Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Doctor Butts posted:

So it isn't laggy at everything like the OG Razr? It was such a piece of poo poo that it really soured me on Motorola phones. If that's the case I might reconsider when my contract allows me to upgrade.

The lag was so bad that it would take two or more seconds for the Swype keyboard to come up, the screen rotation took forever to sense and adjust, among other things.

I mean all new phones are pretty snappy but I have yet to be let down by anything. I was getting incredibly frustrated that my rooted Razr with a custom rom to get rid of the useless stuff was even bogging down and the battery would die in a pretty short amount of time.

It's a really, really weird feeling to be able to look at youtube clips, SA, facebook, whatever without any fear that your battery will not last. I used to have to turn off sync, 4G, wifi, turn the screen brightness down, etc. when I went out so that the battery would last and now I could give a gently caress less. It's incredibly satisfying.

I know everyone said this same thing with the original Maxx came out but this is seriously what owning a smartphone should be like. loving around all day long and still having your battery be above 50% when you get home is great. Phones are pretty quickly approaching the point that computers hit maybe 5 or 6 years ago where processor speed becomes pretty unimportant to the majority of people. This phone has basically a stock OS on it, has a nice notification system, great battery life, snappy performance for what I use it for, etc. I'm very happy with my purchase. The news that root may be coming which can remove some bloatware easily and give some other little features is pretty cool but for once I don't even mind if I spend 2 years or whatever with this software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don't use root to "remove bloatware."

Just disable it with the built in system. Otherwise you pretty much abandon all hope of getting any OS upgrades.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Endless Mike posted:

Too bad it's made by LG and has LG software.

If the nexus 5 has its screen and hardware, we might have a winner.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I got an iPhone 4S last year in March because I needed a phone immediately, with the thought that I could upgrade in November of this year, even confirmed with the guy at the shop. Obviously, they changed that policy recently and now you have to wait the full 2 years to upgrade. I don't want to be 6 months off of the iPhone release cycle forever, and I sure as hell don't want to wait a year from now to get the 6 or whatever. Is there really no possible way that I can just cancel, eat the ETF, and go to a 5S when it comes out? I see upthread someone said you can't keep your number if I do this? What are my options then?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you want to eat the ETF and keep your number, port to a prepaid carrier for a month like T-Mobile and then port back to verizon and sign a new contract.

Confirm what your ETF is first though because it may be cheaper to buy the new iPhone outright than ETF+Contract Price of Phone.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 12, 2013

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
For anyone wanting to pick up the iPhone 5S, it sounds like Comcast is planning on running the $100 voucher if you order through them and renew your two year contract or sign up for a new plan. Same setup as was talked about before, but with the iPhone.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

cuedotcom posted:

I wish this would happen, but what will actually happen is they'll remove the SD card slot and replace the large battery with a tiny one that will barely give you 2 hours of screen on time.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Gadfly posted:

I wish this would happen, but what will actually happen is they'll remove the SD card slot and replace the large battery with a tiny one that will barely give you 2 hours of screen on time.

But it'll report you have 40% remaining before it shuts off because LG drivers.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

Protocol7 posted:

But it'll report you have 40% remaining before it shuts off because LG drivers.

Sounds like the Galaxy Nexus. Pass.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Don't use root to "remove bloatware."

Just disable it with the built in system. Otherwise you pretty much abandon all hope of getting any OS upgrades.

I root to remove bloatware because I want to manually control my system upgrades. 99% of the time when an OTA comes out, a flashable ZIP is made so I can just manually do it. I'm not some sitting duck who roots and then whines about OTA's failing because odds are in favor I'll have an option to manually get the updates in the latest OTA while keeping a debloated /system

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

cuedotcom posted:

Unless they're making a special version that has support for Verizon's LTE bands, don't get your hopes up.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

cuedotcom posted:

Sounds like the Galaxy Nexus. Pass.

In reality, it's probably not that bad. The GNex's issue was having a separate LTE radio coupled with a relatively small battery, so any time you were connected via LTE, your battery was basically vomiting electrons out of all orifices. These newer Qualcomm chipsets have radio on chip, which is way more battery efficient.

