Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

chumbler posted:

Yeah, uhhh... pretty sure that's not what you meant to link there, bud. Warning to others: Don't click that link, especially if you're at work.

Here is the actual video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaioCRt4Aww

It looks like I'm going to have fun exploring the environments. Maybe I'm blind, though, but I didn't see a link to a video for the four other locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dragonatrix posted:

And he certainly succeeded in that he broke time.

Apparently not for very long, though. Everything we've seen of 13-3 has suggested that time got fixed off-screen, between games.

They'll probably go with "a wizard god did it."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't see how Yuel being alive is a plothole. The whole point of Caius' plan was so Yuel could stay living, so I'd be surprised if she wasn't around. When I first saw her, I assumed it was a new one (since the current one, Serah, is dead) but I guess that can't happen when time is frozen.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Vanderdeath posted:

Mummers' farce is a very olden English thing but smallfolk is more than likely from ASoIaF. I like XIV's localization but I'd rather have them lean more towards Alexander O. Smith than GRRM.

GRRM is a fantastic writer so I think they made a good choice.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

PunkBoy posted:

It looks like I'm going to have fun exploring the environments. Maybe I'm blind, though, but I didn't see a link to a video for the four other locations.

It should show up at the very end, with clickable links to other videos.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I can't believe there are this many people who actually care about the continuity of the XIII series.

I'm just pissed off that she's back because she was loving annoying, not because it contradicts the last game somehow. If I wanted creepy, underage, monotone girls, then I'd play Star Ocean.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

They were certainly starting to lean toward GRRM in their release schedule for a while.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Momomo posted:

I don't see how Yuel being alive is a plothole. The whole point of Caius' plan was so Yuel could stay living, so I'd be surprised if she wasn't around. When I first saw her, I assumed it was a new one (since the current one, Serah, is dead) but I guess that can't happen when time is frozen.

They shouldn't have put her in the game. Caius' plan worked out, fantastic. Leave them. Leave Caius the Mary Sue dead and just forget about Yeul. The former is a terrible character and the latter is a humanoid exposition box spouting Toriyama's nonsense about Paradoxes and Chaos. I have no idea why they put Yeul into LR, other than continuity acknowledgement. I cannot think of any way her inclusion would contribute to the game.

Was she really popular in Japan, or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are you seriously arguing that the sequel to a game where the villain wins should not actually address the villain's victory? I mean I hate FFXIII-2's plot more than I can say but it would be insane to go "Oh, well, he won, so I guess we don't need to talk about him anymore" in a direct sequel.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I actually really liked Caius's visual design, at least. His weird trinkety purple zebra-stripe headband makes him look like an Amano character or something.

\/:sweatdrop:\/

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Are you seriously arguing that the sequel to a game where the villain wins should not actually address the villain's victory? I mean I hate FFXIII-2's plot more than I can say but it would be insane to go "Oh, well, he won, so I guess we don't need to talk about him anymore" in a direct sequel.

That's be true if 13-3 cared in the slightest about the specifics of 13-2's ending. Seriously, they wrote themselves into a corner and have, from little we've seen, started retconning that poo poo so much they might have just said "No No no here's what really happened. Which is what they have to do because 13-2's plot was dumb, the ending was the most confusing convoluted mess in the franchise and 13-3 would be better off by just saying "No that didn't happen, Caius just hosed up time even more so this is what's happening"

Mostly because Caius won and time doesn't exist and apparently neither does anything so continuing on from that is... well it's im-loving-possible narratively speaking. Like "Yay, I won! Now lets see the consequences of non-existence!" would logically lead to a black screen of nothing so starting a story after that you kind of have to retcon that ending and say "Yeah, that's only kinda sorta was happened." Hell, if his goal was to stop the cycle of rebirth so he could be with Yeul forever the fact that she's there in the world kind of shows he didn't win so the ending of 13-2 where it's her and him sitting in the Outside-Of-Time-Ruined-Valhalla doesn't make much sense since there she is, inside the world, reborn again.

