Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

I think CVTs are weird as hell since the engine just whines up to a point then just sticks there as you gain speed, but that's only because I expect a shift to happen that never comes.

Yeah, it's this.

My brother has a new Pathfinder with a CVT and my parents have a Volt. The Pathfinder just revs up to 2-3k rpm and stays there until you back off the acceleration (most times). The Volt, being electric and fixed gear, just doesn't rev or shift or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
My 15 year old Mustang has just been declared a total loss by insurance, I've just spent hours and hours trying to figure out just how nerdy I want to go with electric vehicles, it's just a shame I can't really justify the cost of a tesla if I'm going to let my wife drive it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

illectro posted:

My 15 year old Mustang has just been declared a total loss by insurance, I've just spent hours and hours trying to figure out just how nerdy I want to go with electric vehicles, it's just a shame I can't really justify the cost of a tesla if I'm going to let my wife drive it.

I was a bit nervous letting my wife drive my Model S then I went and got in an accident myself.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

eeenmachine posted:

I was a bit nervous letting my wife drive my Model S then I went and got in an accident myself.

My wife just has a bad habit of crashing into fixed objects and then denying responsibility.
* reversed out of driveway into a car that was parked in front of our driveway.
* reversed out of our driveway into a car parked in front of our neighbours driveway.
* drove into a ditch, because it had grass growing in it.
But the best one is.....
* drove into high curb in parking lot, she said it was my fault because I was teaching the kids to sing the alphabet song backwards.

Her mother is the same, driving into a wall at a gas station and then trying to tell the insurance people that it was the gas station's fault for putting a wall there.

Personally I could afford a Model S but I'd be too scared that people would try (probably unsuccessfully) to steal it and damage it.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

illectro posted:

My wife just has a bad habit of crashing into fixed objects and then denying responsibility.
* reversed out of driveway into a car that was parked in front of our driveway.
* reversed out of our driveway into a car parked in front of our neighbours driveway.
* drove into a ditch, because it had grass growing in it.
But the best one is.....
* drove into high curb in parking lot, she said it was my fault because I was teaching the kids to sing the alphabet song backwards.

Her mother is the same, driving into a wall at a gas station and then trying to tell the insurance people that it was the gas station's fault for putting a wall there.

Personally I could afford a Model S but I'd be too scared that people would try (probably unsuccessfully) to steal it and damage it.

Well that is what insurance is for!

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

illectro posted:

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.
* blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.
* blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.
* blahblahblahblah, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.
Blahblahblahblahblah.....
* blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.

Blahblahblahblahblahblah, blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.

Blahblah I could afford a Model S blahblahblahblahblahblah (blahblahblahblahblahblah) blahblahblahblahblahblah.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
And quit blaming your wife for your clumsy driving. Get better, and get a Tesla.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

Ok ok!

Oh wait... delivers in 3 months. Nope, not going to drive my dead mustang for 3 months.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

illectro posted:

Ok ok!

Oh wait... delivers in 3 months. Nope, not going to drive my dead mustang for 3 months.

If you're near a service center they'll let you buy the loaner Model S's at a discount with no wait. I was there today and they said they can't keep the loaners around for customers because they all sell so quickly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
BMW released another press kit for the City Evolution maxi scooter. I am really itching for details on it. :smith:

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Phone posted:

BMW released another press kit for the City Evolution maxi scooter. I am really itching for details on it. :smith:

Man, that thing looks awesome. :allears:

I've only owned a 150cc 4stroke gas scooter but that was enough to make me intensely curious about other types. I have a friend who bought an old 'broken' e-scooter and rehabbed it for his commute. Given viable speed and range i would LOVE to own an EV scooter.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was phone posting (heh) earlier, but here is a more in-depth post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDq8qZjZD1k

Stats/features:
- ABS
- Traction Control/Stability
- Heated grips
- 8kWH battery
- 100km/62mi mixed use range
- 11kW motor (15hp) that can burst up to 35kW (47hp)
- 53 lb-ft of torques
- 75mph top speed

If they would only release a price!! :negative:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The guy's face makes it look like he's desperately trying to push out more electrons and go faster.

Or needs to poop

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012
IF I CONTINUE TO WHINE ABOUT THE PROBATIONS I RECEIVE, REPORT THIS POST SO THAT I CAN BE PROBATED AGAIN

Phone posted:

- 11kW motor (15hp) that can burst up to 35kW (47hp)

The amount of torque available at the 47hp setting would be downright dangerous, which is awesome. Im sure they have it tuned not to give you the full treatment off the line, but hopefully some computer trickery will make it as dangerously entertaining as we know it can be. :science:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I'm at 3 months and 3057 miles with my 2013 Volt.

