Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Zero_Tactility posted:

I dunno. I felt that Kamiyama's voice actor wasn't nearly as good in the dub. Half the humor I got from the character was from how clipped and polite his speech was compared to the rest of the cast. Also, Norio Wakamoto as Mechazawa.

But yes, Cromartie owns.

Mechazawa's english VA makes better motorcycle noises, QED

(cromartie is so good, the dub is so good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Mechazawa's english VA makes better motorcycle noises, QED

(cromartie is so good, the dub is so good)

Norio. Wakamoto.

Cromartie is good both subbed and dubbed. Watch it one way. Then watch it the other.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Zorak posted:

Norio. Wakamoto.

Cromartie is good both subbed and dubbed. Watch it one way. Then watch it the other.

For the record, the only other anime worth doing this with is Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, also a good comedy if you want good comedy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Bongo Bill posted:

The best comedy anime is Cromartie High School. Watch the dub.

That's a funny way to spell Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu. :colbert:

(Cromartie is still pretty great, though.)

Also Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Majokko Tsukune-chan and Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei, though I don't know if those got translations.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Autonomous Monster posted:

That's a funny way to spell Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu. :colbert:

(Cromartie is still pretty great, though.)

Also Irresponsible Captain Tylor, Majokko Tsukune-chan and Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei, though I don't know if those got translations.

Tylor has an official release and all of SZS is fansubbed. Not sure about that third one.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

Tylor has an official release and all of SZS is fansubbed. Not sure about that third one.

Tsukune-chan got a release from [Ureshii] back in the day, I know that. No, I meant specifically official releases. Should have been more clear, sorry.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Do you guys think the original Dragonball is worth watching?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Yes, it's still a fun series even today.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Farecoal posted:

I just watched through it a week ago and I feel very strongly that it is much better than Dragonball Z. If nothing else it stands up much better now that I'm an adult.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It holds up, though it's worth looking up what the filler episodes are since their quality can be pretty iffy.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Also, if you really must watch Dragonball Z, watch Dragonball Kai instead. I was never the biggest fan of Z, but Kai made everything so much more snappy it was alot of fun.

Had to watch it all subbed though, because I am British and cannot do without my Ocean dub.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I hated DBZ my whole life and dragon Ball kai was honestly fun and interesting, even if it's still dumb as gently caress.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Did they ever make a anime version of the manga about the dude with the really scary face who is actually a super nice guy?
That was pretty funny and amusing IIRC.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Angel Densetsu. They made an OVA I think...?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
I recently rewatched True Tears because it was one of the first anime I watched out of Highschool and now a couple years later and however many shows watched in between my perception of anime has changed fairly dramatically. It was weird because there was so much stuff I missed on my first watch just due to ignorance of tropes of the genre. So anyway I'm trying to find something comparable to watch, that is to say, a romance show with a moderate amount of drama (tugs the heartstrings), that doesn't look terrible, and is fairly concise (preferably not more than 24 episodes but, you know, exceptions if it's something exceptional).

I was going to say a few things about why I liked True Tears in order to aid in the search for something similar but after racking my brains the list I can come up with is kinda pathetically small. I guess it's mostly because it was one of the first shows I watched while I was getting into anime plus I just rewatched it, so I wish there was more. Buuut it does have some merits I think. The best friend character, for one thing, has an unusual amount of depth - really felt for the guy without him being a second protagonist. The entire supporting cast is fairly well fleshed out for a 12 episode series which is nice. It's pretty down to Earth, with no super powers or mechs or what have you - not that those things are bad but sometimes those kind of additions raise the stakes to ridiculous levels and make it hard to take seriously. The main character has that typical density of stone trait most romance main characters do and while he never really suffers for it the cast around him does which is more realistic than the usual sunshine and rainbows take. The drama is relatively creative and subtle - I'm pretty sure I didn't pick up on the incest subplot at all on my first viewing ...or the best friends girl subplot either for that matter - maybe I was just really dumb. But you know at least it's not a bunch of cheap sympathy ploys (ie:"she's an orphan with cancer and bones of glass") in keeping with the more down to Earth tone. Plus it looks pretty, I dunno enough about animation to say if it's well animated or not, but it isn't horrible to look at and the OP is very good in my opinion.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Sinking Ship posted:

