Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

codeorange posted:

I don't know if the vulcan would be good for the brawler, unless you're good at sticking close to opponents. It seems to move far too slow to get every shot in.

Sadly, looks like you are right, I did not know it had such a spread. It works great on cracking down C-classes and bulldogging but heat and maneuverability are a definite factor. Looks like I am going to have to consider something else for open spaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

Could I get added to the goon list in the OP? I'm level 7 already and want to start playing with some goons. I'm in as Aledazzo

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Been playing for 3 days now and I love the Berserker. So far I've been putting all my tuning points into weapon loaders for maximum damage during the boost so I can zoom in, BRAAAAAP on some poor sod, and boost out if his friends notice. Seems to work pretty good so far, especially with armor fusor, power surger and deflectors to get out.

Since I'm going to unlock the Infiltrator at some point, how do they play? Can I keep doing what I do now with the berserker, only with more explosives? And how long does the cloak last?

Oh and I'm Zernach ingame too.

Edit: Forgot to say I'm EU.

Zernach fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 16, 2013

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

quote:

Goon list requests

Done and done.

Zernach posted:

Since I'm going to unlock the Infiltrator at some point, how do they play? Can I keep doing what I do now with the berserker, only with more explosives? And how long does the cloak last?

They work somewhat like Berserkers, though a bit faster and less flying around in the air. Switching from the TOW on Berserker to the Grenade Launcher on the Infil may throw you off a bit, but it can definitely be worth it. Using the Assault Rifle will help you get used to the class as a whole, since it'll be the least different from Berserker, though you may find you like the Heat Cannon or EOC more after some practice. The cloak lasts... somewhere around 7 seconds, and you also get a speed boost while using it. You can upgrade it as you upgrade your mech to make the invisibility last longer (about 10 seconds) and make the speed increase better as well.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Add me to the list Stanley_Pain

Just hit lvl 16. Lots of poopsocking done over the last 2 days.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Im only lvl 3 but you should add me to the list anyway, in as Dreadwroth.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Holy poo poo the Raider.... :staredog:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

I've added every goon on the list thus far, could I request that I also be added to the list on the OP? I am level 12 if that matters.

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post

keyframe posted:

Holy poo poo the Raider.... :staredog:

One hit from that secondary that they have takes half of my HP when I am in my Scout.

Also, add Zorato to the list too. I'm level 19.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
For those using the Raider, how have you tuned it? I've personally just gone all out on the weapons and then dumped all of my remaining points into heat generation. Wondering how successful others have been if they've tried other options. Also, has anyone used the EOC Repeater with the Raider? Was considering buying that, for now I'm sticking with the Reflak.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Goon List request; Hawken name is Feindfeuer, pilot level 18 [EU]

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Can I please be added to the list too. Hawken name is Keyframe.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

quote:

list requests

Updated!

Rayjenkins posted:

For those using the Raider, how have you tuned it? I've personally just gone all out on the weapons and then dumped all of my remaining points into heat generation. Wondering how successful others have been if they've tried other options. Also, has anyone used the EOC Repeater with the Raider? Was considering buying that, for now I'm sticking with the Reflak.

Putting points into the weapon cooldown is a good idea, considering how slow the firing cooldown is on Raider, particularly for the secondary weapon. Boost Thrusters and Hydraulics are great to complement the already extremely high speed of the raider, particularly under the influence of it's ability. Some people find the speed a bit much sometimes, so season to taste. On top of that, put a few points into Fuel Generator and and Fuel Tanks, which'll let you dodge and boost around more often, though maxing them out is probably unnecessary. Remaining points should be put into Armor and heatsinks - put them in armor and heatsinks depending on whether you find yourself dying more often vs having trouble killing people before overheating. Personally, I would focus a but more on armor over heatsinks.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
Played for the first time today, and had an absolute blast. Giant TVs and bulldozer things shooting at each other... What could be better? Got up to level 3 in my 6 matches, and I have no idea what I'm doing, but my team won 5 of them and I led in assists in every game. Very impressed with this so far, and I can see myself sinking a heap of time into this game. In-game I am veddermatic so if I could get on the goon list, I would appreciate it.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Lumpy posted:

and I led in assists in every game

:hfive: Seriously, assists were my main source of income up until the patch, and now I've magically started getting nothing but kills instead. Maybe I'm assisting too hard.

So, I hereby willingly step down from the assists throne and beseech you to carry on in my place.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Man can't believe how much this game have improved since the last patch. Really having a blast with it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I don't know what changed since I last tried Hawken about a year ago, but I'm really enjoying it now, aside from the fact that it seems like every match is at least a little one-sided.