A little backstory, since this is my first post in this thread. I had a 2012 Cruze Eco manual that I surprisingly enjoyed. It was a great little commuter car that was giving me 32 mpg around town, 46 mpg on the highway. I was averaging about 36 mpg overall as most of my driving is urban/suburban. I was planning to drive the Cruze to 100000 miles. Long story short, I ended up being offered a loaded $45,000 Volt for ~$28,500 after federal tax rebate (and they gave me $14500 for the Cruze). I also got 0% financing for 36 months. Evidently the dealership hadn't met their quota for June and were desperate to sell a Volt and knew I was a sucker.

I never considered buying a Volt namely because I didn't feel like it was worth $40-$45k. I always thought it was a good $30k car. At $28.5k for a loaded one on free money, I couldn't resist.

My stats so far:

2275 miles from the grid, 782 miles from gasoline.
I'm averaging 46 miles per charge
676 kwh and 18.2 gallons of gas used.
$67 in gas, $71 in electricity for a total of $138 in energy consumed.
4.5 cents/mile for energy

By comparison, my Cruze Eco was running around 10.5 cents/mile for energy

Things I like:

Styling
Technology
Smooth, silent, instant torque
Hatchback versatility
Well controlled ride
No range anxiety
Economy

Things I don't like

Rear head/legroom - I'm 6ft2 and have exactly enough leg and headroom behind the driver's seat for long-term comfort.
Rubber front spoiler scrapes on everything - sounds horrible but shows no signs of damage so far
The side mirrors are waaaaay out there. It makes judging width in garages a little tough. I'm on my second right side mirror, fortunately they're not expensive to replace.

Things that surprise me most:

How normal it is to drive
How well it handles on more aggressive tires
How well the dashboard interface works - on very rare occasions it is laggy, otherwise it works pretty well
How neurotic and irrational the people on the Volt forums are - on one hand they nitpick the car to death to the point where you wonder why they still own one, on the other they give the car glowing reviews and want everyone to buy one.

In my short 3 months I really like it. It's a good fit for my lifestyle and driving need. I would recommend one at GM's new pricing point ($35k) to anyone who drives under 50 miles daily, need to seat 4 average sized adults and luggage, and occasionally take longer trips. Anyone that drives more than 50 miles daily will have a hard time recouping the cost vs a Prius or Cruze or whatever.

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 15, 2013

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

I don't like that dude... I don't like THAT DUDE!

illectro posted:

Just chiming into say. loving BUY IT! Can't drive the loving thing enough. I even live in a condo that makes charging a bit of a pain, like when some rear end in a top hat parks in the EV charge spot all weekend, but there's free charging a block from the parking lot. I'm a bad person, because I now want to buy a house just so I can have a place to put an HPWC and pull 72/72A for a while. :smuggo:

Oh, also for gently caress's sake- get parking sensors! I'm on the "wait list" to get them retrofitted. Bloody thing is a 4700lb land yacht and is much larger than it feels.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Powercube posted:

...like when some rear end in a top hat parks in the EV charge spot all weekend...

If I drove a pure electric, that motherfucker would get a big old glob of two part epoxy in the fuel filler neck.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Powercube posted:

Just chiming into say. loving BUY IT! Can't drive the loving thing enough. I even live in a condo that makes charging a bit of a pain, like when some rear end in a top hat parks in the EV charge spot all weekend, but there's free charging a block from the parking lot. I'm a bad person, because I now want to buy a house just so I can have a place to put an HPWC and pull 72/72A for a while. :smuggo:

Oh, also for gently caress's sake- get parking sensors! I'm on the "wait list" to get them retrofitted. Bloody thing is a 4700lb land yacht and is much larger than it feels.

I feel your pain. I'm in a short term rental and am barely surviving keeping the S charged off a normal 110 outlet. Charges at 3 miles of range an hour!

Vigo327
Dec 24, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

$67 in gas, $71 in electricity for a total of $138 in energy consumed.
4.5 cents/mile for energy

By comparison, my Cruze Eco was running around 10.5 cents/mile for energy

I think that touches on something that doesn't get talked about much. Volt owners and everyone else seem to push the Volt primarily on the strength of it's EV-Range economics, such that if you drive MOSTLY within its EV range it has ridiculously low fuel costs.

But, EVEN in your situation where you went from a highly efficient ICE car to a Volt and use it outside of its EV range on a regular basis, it's still costing you less than half the previous vehicle in fuel.

