Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
None. HGAC Wing is coming out this month, HGAW Double X on October, HGUC Victory in November, HGUC F91 in December, and HGUC V2 in January. HGCC Turn A is also in the cards, but no set date yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TaurusOxford posted:

Well you're coming back to HG Gundam at a good time. Bandai is doing the "All Gundam Project", which involves doing HGs of all the lead Gundam suits, including Wing, Double X, Victory, F91, etc.

I mostly like UC Gundam honestly, although I might dabble in G Gundam and Wing occasionally. The vast majority of the kits I want are from the OYW and the Zeta\ZZ\Unicorn era, so many of those are likely going to be old and date back into the 90's.

Question - I don't very much painting and in fact, I almost feel like I'm limited by the seasons when it comes to modeling. (I've used mostly spray cans and testor's enamels in the past.) Where I live it's very humid, and trying to paint outside during the hot summer or winter is just a terrible idea. Also, when I said I really wanted to build a paint box in the basement, those who I live with immediately told me gently caress NO YOU'RE NOT. Am I screwed? Can I only paint my models at very specific times of the year?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gammatron 64 posted:

I mostly like UC Gundam honestly, although I might dabble in G Gundam and Wing occasionally. The vast majority of the kits I want are from the OYW and the Zeta\ZZ\Unicorn era, so many of those are likely going to be old and date back into the 90's.

Question - I don't very much painting and in fact, I almost feel like I'm limited by the seasons when it comes to modeling. (I've used mostly spray cans and testor's enamels in the past.) Where I live it's very humid, and trying to paint outside during the hot summer or winter is just a terrible idea. Also, when I said I really wanted to build a paint box in the basement, those who I live with immediately told me gently caress NO YOU'RE NOT. Am I screwed? Can I only paint my models at very specific times of the year?

Judging by the description of your weather, trying to do proper painting sounds almost out of the question for you. As for your preference in OYW/Z/ZZ/UC era kits, check out Dalong's review site. Click the HG link on top and you'll get detailed photo reviews of every HG kit released.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Can I only paint my models at very specific times of the year?

Pretty much. Good thing for you that HGs have advanced significantly while you're gone; there aren't as many missing colors as there used to be, so painting is no longer mandatory.

Also, have you considered Real Grades? They're the newest line, and are essentially MGs at a 1/144 scale. About half of the ones currently out are UC suits, they have ridiculous color separation so painting is mostly unneeded, and the prices (before shipping + markup) range from $20 to $30 so they seem like a perfect fit for your needs.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 12, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Pretty much. Good thing for you that HGs have advanced significantly while you're gone; there aren't as many missing colors as there used to be, so painting is no longer mandatory.

Also, have you considered Real Grades? They're the newest line, and are essentially MGs at a 1/144 scale. About half of the ones currently out are UC suits, so they seem like a perfect fit for your needs.

Yeah, a local store of mine has some, and I thought about picking up one but didn't have the money at the time. They had mostly Wing MGs, but they also had an MG Quebeley MKII and Gelgoog that I found interesting, although I'm not sure if the Gelgoog was 2.0 and I'd rather have Haman Karn's Quebely than Ple's.

I might pick up some of those RGs but I already have a bunch of RX-78s and green Zaku IIs in various scales and sort of want to branch out beyond those. Although my old HG RX-78 and Zaku II from high school aren't in good enough shape to display so I might do it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
MG 2.0 kits are easily identified by the "2.0" under the MG emblem on the boxart. Also, since you said you might dabble in Wing MG kits eventually, I can't recommend Heavyarms EW enough times. It's easily the best kit of the 5 Wing EW suits.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, a local store of mine has some, and I thought about picking up one but didn't have the money at the time. They had mostly Wing MGs, but they also had an MG Quebeley MKII and Gelgoog that I found interesting, although I'm not sure if the Gelgoog was 2.0 and I'd rather have Haman Karn's Quebely than Ple's.

I might pick up some of those RGs but I already have a bunch of RX-78s and green Zaku IIs in various scales and sort of want to branch out beyond those. Although my old HG RX-78 and Zaku II from high school aren't in good enough shape to display so I might do it.

RG has a number of SEED kits as well as the GP01 and GP01Fb from 0083, so there is something to satisfy your UC lust that you haven't already built.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

MG 2.0 kits are easily identified by the "2.0" under the MG emblem on the boxart. Also, since you said you might dabble in Wing MG kits eventually, I can't recommend Heavyarms EW enough times. It's easily the best kit of the 5 Wing EW suits.

