Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Stall_19 posted:

I like how this episode felt like it was made on the assumption that would we pretty much know the Female Titan's identity.
The show dropped a LOT of hints, and the female titan design doesn't take nearly as many creative liberties as Eren's design. From this thread it sounds like the majority of people who didn't catch the twist just weren't paying attention to anyone besides the three main protagonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They seemed awfully chunky in general, unlike the soldiers who tend to have much leaner builds.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
You know that conversion seemed weirdly stilted in the manga too, the voice acting was perfect in carrying that oddness across.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Raenir Salazar posted:

You know that conversion seemed weirdly stilted in the manga too, the voice acting was perfect in carrying that oddness across.

So, was she pulling the same crazyface in the forest in the manga, too? That was the only part that didn't seem to fit with it being Annie, because she was so reserved every other time. Now it kind of makes sense, because she's apparently batshit or something.

Phobophilia posted:

They seemed awfully chunky in general, unlike the soldiers who tend to have much leaner builds.

One of those lardasses does parkour to get to her. I think he's probably not some average joe townsperson.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Captain Backslap posted:

So, was she pulling the same crazyface in the forest in the manga, too? That was the only part that didn't seem to fit with it being Annie, because she was so reserved every other time. Now it kind of makes sense, because she's apparently batshit or something.

Sorry, should've perhaps been more clear. I meant to say that their conversation at that tunnel towards the end was just as stilted and slightly OOC-ish sounding as it was in the manga, and great that the voice actors were up to the task in matching it.

Anyways, as for the scene where recruit got beat up by the corrupt MP's, I don't think Eren would have killed them. I'm pretty sure his sense of justice is more 'an eye for an eye' and would have just beat the poo poo out of them (or tried to until he's about to be beat up and has to be rescued by Mikasa :haw: ).

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
!!!

Just realized why Annie didn't want to go into the dark. Hanji's main discovery with Sawney and Bean were that Titans lose their power in the dark. I'm guessing Armin knew this and was trying to trap Annie in the basement where her titan couldn't move. Is the Survey Corp gonna develop gigantic tarps to trap titans underneath? Also, why doesn't the Survey Corp just go out titankilling at night? Let's hope to see this poo poo acknowledged in future plot twists eyecatches :allears:

snucks fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 15, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

snucks posted:

stuff that should be spoilered

Well, I'm pretty sure it's more that Titans are just too big to operate underground effectively; Titan Annie would be stuck if she tried to transform, and likewise it's too enclosed to use maneuver gear. She'd be trapped. Which is, of course, the reason they were taking her down there.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

snucks posted:

New episode spoilers

In answer to your other question, I imagine the reason the survey corps doesn't go titan hunting at night is that 3D gear is already quasi-suicidal even when you can see what you're latching onto.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Sawney and Bean still functioned for a few hours without sunlight. It was probably just Annie worried about the cramped quarters.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Soulcleaver posted:

Sawney and Bean still functioned for a few hours without sunlight. It was probably just Annie worried about the cramped quarters.

This. There's a reason Eren was kept underground during the second cour.

I really like this episode, they withheld just enough information to make you incredibly curious. It's going to have to be seen back-to-back with the next.

I don't expect the plot to have moved much in the next one. That gives enough room for some kind of big reveal in the last two episodes, before they gently caress off to make the next season. Which had better be done properly, they can afford that poo poo.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Next episode is probably going to be 50-80% flashback the explains what happened between eps 21 and 22 (the stuff we see in the preview).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was afraid this season would end slow, with this arc being about the survey corps breaking eren out, maybe Armin convincing them that he knows who the Female Titan was and not much else... But they get right to work with only Armin's intuition as evidence immediately. Also Annie being bugfuck nuts about being found out was great, too many stone cold antagonists just keep being stone cold when confronted and that's boring.

Show of the year. All years.

e: poo poo, forgot to spoiler.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 15, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
We found out what Armin's "evidence" was pretty quickly :v:
Armin was stone-cold to go and lure Annie into a trap by himself, drat. And then Annie puts the ring on because she knows something's off. Dang.

I also loved how sarcastic Eren was after he was rescued so easily. He's DISGUSTED. Hilarious.
And rewatching the second part is pretty great. Everyone is acting really shifty, exchanging meaningful glances etc.