I recently rewatched True Tears because it was one of the first anime I watched out of Highschool and now a couple years later and however many shows watched in between my perception of anime has changed fairly dramatically. It was weird because there was so much stuff I missed on my first watch just due to ignorance of tropes of the genre. So anyway I'm trying to find something comparable to watch, that is to say, a romance show with a moderate amount of drama (tugs the heartstrings), that doesn't look terrible, and is fairly concise (preferably not more than 24 episodes but, you know, exceptions if it's something exceptional).

I was going to say a few things about why I liked True Tears in order to aid in the search for something similar but after racking my brains the list I can come up with is kinda pathetically small. I guess it's mostly because it was one of the first shows I watched while I was getting into anime plus I just rewatched it, so I wish there was more. Buuut it does have some merits I think. The best friend character, for one thing, has an unusual amount of depth - really felt for the guy without him being a second protagonist. The entire supporting cast is fairly well fleshed out for a 12 episode series which is nice. It's pretty down to Earth, with no super powers or mechs or what have you - not that those things are bad but sometimes those kind of additions raise the stakes to ridiculous levels and make it hard to take seriously. The main character has that typical density of stone trait most romance main characters do and while he never really suffers for it the cast around him does which is more realistic than the usual sunshine and rainbows take. The drama is relatively creative and subtle - I'm pretty sure I didn't pick up on the incest subplot at all on my first viewing ...or the best friends girl subplot either for that matter - maybe I was just really dumb. But you know at least it's not a bunch of cheap sympathy ploys (ie:"she's an orphan with cancer and bones of glass") in keeping with the more down to Earth tone. Plus it looks pretty, I dunno enough about animation to say if it's well animated or not, but it isn't horrible to look at and the OP is very good in my opinion.

Arakawa: Under the Bridge might be your cup of tea. It's pretty slice-of-lifey at times but its probably one of the most odd romance anime that's also sort of about a person learning to accept his faults when he falls into a crowd of people who accept and nurture each others weirdness.

Another potential pick would be Gankutsuou. But it's less of a straight up romance and more of a genre subversion about the prices people pay for love and devotion.

Gankutsuou is a bizarre and fascinating beast of a show. It's a remake of classic literature (Count of Monte Cristo) that has been altered in ways that make no sense and don't really need to exist (The count is a space vampire?) and so in a way its very predictable depending on how long its been since you were in High school English class. On the other hand it goes away from the source material in a bunch of really good ways (It's in SPACE! The point of view character is different!), it changes the ending to make it much better than the original, it introduces a bunch of GLBTQ themes and characters into it really well (in a way that's way better than the typical hamfisted CLAMP style handling of the subject matter) and the animation style is breathtaking (or the opposite of that if you get motion sickness, just a fair warning).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

DamnGlitch posted:

Angel Densetsu. They made an OVA I think...?
Yep. I watched it recently and thought it was OK, but somehow lacking the intensity of the manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sinking Ship posted:

CLANNAD has two seasons of 24 episodes each, but I think it otherwise fits your criteria fairly well. That said, most of the heartstring tugging and overall quality is backloaded into the second season.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I've often seen Clannad recommended, but whenever I look it up I see the art style and just shake my head in incomprehension.

Some positivity - I'm giving Psycho Pass another chance after not being impressed with the first few episodes when it came out and I'm enjoying it a lot more now I'm further into the season (episode 13). It doesn't come close to scratching the GitS itch, but it's still pretty good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sinking Ship, try Honey and Clover.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone in the Shoujo thread recommended a whole buncha stuff that I've got in my queue, but I started on one yuri series called The Flower and the Star, and four chapters in it's pretty interesting and harmless, and actually pretty funny at times. Not top tier or anything so far but it's cute. This page makes me laugh every time I look at it.

edit: the art is kinda garbage though. Like the noses are literally just >'s.

edit: also I forgot what chapter I had read up to, felt like I'd read more than I had. :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 18, 2013

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Has anyone seen Zipang and is it any good?