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

I combined my love of numbers, fat mechs, and the Vulcan tonight into a beast Grenadier.

Turns out you can get the overheat recovery time down to 2.75 seconds.

It's almost as fast as the Vanguard, and you can swap to HEAT/Rev-GL as needed.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I logged in today to find I had unlocked the fatassed Rocketeer, pretty cool. I don't really mind how slow it is, the turret mode makes this an ok tradeoff along with all the sweet explosions you cause. The new tutorial is pretty nice too, especially if you are as rusty as me.
Still haven't quite found the tuning window yet, but that's ok I guess I'll look when I get off work.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Still haven't won a single round since the patch came out. My initial launch always seems to find me a game where my team is down by 10 points and I'm filling in for someone who rage quit, and I just don't want to deal with the bullshit to get tuning points and unlocks so I can be on equal ground with the guys I'm facing. I can get plenty of kills and assists, lead my team, and generally do above-average (though not amazing). But I can't carry entire teams of retards, and facing down guys with better poo poo and more options is pretty pointless.

Kracken
Sep 25, 2006

Let no joyful voice be heard! Let no man look up at the sky with hope! And let this day be cursed by we who ready to wake ...
The level design doesn't really make sense to me, but I'm having a blast with the game. It's a uniquely satisfying thing to land a direct hit with a TOW rocket on some stooge who's jump jetting away from the fight.

Can I get on the goon list too? Name's dong_cheadle in game.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Pseudophile posted:

Except that doesn't work, tapping LMB resets your spoolup time.

The Vulcan takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it, but it's a lot of fun. The other automatics have benefits over it, but they're not as much fun.

Plus, it sounds like God is ripping a gigantic fart.

I haven't been able to play since the test weekend, so they must have changed it...

Oculus Rift status;

They hosed it, they had it almost perfect in the test weekend, but then hosed it. Basically no matter what you do, disabling 2d hud, and enabling 3d hud, you still get a double on the screen, except with 3d hud, if you move your head left, the hud goes right. So you have to guess where the centre of your mech is, OR disable the hud totally and enable the red dot laser crosshair, which OWNS BONES, but since there's no other hud elements, you will never know your health/fuel, or your enemy's health... which majorly SUCKS. (also no radar, and no location of your teammates). The game then becomes a kind of one man show, shooting dudes till they die, never knowing your health.. It's like Rambo, but with mechs...

I will be deleting my install of Hawken and re-installing it to flush out my Oculus rift settings so I can play it again.

Really wish this support would get prioritised, well it works, but what meteor has said over a couple posts is basically, the support that's in there now, is for the prototype 1080p rift, NOT the 800p Dev Kit. Really not happy with this, it's not that hard to setup a nice conditional variable like IF (devkit) do this; ELSE (proto) do that;

Going back to 2d Hawken is like loving a really hot chick thats a total freak in the sack, to like... having sex with a normal girl who has hangups about her body.

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 16, 2013

codeorange
Jul 11, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Still haven't won a single round since the patch came out. My initial launch always seems to find me a game where my team is down by 10 points and I'm filling in for someone who rage quit, and I just don't want to deal with the bullshit to get tuning points and unlocks so I can be on equal ground with the guys I'm facing. I can get plenty of kills and assists, lead my team, and generally do above-average (though not amazing). But I can't carry entire teams of retards, and facing down guys with better poo poo and more options is pretty pointless.

That's a shame. I don't understand why people would ragequit before a game ends. Team Deathmatch has a time cap of 12 minutes which is incredibly short, and you'd be missing out on at least 1000 experience points and I think around 100-200 Hawken points just for being there. Personally I'd recommend playing with higher leveled opponents rather than letting matchmaking put you with players at your "level". It's a lot more fun playing against people who actually know what they're doing, and you can also learn from them as well. There isn't much of a power gap, seeing that you can still buy tier 2 items at level 10 or so, which some higher level players still use. I wouldn't worry about the tuning point bonuses either, since those are relatively minor and won't help a level 30 player if you manage to outplay or outnumber them.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Zaodai posted:

There's always Deathmatch! No teams, just mindless brutality!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sitchelin posted:

There's always Deathmatch! No teams, just mindless brutality!