I have no idea if LG has gotten their driver poo poo together, but I hear reports of Nexus 4 battery fuckery all the time. Nothing major, but frequent and obvious enough to be a problem.

e: But that's assuming LG is going to bother making a phone for Verizon anyway.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 13, 2013

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
My Note 2 charging port started acting funny (the phone became unresponsive when plugged in, the phone would stop detecting the cable randomly, or it would outright not charge) so I called in a replacement and it's getting here today. All of a sudden my phone decides to behave and I am unable to replicate the wonky charging port issues. I tested the cable with other devices and ruled it out as the a potential culprit so I figure the port itself is messing up and maybe it's a progressive thing which will kinda go on and off until it finally breaks.

My concern: What happens if they receive the phone and it works just fine? Will I be assessed their fee? Alternatively, what if they decide the port is corroded (from what I can tell, it isn't) and end up charging me the phone either way? In both scenarios I would have been better served by the insurance which I've been paying for every month.

I guess I've just been reading too many horror stories regarding their Certified Like New program. Are my fears unfounded? This is on an employee acct by the way. Other replacements I've done have gone without a hitch but I hear they've been getting stricter with this recently.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I am seriously considering pre-ordering the iphone 5C. But I have a question about the warranty plans. Is this something I should get? If something does go wrong with the phone and I do have the warranty, is it a simple and easy process to get a new phone? As in, do they dick you around?

This would all be done through the Verizon website. It would be: Total Mobile Protection - iPhone
(Safeguard devices from loss, theft, damage and mechanical defects after the manufacturer's warranty has expired; Get personalized support from a Tech Coach and the ability to protect your device from viruses and other threats. (Total Mobile Protection is bundled product; individual products available separately)10.00/mo or Total Equipment Coverage (WPP + Extended Warranty), Advanced Devices(Replacement for loss, theft, damage and defects after the manufacturer's warranty expires) 9.99/mo

Is one better than the other? I mean, it's a penny difference :/

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I am seriously considering pre-ordering the iphone 5C. But I have a question about the warranty plans. Is this something I should get? If something does go wrong with the phone and I do have the warranty, is it a simple and easy process to get a new phone? As in, do they dick you around?

This would all be done through the Verizon website. It would be: Total Mobile Protection - iPhone
(Safeguard devices from loss, theft, damage and mechanical defects after the manufacturer's warranty has expired; Get personalized support from a Tech Coach and the ability to protect your device from viruses and other threats. (Total Mobile Protection is bundled product; individual products available separately)10.00/mo or Total Equipment Coverage (WPP + Extended Warranty), Advanced Devices(Replacement for loss, theft, damage and defects after the manufacturer's warranty expires) 9.99/mo

Is one better than the other? I mean, it's a penny difference :/

If you live anywhere close to an Apple store, I would recommend getting Apple Care. It is 100 dollars upfront, but covers all small repairs and two phone replacements (which cost fifty dollars).

No matter what happens to the phone, you'll never be without your phone for more than a day.

I bought it for my 4s and got one refurb and then had the speakers go, which would have cost 59 dollars out of pocket, but was covered by the program. The replacement took less than a hour.

You can get AppleCare at any time 30 days after you get your phone it you bring it with you to an Apple Store for a brief inspection.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Im sure this question is not terribly removed from many of the "How do I get an Unlimited Data Verizon plan?" that are in this thread but for the sake of due diligence I would like to know about the process/feasibility of obtaining an unlimited data LTE plan for use with a hotspot or similar device.

The goal is to hopefully be able to replace my lovely $80 per month, 3mbps, 3gb/day capped radiowave internet in my home with the great bandwidth of the LTE tower right next to my house. I already skirt the line with tethering my phone (on an unlimited plan) when I need to download something large or want to watch a season of something on Netflix but would love to be able to share the connection without needing to have my phone out of comission.

Im assuming that I'd need to do the following:

1: Assume liability on someones unlimited plan (for $$$$)Maybe one like this and then drop the phone line? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Unlimited-Data-Line-with-1-regular-lines-basic-non-data-/271276557612?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3f2957c52c)
2: Buy/Register my LTE device on the new plan(do I have to use a jetpack or could a LTE router also work? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/usb-modem/verizon-4g-lte-router) ($279 for one with no contract?)
3: ??magic??
4: Replace my lovely home internet with the sweet sweet goodness of unlimited LTE that I can share across all of my home devices!

What the hell is the going rate on one of these accounts these days anyways? (or a decently regarded place to source people selling them) And if all I need is a plan with 1 line of unlimited data how much should I expect the plan to run monthly?

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 13, 2013

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Sigma posted:

If you live anywhere close to an Apple store, I would recommend getting Apple Care. It is 100 dollars upfront, but covers all small repairs and two phone replacements (which cost fifty dollars).