MMania
May 7, 2008
I'll second the CLANNAD recommendation but yeah, the first season is like 99% set up for the absolutely amazing second season. And those faces are kind of odd.

Never seen anyone else talk about it here for some reason, I'll throw in a recommendation for Ef: a Tale of Memories. The art direction is phenomenal if you're looking for something particularly well animated. It does have a couple of wtf-fanservice moments, so don't watch it with your mom. It's only 13 episodes because THEY NEVER MADE A SECOND SEASON. Trust me on that one.

Also, Fruits Basket was charming as all hell and a 2-cour. There's some mystical people-turning-into-animals stuff, but it's more the setting than the plot. Excellent humor as well, which prevents it from being incredibly depressing as some seriously bad poo poo happens to most of the characters at one point or another. Decently animated as long as you don't mind dish pan eyes.

If you want to turn things up to 11 you can watch Saikano, but that is as heart wrenching as the previous three stacked on top of each other. The fan sub I saw back in the day went so far as to put in a message warning viewers to stop watching the show, it really does get that bad in the last few episodes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
FB isn't bad, but if manga is at all on your radar I'd say go with that version instead. The second half (which wasn't animated) is far and away the best part of the whole story.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Somewhat in contrast to these recommendations, I'm looking for something that's just very uplifting. Something in the vein of Aria, or Sketchbook ~full color's~. I've enjoyed Sound of the Sky, and Hidamari Sketch. While it seems like a good fit, I found Strawberry Marshmallow too sickeningly cute.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Try Tamayura (its second season just aired too) or Ikoku Meiro No Croisee. The former is basically Sketchbook with a smaller cast and a photography theme. The latter is a SoL show about a young Japanese girl living in 19th century France.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

FB isn't bad, but if manga is at all on your radar I'd say go with that version instead. The second half (which wasn't animated) is far and away the best part of the whole story.
I'd disagree a bit with this. The anime has a great soundtrack that's used well, the comedic timing is excellent, and episode 18 is a thing of wonder.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the replies guys, I've started Clannad and it seems to fall pretty squarely under what I was looking for.

MMania posted:

I'll second the CLANNAD recommendation but yeah, the first season is like 99% set up for the absolutely amazing second season. And those faces are kind of odd.

Never seen anyone else talk about it here for some reason, I'll throw in a recommendation for Ef: a Tale of Memories. The art direction is phenomenal if you're looking for something particularly well animated. It does have a couple of wtf-fanservice moments, so don't watch it with your mom. It's only 13 episodes because THEY NEVER MADE A SECOND SEASON. Trust me on that one.

Also, Fruits Basket was charming as all hell and a 2-cour. There's some mystical people-turning-into-animals stuff, but it's more the setting than the plot. Excellent humor as well, which prevents it from being incredibly depressing as some seriously bad poo poo happens to most of the characters at one point or another. Decently animated as long as you don't mind dish pan eyes.

If you want to turn things up to 11 you can watch Saikano, but that is as heart wrenching as the previous three stacked on top of each other. The fan sub I saw back in the day went so far as to put in a message warning viewers to stop watching the show, it really does get that bad in the last few episodes.
I think I got about halfway through ef at one point in the past and then dropped it because I typically don't like multiple protagonist stories is it pretty good despite that? (And is the second part really that bad?) Also I'll definitely check out Fruits Basket it looks interesting. Saikano gets mentioned in the same sentence as Grave of the Fireflies when people are talking about depressing anime so I think it might be a bit more than I can stomach though.

Anyway thanks again.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Ef's first season gets pretty emotional towards the end of both stories its presenting, and does some really interesting things with the direction. The sequel... just isn't as good, for one thing. I don't really remember any of the awesome directing from the first season happening. While one of the stories is pretty good (they give the whole story about the priest guy and the nun who seems to be a ghost), the other one is fairly creepy, involving a romance between that blonde underclassman (the minor character who's a fan of the mangaka protagonist) and that older guy who's neighbors with the other protagonist.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Invictus posted:

Lovely Complex is pretty drat funny. It also makes the GREATEST faces.