I don't really like Wing as a series, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think the Heavyarms and Deathscythe Hell were awesome looking as gently caress. I couldn't give two shits about the Wing\Wing Zero\Sandrock but gatling guns and grim reapers are fuckin' rad.

Midjack posted:

RG has a number of SEED kits as well as the GP01 and GP01Fb from 0083, so there is something to satisfy your UC lust that you haven't already built.

Hopefully they come out with the GP02 because that Gundam is fuckin' BOSS and I hear the MG of it sucks unfortunately. :(

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Gammatron 64 posted:

I don't really like Wing as a series, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think the Heavyarms and Deathscythe Hell were awesome looking as gently caress. I couldn't give two shits about the Wing\Wing Zero\Sandrock but gatling guns and grim reapers are fuckin' rad.

Here's some poison for your wallet then:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hopefully they come out with the GP02 because that Gundam is fuckin' BOSS and I hear the MG of it sucks unfortunately. :(

MG GP02 has significant design flaws, the biggest one being that its incapable of actually holding its own shield unless you superglue its hand around the handle. Even then, you can't pose with it cause it's so heavy that the arm has no chance of ever keeping it held up.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

I might pick up some of those RGs but I already have a bunch of RX-78s and green Zaku IIs in various scales and sort of want to branch out beyond those.

The mkII (both colors), Zeta, GP01, and GP01 FB are also available! The mkII in particular is the best the line has to offer at this point.

quote:

I don't really like Wing as a series, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't think the Heavyarms and Deathscythe Hell were awesome looking as gently caress.

Heavyarms is indeed super rad, but Deathscythe Hell has some issues with its scythe and its cape IIRC.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

The mkII (both colors), Zeta, GP01, and GP01 FB are also available! The mkII in particular is the best the line has to offer at this point.

I may have the grab the MK II if I see it, because the MK. II, the Armored Alex and the RX-79[G] Ground type are probably my favorite Gundams, even though I generally prefer Zeon suits. They're to the point and not covered in funnels and wings and poo poo like pretty much everything from SEED, but they have more flavor over the RX-78. I also really like the look of the regular AGE-1 as an update to the RX-78, although I've never seen Gundam AGE and don't ever plan to.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Gammatron 64 posted:

Can I only paint my models at very specific times of the year?

Welcome to the club, it's rained nonstop the last two days so I haven't been able to do any spraying with cans. I'm definitely going to set up a big rear end cardboard box paint zone and see how that goes. At least with an airbrush I'm not guaranteed to die if I use it anywhere other than outside.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
You can't even build a box with a fan that fumes out the window? There's really cheap ways I've seen people do it with a tub and a bathroom ceiling fan.

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!
Well, if you have an airbrush, acrylics are basically fume-free and really easy to clean up, but the finish isn't all that durable, so you have to be extra wary of scratching the paint. That said, if you're patient and careful with them, they can still give great results. Although that's really just my opinion, considering I've only used acrylics thus far for mostly the same reasons. I have a couple jars of Testor's enamel that I use for detail painting so I can use fewer coats, and even those little jars make me light-headed inside unless I have the doors open and a fan running. My 'studio' is in the basement, so airbrushing enamels is kind of out of the question, sadly. I like acrylics though, they've never done me wrong. The Force Impulse I posted a couple pages back is all acrylic, as is the kit I just finished:

Good old Destiny. The show was rear end, but some of the mechs were pretty neat, if overdesigned.

Something I always disliked about the Destiny was how the color scheme basically just made it Perfect Strike v2, so I decided to change it up a bit. I really like what the Real Grade line has been doing with multiple colors on the outer armor, so I think I'll try doing that on all my future projects. Having more than just one shade of white/gray on the armor adds a lot to the model, I think. Sprucing up the weapons also makes it a bit more unique.

Also, before I knew Destiny's sword was called Alondite, the only place I'd heard that name was the Black Knight's sword in Fire Emblem 9, making that particular color scheme obvious:

:v:

More here.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Looks like a Zeong scheme :stare:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Faltion posted:

You can't even build a box with a fan that fumes out the window? There's really cheap ways I've seen people do it with a tub and a bathroom ceiling fan.

I plan on explaining that acrylics don't create fumes when my roommate is in a better mood. If that doesn't succeed, I might start begging. If that doesn't succeed, I will probably say screw you and do it anyway.