I suggest that anyone who didn't like this episode go watch it again, or at least the second part. I enjoyed it much more the second time. I had kind of convinced myself that Annie wouldn't be the Titan because that would be too obvious, so I kind of attributed the general weird vibes to the fact that everyone was acting against the government. But making it obvious AND having the characters actually realize it works as well! But then again, denying the obvious made Annie's reaction to being found out even more chilling. It makes me wonder why she did help them, though. I'm struggling to find a proper word for her behavior. Fatalism?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 15, 2013

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think Annie feels incredibly guilty about what she's done as part of her job. Deep down, part of her really cares, and wants the best for humanity, even if that involved colluding in the grand conspiracy to keep the humans down. She did, after all, try to only fight in self defence at first, and part of her wants to justify all those kills the same way.

TK-31 posted:

Also Annie being bugfuck nuts about being found out was great, too many stone cold antagonists just keep being stone cold when confronted and that's boring.

Because she's a cornered beast. There is dead. She has absolutely no where to go, she can't actually leave the walls because she's aggros the regular titans even harder than regular humans.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Phobophilia posted:

I think Annie feels incredibly guilty about what she's done as part of her job. Deep down, part of her really cares, and wants the best for humanity, even if that involved colluding in the grand conspiracy to keep the humans down. She did, after all, try to only fight in self defence at first, and part of her wants to justify all those kills the same way.

Because she's a cornered beast. There is dead. She has absolutely no where to go, she can't actually leave the walls because she's aggros the regular titans even harder than regular humans.

That sounds pretty much right, yeah. After all, she did spare Armin and, and she seems genuinely pissed about how the nobles are screwing everyone over, and her goal doesn't seem to involve killing everyone. If it did, the giant and armored Titan could have ended it all when they broke through the wall the first time. Perhaps she started blushing and laughing because she was so relieved she didn't have to hide her secret anymore :unsmith: Too bad this is going to end in a huge massacre and I doubt she will be among the survivors. I really hope we find out what her deal is before the season ends!

EDIT: Or she's just batshit insane and only spared Armin because she thinks he's adorable, like a pet. She seemed to have a little too much fun with killing those soldiers. Swinging someone around like a ball on a string, kicking another so hard they fly like 300 meters, etc.

EDIT2: I just read this part in the manga, and the MP rookies have an extended discussion which was pretty interesting. I feel it makes Annie's motives a little clearer. Some (definitely not all!) parts are translated better as well, making some lines much less confusing IMHO.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 15, 2013

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Yeah, I did notice they actually cut part of Annie's speech with her squad leader, maybe it will be added/re-shuffled later?

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I come from other parts of the internet with news:
So apparently Annie laughing is based on a part of the scene that Isayama cut out from the draft of the manga, and later regretted doing so. Annie is supposed to be laughing from the relief of not having to lie any-more and is "turning back into a normal 16 year old girl". Normal being relative with someone like her.

Pensive fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 15, 2013

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Thank you, seems that people forget that a lot of the characters are still kids.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Huh, so my guess about the laugh was (kind of) correct. That almost never happens :v:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 15, 2013

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

LuisX posted:

Thank you, seems that people forget that a lot of the characters are still kids.

Yeah, I was talking last night to a friend of mine about Jean and he asked, "How old is he?" and I said hold on, I'll go check. And I check. And he's 15.

They shouldn't make 15 year olds so good looking, you know.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
It's essentially the same trope over here though except in live action, in terms of casting ages :v:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
On the other hand, Levi is in his late 30s. He's just really short.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFasSsSkKA

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcYt26Cr9uw

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I was kind of laughing at Eren this episode.

ANNIE WHY ARE YOU SAYING THESE THINGS? ANNIE WHY ARE YOU SAYING ARMIN IS RIGHT? ANNIE YOU HAVE A REALLY lovely SENSE OF HUMOR AND ARE GOING ALONG WITH ARMIN AS A JOKE EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE NEVER JOKED BEFORE AND THIS ISN'T A TIME FOR JOKES, RIGHT?

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Heliotrope posted:

ANNIE WHY ARE YOU SAYING THESE THINGS? ANNIE WHY ARE YOU SAYING ARMIN IS RIGHT? ANNIE YOU HAVE A REALLY lovely SENSE OF HUMOR AND ARE GOING ALONG WITH ARMIN AS A JOKE EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE NEVER JOKED BEFORE AND THIS ISN'T A TIME FOR JOKES, RIGHT?

