Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Shyfted One posted:

Not big on romance novels. Well, maybe I am, I never read one.

The Hunger Games would be nice to help breakup all the non-fiction I tend to read.

Wish I didn't miss the Philip K Dick sale. I hope they go on sale again at some point.

Is it pretty simple to add .mobi files to the Kindle? I have some on my computer that I'd like to add once I get it.

Very easy, yes. My favorite trick is to email the mobi files to my kindle and download them over WiFi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You guys should really look into Calibre. It does it all and makes it perfectly organized.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So, an informal poll:

You guys who convert PDFs, do you do it because PDFs are unreadable on your device or you just prefer to have the flexibility of text size change, etc.?

I just ask because on my Paperwhite I literally prefer reading PDFs to actual e-book formatted books. Obviously this is personal preference, and I have encountered several books with extra small text that ARE actually a pain in the rear end to read, but that's by far the exception to the rule I've noticed. It's almost hard for me to fathom that someone would prefer the e-book format over PDF with most stuff, but again that's just personal preference. And I totally understand that some readers don't have the resolution to do PDFs well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Amazon also has a program (Send To Kindle I think it's called) that makes it really easy to send files to Kindles without bothering with USB transfer.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I just ask because on my Paperwhite I literally prefer reading PDFs to actual e-book formatted books.

If you had a choice between a perfectly formatted ebook and a PDF, you'd choose the PDF? Or you just prefer to leave PDFs as is?

Srice posted:

Amazon also has a program (Send To Kindle I think it's called) that makes it really easy to send files to Kindles without bothering with USB transfer.

It's basically the same as sending an email to your kindle, just makes it easier by being able to right click it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sperg Victorious posted:

If you had a choice between a perfectly formatted ebook and a PDF, you'd choose the PDF? Or you just prefer to leave PDFs as is?

No lie, I would probably prefer the PDF. I'm a sucker for consistent formatting, and I've just yet to read an eBook that doesn't mess up technical graphics by splitting them across pages or something.

edit: Oh wait I should have prefaced this by saying I'm talking about technical books. For regular novels and things I am perfectly fine with mobi. If it's just text or text and the occasional illustration then that's fine.

Sorry I didn't mention that. It probably changes the discussion completely.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Sorry I didn't mention that. It probably changes the discussion completely.

I went from thinking "WTF, is this guy insane?" to "Yeah, I feel the same way" - so yup, changes the discussion! :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess I'm just surprised that people get non-technical books in PDF form to begin with. I'm not even sure where to do that. But admittedly I haven't really looked around. I'm tied to Amazon like nobody's business.

Plus my local library lends epubs which I can convert readily :)

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I guess I'm just surprised that people get non-technical books in PDF form to begin with. I'm not even sure where to do that. But admittedly I haven't really looked around. I'm tied to Amazon like nobody's business.

Plus my local library lends epubs which I can convert readily :)

How does library lending work if you're also converting it? Wouldn't you just then have that book forever?

I don't see how DRM actually works at all on these things if there even is any.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 15, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pretty much. I guess you're on the honour system to delete the book. I'm more of a technical book reader anyway so my main sources are Safari and Apress

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The problem is probably more that publishers don't care enough to set up their epub formatting to correctly handle technical stuff.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I guess I'm just surprised that people get non-technical books in PDF form to begin with.

:filez:

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
So there's pretty much nothing stopping people from buying an ebook and then sending the .mobi to everyone they know?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Martytoof posted:

So, an informal poll:

You guys who convert PDFs, do you do it because PDFs are unreadable on your device or you just prefer to have the flexibility of text size change, etc.?

I just ask because on my Paperwhite I literally prefer reading PDFs to actual e-book formatted books. Obviously this is personal preference, and I have encountered several books with extra small text that ARE actually a pain in the rear end to read, but that's by far the exception to the rule I've noticed. It's almost hard for me to fathom that someone would prefer the e-book format over PDF with most stuff, but again that's just personal preference. And I totally understand that some readers don't have the resolution to do PDFs well.

