Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I am enjoying this after finishing the first run, but find I can't read more than a chapter or two at a time. Like, I like it and all, but trying to read more than that in one go and I just entirely lose interest. Most series I can't get enough of, but this one I find myself getting distracted by other things midchapter. Weird, since it's not a bad series per say, though the author saying the first series was supposed to be a one-shot is extremely telling.

edit: WOW Tsubaki, gettin' kinda borderline molesty in Koi Dano Ai Dano! Hormones and frustration boiling over.
Yeah, the first series has some issues with pacing and structure-- you can tell the author is experimenting with the episodic format and not quite getting it together. Once she drops the whole thing of Kanoko having to move schools and starts doing more long-term stuff with the main characters, it gets a lot better.

And yes, Tsubaki is both the best and the worst. I'm sure I'd hate him in the hands of any other author, but in this case I even feel sorry for him (while enjoying his mostly self-inflicted torment). I cannot wait for the inevitable reckoning that will come when Kanoko realizes what all the ~friendship hugs~ and him always being ~too close~ is really about-- I even feel like it might actually happen, since the author has so far shown that Kanoko hasn't forgotten how much of a petty rear end in a top hat he was in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, after reading the majority of the chapters currently out, this series is kinda not so great. Especially with what happens in chapter 17 with Okyou putting on her KnT Joe-pants, it really says something that the subtitle for this series is "a cynical high school romantic comedy!" because god drat, it's like Kimi ni Todoke's evil twin. Instead of having the main characters be boring and uninteresting for a while and the side characters totally steal the show, the two main characters are moderately interesting while every single side character is completely disposable/hasn't really been developed much at all. Sayuri's one of the only exceptions, and that's a stretch. Koi Dono Ai Dono, at least in the last ten chapters, has felt like Going Through The Motions: The Series. It seems like it's trying to be a parody of the typical high school romance like KnT but winds up just being another generic misunderstandingfest with a couple fairly interesting characters including one who is by far the most romantically dense of any character I've seen in a series(how do you ignore/misconstrue neck nibbling, no less than three attempted kisses where he holds her down, pretty much every single thing he does, really). He's getting pretty creepy, honestly, what with ignoring the "you're hurting me!" as he pins her to the wall during an attempted kiss. KDAD is occasionally pretty interesting, there were a few chapters recently with some intriguing developments such as the stuff with the beauty pageant and the two heroes getting outsmarted, and the first seven chapters were pretty great, but other than that it's been kind of a boring slog.

I remember seeing one of the author's notes saying "sorry to those who expected this to actually be a romance", which truly is cynical as hell. That combined with the "this was supposed to be a one-shot" is like saying "I've found my cash cow, sorry all".

I'd give this series a 5 out of 10 so far, counting the previous series as part of it, that was pretty decent.

edit: thinking about it, I feel like it would do much better as a smaller chapter series, rather than having monstrous 40-50 page epics each chapter. There's just not enough substance for it to justify so many pages per chapter.

edit: Caught up, well I was wondering when it'd get around to having Tsubaki and Naedoko enter the election themselves, looks like that's exactly what is happening right now. What a shocker. That 19.5 chapter was pretty drat good, though.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 9, 2013

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Jistu wa watashi wa... (The Truth Is I am...)

A guy with no poker face thus bad at lying stumbles on a secret of the girl he likes. Shes a vampire Plus 3 of the best bros ever.

Only a couple chapters though and the first one is a pretty rough scan.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

.Clash posted:

Jistu wa watashi wa... (The Truth Is I am...)

A guy with no poker face thus bad at lying stumbles on a secret of the girl he likes. Shes a vampire Plus 3 of the best bros ever.

Only a couple chapters though and the first one is a pretty rough scan.

"Just what did he saw in this cute girl?" sounds like a slasher movie cliffhanger. Goddamn.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Manga no Tsukurikata is odd to me. One the one hand, it's definitely very yuri, which I of course appreciate, but I'd say like 60% of it was about the life of a mangaka. Obviously, fiction can only emulate reality so much, but I do wonder how much pressure mangaka are under to put out a consistently good product for their editors. The majority of scenes in the story thus far are of the two leads writing / drawing their respective manga, so I wonder how much the author intends to play up the yuri.