I got this show because of this post. I'm only on episode 5, but it really does have the best faces ever. I can't stop laughing at them. They are just so much better in context too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The anime went the extra mile since the manga's set in the Kansai region, which is the equivalent of, say, someone with a southern accent in the US, they hired an appropriate voice cast.

quote:

One notable fact about Love★Com is that instead of speaking standard Japanese, almost all characters speak in Kansai-ben. Many native Osakan voice actors are employed in the anime. While having one or two characters speaking Kansai-ben is common in many anime shows, having all characters doing so is unusual in media produced for a nationwide audience.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Blhue posted:

Ef's first season gets pretty emotional towards the end of both stories its presenting, and does some really interesting things with the direction. The sequel... just isn't as good, for one thing. I don't really remember any of the awesome directing from the first season happening. While one of the stories is pretty good (they give the whole story about the priest guy and the nun who seems to be a ghost), the other one is fairly creepy, involving a romance between that blonde underclassman (the minor character who's a fan of the mangaka protagonist) and that older guy who's neighbors with the other protagonist.

Melodies had some good directorial moments- I seem to remember it doing some scenes with masks or something that really caught my attention. And that "I was abused" scene is basically a retread of Miyako's breakdown in Memories. But what really turned me off it in the end is that I just didn't care about the characters as much as I had the first set.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paracelsus posted:

I'd disagree a bit with this. The anime has a great soundtrack that's used well, the comedic timing is excellent, and episode 18 is a thing of wonder.
Then let's meet somewhere in the middle and say that "if you liked the anime, read the rest of the story in the manga". I know that for my own part I was never really that hot about FB the anime and put off reading the manga for years, which turned out to be a mistake because drat that second half was good.

Blhue posted:

There are two things I remember the most regarding ef's second season: they did a surprisingly good job depicting the psychological problems character with a terminal illness would have and the big dramatic/climactic scene of the whole franchise winding up being unintentionally hilarious with how cheesy it was executed. I'd say overall it was marginally worse than the first season but not a complete catastrophe.

Davincie posted:

Has anyone seen Zipang and is it any good?
I have. I thought it was pretty good, though it was clear there was so much more story to tell when it ended. Maybe we'll get a second season some day.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Sep 19, 2013

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Sinking Ship posted:

Aside from the recommendations you've already got (Honey and Clover is perfect, Clannad is an excellent fit and I think Kanon (2006) would be as well), if you find nothing else to watch there's White Album, which I really hesitate to recommend because the main character is terrible and ruins the show for me, but the drama is certainly there.

unpronounceable posted:

Somewhat in contrast to these recommendations, I'm looking for something that's just very uplifting. Something in the vein of Aria, or Sketchbook ~full color's~. I've enjoyed Sound of the Sky, and Hidamari Sketch. While it seems like a good fit, I found Strawberry Marshmallow too sickeningly cute.

Sounds like you're looking for "iyashi-kei" (healing) shows. Maybe Kamichu? If you haven't given it a shot, watch Mushishi and if you like that, Natsume Juujinchou. Mushishi has self-contained episodes with a very tranquil atmosphere. You might also like Minami-ke if you want Strawberry Marshmallow without the hyper-cute (there's a lot of recommendations that could come from this...). I would also recommend Potemayo because it's not quite like these others, but it has a pretty relaxed pace. I haven't watched a lot of it but I'd also say Kino's Journey would be up your alley. Tsuritama is a chill and fun show about friendship, fishing, and maybe aliens.

If you're open to manga, find Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou. Also Yotsuba&! The author of Aria has a currently running series, Amanchu.

A lot of the Ghibli films that aren't serious would also fit. Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, Whispers of the Heart, etc.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, after finishing Legend of The Galactic Heroes --one of the best (probably Top 5) shows I've ever watched-- and some other of the recommendations you guys made, I'm looking for something slightly different.

Since I'm going to have a lot of free time in my hands, I kind of want to watch two contrasting shows. While I was watching the last "season" of LoGH, I also decided to rewatch Monster and TTGL, which sort of brings me to my first question: Could any of you honorable goons recommend any anime/manga where one of the main characters (doesn't matter if he's the villain or protagonist) is a serial killer in that same creepy-as-hell flavor that Johan had going for? Anime would be better, since I'm going to be doing stationary bike as physical rehabilitation and it would be rad to watch it while doing one part of my routine.