Here is a comparison of a PDF on a touch and an actual book on the same topic

Compare the text size:

With a text size that is half the size of a printed book, the pdf is literally unreadable.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Shyfted One posted:

So there's pretty much nothing stopping people from buying an ebook and then sending the .mobi to everyone they know?

You'd have to break the DRM. Calibre can't even import a DRM book unless you have extra tools.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dokmo posted:

Compare the text size:

With a text size that is half the size of a printed book, the pdf is literally unreadable.

Which reader is that, out of curiosity.

That doesn't look too dissimilar from some PDFs I'm reading right now, but I might have a different interpretation of unreadable. I'm the guy who ran his 15" monitor at 1600x1200 back in the day :q:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

withak posted:

The problem is probably more that publishers don't care enough to set up their epub formatting to correctly handle technical stuff.

I think the problem is that the current formatting for mobile books is very limited. Like a terrible subset of HTML or something. I keep hoping that the next big thing in eBooks won't be the hardware, but it'll be something like a next gen formatting engine. eBooks are fine for novels and things right now, but for anything that isn't pages and pages of straight text it's basically shoehorning things into a limited formatting engine.

see, for example: House of Leaves

Good luck getting that effect on a reader.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 15, 2013

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Martytoof posted:

Which reader is that, out of curiosity.

That doesn't look too dissimilar from some PDFs I'm reading right now, but I might have a different interpretation of unreadable. I'm the guy who ran his 15" monitor at 1600x1200 back in the day :q:

Kindle touch. You might be right about the text size being readable to some people, my eyes are old. The ability to get rid of the pdf margins automatically would make these documents much easier to read.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

dokmo posted:

Kindle touch. You might be right about the text size being readable to some people, my eyes are old. The ability to get rid of the pdf margins automatically would make these documents much easier to read.

(I think) this is what I use to crop out extra whitespace from PDFs:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/

It superimposes all the pages together so you can be sure you won't crop out anything important across the whole set.

I say I think because I actually reinstalled my Mac since I got my Paperwhite and somehow managed to forget this tool.

edit: Also, which contrast setting do you use on your KT? I have all my PDFs set to max contrast and that helps a LOT. I wish they'd let you set the default contrast for PDFs because I'd set it to max every single time.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 15, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think House of Leaves is a special case for page layout.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

withak posted:

I think House of Leaves is a special case for page layout.

I often pondered how this would look like on an eReader. I dread those thoughts.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

dokmo posted:

Compare the text size:

It's not literally unreadable, it's just really awkward and depends on your eyes and the environment you're in. Looking at the text, are you on the default contrast for that pdf? It's usually worth bumping it up a notch or straight to full when the text is small, what you lose in definition you gain in readability. I'm assuming it's better on a backlit reader like a Paperwhite too, I have a Keyboard and it can be pretty awkward sometimes.

Also worth mentioning Briss for anyone unfamiliar with it - it basically lets you crop PDF pages to eliminate bad scanning borders and cut down the whitespace, so you can maximise your screen usage. It's not as visually appealing to have text right up to the edges, but the screens ain't that big compared to a typical book page, so do what you can! Briss used to choke on large files, but I guess it's had an update since I last used it, so maybe that doesn't happen anymore

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

dokmo posted:

Compare the text size:

Tilt the screen sideways. That was the only way I could read pdfs back when I had a small reader. Only downside is you normally have to turn the page three times before you get through a single page.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I often pondered how this would look like on an eReader. I dread those thoughts.

I bet if you read it, you end up reading more pages than there are in the book get it, 'cause the house is bigger inside than it is outside.

So what extra tools would one need in order to bring something with DRM into calibre? Say, something that would typically require Adobe Digital Editions?

Somewhat related:

I emailed a book publisher and was like "Hey, can I get a cheap copy of the ebook? I just bought the physical copy" and they were all "Noooope, sorry, we have nothing to do with it, the sellers of ebooks are totally independent from us". So then I talked to Indigo, asking the same question, and they were like "Nooooope, that's totally up to the publishers and authors, they're the ones that have to make it available in this manner." So one guy says it's up to the other guy, and vice versa. In other words, no one knows what the gently caress. I guess this a problem that won't be solved any time soon!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Google "caliber drm plugins"

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Martytoof posted:

Good luck getting that effect on a reader.