I really like my Gundam kits to have a matte finish. Even if I don't go ahead and paint the whole thing, if they're not panel lined and have matte clear coat they will look cheap and bad to me. A lot of people will just put them together, apply decals and leave them like that, but I'm not like that and it'll bother me. I'm not going to tell people what to do with their kits, but these are mine and I want them to look nice.

My painting experience is totally limited to testors enamel spray cans, handpainting small details and drybrushing, though. Enamel paints are fuckin' stinky.

That said, this weekend the forecast says it'll be around 72F with 50% humidity so I should be able to paint some. Maybe I'll finally get around to weathering and spraying some clear coat on my MG Zeta, MKII and Guncannon that I built 1-2 years ago.

Oblique Angle posted:

Well, if you have an airbrush, acrylics are basically fume-free and really easy to clean up, but the finish isn't all that durable, so you have to be extra wary of scratching the paint. That said, if you're patient and careful with them, they can still give great results. Although that's really just my opinion, considering I've only used acrylics thus far for mostly the same reasons. I have a couple jars of Testor's enamel that I use for detail painting so I can use fewer coats, and even those little jars make me light-headed inside unless I have the doors open and a fan running. My 'studio' is in the basement, so airbrushing enamels is kind of out of the question, sadly. I like acrylics though, they've never done me wrong. The Force Impulse I posted a couple pages back is all acrylic, as is the kit I just finished:

Do you use primer \ clear coat when painting in acrylics? I ask because you noted that it's easily scratched so a protective layer of clear coat seems almost necessary. Can you use enamel clear coat over top acrylic paint or is that a terrible idea? I recall hearing that you cannot mix lacquers \ enamels \ acrylics as they'll absorb \ destroy each other.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 12, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Jesus, I think the first step you need to do for painting Gunpla is get a less contrary roommate. Just curious, are those kits you have of the Zeta and MK.II 2.0 or the original kits?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Jesus, I think the first step you need to do for painting Gunpla is get a less contrary roommate. Just curious, are those kits you have of the Zeta and MK.II 2.0 or the original kits?

They're the 2.0s. The MKII is really nice and one of my favorite models along with my Char's Zaku 2.0. (I also really like my Rick Dom and Z'Gok but that's because I'm a Zeon nut.) The Zeta looks nice but was a pain to assemble due to its transformation, and I never plan to ever put it in Waverider mode again. He also has trouble holding up his big honkin' Hyper Mega Launcher but since I live on earth and we have gravity here, that's understandable.

Since I have the MKII and Zeta, part of me wants the Hyaku-Shiki, a Red Rick Dias and Haman Karn's Qubeley to finish off my Zeta collection. (I'm never getting The O, it's too drat big and expensive.) Course, I also need to get a GM, Ball, Guntank, Gelgoog and Gouf to finish off my main 0079 suits. And my RX-78 is the 1.5 and not the 3.0 but I don't feel terribly inclined to upgrade it...

See, whenever I go into a new scale I sort of want to get all the "main" suits in a series before branching off into the obscure stuff and I kinda want to try and get away from that so my collection can be a little more diverse.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 12, 2013

Oblique Angle
Feb 11, 2011

God or the devil? Why not surpass them both?!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Do you use primer \ clear coat when painting in acrylics? I ask because you noted that it's easily scratched so a protective layer of clear coat seems almost necessary. Can you use enamel clear coat over top acrylic paint or is that a terrible idea? I recall hearing that you cannot mix lacquers \ enamels \ acrylics as they'll absorb \ destroy each other.

I always use primer and topcoat, yes. As far as mixing paint types goes, I've never airbrushed different paint types onto each other, but I detail paint with enamels over the airbrushed acrylics and it doesn't cause any problems, so I'm either real lucky or it's not that much of a problem. It may be because I always let the paint dry first, I dunno.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Making the fin funnels for a HG Nu Gundam might rank as one of the most tedious things I've done for 'fun' in my life.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Pro tip cut off all the parts and clean them first before doing assembly for poo poo like that. It takes the tedium out of putting down and picking up tools over and over.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Oblique Angle posted:

:v:

More here.

Lookin' good! Yeah, I would only be spraying acrylics and topcoating everything for durability. Not sure how I'll panel line without messing up the acrylics though unless I used canned lacquer from Tamiya because then I can use enamel and clean it up with lighter fluid.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Put a gloss coat over the acrylic and you shouldn't have to worry about your panel lining messing things up.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Are there cool gloss coats for use with an airbrush? Other than the Pledge Future floor wax wonderstuff. Does that even hold up to lighter fluid?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So, did anyone here want that MG Strike Rouge w/ Phoenix Pack?