On that subject, the two leads are kinda frustrating. I really like both of them, but then again I don't exactly have the most discriminating tastes. They obviously care about each other a lot, as even apart, they're on each others' mind all the time. There's a scene in chapter 32 where they share a bed together where the kouhai in the relationship is talking about how lonely she is without her sempai. Her love for her sempai is no secret to either of them, but they've never really seriously gotten together yet, but her feelings are not exactly unrequited.

I'd say the author was trying so far to make a statement how the pressures of writing manga leads to the exclusion of the important people in the author's life, but with an ongoing series like this, it's hard to say how much any angle in the story is going to get played up. But just to take a ballpark guess, I'd say the series is going to share a lot with Sasameki Koto in that the story is more about the dance of the relationship than the relationship itself, like, say, Octave was. Well, I'll be interested in the journey in any case, however long this thing goes on.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Manga no Tsukurikata is basically Sasameki Koto with the humor and (admittedly often cliched) drama replaced with scenes of people drawing manga. Just sitting there drawing. And little else happening, certainly nothing romantic. It's pretty much the most frustrating manga in existence.

E: It could be good too, since the art is generally great and the writing isn't really bad, except for having less happen than even most SoL series. Which makes it worse.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, Wandering Son Vol. 5 is listed as being released if you go on fantagraphic's site, but amazon says it's not out until November.

http://www.fantagraphics.com/browse-shop/wandering-son-vol.-5.html

Gonna order it direct and see what happens.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So... I don't know if this is the right thread - I hope it is! I was a big fan of manga when I was a young teen back in like.. '02-'05 or so, basically I kinda missed the huge licensing boom and was sort of bemused and annoyed that all this manga I had read and enjoyed via scanlation was now showing up on the shelves.

Even weirder, I was always a fan of yaoi/shounen ai, and even a shockingly vast quantity of that got licensed and released over here, even though many of the publishers are now defunct (BLU, Tokyopop's semi-secret yaoi imprint) or have significantly lowered their outpit (DMP/June/801) but luckily at least Viz has started up an imprint putting out great titles that are well-made (SuBLime).

In any case, the last six months or so I've gotten... semi-obsessed with collecting yaoi/shounen ai manga. I'm a bit embarrassed about it, because it mostly has to do with nostalgia and my affection for revisiting this genre that I was very fond of as a kid... I get a huge kick out of owning and re-reading manga that I had long ago read unofficial translations of, squinting at lovely cathode ray tube monitors over a decade ago. So there's something really nice about owning these officially translated copies ogf these manga. I had *never* been into collecting comics, or collecting much of anything before, but I really love collecting this stuff... Especially since the volumes I'm collecting are mostly first and only printings, mostly by now-defunct publishers. It's fun trackin down good prices and hard to find volumes.

Anyway, it would just be fun to, uh, be able to talk about it. Though I am not sure if this is necessarily the right place :ohdear:

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 15, 2013

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Yeah, go for it. Yuri gets talked about enough, so for the sake of balance I'd been hoping we'd get some BL readers posting.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
To be honest I was starting to wonder if maybe it was taboo. I recently started following a few series that I found browsing new updates on Batoto, because I'm always looking for manga with older characters and they seem to be way more common in yaoi. As someone without much backround in the genre I'd be interested in knowing what are considered classics or must-read series.

edit: Taiyou no Ie update, yay!

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 15, 2013

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I actually started reading BL recently because I ran out of scanlated josei that I enjoy. I also was looking for manga with older characters and more even relationships (this part is very hit or miss!). I mostly like "new wave" artists like Yamashita Tomoko and Kusama Sakae (these two at least do other genres as well), so I don't know much about the classics. I've actually been planning on a Yamashita Tomoko effortpost for awhile, but clearly haven't gotten around to it. I guess good older mangaka would be Yoshinaga Fumi and Yamada Yugi.

Anyway, I don't have much time, but I recommend the following by Yamashita Tomoko: Yes It's Me (BL short stories, a big fan of the title story), Mo'Some Sting (shojo/josei w/ gay characters, was licensed by JManga so probably hard to find), Kuimonodokoro Akira (straight up BL), Mud (a Josei oneshot that was posted elsewhere in ADTRW at some point), and Illumination (BL one shots, a little uneven but I really like a couple). If you're worried about penises, I don't recall ever seeing any. When there is sex, which is rare, it's a fade to black sort of thing.

