Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I listen to black and folk metal while playing Norse rulers, because raiding and human sacrifices are metal as gently caress.

If you reform the religion you still get human sacrifice, right?

Yup. I just wish you could carve the blood eagle. It seems wrong to play as Ivar and let King Ælla off lightly with a mere execution.

You can't make rulers into concubines right? I've had the queen of Castille in my dungeons since she was five, now she's 16 I can't seem to make her my concubine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I'm in a little bit of an odd game- I formed the Wendish Empire about the size of a mega-HRE and was content to sit on that until the Spanish Muslims came up through France and conquered Germany. So now the same king has won crusades for France and Fraticelli Italy, as well as holy-warring most of Germany and Hungary, and I'm running into a problem. I don't have enough people to grant titles to. I don't like someone having more than one duchy if I can help it, but I'm out of kids, I'm out of close relatives, I'm out of faithful old mayors to upgrade, I have to parcel out all of Italy and there's no one to take it.

Also, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I have to parcel out all of Italy and there's no one to take it.

If you're fine with not putting your dynasty on those thrones, what I like to do is look in my vassals' courts. They're bound to have a few randomly generated courtiers the game gave them to fill out their courts.*

Or give them to those peasant rebel leaders you probably have hanging out in your prison, after demanding their conversion if they're not already of your religion. Irony is pretty funny.

*) Because drat are you alone if you start as one of the Norse rulers in 1066, and it kicks everyone out after a county conquest or holy war. Everyone count or above in my realm is either of my huge dynasty** or an auto-generated noble without parents.

**) I hope I'm doing it right if I'm taking three concubines, leaving my heir with a dozen brothers, even more sisters and three stepmothers all clawing at eachothers' eyes? I only had one ruler assassinated by his concubine so far.

E: vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Belasarius posted:

You can generate new vassal at the holding level if you click on the holding.
Not for the capital, though.

Darth Various fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 15, 2013

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
You can generate new vassal at the holding level if you click on the holding. I use "no hassals vassals" though, which does it all for you. Pretty much a must have if you conquer large swathes of territory.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
The ilkhanate kicks my teeth in with 125k doom stacks of horse archers. They have a "tactic" for +200% horse archer offense, so they dominate me when I try to attack with 250k stacks of my own.

Worse, the water squares not connected to the mediterranean don't count as "marine," so I have virtually no mobility and lose the bulk of my forces to attrition before I even get there.

How the heck do you deal with these assholes?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Darth Various posted:

Not for the capital, though.

Just give the county/duchy to one of the random barons/bishops/mayors that you generate via the right click menu.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
If you're really hard up for characters, I guess you could also use the "invite X to court" decisions, even though I gather those are mostly there to fill out council spaces.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Reveilled posted:

You can actually reform with all five holy sites in your realm regardless of your moral authority.

One other alternative is to build temples, which boost your moral authority. Rather expensive though.

This is true but if he got the remaining 2 holy sites it would push him over 50% anyway, and he wouldn't actually *need* to hold all 5 in order to reform.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
You know, I feel like when a plot to kill some random adventurer's wife has the backing of all two hundred and fifty of my vassals, including her own husband and all five patriarchs, I should really just be able to kill the girl myself, for crying out loud.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is anybody else having problems with DLCs in linux?

Back when I was using Mint, CK2 would run normally with all my DLCs active.

Now I switched to Chakra (same computer) and CK2 will run, but it wont detect my DLCs no matter what.

Searching the web Ive found lots of people with this same problem, but for most of then it was caused by the DLC directory name being uppercase instead of lowercase. But mine was already lowercase as its supposed to be. Renaming it to something else and then back to "dlc" didint helped either (seems like it solved the issue for some). Also tried "verify cache" in steam and nothing.

Dont know what else to try.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I have a sort of general strategy question: when you get DoWed by someone who you are completely outmatched by (they have triple your manpower or something) do you go through the motions of fighting it out, or just surrender immediately to save your levies for a fight you might win?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is anybody else having problems with DLCs in linux?

Back when I was using Mint, CK2 would run normally with all my DLCs active.

Now I switched to Chakra (same computer) and CK2 will run, but it wont detect my DLCs no matter what.

Searching the web Ive found lots of people with this same problem, but for most of then it was caused by the DLC directory name being uppercase instead of lowercase. But mine was already lowercase as its supposed to be. Renaming it to something else and then back to "dlc" didint helped either (seems like it solved the issue for some). Also tried "verify cache" in steam and nothing.