Man I hope 13-3 isn't terrible and ignores 13-2 as much as possible, cause 13-2 is just a mish-mash of random plot threads and ideas put together with no cohesive structure.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

Mummers' farce is a very olden English thing but smallfolk is more than likely from ASoIaF. I like XIV's localization but I'd rather have them lean more towards Alexander O. Smith than GRRM.

Well yes, both are actual old-timey words and phrases. I'd still bet you any amount of money that the reason they're all over the place in XIV instead of other, equally old-timey words is because they're used pretty heavily in ASoIaF. Just saying, someone on the localization team pretty obviously has a big old wang boner for GRRM.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Fungah! posted:

Well yes, both are actual old-timey words and phrases. I'd still bet you any amount of money that the reason they're all over the place in XIV instead of other, equally old-timey words is because they're used pretty heavily in ASoIaF. Just saying, someone on the localization team pretty obviously has a big old wang boner for GRRM.

There was at least one nipples on a breastplate reference in old FF14, but they did have the decency to not have neeps and nuncles on every other page which is more than you can really say for the gurm.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

When your villains are an invincible, infallible Mary Sue (whose only good thing is his voice actor) and an emotionless exposition box (whose only memorable because of how unbearably boring she is) then yes, I think they should disappear in a black hole.

The whole game is nothing but addressing Caius' victory. I can accept that. But don't put them back in the game as neither are compelling villains.

Put them on a bus.
Kill them off screen (actually Caius should be dead since he was stabbed through his heart of Etr-oh god nevermind what am I doing?)
Say Paradoxes/Chaos got them (which would actually be ironic and somewhat poignant!)

Anything is better than hearing their droning exposition.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Dragonatrix posted:

And he certainly succeeded in that he broke time.

Apparently not for very long, though. Everything we've seen of 13-3 has suggested that time got fixed off-screen, between games.

I thought it suggested more that Chaos is eating the world than time itself being fixed.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I actually really liked Caius's visual design, at least. His weird trinkety purple zebra-stripe headband makes him look like an Amano character or something.

\/:sweatdrop:\/

If I recall correctly, his design was influenced by Amano's design of Leon from FFII. I like his design, too - the only complaint I have is that sword; that thing is ugly as poo poo.

SSNeoman posted:

When your villains are an invincible, infallible Mary Sue (whose only good thing is his voice actor) and an emotionless exposition box (whose only memorable because of how unbearably boring she is) then yes, I think they should disappear in a black hole.

The whole game is nothing but addressing Caius' victory. I can accept that. But don't put them back in the game as neither are compelling villains.

Put them on a bus.
Kill them off screen (actually Caius should be dead since he was stabbed through his heart of Etr-oh god nevermind what am I doing?)
Say Paradoxes/Chaos got them (which would actually be ironic and somewhat poignant!)

Anything is better than hearing their droning exposition.

They've still got to address them, really. I know this is FFXIII, and I agree fully with your opinions of the characters themselves...but not dealing with them at all in the sequel (which is the result of their actions) would feel odd, and unclimatic.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SSNeoman posted:

They shouldn't have put her in the game. Caius' plan worked out, fantastic. Leave them. Leave Caius the Mary Sue dead and just forget about Yeul. The former is a terrible character and the latter is a humanoid exposition box spouting Toriyama's nonsense about Paradoxes and Chaos. I have no idea why they put Yeul into LR, other than continuity acknowledgement. I cannot think of any way her inclusion would contribute to the game.

Was she really popular in Japan, or something?

I guess, but like, almost everything we seen from this game, character wise, has been pretty terrible anyway. It just seemed like people were surprised she was included, for whatever reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's be true if 13-3 cared in the slightest about the specifics of 13-2's ending. Seriously, they wrote themselves into a corner and have, from little we've seen, started retconning that poo poo so much they might have just said "No No no here's what really happened. Which is what they have to do because 13-2's plot was dumb, the ending was the most confusing convoluted mess in the franchise and 13-3 would be better off by just saying "No that didn't happen, Caius just hosed up time even more so this is what's happening"

Mostly because Caius won and time doesn't exist and apparently neither does anything so continuing on from that is... well it's im-loving-possible narratively speaking. Like "Yay, I won! Now lets see the consequences of non-existence!" would logically lead to a black screen of nothing so starting a story after that you kind of have to retcon that ending and say "Yeah, that's only kinda sorta was happened." Hell, if his goal was to stop the cycle of rebirth so he could be with Yeul forever the fact that she's there in the world kind of shows he didn't win so the ending of 13-2 where it's her and him sitting in the Outside-Of-Time-Ruined-Valhalla doesn't make much sense since there she is, inside the world, reborn again.