Butter is her seinen romance. I was waiting for more of it to be scanned to start reading, but I just checked and 2 volumes are done so far.

Aaand an art sample, why not (not sure what this is from, actually):

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Wow, great! I am glad to hear there is some enthusiasm for the topic :)

Just to go over some stuff... In my posts I'll actually be differentiating all the BL manga I read into two categories: Yaoi and Shounen Ai. Some people might think that the two are synonymous, or that the difference might have to do with the ages of the characters involved, but neither are true. Based on my perception, Yaoi refers to BL manga that by definition contains sexually explicit material, which is sometimes the exclusive focus of the manga, and sometimes not. Shounen Ai, on the other hand, is manga that is primarily focused on character development, relationships, the emotions and feelings of the characters, etc - shounen ai generally contains nothing more explicit than kissing/hugging and maybe some implied sex that takes place off-screen.

I think there's actually some shoujo that skirts the line of shounen ai - and in some ways shounen ai is really a lot like shoujo manga except with homosexual relationships between boys being the romantic focus. And like shoujo, shounen ai can be light and fluffy and comedic as easily as it can be angsty and sad.

In any case! I'd like to both make some recommendations, and maybe do some reviews of various series I'm currently reading, although I'm really not sure where to start... The recommendations I'll make in this thread are probably going to be more on the shounen ai side of things, because I think it's generally more accessible to a wider audience and probably more well-suited to this thread... For instance, I've been reading a REALLY fantastic three-volume shounen ai series right now called Little Butterfly by Hinako Takanaga - who is easily my favorite BL mangaka. Even though it's just three volumes I'm taking this slow because it's so good - the name is a bit cheesy but it's just really well done... It's actually a fairly straightforward story at first but the mangaka is so talented that she just does amazing things with it.

Anyway I think I want to give it a proper review when I finish it, so I'll wait. Also, Kusaru, I am embarrassed but I haven't read any of that BL myself! Probably because I'm rather omnivorous when it comes to BL manga and don't mind traditional femmy ukes with big eyes. It looks worth checking out for sure, I especially liked what I saw of Yes It's Me on the sample on the amazon page...

... By the way I should add that I'm a bit weird in being very, very fond of actual physical books and something of a snob about this. To be honest, I don't much like reading manga digitally anymore and as I said I really love collecting and reading the physical books. I should probably buy a tablet and just get over it though, I doubt reading manga on an ipad would be much different.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kusaru posted:

Yoshinaga Fumi

I didn't recognize the name at first but I've read Kinou Nani Tabeta? and really enjoyed it. It's cooking-themed slice of life but also explores the relationship the two leads have, addressing things like how they met, what their coworkers think of them, and family problems that arise.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 15, 2013

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Everything Burrito posted:

I didn't recognize the name at first but I've read Kinou Nani Tabeta? and really enjoyed it. It's cooking-themed slice of life but also explores the relationship the two leads have, addressing things like how they met, what their coworkers think of them, and family problems that arise.

That manga sounds fantastic and really different from typical BL. I'm sure it's well done - when I hear Yoshinaga Fumi I immediately think of Antique Bakery which was a manga (definitely more shoujo than shounen ai but it had gay characters that it took seriously) which she did *years* ago that I read online way back in the day... I guess it spawned all kinds of stuff like an anime and even a TV show which according to wikipedia sucked every last bit of homosexuality from the source material, heh. Guess that's that's to be expected.