Dont know what else to try.

"Verify cache" won't help, gotta uninstall and reinstall.

I also had the case sensitivity problem. You really do have to mv DLC dlc

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

evenworse username posted:

I have a sort of general strategy question: when you get DoWed by someone who you are completely outmatched by (they have triple your manpower or something) do you go through the motions of fighting it out, or just surrender immediately to save your levies for a fight you might win?
Whether or not you are in danger of getting into a separate war is something that you should know, or at least have a pretty good idea of. Rebellious vassals, adventurers gathering armies, infidel neighbours... they can all be foreseen.

If those are a danger, then yeah surrender and save your money and troops. But otherwise, I always try to prolong it as much as possible because all sorts of things can happen to thwart an attack. Maybe your enemy randomly dies, maybe they get a major rebellion, maybe someone else attacks them. Maybe you manage to snag an alliance with the HRE at the last moment.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"Verify cache" won't help, gotta uninstall and reinstall.

I also had the case sensitivity problem. You really do have to mv DLC dlc

Ive already did uninstall and reinstall too. And mv DLC dlc (even though my dlc was already lowecase)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

[GODDAMN MONGOLIANS]

How the heck do you deal with these assholes?

Pretty much the same way everyone else historically dealt with them: Marry into them, or accept vassalization immediately eating the prestige hit and ride out the generation or two before the whole mess melts down after the khan's death, or assassinate the Il-Khan if his kid is real bad at everything, or lose everything fighting them and die an awful screaming death.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Willie Tomg posted:

Pretty much the same way everyone else historically dealt with them: Marry into them, or accept vassalization immediately eating the prestige hit and ride out the generation or two before the whole mess melts down after the khan's death, or assassinate the Il-Khan if his kid is real bad at everything, or lose everything fighting them and die an awful screaming death.

Assassination didn't dawn on me.

I killed literally every bedouin or mongol tengri character (3 dozen? more?). Now Kurdish Yazidis run the ilkhanate, and boy howdy do their vassals hate it. Also: no event troops or horse archers.

edit: nope they keep the horse archers because there are still a ton of bedouin culture nobles with norse or yazidi religion. and this means they keep the +200% offense too :(

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 17, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Starting a new Byzantine game in 867, should I immediately form the kingdoms of Greece and Anatolia or just not worry about? What are the pros and cons to forming them?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Starting a new Byzantine game in 867, should I immediately form the kingdoms of Greece and Anatolia or just not worry about? What are the pros and cons to forming them?

I wouldn't form kingdoms as the Byzantines until you've implemented your desired succession laws AND you have enough territory that any three kingdoms aren't enough to cause independence revolts. Byzantium gets free revocation of Duke-level titles, so while you're still not-huge it's more stable to just keep everything in the hands of your Dukes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I think this might be the best I've ever seen the AI perform when left to its own devices. About a hundred years before this picture, the various branches of Ragnar Lodbrok's family had sort of collapsed into a single realm under the Queen of Denmark, who had picked up most of the icy north but was struggling to get a third holy site for reforming the Norse faith, so as my little bit of player meddling, I gave the Queen the county of Zeeland so she'd be able to make herself Fylkja, as a reformed norse faith was one of the things I wanted to have in the world going into EU4. I wasn't sure how united her realm would stay, but for laughs I decided to also flip her realm over to Enatic succession, curious to see what would happen. One hundred years later:

I've never seen a more stable empire. Turns out female-only succession makes for peaceful transitions. It has civil wars from time to time, but in that whole hundred years the Crown lost one civil war. Germany and Great Moravia were wiped off the map, and if that's not bad enough...

...Hungary and half the tribes of the steppes have converted to Norse too. The Slavs and Romuvans are essentially encircled and the Norse are absolutely relentless in invading and converting them. I'll be surprised if there's anything left of them by the time the Mongols invade. Honestly it's a bit scary, even though my empire is safe and I'm just keeping it in a holding pattern until 1444 (my goal is to convert the entire Roman empire to Greek culture). I wouldn't want to be a traditional pagan living north of the Danube in my world right now.

And I guess I need to write an event that lets the Golden Horde go norse.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Zurai posted:

I wouldn't form kingdoms as the Byzantines until you've implemented your desired succession laws AND you have enough territory that any three kingdoms aren't enough to cause independence revolts. Byzantium gets free revocation of Duke-level titles, so while you're still not-huge it's more stable to just keep everything in the hands of your Dukes.