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_positioning.asp

and

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_transform.asp :colbert:

But only positioning is supported by most readers, in ePUB, maybe, maybe KF8 might but that's just speculation on my part

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Guitarchitect posted:

I emailed a book publisher and was like "Hey, can I get a cheap copy of the ebook? I just bought the physical copy" and they were all "Noooope, sorry, we have nothing to do with it, the sellers of ebooks are totally independent from us". So then I talked to Indigo, asking the same question, and they were like "Nooooope, that's totally up to the publishers and authors, they're the ones that have to make it available in this manner." So one guy says it's up to the other guy, and vice versa. In other words, no one knows what the gently caress. I guess this a problem that won't be solved any time soon!

You mean something like Kindle Matchbook will presumably be? http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001373341

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dice Dice Baby posted:

http://www.w3schools.com/css/css_positioning.asp

and

http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_transform.asp :colbert:

But only positioning is supported by most readers, in ePUB, maybe, maybe KF8 might but that's just speculation on my part

Yeah, true. Though it feels like we're stuck in HTML 1.0 :q:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
KF8 is essentially EPUB in a Palm Document-esque wrapper (as Mobipocket is to plain HTML with limited CSS).

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Edit: misunderstood, the new paperwhite isn't out yet

Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 17, 2013

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, true. Though it feels like we're stuck in HTML 1.0 :q:

It's possible on the Kindle, but only KF8 :science:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212300

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

fordan posted:

You mean something like Kindle Matchbook will presumably be? http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1001373341

Yup. I guess this'll be close to the end of shopping at independent stores, for me... or I'll just rely on :filez: / the library for digital copies of books that I buy.

There's a canadian service called BitLit that is trying to set up a system for ebooks but the publisher list is pretty short right now...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SB35 posted:

Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight has dropped to $99

This is a good price if any of you were on the fence about an eReader with built-in light. I'm tempted just to pick a couple up as a gift.

For UK goons, this deal has arrived, too, with the Simple Touch Glowlight going for £50.

Meanwhile, Kobo has done something similar with the Kobo Mini, with both Argos and WH Smith selling them for £30.

I'm just in the country now, and very sad that I missed when the Nook Simple Touch without glowlight was going for £30 as well, since it seems to be slightly nicer than the Kobo. But for that price, I got the Kobo.

So far I've been fairly happy with it. It does need a cover (but those are about $15 on eBay), and I had to hack the sqlite database to get it to turn on without requiring me to set up a Kobo account (but this is actually remarkably straightforward, and there are guides to it all over the web).

Now I just need to figure out the nuances of DRM schema (like am I going to have to break the DRM on legit ebooks I purchase just to have them work on the device).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Also the Nook Touch (and tablets) are $20 off until the 28th, making the Simple Touch $59 and the Glowlight $79 currently.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-barnes-noble/1102344735
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-barnes-noble/1108046469

I think that's US only though, as far as I know.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Seems you guys have touched on this on this page, but I'd just like to be entirely clear: It's possible to get mobi files from other sources onto a Kindle with no hassle? Trying to decide what to purchase.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

BKPR posted:

Seems you guys have touched on this on this page, but I'd just like to be entirely clear: It's possible to get mobi files from other sources onto a Kindle with no hassle? Trying to decide what to purchase.

Yes, and you can even email them to Amazon to have them sent directly to your device without needing to plug the USB into your computer.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
Though I prefer the Send To Kindle desktop app.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Anyone know if there's a definite release date for Amazon's bookmatch service?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Is there anything similar to Send to Kindle for android phones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

teraflame posted:

Is there anything similar to Send to Kindle for android phones?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fivefilters.kindleit&feature=search_result

Unless you mean the receiving end, in which case just use the Kindle app.