Regarding "Kinou Nani Tabeta?", which I actually just read the first chapter of briefly... Well, I always tend to find manga that actually acknowledges the reality of what it's like to be a gay man in Japan to be considerably better than the stuff that's locked into the more typical genre/characterization tropes of yaoi which have little to nothing to do with the actual *reality* of male homosexual relationships - need that even be said? I should add that I do not view this as a bad thing, always - I do not read yaoi/shounen-ai and always expect absolute realism; to me, it is often escapist fantasy, generally speaking, and there's little wrong with that. Lots of manga falls into that category.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

I have heard that Love Com is a good romantic series, but I didn't know if I should read the manga or watch the anime. I'm looking for a good romantic anime to watch, I liked the romance in The Tatami Galaxy. I know I should watch Revolutionary Girl Utena as well :derp:

I am reading Honey by Meguro Amu and it is really cute, but it is only 1 volume. The style is really pretty, and the characters are really cute.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RebBrownies fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 15, 2013

coathat
May 21, 2007

Vertical just recently liscensed that so you be able to buy it early next year. Also I'm stoked for volume eight of her other manga Oooku which should be here next week.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

kaworu posted:

Hinako Takanaga

I would like to warn against reading Koisuru Boukun by her. It's easily one of the rapiest, tropiest, emotioal blackmailiest, but still really popular BL out there.

I think I actually read this series via recommendation in this thread, and it was probably my gateway drug into BL now that I think about it. She's a great storyteller, and a lot of her stuff gets licensed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RebBrownies posted:

I have heard that Love Com is a good romantic series, but I didn't know if I should read the manga or watch the anime. I'm looking for a good romantic anime to watch, I liked the romance in The Tatami Galaxy. I know I should watch Revolutionary Girl Utena as well :derp:

Watch the anime for Love Com, the manga is great too, but the anime owns and cuts out some dumbness that shows up in the last act of the manga. Watch (and then read) Paradise Kiss as well.

The last several posts have been pretty cool since I know next to nothing about the genre, and my impressions of it are pretty well summed up by this episode of Turning Girls:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCgkbyKxbDA

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 15, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

coathat posted:

Vertical just recently liscensed that so you be able to buy it early next year. Also I'm stoked for volume eight of her other manga Oooku which should be here next week.

Yeah I saw it had been licensed when I was checking to see if I could link to it or not, so I put it on my Amazon wishlist to pick up when it comes out.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

I watched this on a whim and... holy poo poo, it's fantastic.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
While y'all are talking about gays could ya throw out some more yuri for me? I'll read everything, even stuff I already read and forgot about.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Kusaru posted:

I would like to warn against reading Koisuru Boukun by her. It's easily one of the rapiest, tropiest, emotioal blackmailiest, but still really popular BL out there.

Oh trust me I already know. And it's so fuckin' terrible because she's written some other stuff that is really fantastic, and I was just aghast when I tried to to read the first volume of that manga because... maybe it's just me... but non-consensual sodomy does not belong in a yaoi comedy series *shrug* And yet it's super-popular like you said!

The Hinako Takanaga series I recommended is just incredibly different as could be - it's decidedly opposed to all forms of rape and abuse and makes this very much known and is basically the point of the series. Which is one of those reasons why I liked it in so much, especially in a genre where you have to dodge the revolting non-con stuff like landmines.

edit: I should add for those unfamiliar that non-consensual sex is just a VERY common trope in the yaoi genre. Something you see a lot is that the uke (receptive partner who is usually younger and effeminate) is often in denial about his homosexuality and this creates the emotional conflict in WAY too many yaoi one-shots and series than I care to mention. Unfortunately, if your uke is in denial about his homosexuality, he is unlikely to have sex with any sexy masculine guys. Solution? Just have the seme (the pitcher, so to speak, who is always more masculine and generally fine with loving other men) rape the uke! That way they can continue the dramatic tension and still have sex scenes!

I'm not even joking when I say that this shows up over... and over... AND OVER AGAIN. Part of the reason why I stick to shounen ai is because it respects the characters much more and since the focus isn't on sex at all, you don't get horrific rape scenes that are intended to be arousing.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 16, 2013

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

gobbledygoat posted:

While y'all are talking about gays could ya throw out some more yuri for me? I'll read everything, even stuff I already read and forgot about.

Anything by Morishima Akiko (she draws lewd stuff but it's all in service to the moe/characters), Morinaga Milk, or Amano Shuninta

Or specific titles, The Flower and the Star, Wife and Wife, or Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep. This is all cutesy stuff that doesn't make you think, just feel. I'll toss in a mention for Kase-san, another thing that overflows with cuteness on every page.