So if I form the kingdoms should I not hold the titles myself? Because my Britannia campaign has my emperor with the titles of 5 kingdoms along with the empire.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

You can, but it'll cause an opinion hit with the vassals of the kingdom ("Desires Kingdom of X", and "Too many held elector titles" if you have the Empire set up as Elective) and you always risk having them broken off in succession wars. When you're an Emperor, there's really no reason to hold Kingdoms directly.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Zurai posted:

You can, but it'll cause an opinion hit with the vassals of the kingdom ("Desires Kingdom of X", and "Too many held elector titles" if you have the Empire set up as Elective) and you always risk having them broken off in succession wars. When you're an Emperor, there's really no reason to hold Kingdoms directly.

Holding the Kingdoms directly appears to stop Liberation revolts, as far as I can tell. Plus Prestige, if that matters. It really depends on how good you are at controlling your vassals. If you aren't, destroy the titles.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So if I form the kingdoms should I not hold the titles myself? Because my Britannia campaign has my emperor with the titles of 5 kingdoms along with the empire.

The main issue with doing that normally is that it makes all your vassals have the -10 "Desires the kingdom of x" modifier. Which is usually fine if you play your cards right.

But there's a special hiccup with Byzantium: Born in the Purple. Born in the Purple applies only to the imperial title. Every child you have while ruler of the Byzantine empire gets the Born in the Purple trait. Any children you have before ascending the throne do not get the trait. and the imperial title passes to the eldest correctly-gendered child with the Born in the Purple trait, or the eldest correctly-gendered child if no eligible child with Born in the Purple exists. What this means is that if you have a son before being crowned, and a son after being crowned, your first son as the eldest child inherits the kingdoms of Greece and Anatolia, while your second son inherits the Byzantine empire due to being Born in the Purple.

You can get around that by crowning your son Caesar through an honorary title, but honestly it's a hassle you can do without.

fool_of_sound posted:

Holding the Kingdoms directly appears to stop Liberation revolts, as far as I can tell. Plus Prestige, if that matters. It really depends on how good you are at controlling your vassals. If you aren't, destroy the titles.

This is true but it doesn't affect revolt risk. The game decides there is a revolt first, then decides what sort of revolt it will be, so holding the kingdom titles just means you are swapping a liberation revolt for a peasant revolt.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 16, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Reveilled posted:

The main issue with doing that normally is that it makes all your vassals have the -10 "Desires the kingdom of x" modifier. Which is usually fine if you play your cards right.

Unless you're running elective. Once I tried running an empire on elective while holding like ten kingdoms in my hand. The kingdoms were on primogeniture, the empire was elective. It was hard getting the vassals to vote for my heirs because they'd all had a -75 "Elector Titles Held" modifier.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Reveilled posted:

This is true but it doesn't affect revolt risk. The game decides there is a revolt first, then decides what sort of revolt it will be, so holding the kingdom titles just means you are swapping a liberation revolt for a peasant revolt.

Which is a good thing, because Liberation revolt are substantially more dangerous than peasant revolts.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

As long as the Kingdoms are within your empire, you will not get Liberation revolts for them, regardless of you or one of your vassals holds the title.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Reveilled posted:

But there's a special hiccup with Byzantium: Born in the Purple. Born in the Purple applies only to the imperial title. Every child you have while ruler of the Byzantine empire gets the Born in the Purple trait. Any children you have before ascending the throne do not get the trait. and the imperial title passes to the eldest correctly-gendered child with the Born in the Purple trait, or the eldest correctly-gendered child if no eligible child with Born in the Purple exists. What this means is that if you have a son before being crowned, and a son after being crowned, your first son as the eldest child inherits the kingdoms of Greece and Anatolia, while your second son inherits the Byzantine empire due to being Born in the Purple.

You can get around that by crowning your son Caesar through an honorary title, but honestly it's a hassle you can do without.

Well then, I guess I just won't allow my heirs to get married prior to them ascending the throne. Kind of gamey but eh

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
The mac Mailer bloodline is going to poo poo. No one in the UK seems to be able to produce anything but endless numbers of daughters. At this point it feels like flipping to Absolute Cognatic would actually be the way to go. What the hell, people.

DrSunshine posted:

Unless you're running elective. Once I tried running an empire on elective while holding like ten kingdoms in my hand. The kingdoms were on primogeniture, the empire was elective. It was hard getting the vassals to vote for my heirs because they'd all had a -75 "Elector Titles Held" modifier.

