysolith posted:

Speaking of inexplicably changing character's genders, what was up with the decision to change Zirconia's? Zirconia was a woman right? I remember in the dub, they made her into a man, but I don't know the reason. There was never any dreaded homosexual relationships with her, and considering she was a part of Nehelania, the gender switch made even less sense.
I think that was just a mistake.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
What, no love for Venus? Minako is my favorite because she's got half of Usagi's negative traits multiplied by three and then is surprisingly competent. She's inevitably one of the only people to stand up and keep on trucking after having her dream mirror/star seed/heart crystal ripped out with results varying from badass to hilarious. And her element is metal. :black101:

Plus, she's a master of disguise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqesMChSRW0 A flawless master of disguise.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Pimpmust posted:

Watching up to ep 26 for the first time myself (other than catching the occasional ep back during ~youth~) and I can't help but giggle every time AmuroMaskerade Rosen Tuxedo Kamen pops up to save the day when the main cast fucks up.
Best save so far was when he popped up out of loving nowhere in a magical black hole dimension to be a Bus driver and chain-pulled 3 buses full of people out of there before giving his usual motivational speech and disappearing.

*Honk*

:iia:

Yeah that was pretty amazing. His exits are also pretty confounding most of the time. He usually helps out for a bit and then just literally runs or flies away down the street for seemingly no reason. I didn't see all of the Rainbow Crystal eps but in ep 31 I love how he literally just shows up, grabs the Rainbow Crystal and runs down the street. No one tries to stop him. :shrug:

Weirdest fight was possibly Jephrite conjuring a magical super loving lion from the stars and sending it after Moon and Tux . . . just to scare them into the elevator so he could squish them? :confused: Wow dude, no wonder you got killed off so quickly.

Although his little arc with Naru was kind of cute and nice actually. :shobon:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Alopex posted:

What, no love for Venus? Minako is my favorite because she's got half of Usagi's negative traits multiplied by three and then is surprisingly competent. She's inevitably one of the only people to stand up and keep on trucking after having her dream mirror/star seed/heart crystal ripped out with results varying from badass to hilarious. And her element is metal. :black101:

Plus, she's a master of disguise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqesMChSRW0 A flawless master of disguise.

Nah, Venus is my favourite of the Inners myself, but I'm really more of an Outers junkie. Sailor Neptune :swoon:

But Venus is fun and she's the prettiest of her set and for whatever reason I always liked the prettiest ones most. Manipulated by such things time and time again. :(

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah that was pretty amazing. His exits are also pretty confounding most of the time. He usually helps out for a bit and then just literally runs or flies away down the street for seemingly no reason. I didn't see all of the Rainbow Crystal eps but in ep 31 I love how he literally just shows up, grabs the Rainbow Crystal and runs down the street. No one tries to stop him. :shrug:

Weirdest fight was possibly Jephrite conjuring a magical super loving lion from the stars and sending it after Moon and Tux . . . just to scare them into the elevator so he could squish them? :confused: Wow dude, no wonder you got killed off so quickly.

Although his little arc with Naru was kind of cute and nice actually. :shobon:

Favourite Tux Exit so far is actually somewhat earlier (ep 27?) during the Rainbow Crystal stuff, where he shows up late and the enemy is already defeated and he kinda goes :saddowns: (and possibly mutters something to 'Moon about how he's totally gonna take the crystals if given a chance) before leaving.

And yeah the big bads suffer from some serious mismatch between menacing aura (those loving Dark Kingdom scenes are creepy/cool as hell) and actual uh... ability.
See: Jedite's aircraft accident, the 7 Great Monsters that are pretty much just ordinary monsters except with more Gamegear/Boxing Gloves/Art Feathers/Swiss Army Knives etc.

It's not like the Sailor soldiers have even had a proper training montage yet :colbert:

(Sailor Power Sets OP, plz nerf)

(e: Actually funny how it's recognized in-show as well, Jupiter gets the magic stick dumped on her, SUPREME SUNDAE stock-footage followed by her going "Wait what")

Ep 29 fight, summed up by the following screenshots:

"So uh, coffee at my place after this?"

(e2: SUPREME SUNDAE or FIRE BOMBER, which is your favourite attack? :v:)

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 16, 2013

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Pimpmust posted:

(e2: SUPREME SUNDAE or FIRE BOMBER, which is your favourite attack? :v:)
Dey all call me... FRAME SNIPER.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQkAn6OBix4

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
My favorite Tuxedo Mask entrance/exit happens to be from one of my favorite episodes! He's here to help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x1BARGwfW0&t=1008s

I think he made it worse...