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 16, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

kaworu posted:

:words: about rape

I totally agree (although since I like to read manga with sex scenes I have to sift through the smut I dislike to find the smut I like). To me it feels like some of the more distasteful and obnoxious shoujo tropes cranked up to 11. You still have the inequal relationships and inappropriate ages (teacher/student, boss/employee, middle-aged man/teen) but instead of forcefully taking the heroine's first kiss they're taking the smaller, weaker guy's butt virginity. I really hate that kind of stuff regardless of genre, especially when it gets used as a plot device to generate some sort of "true love" relationship.

I tend to avoid one-shots as a way to filter out some of the bad smut, and look for stories where the relationship has some time to develop and the characters get to know each other first. I think the ones where one guy is ostensibly straight and gets "converted" by true love are pretty silly but tolerable.

Here are some that I've read recently (don't read these at work, seriously):
Mousou Elektel
Ameiro Paradox
Vanilla Resort
Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai
Acid Town

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh man, those look like some fantastic recommendations... It's great because you're basically exposing me to a bunch of stuff that's really unfamiliar to me, because I've basically been sticking with reading licensed manga because I like reading physical books... Yet there really is this entire world of freaking awesome manga like the list Everything Burrito posted and I'm like really excited at the prospect of going through it :shobon:

The only mangaka I recognized off the top of my head from that list was Isaku Natsume, because she's the author of the one series that just got licensed (with volume 1 printed so far) by the one really great American BL publisher left, SuBLime. I'd actually like to specifically recommend this manga - False Memories by Isaku Natsume - which you can probably find a copy of at your local booktore/comic book store - if it carries BL titles at all it'll probably have this. Based on the first volume it appears to be a pretty drat good yaoi manga that is mature while still being amusing and fun.

I also want to add that I honestly think it's important to support current American BL publishers and actually buy the product they put out, if it's any good. Not that I'm making accusations because it's obviously fine to read scanlations of the vast amount of unlicensed stuff out there.

I totally agree (although since I like to read manga with sex scenes I have to sift through the smut I dislike to find the smut I like). To me it feels like some of the more distasteful and obnoxious shoujo tropes cranked up to 11. You still have the inequal relationships and inappropriate ages (teacher/student, boss/employee, middle-aged man/teen) but instead of forcefully taking the heroine's first kiss they're taking the smaller, weaker guy's butt virginity. I really hate that kind of stuff regardless of genre, especially when it gets used as a plot device to generate some sort of "true love" relationship.

I also agree with everything you're saying here, but at the same time, I find it odd because there are manga that, say, begin with a rape scene and then inexplicable turn into something else and never have any non-consensual scenes again!

Like I'm reading Junjo Romantica right now (I know, I know, but it's fun and silly and I like the drawing style so much) and even though like the very first scene in the very first chapter is a non-con scene... there's never anything remotely like that again in the ensuing six volumes of manga that I've read of the series, I don't think (and there's still six more volumes to go). That's definitely not always the case, though.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 16, 2013

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

UP AND ADAM posted:

Anything by Morishima Akiko (she draws lewd stuff but it's all in service to the moe/characters), Morinaga Milk, or Amano Shuninta

Or specific titles, The Flower and the Star, Wife and Wife, or Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep. This is all cutesy stuff that doesn't make you think, just feel.

Aahhh this stuff destroys me. Being gay rules sometimes.

gobbledygoat fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 16, 2013

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

Does anyone have any recommendations for BL that's not smutty? I don't mind reading the more perverted stuff, but sometimes I just want to read funny or cute series. Sometimes I think I've come across a cutesy manga, but then the author sticks in a haphazard sex scene on the last 3 pages.

One BL I remember liking is Honto Yajuu. It's about a yakuza member who falls in love with a cop, and it's pretty adorable. It does have sex scenes though, so keep that in mind, and it's been a bit since I've read it so I can't vouch that it doesn't have terrible cliches in it. I enjoy the "yakuza member likes a non yakuza member" dynamic (or just a delinquent/tough person and a regular person), since they always turn out really goofy and ridiculous, but I can't find a whole lot like that. I've seen some shojo with that plot, and found another BL, but the latter was kind of creepy. :shobon:

UP AND ADAM posted:

Or specific titles, The Flower and the Star, Wife and Wife, or Lonely Wolf, Lonely Sheep. This is all cutesy stuff that doesn't make you think, just feel. I'll toss in a mention for Kase-san, another thing that overflows with cuteness on every page.