The other type of show it's... well, since I mentioned Gurren Lagann, I read a bit about mecha series that aren't related to Sunrise or Gainax, so I found a franchise that goes by the name Muv-Luv. Since I read that the main chunk of the franchise is on a Visual novel format, and the current computer that I use for entertainment would get destroyed if I so much as look at it funny in regards to installing anything, I was wondering: Was the anime that got made based on Muv-Luv any good? All I've seen are some google images focusing on tacky fanservice (and two girls look pre-teen while wearing skin-tight jumpsuits :stonk:), so perhaps it would be wiser to ask you guys if it's worth a shot. If not, what kind of show do you think could scratch that mecha/robot itch?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Muv-Luv Total Eclipse (the anime) was a complete waste of everyone's time. The VN trilogy is pretty good (though it has some caveats) and we talk about it all the time in the VN thread.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Muv Luv anime has lovely animation, lovely writing, and it tops it all off with a bit of racism and misogyny. Pick a mecha anime at random and odds are you'll end up with something at least marginally better.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Was the anime that got made based on Muv-Luv any good? All I've seen are some google images focusing on tacky fanservice (and two girls look pre-teen while wearing skin-tight jumpsuits :stonk:), so perhaps it would be wiser to ask you guys if it's worth a shot. If not, what kind of show do you think could scratch that mecha/robot itch?

The Muv Luv anime was terrible and don't bother with it except for maybe the first two episodes (which is basically a small self contained flashback arc). I'd recommend Gunbuster and The Big O instead.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Wark Say posted:

Could any of you honorable goons recommend any anime/manga where one of the main characters (doesn't matter if he's the villain or protagonist) is a serial killer in that same creepy-as-hell flavor that Johan had going for?

If you want the more murderously psychotic kind of serial killer, Black Lagoon and Baccano are chock full of em. If you want the more cunning, meticulous, "I've got contingency plans for my contingency plans" kind, I recommend Gankutsuou.

Wark Say posted:

All I've seen are some google images focusing on tacky fanservice (and two girls look pre-teen while wearing skin-tight jumpsuits :stonk:), so perhaps it would be wiser to ask you guys if it's worth a shot. If not, what kind of show do you think could scratch that mecha/robot itch?

I don't think I made it through two episodes of the Muv-Luv anime. If you're going to watch a mech anime with gratuitous fanservice, you should probably just watch Code Geass.

Also, did you miss the Escaflowne simulwatch? That is a great, somewhat non-traditional, mech show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo! Really? Are we talking about hilariously ignorant racism or, like, kkk-levels-of-unwarranted-vile racism? And misogyny? But... aren't the main cast part of some sort of Planeteers-esque multi-national team fighting against a world-ending threat of aliens or Lovecraftian abominations from cheese knows where?

Redcrimson posted:

Black Lagoon, Baccano and Gankutsuou.

I've watched those three shows at least twice (probably more with Baccano; that show loving owns and the dub is incredibly well done, as perhaps everyone has said by now) already. And I dig those three shows, I really do, but I think that no character in any of the 3 shows is anywhere nearly as creepy as Johan was (Well, maybe Claire, but he was also super badass and fun to watch, even while murdering the skin out of people). Hell, he was so creepy that even Mamiko Noto's lines while Johan was crossdressing as his sister are disturbing as all get-out. An unsettling serial killer with few redeeming traits would be kind of what I'm looking for.

quote:

I don't think I made it through two episodes of the Muv-Luv anime. If you're going to watch a mech anime with gratuitous fanservice, you should probably just watch Code Geass.

Also, did you miss the Escaflowne simulwatch? That is a great, somewhat non-traditional, mech show.

Code Geass was fun. Also, fanservice is not necessary; I was kind of commenting on the few spoiler-free images I could get from Muv-Luv. I've had the worst luck with securing Escaflowne (even with the resources provided by the Simulwatch thread). :(

e: Grammar.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 20, 2013

• Locked thread