Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I'd also be up for newbie Dom4 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Applebee123 posted:

So in theory a nation trailing in last place with the fewest provinces could teleport a few scs to each of the thrones along with a h3 priest and then claim them that turn winning the game if the other player doesnt have anything to teleport there the next turn? Assuming claiming thrones occurs after battles in the turn generation order?

Claiming thrones happens before battles, actually, so if you haven't forted them up you dont even get a chance to respond.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
How many thrones do you need to win?

Also I'll be down for a noob game

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

WYA posted:

How many thrones do you need to win?
Depends on what it's set as. Also depends on the 'strength' of the thrones, which is set pre-game.

For example, on a map with one three strength throne, two two-strength thrones and five one-strength thrones where you need seven points to be victorious, there are a number of ways to win.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zurai posted:

I like Slow to Recruit for mages. I do not at all like Slow to Recruit for troops. Why the gently caress are Jotun Skinshifters STR? Yeah, they're good, but they're not "you can only recruit one every other turn" good. Neither are Ur's Sirrushes. I really doubt Hydras are actually that good, either. The problem with STR troops as I see it is really that troops have a fairly limited window of usefulness in Dominions and making key troops STR just basically means that you have no opportunity to use them. By the time you've gathered enough Skinshifters to be useful against indies, you've already got a dozen provinces. By the time you've got enough to fight other players' armies, they're fielding summons.

Without necessarily saying you're wrong -- remember that research speeds in Dom4 are much longer/slower compared to Dom3. So the window where troops are useable may have been extended as well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I imagine that slow to recruit troops will be modded out pretty quickly. Actually there's nothing to stop people from modding in troops that are nasty enough to be worth the slow to recruit tag.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Zurai posted:

I like Slow to Recruit for mages. I do not at all like Slow to Recruit for troops. Why the gently caress are Jotun Skinshifters STR? Yeah, they're good, but they're not "you can only recruit one every other turn" good. Neither are Ur's Sirrushes. I really doubt Hydras are actually that good, either. The problem with STR troops as I see it is really that troops have a fairly limited window of usefulness in Dominions and making key troops STR just basically means that you have no opportunity to use them. By the time you've gathered enough Skinshifters to be useful against indies, you've already got a dozen provinces. By the time you've got enough to fight other players' armies, they're fielding summons.

Jotun skinshifter are not slow to recruit in 3.99g.
Are you using 3.99f?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think slow to recruit is awesome and adds depth to the game

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

WYA posted:

I think slow to recruit is awesome and adds depth to the game

I'd like to see them play with cooldowns on how often you can recruit certain things. Something like for Jomon, where their recruit anywhere 2S2? mages that are, for some inexplicable reason, slow to recruit. Instead of slow to recruit, it'd make more sense to restrict them to only being able to be recruited every other month, while still allowing the fort to be used for other things in the interim.

Why on earth did they make those mages slow to recruit? Jomon is even described as having weak mages; I'm surprised they made the list of things strong enough to warrant being slow to recruit.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dirk the Average posted:

Why on earth did they make [Onmyo-ji] slow to recruit? Jomon is even described as having weak mages; I'm surprised they made the list of things strong enough to warrant being slow to recruit.
Because the system is completely arbitrary. S2?2+ is a very good combination. But Moon Priests (S2B2) and Abysian Warlocks (S2B3?1.1) aren't StR. Nörna, Starspawn Mages, Sibyls, and Staretsy (which remain hilariously overpowered for their cost), on the other hand...

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Turns out that using aoe evocations with a blood 9 bless is a bad idea.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kin33 posted:

This made me laugh way too hard.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

This made me laugh way too hard.

Please explain, I need a laugh

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blood 9 bless returns damage taken to whoever dealt it. Apparently this includes arrows and spells. You still take the damage, but the enemy battlemages and the like get hosed.

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

dis astranagant posted:

Blood 9 bless returns damage taken to whoever dealt it. Apparently this includes arrows and spells. You still take the damage, but the enemy battlemages and the like get hosed.

Except, in my situation, it was my own mages collateral damage hitting my own blood 9 blessed troops.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Kin33 posted:

Kin33 posted:

Except, in my situation, it was my own mages collateral damage hitting my own blood 9 blessed troops.

This is the most wonderful story. :allears:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Huh, that actually gives Blood 9 bless a surprisingly useful utility in the mid late game. It takes a bit more fiddling to actually use it around your mages, but I think the ideal case is to not use sacreds around your mages, and instead use them as a suicide squad later on to kill enemy communions. Mix in small numbers of sacred with normal line troops and the feedback from enemy spells could be disastrous.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Starting forts feeling obnoxiously hard to crack for anyone else?

No idea how Mictlan, for example, is going to deal with it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

jBrereton posted:

Mictlan can levy slaves but yes the inflation in basic defence scores feels quite odd and makes early game aggression a little harder i guess with the amount of stuff needed to crack a fort.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

jBrereton posted:

Try any of the ape nations, where 95% of their units are Animals that get a big penalty to sieges.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Busting forts was always one of the toughest parts of dom3, and they made it tougher?