Thanks for these suggestions, I have trouble finding cute yuri, and these all sound excellent.

BrilliantFool
Jan 23, 2007

Bravo.

Chrysolith posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for BL that's not smutty?

I recommended it in this thread a while back, but since I love it so much I'll recommend it again- Seven Days. Most of the time I avoid BL stuff but this one's pretty great.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before
Oh hey, cool to hear that the subject of BL isn't off-grounds! It's time for me to give back to this thread.

My favorite BL author is Hayakawa Nojiko, who's not got a lot of work behind her just yet. But she has a really, really fantastic way with atmosphere and page composition. Her artwork is a little loose and sketchy looking, but I think that's part of the charm. Her finished work are as follows:

- Endou-kun no Kansatsu Nikki.
- Yozora no Sumikko de.
- Kurayami ni Strobe.
- Toshokan no Yokai.

According to her twitter, Kurayami ni Strobe is due for two more side chapters before everything gets collected in a book proper towards the end of the year, though it sounds like the main story is more-or-less done. There's also no outright smut in any of her stuff so far, though there is a (brief) suggestive daydream and a few heated moments here and there.

I also recommend Doukyuusei by Nakamura Asumiko. It doesn't break any particular new ground as far as high school romance stories go. But in a genre that's over saturated with problematic stereotypes and rape, it is pretty refreshing! (While it stands on its own perfectly fine, Doukyuusei also has a sequel in Sotsugyousei, which follows Kusakabe and Sajou into their graduation. Said sequel does, however, crank up the rating because of sex and all that.) Nakamura's done some other BL, but a lot of them lean more on the psychological side of things.

Hideyoshico is also a pretty solid author! Negative-kun and Positive-kun is funny and sweet, as is Kanemochi-kun to Binbou-kun. On the more serious side of things, she has Ringo ni Hachimitsu and its sequel Kare no Barairo no Jinsei, and these latter two do feature smut.

Edit: Whoops, corrected a few links.

Dreamy Souffle fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 17, 2013

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been looking for some new stuff to read so thanks for those suggestions, definitely will check out those titles.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Chrysolith posted:

Thanks for these suggestions, I have trouble finding cute yuri, and these all sound excellent.

Honestly it's worth it just to go through the archives of Yuri Hime, Hirari and Tsubomi (R.I.P. Tsubomi), since they have a lot of cute one shots.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

gobbledygoat posted:

Poor Poor Lips is ridiculously cute and happy if you haven't read it.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Oh hey, cool to hear that the subject of BL isn't off-grounds! It's time for me to give back to this thread.

My favorite BL author is Hayakawa Nojiko, who's not got a lot of work behind her just yet. But she has a really, really fantastic way with atmosphere and page composition. Her artwork is a little loose and sketchy looking, but I think that's part of the charm. Her finished work are as follows:

- Endou-kun no Kansatsu Nikki.
- Yozora no Sumikko de.
- Kurayami ni Strobe.
- Toshokan no Yokai.

According to her twitter, Kurayami ni Strobe is due for two more side chapters before everything gets collected in a book proper towards the end of the year, though it sounds like the main story is more-or-less done. There's also no outright smut in any of her stuff so far, though there is a (brief) suggestive daydream and a few heated moments here and there.

I also recommend Doukyuusei by Nakamura Asumiko. It doesn't break any particular new ground as far as high school romance stories go. But in a genre that's over saturated with problematic stereotypes and rape, it is pretty refreshing! (While it stands on its own perfectly fine, Doukyuusei also has a sequel in Sotsugyousei, which follows Kusakabe and Sajou into their graduation. Said sequel does, however, crank up the rating because of sex and all that.) Nakamura's done some other BL, but a lot of them lean more on the psychological side of things.

Hideyoshico is also a pretty solid author! Negative-kun and Positive-kun is funny and sweet, as is Kanemochi-kun to Binbou-kun. On the more serious side of things, she has Ringo ni Hachimitsu and its sequel Kare no Barairo no Jinsei, and these latter two do feature smut.

Edit: Whoops, corrected a few links.