Before I formed an empire, elective was basically cheating thanks to revolts. Jerks revolt, I take their stuff and replace them with people I've bribed or made happy some other way so that when the negatives are applied they're still way in the green. Now that I'm an emperor no one wants to fight me. There's always a dozen factions with <10% on them that last until a few people die and the process repeats with new idiots. Everyone hates me but no one will do anything about it. :/

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
So the entire game world is divided up between the British, Byzantine, Holy Roman and Russian empires, except for Poland, Perm, the last holdings of the Golden Horde and some Muslim realms in Arabia and the end of Africa's east coast. I can raise an army of 600K men, downloaded Sunset Invasion but I think it's too late for the Aztecs to show up, and at the start of the 1300s I'm ruling over a stable realm with not much going on but loving peasant revolts and breaking up plots. Pretty much ruling over a huge chunk of Europe in peace waiting for Timur to show up. Now what?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

So the entire game world is divided up between the British, Byzantine, Holy Roman and Russian empires, except for Poland, Perm, the last holdings of the Golden Horde and some Muslim realms in Arabia and the end of Africa's east coast. I can raise an army of 600K men, downloaded Sunset Invasion but I think it's too late for the Aztecs to show up, and at the start of the 1300s I'm ruling over a stable realm with not much going on but loving peasant revolts and breaking up plots. Pretty much ruling over a huge chunk of Europe in peace waiting for Timur to show up. Now what?

Actually the Sunset Invasion events can begin to start at any point between 1250-1350, so you might get to see them :shobon:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Cool, when I get my bricked computer replaced and can play CKII again I'll keep an alternate timeline save for the Aztecs, thanks. The main timeline save'd still have the "Now what?" problem though. :P

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

fool_of_sound posted:

Which is a good thing, because Liberation revolt are substantially more dangerous than peasant revolts.

I can't say I've ever considered a revolt dangerous, merely an annoyance. I've never had a revolt in my borders approach any degree of success at all, so all revolts are pretty much the same to me.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Yeah, liberation revolts tend to spawn with 15k troops or so compared to the regular 4k, but that's still just trivial to deal with because by the time you're holding multiple kingdom titles you've got plenty of troops

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Here's a weird thing I just spotted: the Pope in my game had a bastard child with one of his courtiers. Alright, nothing out of the ordinary... except he's inbred. They're both lowborn with no actual relation :catstare:

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think the game considers all lowborn/non-noble people to be of the same dynasty, "House Lowborn".

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

I think the game considers all lowborn/non-noble people to be of the same dynasty, "House Lowborn".

I believe inbred is based on the character string for DNA which you can see with the charinfo command though, so not *exactly* related to the dynasty. It just so happens that the two were very similar genetically

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Allyn posted:

Here's a weird thing I just spotted: the Pope in my game had a bastard child with one of his courtiers. Alright, nothing out of the ordinary... except he's inbred. They're both lowborn with no actual relation :catstare:

This happened to me once except the child was a girl that I married. I didn't know it at the time because she was just a quick girl with fantastic diplomacy that I found with the character finder but when the pope died I noticed I started getting a lot more money than before. Turns out she had a claim to the papacy which turned her into an antipope for some reason. So naturally everyone within my realm had her as their religious head. It was a pity I couldn't press her weak claim somehow.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

dPB posted:

This happened to me once except the child was a girl that I married. I didn't know it at the time because she was just a quick girl with fantastic diplomacy that I found with the character finder but when the pope died I noticed I started getting a lot more money than before. Turns out she had a claim to the papacy which turned her into an antipope for some reason. So naturally everyone within my realm had her as their religious head. It was a pity I couldn't press her weak claim somehow.

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned, and... ah... well... got the Pope pregnant.

EDIT: I wonder how many Hail Mary's that's worth?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Dammit, I get hold of three Norse holy sites (not easy when you start in Scotland- I'm emperor of Britannia now), and now the Norse Faith can't get moral authority worth a drat. I've used up my own prepared invasion, but we've apparently lost a couple of those and some Holy Wars. Reforming the faith in this game may be too lofty a goal, I'm afraid, but there's not much else to do but paint the map red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Lord posted:

Dammit, I get hold of three Norse holy sites (not easy when you start in Scotland- I'm emperor of Britannia now), and now the Norse Faith can't get moral authority worth a drat. I've used up my own prepared invasion, but we've apparently lost a couple of those and some Holy Wars. Reforming the faith in this game may be too lofty a goal, I'm afraid, but there's not much else to do but paint the map red.

Maybe steal the holy sites of other religions?

• Locked thread