Except now it is $79/replacement rather than $50.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Falco posted:

Except now it is $79/replacement rather than $50.

In any case, it's still cheaper than the $169 deductible on an iPhone if you had Verizon's coverage. And if you got a 32GB or bigger model, it's $199.

Unless you think it is highly likely your phone will get lost or stolen, the Verizon insurance coverage is a total loser vs AppleCare.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm going to help my sister port her two numbers away from Verizon to T-Mobile. I have a few questions on how to do it. For the process, the only information we'll need for Verizon is the account number and the billing pin/password, right? If she doesn't know what the PIN is, can she change it online? Also, is it possible to start the port process on a Saturday? How long does it typically take to go through? Thanks.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So how long does it typically take for a phone's non contract price to drop from something ridiculous like 650 to something more palatable like 350?

I'm thinking the Droid Maxx would be a great new phone, but I'd like to wait until the price is not ridiculous and I'm not giving up my unlimited until they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

King Burgundy posted:

So how long does it typically take for a phone's non contract price to drop from something ridiculous like 650 to something more palatable like 350?

I'm thinking the Droid Maxx would be a great new phone, but I'd like to wait until the price is not ridiculous and I'm not giving up my unlimited until they pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Never. Seriously. You can find them secondhand for cheaper as time goes on, though.

E: Also, I picked up the G2 yesterday. I actually really, really like this phone and I've had them all on Verizon haha. Battery is at 82% and I was off the charger at 8AM (it's now 4:20PM here), finally iPhone-like battery life on Android (along with the Maxx which was admittedly even better than this phone). With the HTC One I'd already be putting it on for it's midday charge. The UI really isn't that bad, it's just a touchwiz lookalike but minus the lag/stutters that I experienced on the S4. I've disabled all the bloatware and cleaned up the notification area so it's just the toggles. The camera has been great in the test shots I've taken. The phone flies through everyday tasks and like I said, no noticeable lag yet and I'm a big stickler when it comes to noticing it. The back buttons took all of about a few hours to get used to, and the knock-on feature is awesome and now I'm going to wish every phone had it. Overall I'd highly recommend it so far but I'll post back if I have any glaring issues.

comper fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 13, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Maybe when it's last year's phone and they want to flush out the remaining inventory, like they're doing with the RAZR M right now for $1 on contract and $350 without.

Otherwise, yeah, it'll be $650 or close to it till the next model comes out.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

kitten smoothie posted:

Maybe when it's last year's phone and they want to flush out the remaining inventory, like they're doing with the RAZR M right now for $1 on contract and $350 without.

Otherwise, yeah, it'll be $650 or close to it till the next model comes out.

Ah see, I'd seen the RAZR M was down to 350 so assumed it was a normal thing. Bummer. :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Verizon has no incentive to lower phone prices unless they want to clear inventory since you can't really get a new phone from anywhere else.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

SpaceBanditos posted:

Im sure this question is not terribly removed from many of the "How do I get an Unlimited Data Verizon plan?" that are in this thread but for the sake of due diligence I would like to know about the process/feasibility of obtaining an unlimited data LTE plan for use with a hotspot or similar device.

The goal is to hopefully be able to replace my lovely $80 per month, 3mbps, 3gb/day capped radiowave internet in my home with the great bandwidth of the LTE tower right next to my house. I already skirt the line with tethering my phone (on an unlimited plan) when I need to download something large or want to watch a season of something on Netflix but would love to be able to share the connection without needing to have my phone out of comission.

Im assuming that I'd need to do the following:

1: Assume liability on someones unlimited plan (for $$$$)Maybe one like this and then drop the phone line? (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Verizon-Unlimited-Data-Line-with-1-regular-lines-basic-non-data-/271276557612?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item3f2957c52c)
2: Buy/Register my LTE device on the new plan(do I have to use a jetpack or could a LTE router also work? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/device/usb-modem/verizon-4g-lte-router) ($279 for one with no contract?)
3: ??magic??
4: Replace my lovely home internet with the sweet sweet goodness of unlimited LTE that I can share across all of my home devices!

What the hell is the going rate on one of these accounts these days anyways? (or a decently regarded place to source people selling them) And if all I need is a plan with 1 line of unlimited data how much should I expect the plan to run monthly?