Man I hope 13-3 isn't terrible and ignores 13-2 as much as possible, cause 13-2 is just a mish-mash of random plot threads and ideas put together with no cohesive structure.

To my understanding, time is in fact hosed in FFXIII-3. People don't age or change, it's impossible for new people to be born, and in general the world is this bizarre semi-stasis where things no longer advance. So they're going for "time doesn't exist" in a really weird metaphysical way, not retconning it. None of this is particularly surprising because it matches up with the stupid alt-endings in FFXIII-2.

And from any writing perspective, killing off your major villains offscreen is just bad writing. I don't like the characters either but they have to be addressed or else the writing is even worse than it would be otherwise. Can you imagine any other game or movie or book series where they villains had a major gigantic victory and then were shuffled offscreen? People got angry where the drat Kraken got killed offscreen in Pirates of the Caribbean and that was a complete nonentity of a character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 14, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFRlbaZUOJA

A video of every(?) costume in LR. Most of them are absolutely horrible, with a few neat exceptions. Some of them look pretty cool until you notice they "forgot" to add a pair of pants :sigh:

I like the *spoilers just in case*The witch outfits, the space paladin getup, femLocke, pirate, Sergeant Pepper's Lightning, masquerade dress, the tuxedo, C. Viper, Cloud, original Lightning (best outfit of the bunch).

The rest are ghastly and/or recolors.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 14, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFRlbaZUOJA

A video of every(?) costume in LR. Most of them are absolutely horrible, with a few neat exceptions. Some of them look pretty cool until you notice they "forgot" to add a pair of pants :sigh:

That's not every one, there aren't some they've shown in screenshots already.

That is a lot of ugly costumes tho'.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm liking the formal wear at :25 and the vest and tie at :27.

EDIT: Basically, the ones with pants seem pretty cool overall.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 14, 2013

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
They've said over 80 and around 100 costumes in the game. And I'm sure there will be a bunch as DLC.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The best thing about the video is the accessories, like the shades and choco-hat.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
As long as there's enough for me to never have to wear the terrible ones.

This one really emphasized how creepily bizarre Lightning's proportions are.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpAtom posted:

To my understanding, time is in fact hosed in FFXIII-3. People don't age or change, it's impossible for new people to be born, and in general the world is this bizarre semi-stasis where things no longer advance. So they're going for "time doesn't exist" in a really weird metaphysical way, not retconning it.
So it's "Einstein's Dreams: the Game"?

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Coughing Hobo posted:

As long as there's enough for me to never have to wear the terrible ones.

This one really emphasized how creepily bizarre Lightning's proportions are

It's about time they put a character with Marfan syndrome into a game

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes I too am supremely confused about the ending ("look I'm blowing up the world") and how it relates to the sequel ("oh no the world is blowing up").

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

And from any writing perspective, killing off your major villains offscreen is just bad writing. I don't like the characters either but they have to be addressed or else the writing is even worse than it would be otherwise. Can you imagine any other game or movie or book series where they villains had a major gigantic victory and then were shuffled offscreen? People got angry where the drat Kraken got killed offscreen in Pirates of the Caribbean and that was a complete nonentity of a character.

Yes, if this was about a story with a coherent plot and continuity. Since this is FFXIII, continuity is malleable at best and optional at worst. I can easily explain their possible deaths:
Caius died with the destruction of Etro's heart or exists in his own dream world. He got run through by Noel's sword, he SHOULD be dead.
You just try to tell me that this is worse writing than the explanation SE gave for his apparent survival: "despite the loss of his physical body, he lives through the Chaos". I defy you to read that sentence and not :rolleyes:

Yeul got lost in a sea of Chaos, shown in one of those fancy flashbacks SE loves so much. You can even show her falling into a black lake of chaos while her voice echoes during a monologue, seeing as that is SE's thing. Okay, that's bad writing I admit.
On the other hand it's Yeul who cares?
Actually, that's a serious question. Is there anyone here who actually cares about Yeul? If so, why? I genuinely wanna hear your reasons and I won't be a dick if you post them.

