Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Watched the last LP, sold my Wii before I could play the game proper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Nobody's commented on this, which is a shame because it's absolutely majestic. Also, it's the most accurate portrayal of Nopon that I personally have ever seen.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Today I watched all these videos. I noticed this LP a while ago. But to be honest, I waited till you where farther than on the last one.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Also a first time viewer here, and quite enjoying it on the whole.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I followed the last thread which made me get the game, anyway am watching too.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

vaguely posted:

Nobody's commented on this, which is a shame because it's absolutely majestic. Also, it's the most accurate portrayal of Nopon that I personally have ever seen.

Nobody commented on it because of the vicious disappointment that is a lack of dancing Snoop.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

vaguely posted:

Agreed, this is great and deserves more love.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lethemonster posted:

For big ones I will, the other thing preventing it was that it was a repost of what I thought was a crappy update. In addition to being confused that people actually subscribed to me of their own free will.

This bit was great, because it was so refreshing to hear the annoying child sidekick admit that he's a bit useless and should probably leave. Good ol'Reyn even tries to cheer him up, but no, he is well and truly useless, so back to Colony 9! Good riddance!

I mean, you'll make us proud, Juju.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
I think there may have been some creative liberties taken for some of loot, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Whoever did the localization for some of the (probably incredibly hard to translate) items, especially the item descriptions, is a goddamn genius.

Since you kind of brought up the shinies in the video and the fact that there are quest collect-a-thons, I think its safe to say that the game doesn't always give you visions of your characters saying "Oh hey, it's one of these things we need for a quest." It's nothing too serious to worry about, unless you are like me and pick up everything you see. You can run out of inventory space for things very, very quickly, and selling collectibles (that may or may not be marked with that "!") is generally a very bad idea. Someone made a "Items which are safe to sell" list somewhere in the Xenoblade thread in games, but from a brief glance, there are a decent amount of spoilery things in it, so you have been warned if you are going to use it.

This LP made me start a brand new file in this game again, and I'm only barely caught up with the LP itself. I'm doing one major thing different, though.

Lethemonster posted:

Why don’t you play this on Dolphin?

Although gorgeous in HD, dophin is a beast and my laptop would start crying if I tried to play and record on it. The wii version is what 99% of people will be playing, so that’s what you get. It’s still gorgeous and great fun.

My wii gave up the ghost finally and the disc drive can't read anything anymore, so I decided to go and start what will now probably be my 3rd full run of this game in Dolphin. I've got a pretty decent computer, I think, and I already have the emulator programmed in that (now old and probably obsolete) Xenoblade custom build that fixed the sound issues, while loading some of the HD Texture Pack that a lot of people put a lot of time into. You don't really need it to make the game look stunning, just running it in dolphin with the internal settings not locked to hardware limitations on the wii takes what isn't already beautiful one step further, but I literally have no idea how this build is working, because it shouldn't work at all. I think I conjured some sort of magic to get it working whenever I set this up first time around, but I'm not one to complain, because its running, and running smoothly with very few problems. (One of which is the internal temperature of my computer, and how burning hot it can get, running Dolphin and Xenoblade)

You're doing an amazing job, Lethe. Keep making awesome videos. And now that you have Dunban, you don't need Reyn to be a complete tank: equip his aggressive arts. Dunban's AI is good enough to catch aggro and divert it to let you make it Reyn Time, all the time. :black101:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Faust IX posted:

You're doing an amazing job, Lethe. Keep making awesome videos. And now that you have Dunban, you don't need Reyn to be a complete tank: equip his aggressive arts. Dunban's AI is good enough to catch aggro and divert it to let you make it Reyn Time, all the time. :black101:

Don't have enough of everyone's arts gained, or ideal kit to do this at the moment. For a normal game its fine but I'm trying to keep this smoother than last time. And editing out deaths is surprisingly tedious and awkward because I always forget where I am and what's going on in avisynth.

Blind Sally posted:

This bit was great, because it was so refreshing to hear the annoying child sidekick admit that he's a bit useless and should probably leave. Good ol'Reyn even tries to cheer him up, but no, he is well and truly useless, so back to Colony 9! Good riddance!

Yeeeaaahhhh I'm not in the biggest hurry to get back to colony 6 and help Juju organise the entire rebuilding effort.

vaguely posted:

I have to admit I was a little upset no one seemed to notice because I spent a stupid amount of time on. Strangely compelling to make.

But then I admired the irony of nobody noticing it.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Nobody commented on it because of the vicious disappointment that is a lack of dancing Snoop.

I didn't want to be cliche.

Chaltab posted:

You really should try to get your hands on a Wii! It's one of those games where a Let's Play is in and of itself interesting without the banter of a Pokecapn LP or the absurd stream of consciousness of Pork Lift, but it's also just masterfully crafted on a game level.