As you say, that alone may not be a compelling reason to upgrade from a 46mpg-hwy car you already own or a cheaper 46mpg car you may compare to, but i think it's still a pretty drat good reason to put some math down and really look at the numbers for people who own an inefficient car and would be making a huge upgrade. There are probably some people out there who are driving around in 20mpg tanks that think the Volt is an expensive car even at 30k because they are not comparing total costs of vehicle payment + fuel costs to their current situation. Some of them might find that after running the numbers, not only can they afford to get into a cheaper Prius, they can afford to step up to a nicer Volt because they'll be saving so much on fuel costs that they can go a little up-market on their purchase price and still be paying less than they initially thought in TOTAL costs vs their existing fuel bill.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Powercube posted:

I'm living comfortably with a NEMA 14-50 plug, even though I can't run the dryer and charge the car at the same time. Still, it's plenty of juice to get the car charged overnight, even if I've run it down nearly flat. A high-power charger would pull more current than my entire house, so absent the wherewithal to trench new copper into the townhouse (with attendant HOA fight), I'm at the happy medium.

Parking sensors? How long have these been a thing? It could definitely use them.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Madurai posted:

Parking sensors? How long have these been a thing? It could definitely use them.

They came out with the price hike in early August.

About the epoxy thing; I'd love to- but I am the only EV in the entire complex- be too obvious. Also, the landlords are great about enforcement- just people are getting creative and parking in the spot after they leave for the weekend- then leaving right before they come in.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Powercube posted:

About the epoxy thing; I'd love to- but I am the only EV in the entire complex- be too obvious. Also, the landlords are great about enforcement- just people are getting creative and parking in the spot after they leave for the weekend- then leaving right before they come in.

Double-park behind them and drape the cord over their car.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Powercube posted:

Get permission from the office to call the tow company for them on the weekends.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

withak posted:

Double-park behind them and drape the cord over their car.

I'd love to double park behind them- but it's technically unfeasible due to the width of the lot. I'll go with the tow authority for now. It's only a thing when the free chargers a block away are blocked up with people leaving their Priuses plugged in all weekend. It's eleven miles of battery-only range, people! Come get it after the... hour and ten minutes it needs to pretend to be a ZEV!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Powercube posted:

I'd love to double park behind them- but it's technically unfeasible due to the width of the lot. I'll go with the tow authority for now. It's only a thing when the free chargers a block away are blocked up with people leaving their Priuses plugged in all weekend. It's eleven miles of battery-only range, people! Come get it after the... hour and ten minutes it needs to pretend to be a ZEV!

Ugh that plug-in Prius and the new plug-in Accord's EV range is so stupidly low. Why do they even bother.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Squibbles posted:

Ugh that plug-in Prius and the new plug-in Accord's EV range is so stupidly low. Why do they even bother.

Some people have commutes short enough to justify it. If work has a charger then you can double it also.

Powercube
Nov 23, 2006

Squibbles posted:

It's a case of ideal range at ideal wh/mi to even get the eleven mile range + charge and return home. Given my experience with EVs manufacturer's rating is based off fictitious conditions (not that I don't routinely pull 255Wh/mi in my S)- I'd imagine that they are probably getting about 9 miles of EV range a charge. I don't really see why you'd want to operate with such a low margin and not even have a small amount of gas in the tank. What if they go to the grocer on the way home from work, or want to go out for dinner.

Honestly, it's marketing. I get it, it looks cool to plug in your car- and you get a tax credit. Seriously, though- if you have any kind of ICE charge at home or use the regenerative breaking + alternator to charge the battery whilst you are rolling above the max EV speed anyway! I'd be more offended if I saw someone plugging in a Volt, though. That's not even trying.

Edit: I'd laugh if Prius and Accord plug-ins got Chademo before Tesla caves and makes an adapter. I'd love a cup of tea as well :smith:

Powercube fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 16, 2013

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Squibbles posted:

It's good for the buyer because they get tax break, plus they get to feel good about having an electric car; it's good for Toyota because they can keep the price down by using a tiny battery pack, and it's good for dealers because the margins are much higher than on other EVs.

vvv It's a pretty big deal, IMHO if you're going to be running on gas regularly you'd probably be better off looking at a Cruze Eco or the Cruze Diesel. vvv

Gynocentric Regime fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 16, 2013

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
I'm interested in owning a Volt, but I'm not sure how well it would work if I don't think I could charge it regularly. How big of a deal would that be?

For reference, my average commute is about ~35 miles daily.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

If you can't charge it regularly, you're probably better off with something else, like a Prius, or a TDI Volkswagen.