I had actually forgotten this. Yeah, I'll give that a shot. That might be more my speed. Thanks.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

In as Sovietboat if anyone needs a big Rocketeer to murder the poo poo out of campers. Despite starting yesterday this game has totally sucked me in. It's just such a nice blend between the reasons I liked Blacklight and MWO without either of their harsher F2P restrictions.

Also anyone know of when the code redeem page is going to work again? I've got like 4 codes I'm just sitting on.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I'm kickin' off the rust and getting back in the mix with my Bruiser (now with elite skin :pcgaming:)

In as PlagueDoctor. Add me if you need someone to carry your butt.

E: level 30 and no one is doing MA. Of course. :eng99:

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 16, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Thinking about unlocking the Grenadeer early because it seems like the best mech to deal with those enemy team holing up around the corner with techs repairing them situations.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

keyframe posted:

Thinking about unlocking the Grenadeer early because it seems like the best mech to deal with those enemy team holing up around the corner with techs repairing them situations.

I want to get the Grenadier as well but I am worried about how fast the grenade moves and what the arc is on it. I am not afraid of a learning curve but I'd rather know I like it or want to like it before I buy it. Also, I have enough problems with Berzerkers jumping on top of my head. The team blob stand-offs though are incredibly difficult.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Infiltrator has all the advantages of TF2's Demoman with the added advantage of having a useful primary, total beast. If you squint enough the incredible speed you can get is almost like stickiejumping.

vvv me too :ssh:

Chard fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 16, 2013

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

Chard posted:

Infiltrator has all the advantages of TF2's Demoman with the added advantage of having a useful primary, total beast. If you squint enough the incredible speed you can get is almost like stickiejumping.

I LIKED the Demoman's primary weapon but it did take a long time to be comfortable with.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So is the constant crashing I'm getting just part of the new patch or do I need to look at something specific?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Trip report: Glad to see they FINALLY loving FIXED HELLFIRES. Not glad to see that you can counter them by jumping :suicide:

My first match was a TDM on last eco, starting at 0-5 with the enemies having the advantage. By the end I managed to get it to around 18-23, but we still lost. Close match though. The elite skins are hecka tight, and I like that the Bruisers ability has visual feedback now.

The tuning system is neat too. Having 880 health on a Medium is awesome :getin:

E: not happy to see that theres only like 5 matches I can join (I'm too good waaaaaah)

E2: saturnine friend me up if you want to duo drop sometime.

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 16, 2013

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
So far I've been loving it when the fight grinds to two blobs shooting at each other, thats when I can run around behind them and start killing them one by one as they retreat to repair. Origin is glorious for this, the fights seem to always happen on the top levels so you can use the mid level tunnels to get behind them.

I can't wait to get the Infiltrator with all those explosive goodies to get more alpha, the EOC + GL is 330 :getin:

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So I played in the beta and was kinda ehhhhh on it.

But tuning and having techs / some of the weapon balance smoothed out in the game really makes it more fun. FoxtrotAlphaGolf is my ingame name.

Also, doing something as simple as changing the weapon function from middle mouse to thumb button made playing the Bruiser actually fun. Middle mousing in the middle of combat was just awkward for me, so I never used hellfires at mid/close range... Now that I am using them the Bruiser is pretty amazing at pooping on people, the damage soaking ability really lets you lay into someone even if they aren't alone and come out on top.

Orv
May 4, 2011
:psyduck: The four matches I just played can only be described as babytown frolics. Everyone on both teams except me and a couple other guys per match just sat around in the open trading shots and never dodging. It was violence incarnate and it was stupid as hell.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Orv posted:

:psyduck: The four matches I just played can only be described as babytown frolics. Everyone on both teams except me and a couple other guys per match just sat around in the open trading shots and never dodging. It was violence incarnate and it was stupid as hell.

Yea sometimes I come across those pubbies who clearly skipped the boost dodge tutorial with my near max air boost Berserker and it is like kicking puppies.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Requesting OP addition: I'm stomping around as squareking, central US. L9 right now I think and I'm not too great!

Regarding recent changes: Overall, the new UI is welcome, especially in the main menu, but the new armor/fuel readout is so bland. I remember the mech gauge readout thing being one of the reasons why Hawken stood out to me. My immersion, etc.

Izam
Jun 6, 2005
Finally remembered to come post here. If I can get added to the list I'm Izam in game, rocking a Berzerker and a Brawler, mostly in MA and Siege (some TDM if nothing interesting is around.) If you need an assist just toss me an invite, good at making scrap piles and turning orange circles cyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Toss me on the list, I'm Prince of Wales in this.

• Locked thread