Those are all great recommendations. For newbies, keep in mind that for Hideyoshico, anything with an "A-kun to B-kun" title will have no sex, but her other stuff will. My personal favorite by her is Ringo ni Hachimitsu and its sequel.

I'd like to point out that Acme-dan scanlated pretty much all of the Hideyoshico and Hayakawa Nojiko stuff out there, so if you like those you will probably like their other releases. I can't think of anything they've released that I'd recommend against.

To all the other recommendations, I'd like to add Hana wa Saku ka by Hidaka Shoko. It's a super slow burn romance but there is an age difference (late 30's and 20-ish, so both are adults at least). The characters actually acknowledge that and are bothered by or work around it. It's not "cute" exactly, but very relaxed. It's licensed, but the first volume's release date has been pushed back a few times. It is ongoing, but I think it's planned to end at 5 volumes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm a bit late, but the ending to Aoi Hana kind of seemed like the author just didn't want to write it anymore. I should read Wandering Son at some point because [reasons] but what I really want is just some good yuri. :( I started Sasameki Koto and it seemed not good. Could've been the translation. I guess I'll have to get it another try, because it's that or... Maria-sama ga Miteru maybe? I dunno. I wonder if there are any good western comics that would fill that niche.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm a bit late, but the ending to Aoi Hana kind of seemed like the author just didn't want to write it anymore. I should read Wandering Son at some point because [reasons] but what I really want is just some good yuri. :( I started Sasameki Koto and it seemed not good. Could've been the translation. I guess I'll have to get it another try, because it's that or... Maria-sama ga Miteru maybe? I dunno. I wonder if there are any good western comics that would fill that niche.

Octave
Poor Poor Lips
Girl Friends
Husky & Medley (This is pretty short)
Chatting and the Amber Teahouse
Gokujou Drops is a little creepy power-controlly in the way that a lot of BL stuff is I guess, but in the end it's an interesting story.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

For Sasameki, as tired as the line may sound, stick with it. If it's doing nothing for you after chapter 15 or so, feel free to drop it. I'm quite enjoying it, but it definitely becomes more romantically intense between the leads as the story goes on.

Maria-sama I highly recommend. It's not actually particularly yuri as much as it is extremely romantic. Most of the relationships don't go into the "girlfriends" territory, but the emotional connection between the sister pairs is intense and should be what you're looking for. Very sugary sweet, but it's a very well-written series.

I'd also recommend the manga Octave. It's explicit, but you'll scarcely find better yuri. Sexy, romantic, poignant, and just an all-around extremely well told story. The ending isn't particularly conclusive, but if you had to ask me, that's not an insult. You'll understand why if you end up reading it, but if there's anything on this list you should check out, I'd recommend Octave.

Edit: I'll second the above poster regarding Amber Teahouse. It's a pretty short manga, shouldn't take you more than a couple hours or so, but it's also extremely sweet and very yuri. The author has gone on record saying he's at his happiest when two women are happy in a relationship, and it definitely shows in his work.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Yeah I've read the stuff people (ie a kitten :3:) recommend for yuri. Hadn't heard of Poor Poor Lips though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
It's not really a spoiler, but the main canon pairing in wandering son by the end is yuri. Of course, that ending is also rushed (not as much as Aoi Hana but it's still pretty rushed) and it's super long.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yeah I've read the stuff people (ie a kitten :3:) recommend for yuri. Hadn't heard of Poor Poor Lips though.

Poor Poor Lips is about an extremely poor girl who starts working in a jewelry store run by a wealthy woman who's openly lesbian. You can pretty much guess where the plot goes from there. Its a 4-koma with a very cutesy style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
That's the other thing. I'm pretty sure you could take any of my suggestions and carve through it in an afternoon if you read at a reasonable pace. Husky/Medley or Amber Teahouse are both really short but cute, Octave is a bit of a rollercoaster but doesn't take long to get through, Poor Poor Lips is "long" but it's drawn in the four-panel style so it goes quick. Girl Friends and Gokujou Drops are probably the longest due to storyline and panel complexity but still, a long afternoon would see you through either of them.

And I found Sasameki Koto to be pretty good but yes it starts off kind of slow and weird. There's also a couple bad translations I've seen compared to the good one.