Well, more reason to stick to the adage of not starting a war unless you can win it.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

How are u posted:

Try any of the ape nations, where 95% of their units are Animals that get a big penalty to sieges.

Pretty sure the animal siege penalty is just a thing people made up.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
Its because capitals start with their forts fully upgraded which makes their defense rather high.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Jon Joe posted:

Busting forts was always one of the toughest parts of dom3, and they made it tougher?
Yeah, the starting forts on land are 850 defence Castles with 1300 supplies everywhere now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe in the earlier ages. In LA they're 1100 defense with 1800 supplies.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Lilli posted:

Pretty sure the animal siege penalty is just a thing people made up.

I thought the animal siege penalty was that they dont contribute/reduced contribute to fort defence

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Ah, I was checking in MA and wrongly assuming it'd be universal.

Having looked, for EA, it's a total clusterfuck in that era. Yomi: 50(!!!) defence Palisade (with lovely admin of 24). Hinnom: 850 Castle. Formoria: 700 defence Fortress.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

jBrereton posted:

Ah, I was checking in MA and wrongly assuming it'd be universal.

Having looked, for EA, it's a total clusterfuck in that era. Yomi: 50(!!!) defence Palisade (with lovely admin of 24). Hinnom: 850 Castle. Formoria: 700 defence Fortress.

EA Mictlan is also all palisades.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LordLeckie posted:

I thought the animal siege penalty was that they dont contribute/reduced contribute to fort defence

Yeah, animals (and things like lobo guards) can't defend well. They can still smash things, and that includes walls and gates.

Anyway, I'm going to see something on this topic soon, so I'll report my findings when, well, I find them.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So castles no longer change based on terrain, but are universal for each nation?

Big Sean posted:

What does Man look like then? If they have good admin on a cheap/mid-tier fortress then the old Castles-R-Us strategy might still work.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Big Sean posted:

:stare: A m-mictlan n-nerf???

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Slaan posted:

So castles no longer change based on terrain, but are universal for each nation?

What does Man look like then? If they have good admin on a cheap/mid-tier fortress then the old Castles-R-Us strategy might still work.

Man has the same castles as the rest of LA, but magister arcana being non StR gives them a relative buff.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I like the idea of LA Ermor where they get chaff for free and use gems to summon their mages. I don't like their 'kill everything' aura of death.

Is it possible to make a mod nation where they get free chaff? Or is that something that only an Ermor thing? I'm interested in trying my hand at modding a nation and that would be the kind of thing I'm interested in making.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
It's not LA Ermor anymore, they are in MA now.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I know that, but it is an example. LA Ermor is replaced by an L starting one with Soul Gates or something.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Dom4 has an #autoundead mod command which gives your mod nation Ermor's undead spawning. You can also mod in EA/LA Mictlan's dominion effects, and a load of scales mods (like the heat and cold of Abysia and Niefelheim).

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

LordLeckie posted:

The blood hunting nerf should probably count too.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Lord Windy posted:

I like the idea of LA Ermor where they get chaff for free and use gems to summon their mages. I don't like their 'kill everything' aura of death.

Is it possible to make a mod nation where they get free chaff? Or is that something that only an Ermor thing? I'm interested in trying my hand at modding a nation and that would be the kind of thing I'm interested in making.

You could also consider Pangaea - their mages summon maenads for free just by existing. Modifying commanders to either actively summon or passively summon is generally easier to balance and modify compared to Ermor's freespawn. The other problem is that Ermor's freespawn are balanced around the idea that Ermor has no real monetary income to speak of. This means that they don't hire mages, can't really afford units with upkeep, and have to pay death gems out the wazoo to get any decent research done.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Lord Windy posted:

Look at MA Marignon in TheDemon's DominionEnhanced.
The freespawn mechanic is another one, but it gets massive Flagelants...

LordLeckie posted:

Actually an buff (cheaper, faster to build forts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Dirk the Average posted:

You could also consider Pangaea - their mages summon maenads for free just by existing. Modifying commanders to either actively summon or passively summon is generally easier to balance and modify compared to Ermor's freespawn. The other problem is that Ermor's freespawn are balanced around the idea that Ermor has no real monetary income to speak of. This means that they don't hire mages, can't really afford units with upkeep, and have to pay death gems out the wazoo to get any decent research done.

Or Asphodel - they have some interesting mechanics, even if I'm having a hard time figuring out how to exploit them.

What do people feel about Asphodel in general? I can't help feeling like I need to sacrifice too much to actually use their free-spawn, and take scales I don't necessarily feel like taking. At the same time, without that free-spawn Asphodel is just a nation with two magic paths and Pangaea's expensive troops - not exactly enticing. It honestly feels like I need to put points into everything but a bless, to make Asphodel do anything.

• Locked thread