Your commute is inside the full-charge range, though, so if you can commit to plugging it in every night, you could easily commute on 100% electricity, and only use gasoline for longer trips. For me, this is critical, since 90%+ of my driving is my commute, I save quite a bit by buying my energy from the grid, instead of from a gas station. Don't worry about a 220v charger, either. As long as your intended charge circuit can handle 110v @ 12a sustained, you'll have a full charge almost every morning. (Volt has a 12 amp and an 8 amp charge setting. 8a is for suckers.)

The gas-only fuel economy isn't bad at all, but you can do better, elsewhere.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Sole Survivor posted:

I'm interested in owning a Volt, but I'm not sure how well it would work if I don't think I could charge it regularly. How big of a deal would that be?

For reference, my average commute is about ~35 miles daily.

Buy a corolla if you want to be boring or a mustang v6 to pep it up and complain about build quality. A 2014 corvette would be ideal and close to a volt in pricing.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrYenko posted:

If you can't charge it regularly, you're probably better off with something else, like a Prius, or a TDI Volkswagen.

Your commute is inside the full-charge range, though, so if you can commit to plugging it in every night, you could easily commute on 100% electricity, and only use gasoline for longer trips. For me, this is critical, since 90%+ of my driving is my commute, I save quite a bit by buying my energy from the grid, instead of from a gas station. Don't worry about a 220v charger, either. As long as your intended charge circuit can handle 110v @ 12a sustained, you'll have a full charge almost every morning. (Volt has a 12 amp and an 8 amp charge setting. 8a is for suckers.)

The gas-only fuel economy isn't bad at all, but you can do better, elsewhere.

Volt owner here, I agree. Although I want to chime in and say that the 240v chargers have come down significantly in price as of late. I bought a 30amp Clipper Creek and had it installed for under $600. A year ago, the same would have been closer to $1200. My motivation was primarily for running errands on the weekend, secondary was being able to keep the standard 120v unit in the trunk for use around town or at work.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Another volt owner here. Don't bother with the 240v charger unless you completely drain every day and have to charger faster than ~10 hours. They have small enough batteries to charge on 120v. Also, if you are on a lease, its pretty easy to calculate how much gas you would have to save to justify the charger cost.

Unless you just think its neat, then why not?

Has anyone here tried one of the kick starter/open sourced style DIY 240v charger?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My parents have a Volt and just got a level 2 charger installed.

The only reason to get it was that in the winter, preheating the Volt while plugged-in still caused battery drain. With the level 2, they can now preheat without losing any range. (It's a big deal when cold weather reduces your range from 42 to 24)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Thwomp posted:

My parents have a Volt and just got a level 2 charger installed.

The only reason to get it was that in the winter, preheating the Volt while plugged-in still caused battery drain. With the level 2, they can now preheat without losing any range. (It's a big deal when cold weather reduces your range from 42 to 24)

Being in South Florida was a big part of my purchasing decision. It would have been harder to justify in a part of the country that actually gets cold.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

MrYenko posted:

Being in South Florida was a big part of my purchasing decision. It would have been harder to justify in a part of the country that actually gets cold.

You might benefit from level 2 in Florida for pre-cooling if you don't have a garage. I have a tandem carport that is open on two sides, so being able to crank the AC 10 minutes before leaving the house (while still on the grid) has been a plus this summer.

Granted, the AC is a smaller draw on the Volt than the heater is.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

MrYenko posted:

It really depends on your commute and driving habits even then. After two winters in Alaska, including the last one with -20 F days, we're still at a lifetime MPGe of 178 and have only driven 1488 miles on gas.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Well, awesome. The dealer just sent up all of my paperwork and it's totally wrong. Wrong price, wrong financing info, wrong down payment...It even says I'm buying a sedan.

Anybody have access to a Nissan VIN decoder? I'd love to see what it says they're actually trying to sell me. Right now the paperwork doesn't show the option packages, accessories or even which model Leaf the car is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Try this.

And post the results, I'm curious. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I actually already had. It says it's a Z-car made in Smyrna.

Going the roundabout way, I pulled up the dealer's inventory online and found the car. Per that, it's exactly what we agreed upon. Somebody just ROYALLY hosed up the paperwork. They're sending corrected papers in the morning.

As soon as I called and said things were wrong the salesman pulled up his notes and read to me exactly what we agreed upon. I'm not 100% sure this wasn't an attempt to see if we'd just sign it (you'd think if it was they would have included my down payment in the numbers), but it sounds like they're going to try to fix everything.

• Locked thread