And furthermore we will have to save Caius in LR. WHY!? He is single-handedly responsible for the state of the world. Why do the devs think I have any sympathy for him? He forces his ideas upon Yeul, who in turn meekly follows him while he fulfills his mad ambitions. That does not endear him to me. I realize they were going for a Nier-esque father-daughter relationship, but they missed by a mile.
And considering how the end of the world will mean her death, he didn't even accomplish his goal.

Pesky Splinter posted:

If I recall correctly, his design was influenced by Amano's design of Leon from FFII. I like his design, too - the only complaint I have is that sword; that thing is ugly as poo poo.

I do like his design yeah. And I agree, I think the sword looks bad. It could work if they showed it becoming more twisted and gnarled as time goes on, showing how Caius doesn't change throughout the ages, but his sword does.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 15, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The fact that you don't like the character doesn't make "and then they died offscreen" acceptable, even by the lovely standards of FFXIII. The fact that most of it is badly written doesn't mean they should make it even more poorly written.

I mean I get what you're saying but the solution to bad writing isn't worse writing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fungah! posted:

On a related note, good god drat does the FFXIV localization team love A Song of Ice and Fire. Can't go two lines without seeing the word "smallfolk" or having someone say "mummer's farce."

Also sex. Loooots of talking about sex.

Do they constantly mention boiled leather, rushes, and go in to painstaking detail about food as well?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was a bit hopeful for FF13-3 but I think I'm less hopeful for it just reading what people are saying now (Never played 13-2).

Still holding out hope for 15 :v:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SSNeoman posted:

And furthermore we will have to save Caius in LR.

Maybe that's how you unlock the Caius costume.

I want a Caius costume.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Glad to see some Caius talk. I liked Caius but like just about everyone else hated that he wielded Soul Edge.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Surely you meant to say "giant feather", and not "Soul Edge"?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
His lovely voice made me sit through all his lovely dialogue so that was some genius casting. Too bad they didn't do the same for Yeul. If they'd gotten Jennifer Hale I would've been able to listen to her exposition no problem. Doesn't matter that the voice wouldn't fit her!

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

His lovely voice made me sit through all his lovely dialogue so that was some genius casting. Too bad they didn't do the same for Yeul. If they'd gotten Jennifer Hale I would've been able to listen to her exposition no problem. Doesn't matter that the voice wouldn't fit her!

I wouldn't mind if there was a scene where Caius just reads a phone book cover to cover.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that you don't like the character doesn't make "and then they died offscreen" acceptable, even by the lovely standards of FFXIII. The fact that most of it is badly written doesn't mean they should make it even more poorly written.

I mean I get what you're saying but the solution to bad writing isn't worse writing.

That's...okay yeah that's true.
I just hope that her role isn't as bad as it was in XIII-2. I mean she was completely auxiliary to the plot. If she was removed from the game, the only thing that would happen is that Caius' motivation would become the same as all other Final Fantasy last bosses.
But, fine you guys are right. Hell who knows. Maybe SE will surprise me.

Can we all agree that Caius should by all rights be dead though?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Weeeeeell, considering he shared hearts with a fricking goddess and both goddesses and villains are notoriously hard to kill in FF games, and all the space/time fuckery in the trilogy, I wouldn't really put it past them to include him in some way. He might even turn into the final boss again.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Are we talking Jennifer Hale actually trying? Because I can listen to her insane babble as Emma in MGS2 but the dead, monotone voice of MGS4 Naomi really could put me to sleep.

She was an awesome Black Cat in 99s Spider-Man too. That show should be remembered more considering the great work of the guys who played SPidey and Kingpin and so-on. David Hayter was Captain America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
She played a character who went from "fine" to dead in cancer in minutes, and had sex with Otacon. I can't blame Hale for just giving up.