How about now? I think someone at Bandai's engineering staff forgot what Master Grade means.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Foil decals are kind of tacky for a Master Grade, sure, but most of those markings wouldn't be practical as multi-color moldings.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

TaurusOxford posted:

How about now? I think someone at Bandai's engineering staff forgot what Master Grade means.

The Strike Rouge was supposed to be an online exclusive, so this is kind of to be expected. Looks like most of it is for the Phoenix pack too.

EthanSteele posted:

Other than the Pledge Future floor wax wonderstuff. Does that even hold up to lighter fluid?

Pretty sure it does.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I frequently use turpentine with my oils when I do a wash on top of my Future top coat. I'm pretty sure it handle lighter fluid no problem as well as I've seen it recommend a lot.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So I recently just caught them on a sale at a local shop. Anyone have experience with the 1/35 Nirvash and 1/35 Lancelot?

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 15, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The old Eureka 7 kits are a bit naff. I'm using British slang here because it feels right for them in this instance. The plastic is a bit shoddy, but the articulation is surprisingly well done on most of them, even the 606, which you think would be pretty awful. As long as you take your time and put a bit of care into them, they're 'good enough.' As far as the Geass kits go, they're more recent so they're probably pretty solid.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Much appreciated. I'm really excited for both, but when I popped open the box for the Lancelot, the amount of gold paint needed is gonna eat up my paint markers. After these though, I've had my eyes on Ohta's ingram with the combat armor for my next kit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Like I said, as long as you're careful with the plastic on the E7 kit, and are willing to put in a little bit of work detailing, it'll come out surprisingly well for how I would've expected them to be.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bimmi posted:

Foil decals are kind of tacky for a Master Grade, sure, but most of those markings wouldn't be practical as multi-color moldings.

Some thin snap-in liners would have been nice, but frustrating to liberate from the sprue.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

So this weekend I decided to touch up some of my old MGs and give em a matte topcoat. Turned out okay I think. (Wish I had a better camera.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

"You take the Cookie Jar, I'll hold the Pizza Box. MOVE!"

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"You take the Cookie Jar, I'll hold the Pizza Box. MOVE!"

I laughed at this way harder than I should have. Good job. :)

Got around to re-organizing my Lead Gundam kits. I really wish I could put FA Unicorn in a more dynamic pose. He almost looks derpy next to the others.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A good way to handle FA Unicorn is to consider the complete thing as something you could do, but won't because it looks silly. The kit becomes much more enjoyable once you start only putting a few accessories on at a time.

Also consider dividing up the equipment among your other models. They're not perfect fits usually, but the standard MG hand is capable of holding almost anything if you're careful enough. And if you think of the FA Unicorn as a MG System Weapon pack plus a green frame Unicorn, all of a sudden the cost almost seems worth it. :v:

EDIT: Oh that reminds me, Oblique Angle have you considered ordering the Destiny Extreme Blast's effect parts from Gentei Kits? It costs 3060 yen before shipping for the Wings of Light and the O Runner, but that's still better than buying an Extreme Blast. And the Destiny just doesn't look complete without those giant pink effect parts.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 16, 2013

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Gammatron 64 posted:

So this weekend I decided to touch up some of my old MGs and give em a matte topcoat. Turned out okay I think. (Wish I had a better camera.)

That RX-79G looks boss. Somehow being dirtied up seems to be it's natural look.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Making the fin funnels for a HG Nu Gundam might rank as one of the most tedious things I've done for 'fun' in my life.

Oh good I have something to look forward to when my sister gets back. She went to the Gundam Front store and snagged me a Strike Freedom, RX-78, and Nu Gundam HG GFT editions. That being said, I am stupidly excited to get back into things since one of my friends is helping me buy my first Perfect Grade in a couple months. Any good suggestions? I was thinking the Strike but I'm up for almost anything that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. 00 Raiser, Strike Freedom, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Oh good I have something to look forward to when my sister gets back. She went to the Gundam Front store and snagged me a Strike Freedom, RX-78, and Nu Gundam HG GFT editions. That being said, I am stupidly excited to get back into things since one of my friends is helping me buy my first Perfect Grade in a couple months. Any good suggestions? I was thinking the Strike but I'm up for almost anything that isn't ridiculously expensive (i.e. 00 Raiser, Strike Freedom, etc.)

The Gundam Mk II and GPO1 are consistently well spoken of.

• Locked thread