Well uhh... that's one hell of a recommendation for a thread. Maybe not this thread, but I'll take what I can get?

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Mighty Dicktron posted:

We have not yet met the nopon who is worthy of Maximum Blingee.

We will.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I think you're still missing the cutscene that plays after Metal Face runs off, but then again I may also be crazy (and I didn't watch past the first minute of 2-7 yet)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 16, 2013

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lethemonster posted:

How many people watching this haven't played the game before? It seems most people have, so just curious if we do have any first time viewers.

I started replaying it since you posted this! I had to scrap my last save file, cause I upgraded from Wii to WiiU. I've made it further than you are (both currently and in my previous play), though haven't beaten it. I probably will this time around!

Also I'm curious that 3-party after battle banter you can get with various members. I usually get Sharla-Shulk-Dunban and Sharla-Reyn-Shulk, but I can't remember what other party combos get it.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 16, 2013

ThCawdor
Apr 23, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

How many people watching this haven't played the game before?

I was following the previous thread, but I've never played the game myself (and I'm excited to find out what happens next, considering the previous playthrough ended around here!)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Played the game right up to wgere you are now.

Though i never got skimpy armor for anyone. Hell reyns midriff was covered since the end of colony 6.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

I think you're still missing the cutscene that plays after Metal Face runs off, but then again I may also be crazy (and I didn't watch past the first minute of 2-7 yet)

Here's the thing, I remember there being more to that cutscene as well - but it's not in my recording at all. I think my wii might have just gone 'eh bored now' when switching from one cutscene to another. Either that or we are both imagining the weirdest things. :iiam:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I love the idea of using a rifle to heal people. It's wonderfully silly.

TenaCrane
Sep 14, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I've always liked the giant bridges leading to Makna forest. Xenoblade rewards exploration so well that I couldn't wait to jump off of them and wander around.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

TenaCrane posted:

I've always liked the giant bridges leading to Makna forest. Xenoblade rewards exploration so well that I couldn't wait to jump off of them and wander around.

Yeah, I spent an almost shameful amount of time exploring the forest before finally heading to the village.

Orrfieldmedic
Oct 15, 2012
I bought this game because of this LP. I haven’t been playing it much lately, so I should probably fix that.

Lethemonster posted:

C-Euro posted:

Here's the thing, I remember there being more to that cutscene as well - but it's not in my recording at all. I think my wii might have just gone 'eh bored now' when switching from one cutscene to another. Either that or we are both imagining the weirdest things. :iiam:

Is the part you remember Shulk talking about his latest vision, Dickson telling them the location in the vision is Prison Island, and then how to get there among other information? Because I’m pretty sure that’s what was supposed to happen after Metal Face runs off.

If not, then I guess three people are imagining things.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The forest, and especially the marsh, are my very favorite areas in the game. I spent a stupid amount of time wandering around the marshes, constantly changing the time back to night because it was just so pretty! Then I got to the forest, and hey, it's pretty too! There's a giant waterfall and rainbows and- :swoon:

I... didn't get back to the main plot for a very, very long time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This is a great update, but I'm looking forward to the next one even more. :allears:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Renoistic posted:

I love the idea of using a rifle to heal people. It's wonderfully silly.
Not just a rifle, but a rifle loaded with an explosive healing round that you airburst over the patient. I like to imagine that the Homs militia use ether shells for everything. "We need to vaccinate everyone in the colony? Right, begin bombardment with inoculation shells!"

Hospital dramas in Xenoblade must be extremely entertaining.

That said, I did like Sharla's reaction to Reyn's question. "Yes Reyn, I'm going to heal her by putting an ether shell between her eyes, you thicko."

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, this is my first time, not because I don't have a Wii, but because I'm not normally a big fan of JRPGs. This one is beautifully crafted though, and since I already plan to get a Wii the next time I have enough cashmoneys (mainly for WiiFit, it must be said), I'm putting this on my list of games to get for it. Also, while I haven't gotten fully up to date with watching the vids yet (two behind), I will say that I absolutely loved where you talked about the strange condition that is Cockneyism. It is indeed a very hard thing to give up when you get it (apples and pears)

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Just a side note, but Melia, the magical girl from this most recent update, was voiced by Jenna Coleman, who you may already know as the current companion on Dr. Who, Clara Oswin.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Chaltab posted:

Just a side note, but Melia, the magical girl from this most recent update, was voiced by Jenna Coleman, who you may already know as the current companion on Dr. Who, Clara Oswin.

Stop stealing what little interesting things to say that I have :argh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, that giant Mechon in that first cutscene- was that someone inside it? Is that the terrible secret of space Mechonis, that they're actually people?