It makes sense considering his character

Eren is crazy loyal to his friends and whatnot, and so he's absolutely desperate for Annie to not be the Female Titan. You can see him just panicking before Mikasa steps in.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Heliotrope posted:

I liked the "C'mon you can spin a guy through the air you can't be afraid of the dark" after she was twirling that Scout around by his cord while a Titan. I know he meant her hand-to-hand combat training but still. :black101:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Quote != edit. :doh:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I had to take a break from the show because of reasons, but now I'm caught up and hoo boy what a emotional roller coaster ride.

Heliotrope posted:

Yeah, this is inexcusable. Turns out he thinks she's a good person? After all this? There's no reason at this point for anyone to believe Annie is innocent. Eren should be foaming at the mouth. How he managed to make it this far without blowing his cover is a mystery. They've got some explaining to do next episode.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It helps that Annie was his good friend for 3 years. It's actually pretty reasonable that he's conflicted about things and not just going full KILL CRUSH DESTROY on her right now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

It helps that Annie was his good friend for 3 years. It's actually pretty reasonable that he's conflicted about things and not just going full KILL CRUSH DESTROY on her right now.

Yep. Also, denial is a pretty common thing for teens to do. He probably just didn't want to believe that someone he knew for so long turns out to be what he probably thinks of as his arch nemesis.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

FeedingHam2Cats posted:

It makes sense considering his character

Eren is crazy loyal to his friends and whatnot, and so he's absolutely desperate for Annie to not be the Female Titan. You can see him just panicking before Mikasa steps in.

TheKingofSprings posted:

ViggyNash posted:

Yep. Also, denial is a pretty common thing for teens to do. He probably just didn't want to believe that someone he knew for so long turns out to be what he probably thinks of as his arch nemesis.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. It's just that he's reaching so much for it, trying to think that Annie is now making jokes. It's funny in a sad way.

yellowyams
Jan 15, 2011
I just realized the anime cut out the scene from the training arc that shows how Annie was actually Eren's mentor so yeah Eren going through major denial is gonna look kind of dumb when the anime didn't really establish their relationship much. This is the scene in the comic, not really sure why they cut that when they had to do all that padding in the trost arc episodes but whatever. It does establish that Annie respects people who stand up for their beliefs and that Jean started taking training more seriously and also... you know, gave Eren an actual reason for not wanting to believe that Annie would be guilty. The anime's done some really cool things and sometimes has actually been better than the comic but there's also been some slip-ups and this is one of those imo. If you just disregard the poor buildup and weird execution of one scene then the episode was otherwise pretty good though.

Best part of the episode:

Jean looks like he wants to die.

yellowyams fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 16, 2013

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN2JHEIwzGI

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

yellowyams posted:

Best part of the episode:

Jean looks like he wants to die.

I just realized he's wearing a wig. You can see his real hair a bit beneath.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I didnt see this twist coming at all, but maybe thats because I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the show. Anyways, for someone who didn't know, the way they actually did the reveal was great. What are some of the clues I should have picked up one that would've told me who she was?

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 16, 2013

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

WYA posted:

I didnt see this twist coming at all, but maybe thats because I don't spend a lot of time thinking about the show. Anyways, for someone who didn't know, the way they actually did the reveal was great. What are some of the clues I should have picked up one that would've told me who she was?

Sparing Armin, Jean and Reiner, and pretty much looking exactly like Annie if she had no skin are the big ones.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

WYA posted:

For me it was pretty much entirely based on her appearance and confirmed even more by the fact that she kicked Eren's butt. And was also the only one of the rookies not present anymore but who had seen Eren come out of the Titan. Some of us a pretty certain that she's not the only one, too. I won't name names but, now that Annie has been confirmed, the other mole is extremely obvious after rewatching a few episodes.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 16, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Doflamingo shouldnt that be spoilers dude? What do you mean 'Jean and Reiner'?

Captain Backslap posted:

For me it was pretty much entirely based on her appearance and confirmed even more by the fact that she kicked Eren's butt. And was also the only one of the rookies not present anymore but who had seen Eren come out of the Titan. Some of us a pretty certain that she's not the only one, too. I won't name names but, now that Annie has been confirmed, the other mole is extremely obvious after rewatching a few episodes.

I thought it was Eren's mom for some reason, seemed like it would be poetic (also because she cried when Eren was taken back). What's everyone's interpretation of her crying?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Doflamingo posted:

Sparing Armin, Jean and Reiner,
Uhh no, she only spared Armin that time and nearly killed the other two, but was distracted by Armin shouting that Eren was dead.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 16, 2013

• Locked thread