Also Sailor Uranus is the bomb, yo. She drives without a licence! Onee-sama is so cool! :allears:

Also, later in the video, the outers give zero fucks about exploding a little girl if it means saving the solar system.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Also Sailor Uranus is the bomb, yo. She drives without a licence! Onee-sama is so cool! :allears:

Hey, she got it overseas, okay. :colbert:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Watched ep31 and man, awesome episode.

It starts out with Fat Cat Tuxedo Kamen, tossing fishbones around like Roses.

Then it cuts to Mamuro...

Tuxedo? Yeah, more like Hipster Kamen right :colbert:

(actually that's Rei)

Zoisite shows up and does his thing, the episode starts getting... weird

Whatcha lookin' at there Jupiter?

I'm not sure, but this either says something about Jupiter, or something about Mercury :buddy:

And for the finale, well...

Luna likes big butts and she cannot lie :nyd:

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

Whatcha lookin' at there Jupiter?

I'm not sure, but this either says something about Jupiter, or something about Mercury :buddy:

I think I read, years ago, that this was actually something tossed in by Kunihiko Ikuhara when he was doing Sailor Moon. :iiam:

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.

becrumbac posted:

I think I read, years ago, that this was actually something tossed in by Kunihiko Ikuhara when he was doing Sailor Moon. :iiam:

This was one of the episodes he directed, so probably.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Things Zoisite is good at:
Backstabbing allies.
Fabolous Posing
Evil Giggle

Anything else?

Oh right!

Here's a tip Zoisite, if you want the dubs to get it right and have "Zoisite" be a man's name and all that,
maybe you should include less pantyshots of yourself cosplaying sailor moon :sweatdrop:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

becrumbac posted:

Which doesn't even make sense cuz that's a leotard. :psyduck:

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

Here's a tip Zoisite, if you want the dubs to get it right and have "Zoisite" be a man's name and all that,
maybe you should include less pantyshots of yourself cosplaying sailor moon :sweatdrop:

That is how you know that Sailor Moon is evil...or is it?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Watching the new musical right now on Nico. As a big fan of the original musicals, this is... good. It captures the feel of the old ones.

If the new anime manages to capture the spirit of the old anime the same way it is going to be great.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Dante Logos: No, no you know she's evil by following the tract of dead bodies.

I've been reading the Manga on the side, and man Moon+Mars are straight up killah combo

"Dark Kingdom Times
Famed War Hero Killed In Combat By Little Girl While Deployed To Earth: The Queen Demands Answers"

Alternatively
"IDid you say Flame SnipKYAAAAA!!"

Still, not quite as gruesome as the kill-list in the dozens that Sailor Moon accrued before even gathering most of the Soldiers :v:

Killitude aside, with deep frame-by-frame research I've confirmed that Jupiter is in fact way more manly than Mars

Random laugh:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 21, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I've been reading the Manga on the side, and man Moon+Mars are straight up killah combo
The joke is that isn't even the worst kill. Most fatalities are lucky to have earthly remains to dispose of.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I've read past that part and It's pretty shocking how (and how) quickly those guys bite it compared to the anime. Hell, Zoisite barely had any action time before he got fried and the plot dumping began in earnest.

On the other hand I thought the Fake Sailor Moon (not Zoisite) deal was better handled (if still obvious), in the Anime those particular twists are the worst/most telegraphed secrets I've ever seen :v:
(To the point I wonder if they were even supposed to be twists?)

I laughed a little at the whole "playing arcade games to train you to be better warriors!!" (game looks like a 8-bit Mega Man knock-off).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pimpmust posted:

On the other hand I thought the Fake Sailor Moon (not Zoisite) deal was better handled (if still obvious), in the Anime those particular twists are the worst/most telegraphed secrets I've ever seen :v:
(To the point I wonder if they were even supposed to be twists?)

Every episode title for Sailor Moon spoils its ending, so I think you're supposed to know it's Zoisite right away.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I didn't mean the Zoisite reveal, but Venus, who kinda just goes "Nope, not the Princess. Just Venus!" in the anime, versus having a whole Body-Double deal going on for at least a few pages before the reveal in the manga (which would translate to like 20 episodes in the anime :v:).