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
I find it pretty cool that up to now, there has been a gradual "evolution" of Mechon, based on the materials that they're made of, and replacing outdated, weaker components. The faceless drones are, as a few of the characters have said, almost complete scrap metal considering how easy they are to take down. Their strength is through having a hell of a lot of them fighting at once, to compensate for that weak armor they have.

Then comes the Faced Mechon, Xord, who is made of Bronze, significantly harder to break compared to the drones, but still possible to do so (I suppose that bath in the ether river didn't really help him out much, though).

Then after he's gone, we get an unfinished fight with Metal Face, who seems to be made of Steel, accompanied by a couple of not-Xord Mechon. At least this time, Shulk could cut through a very, very small layer of that armor, but it shows that he isn't as invincible as he was back at Colony 9.

So if there are better Faces being made from the flaws of the previous ones, that Silver Mechon that was being built is going to be an interesting enemy. :ohdear:

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, that giant Mechon in that first cutscene- was that someone inside it? Is that the terrible secret of space Mechonis, that they're actually people?

Yeah, to me it looked like there was someone inside being welded in. Considering the cutscene mention soul transfer I'm thinking the Mechon are pretty much Homs that can transfer their minds into giant robot bodies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Whuttup me bropons?

I remember my first time going through Satorl marsh. I'd gotten used to the game's night/day cycle already, but seeing the transition for day to night in Satorl for the first time, music and all was nothing short of magical. That was the moment where I said to myself "I don't care what else I have to put off to see it done, I am finishing this game." And I did. It's rare that I find a large-scale game like this these days that I more or less play front to back in a reasonable amount of time.

Blind Sally posted:

It did not surprise me to learn that Juju was an expy of Dan from Xenogears. I enjoyed mercillously punching Dan's face in during the Aveh battle tournament. Never regretted a second of it.

I just wished Otharon would stick around though. He was cool. I wound up rebuilding Colony 6 just out of guilt because I was tired of it looking like a shithole every time I went back to it for something.

Also DICKSON! :haw:

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
After re-watching the latest update, I think a nature show update featuring our favorite critters might be a funny bonus vid. How's your Sir David Attenborough impression, Lethe?

"Emerging from the treeline, we see an adult Plasma Deinos. These magnificent creatures carry themselves with a quiet dignity as they stalk about the jungle. Let us take a closer look at these wondrous giants."
*zoom in on dinosaur*
"Durrrrrrr :downs:"

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that this game seems to have made a habit of letting you see landmarks way off in the distance and then go there. It really does something to instill a sense of scale.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just reached the Xord fight in the Ether Mine. I had been getting a bit worried that I might have been slightly over-levelled, as I was level 26. No, no I am not overlevelled.

I was controlling Reyn before the fight (and you don't get a chance to switch party members before the boss battle), and that didn't go so well. Without Shulk's AI using Enchant in a timely fashion, it was troublesome, and once Sharla went down, Shulk eventually went down, and that was about it.

I reloaded, switched to Shulk, sat through the cutscene again (I know you don't have to, but I'd rather reload and see the cutscenes than die and then just walk back in like nothing happened.) I died even faster this time. So okay, I guess I should do some more quests.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the idea of Sharla literally shooting people to cure them. They are perfectly health, minus the bleeding holes in them.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LordAba posted:

I like the idea of Sharla literally shooting people to cure them. They are perfectly health, minus the bleeding holes in them.

No its like Star Wars, the ether cauterizes the wound.

I think I'm going to arrange a trip to my parent's house and nab the Wii from my brother so I can finish this game up. I think I was like right at the end too before getting the boot.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

And we are back.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The section where you suddenly switch to solo Shulk was a real surprise the first time, and pretty interesting. It's the first time you ever have a solo character running around in a dangerous area. The short sections of solo Shulk and Fiora in Colony 9 don't count. This made the Baby Telethia battle even more memorable. On a side note, I love it when the boss fight music starts in a cutscene, it really gets me pumped up for the fight.

I love that they bothered to record lines referring to Alvis just for this one fight. It's that kind of attention to detail that's great.

The scene where Melia woke up gave me the strong impression that she was Shulk's new love interest. Fiora is not forgotten of course, and never will be, but acceptance has set in.

Once I was told how to use her, Melia became my favorite or second-favorite character to play as.

That thing Lethemonster described about ending up in a loop of decreasing tension because you can't hit Telethia to build your Monado gauge happened to me on one fight leading to a defeat, and I found it hilarious.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 18, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Yeah basically with Melia, first you pop, then the party don't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Yeah basically with Melia, first you pop, then the party don't stop.

First you pop, and then you frantically run away as you aggro all the poo poo happening.

• Locked thread