I am in a similar situation - we just moved to a sweet new house in the country but the internet options are garbage. Dishnet has a data cap of 20GB a month and DSL has a max download speed of 1.5Mbps. Is there a feasible way to use the Verizon 4G network in the area as a home internet?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Hughmoris posted:

I'm going to help my sister port her two numbers away from Verizon to T-Mobile. I have a few questions on how to do it. For the process, the only information we'll need for Verizon is the account number and the billing pin/password, right? If she doesn't know what the PIN is, can she change it online? Also, is it possible to start the port process on a Saturday? How long does it typically take to go through? Thanks.

You will need the billing password. You can change it by dialing 611 from the phone and have her change it. When porting from Verizon to Tmo I've never had it take longer than a few minutes unless the entered password is incorrect any day of the week. It is very quick.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

To port you need:
  • The number you want to port :downs:
  • Account owner name
  • Account number
  • Billing address
  • Billing PIN or Password.
VZW billing passwords are 1-5 alphanumeric non-case-sensative characters. If no billing system password exists the last 4 of the account owner's SSN is the default password.

The password can be changed online only by the My Verizon account registered as account owner. Plus you need to know what it currently is to change it.

Only the account owner can call CS to reset the password if it is unknown. Other authorized people on the account can verify other things to get account help if they don't know the password but it can never ever ever ever ever ever ever be given out and non-owners cannot change it.

Edit: somebody already answered this.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Ishamael posted:

I am in a similar situation - we just moved to a sweet new house in the country but the internet options are garbage. Dishnet has a data cap of 20GB a month and DSL has a max download speed of 1.5Mbps. Is there a feasible way to use the Verizon 4G network in the area as a home internet?

OK, so I looked into this, and basically the answer is, "if you want to pay for it". You can get up to 50GB/month of hotspot data use, but it costs $300 per month. Even the 20GB is $150, and that is twice what Dishnet costs.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Ishamael posted:

OK, so I looked into this, and basically the answer is, "if you want to pay for it". You can get up to 50GB/month of hotspot data use, but it costs $300 per month. Even the 20GB is $150, and that is twice what Dishnet costs.
I've mentioned it earlier in the thread but my ONLY option for internet access is via my Verizon Jetpack. I'm on the 40GB plan and while expensive as gently caress, yes it works quite well for home access.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I upgraded from my gnex to an HTC One today and the difference is night and day. I didn't realize so many places had 4G.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FordPRefectLL posted:

I upgraded from my gnex to an HTC One today and the difference is night and day. I didn't realize so many places had 4G.

Their coverage is unparalleled, from what I understand. Anywhere outside I get 4G, and the only place I can never get 3G is my basement.

It's so much faster than 3G, too. Like, jeez. Faster than my home internet.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

It's so much faster than 3G, too. Like, jeez. Faster than my home internet.

Yeah Comcast sucks :suicide:

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Ishamael posted:

I did that math also, which is why I was asking about assuming another persons unlimited data plan and then "abusing" it as my sole home connection that that there was no cap to contend with or overages to worry about.

So I guess it isn't possible? Maybe one of the more knowledgeable posters could confirm it one way or the other.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Millenicom is a MVNO that offers 20GB of Verizon LTE/3G for $69.99/month. The $79.99 plans run on Sprint LTE if that's available to you.

http://millenicom.com/plans/

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

My indirect rep just texted me to let me know that if I get any individual unlimited upgrades on Verizon that I can transition them to the 6GB plan for the same price instead of 2GB during an upgrade . Don't know how long it's good for, I'll post more details when I get to work.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It's limited time. No specific time end date.

Pricing:

·  SFO 79398: $30 Loyalty Max 6GB

·  SFO 79400: $50 Loyalty Max 8GB with Mobile Hotspot

·  SFO 79399: $45 Loyalty Max 6GB & Corp Email

·  SFO 79406: $65 Loyalty Max 8GB Email/MHS

Might be worth it if you use less than 6 but more than 2, I guess.

EDIT: Just noticed a caveat. There's no way to do this if ordering online, you have to go to a store or an indirect.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is it at all possible to get this on an existing line with upgrade date in 2015? I'd love to triple my cap for the same price I'm already paying.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Are those plans only available when upgrading phones? I'll be upgrading to new iPhones and I'd rather have 6gb on the three phones separately than switching to share everything.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

It's only available if you're upgrading and are currently on an unlimited plan but don't want to switch to share everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Ugh, drat. 2GB is bullshit. Hey, here's some ultra fast 4G LTE. Don't bother using it, though, you'll just blow through your 2GB cap in a week and we'll charge you out the rear end for the extra poo poo.

• Locked thread