The whole episode summary in the anime that gives everything away before you even see the episode is a *really* weird decision :iiam:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Pimpmust posted:

The whole episode summary in the anime that gives everything away before you even see the episode is a *really* weird decision :iiam:

I think that's a 90s anime in general trope. I remember three back to back Dragonball Z episodes with the titles "Yamucha Dies! The Terror of the Saibaimen" and "Farewell Ten-san! Chaozu's Suicide Strategy" then "Tenshinhan Cries Out!! This is My Final Kikoho" a few episodes later was "Ferocity of the Saiyans! Kami-sama and Piccolo Both Die"

And then there was Legend of Galactic Heroes fondness for spoiling who dies in next episode during the teaser.

I guess Japanese people really don't like surprises.

No More Days
Apr 1, 2010
Best senshi is Uranus closely followed by Jupiter, everyone else go home except Mars and Saturn, you guys are cool.

Also, shoutouts to the best villains, the Amazon Trio Tiger's Eye and Fish Eye. "What time is it now?" :allears: (Hawk's Eye only has like two good episodes, the Minako one and the one where they all die).

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
My favourite villains were Sailor Aluminium Siren and Sailor Lead Crow, if only because their dynamic was exactly the same as Usagi's and Rei's.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Shyrka posted:

I think that's a 90s anime in general trope. I remember three back to back Dragonball Z episodes with the titles "Yamucha Dies! The Terror of the Saibaimen" and "Farewell Ten-san! Chaozu's Suicide Strategy" then "Tenshinhan Cries Out!! This is My Final Kikoho" a few episodes later was "Ferocity of the Saiyans! Kami-sama and Piccolo Both Die"

And then there was Legend of Galactic Heroes fondness for spoiling who dies in next episode during the teaser.

I guess Japanese people really don't like surprises.

Its more a shows for younger audiences thing. It still happens in modern kids anime.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
This is why I've enjoyed watching Symphogear this season, because they actually don't do that.

Did they do that with how the first season ended, re: everyone dying?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

The episode 45 title is "The Sailor Warriors Die! The Tragic Final Battle".

So yes.

This episode in particular apparently caused Toei to receive a ton of mail from kids upset about what happened, which isn't very surprising!

Going back to the "its common in kids shows" thing - Gurren Lagann was technically a kids show since it aired in the Sunday morning block (same exact time as Precure, for example) and has some spoilery titles too. However, for the biggest one, they didn't display the episode title until the end of the episode. I thought that was a nice touch.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Speaking of episode 45, I just finished the first season.

Now, the filler between oh, the mid 30ish plot episodes weren't entirely useless. We learned things like "Jupiter is great at figure skating" and "Rei can skii pretty well".
Even the 7 Filler Monsters made a return, although never in their monster glory (also, an episode I happened to remember pretty well from my youth).

As for the finale itself, rather cliché and the aforementioned deaths lacked... some punch, what with the enemies in question just being random monsters. If it was that easy I wonder why the Dark Kingdom didn't just send 5+ monsters at the Sailor Soldiers at once earlier.

Of course, we already knew that the magic stick had all kinds of bullshit powers, including resurrecting everyone everywhere so not much of a surprise ending there. The unintended mind-frying from radiation poisoning explains how they are gonna help drag this out for another couple of seasons.

Now the episodes themselves, with the history lesson of the war on the moon leaves me with some questions wanting.
I'm going to try to reconstruct the timeline here.

The Moon Aristocracy, apparently consisting of very long lived royalty and nobility spend their debauched lifestyles on frivolties like hosting massive parties, building massive palaces and figureskating rinks.
The Silver Millenium lords it over the ordinary humans on the Earth with their arsenal of WMDs and other magical powers, allowing unimpeeded visual surveillance through their hegomony.
A interstellar Power* Metal Band arrives at Earth and sparks a Revolution when their awesome performance overstrains the decrepit and underfunded power infrastructre of the exploited Earth nation, causing even the four highest ranking generals of the local puppet state to help the people overthrow the Monarchy.
However, The Crown Prince Endymion escapes Earth to warn his allied Moon aristocrats of the coming revolution, but arrives too late to do any good as the awesome will of the proletariat allow them to launch the revolution into space carried on their own legs (they really do run to the moon).
Metalia launches the show of the millenia in support of the revolutionaries and even the weaponized witches of the royal guards are stunned.
Still, the Queen of the Moon seeing the impending defeat unleashes her WMD "the silver crystal" in a last spiteful vengeance attack to deny the riches of the moon medical technology to the people of the Earth, and finally sends the spirits of her weapons to Earth to prevent the return of the Power Metal Band and revolutionary spirit.
/The Show Begins/
After a series of global climate change associated events derived from their unsustainable lifestyles and misuse of magical power, the second war concludes with the reborn Moon nobility murdering everyone and nuking the North Pole.
Rather complicated moral lessons, for a kids show, but that's Japan for you!

Now the obvious question is, how did the Moon kingdom harness the elemental powers that gave them such an edge in that, and coming, conflicts? Obviously not a peaceful "paradise" as portrayed by the biased account of the Moon agents. Every time the massive palace is shown, juxtapositioned with the very white gloves of the nobility, the show cleverly leads the watcher to conclude that they did not build that wealth themselves. Now obviously Energy is a central core to the story, but the show fails to properly explain the Moon half of that power (the Dark power being derived from wicked Bass lines).

e: Almost forgot the most pressing question: Were there a whole species of talking moon cats?

Probably answered in the coming seasons, so don't spoil me! It's going to be interesting to see where the show takes this :ussr:

*I assume it's Power Metal, what will all the "Dark Energy" stuff being thrown around.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 22, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And then Season two is about a five year old girl searching for Superman.

As in, she's that desperate to solve a crisis she caused that she's willing to bugger all laws of time and space on the off-chance that Daddy's bedtime stories about this mythic super figure have some basis in fact.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 22, 2013

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I got this seething rage from just seeing/reading about that pink-haired troll and I think my only real exposure is through some old SNES rpg...

In other news, started the second season and while I didn't really think the Memory loss schtick would stick (being the 90ies superhero story and all... ), haha poo poo the loving cats could just pump the memories back in 5 seconds flat like that? :effort:

So much for my hopes of seeing them run with it for awhile longer for hilarious "everyone hates each others guts" moments only then they get the memories back and OH SNAP ~awkward~ :allears:

Then again I don't think the manga had the same ending either so I guess it's the reason (the manga season 1 ending had decidely more stabby and/or suicides involved).

e: Season 1 basically involved a little time-travel/bending but they really are going for a 90ies Superhero bingo aint they?

Do not try to escape. You are in my control. Look at me: I am the sum of all evils. Look carefully. My power infests all times, all galaxies, all dimensions. But many still seek me out; a green jewel they must possess. But see how I destroy their lives.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 22, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

I got this seething rage from just seeing/reading about that pink-haired troll and I think my only real exposure is through some old SNES rpg...
The dub did her no favours between someone who was nowhere in comparison to Kae Araki so a character who was on loose footing before hand stood no chance when DiC were done with her.

Stephanie Beard made the role her own in S and SS, though.

Pimpmust posted:

In other news, started the second season and while I didn't really think the Memory loss schtick would stick (being the 90ies superhero story and all... ), haha poo poo the loving cats could just pump the memories back in 5 seconds flat like that? :effort:
To be fair, they sold the fact that Usagi did NOT like being reminded that her friends and herself died and that there's the very real prospect that they'd do so again.

Given she only had the role for a few episodes before hand (Kotono Mitsuishi being off ill during the last leg of season one and part of R), Araki bloody well sells it.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I am SLOWLY making my way through R. Everything about Chibi Usa is awful, the antagonists have the worst aspects of the Youma and the space twins with none of the bits that made them good charming tolerable, and Mamoru is such an unlikable prick that I find myself missing when he just picked on whiny highschoolers for kicks.

It gets better, right? Right?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I like the part where chibi-usa dribbles her luna-head-thing like a basketball.

I don't think R is too bad. I find my enjoyment increases when I set my expectations accordingly. I am 23 year old man watching a 20 year old anime about magical 14 year old girls defeating evil monsters with the power of love that I used to like a long time ago.

Also nice about R is how Usagi is embracing her role as Sailor Moon and wanting to protect her friends and those around her. I'm not gonna find screen caps or some poo poo, but I feel like her character has matured somewhat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I remember late R being decent-- naturally, the part right after where the first round of the dub ended.

S is always the best though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
S is the best, by far (the outer senshi are the best :colbert:). I never watched SuperS because of Chibi-usa, is it as bad as R?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Pretty sure SS is widely regarded as the worst season but it's been long enough that I couldn't say for myself. I do like the SS Sailor Moon outfit and weapon the best though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Don't get me wrong I don't expect much above saturday morning cartoon levels, but man, the Youma had Zoisite being fabulous and the aliens had a flower-man Vampire spawned from a tarot deck. The Phantom Sisters don't even use any goofy monsters half the time and only talk about how fighting ruins their make-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

e: Almost forgot the most pressing question: Were there a whole species of talking moon cats?

While I won't answer any of the other questions posed by your, uh, fanfiction, due to spoilers... I will answer this. Yes. They aren't from the Moon though, they're from the planet Mau.

• Locked thread