Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It feels pretty good, no lie. I stuck with pDenny and did Satyxis just to be as different from Trollbloods as possible, but yeah feels good man.

(I may also have picked up pSkarre to swap in at some point.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
Yeah these guys are going to be my second army to Trolls. I really like the Kraken so my next purchase will be Skarre2, Kraken and Necrosurgeon. Then I'll move into Satyxis with all the bells and whistles.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Oath Thread Crosspost

:drat: man, that's the best Ret I've seen, including the studio one. Soooo clean. You do gundams or something? The style really suits it.

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

My only ingredients are HATE, VITRIOL, and FLUFFY BUNNIES

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

So on Sunday I bought a Cryx box, Asphyxious1/2, Bane Thralls, Tartarus and a Skarlock.

I have told no one of this and am just going to rock up to my friendly WM group and be like "gently caress you all."

This is exactly how my first game with Cryx went at my local games shoppe

I walked up with eAsphyxious, that same list, and Cankerworm.

Several people were swearing.

I still think it is funny that most people in my local meta have no idea how to play against Cryx, as its just me and 1 other guy who plays them...out of 70 people you would think it would be more of an even distribution, but 80% of it is Trolls or Circle, the rest being a smattering of Cygnar, Ret, and Menoth, with a few Khador players

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Vosenbergen posted:

This is exactly how my first game with Cryx went at my local games shoppe

I walked up with eAsphyxious, that same list, and Cankerworm.

Several people were swearing.

I still think it is funny that most people in my local meta have no idea how to play against Cryx, as its just me and 1 other guy who plays them...out of 70 people you would think it would be more of an even distribution, but 80% of it is Trolls or Circle, the rest being a smattering of Cygnar, Ret, and Menoth, with a few Khador players

That is really the weirdest distribution of armies I think I've ever heard of.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My local meta has 100% drank the internet argument kool-aid about fury being better than focus. I never run anti-caster lists with my cryx or cyriss because there are no casters to run against. Just locks, locks, locks. And fun diatribes every game about how focus is outdated and stupid, which I sure do love hearing while I push my robots around.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

theironjef posted:

My local meta has 100% drank the internet argument kool-aid about fury being better than focus. I never run anti-caster lists with my cryx or cyriss because there are no casters to run against. Just locks, locks, locks. And fun diatribes every game about how focus is outdated and stupid, which I sure do love hearing while I push my robots around.

Well, fury is a lot more efficient than focus the vast majority of the time. But that doesn't mean hordes is superior to wm by any stretch... oh well. Just play Gaspy2 and pSkarre and laugh a lot :v:

Vulich the Subtle
Nov 25, 2012

Paul is unimpressed by the glories of the Host.

theironjef posted:

Kill all their warbeasts and then make them beat you with full-camp. That typically shuts idiots like that up.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Oh believe me I'm used to it already. Having played exclusively against trolls, legion, and gators for a year or two has really sharpened up my beast game. Got my eGaspy, pSkarre, and eSkarre tech down hard, and I'm currently eagerly anticipating the arrival of Lucant, who I think is going to be a definite anti-beast go to. Axis and Syntherion are doing me just fine in the meantime. Aurora not as much, since camping 3 or 4 fury is basically de rigeur around here.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone know any good sites To find local groups or by chance anyone here in the NEPA region?

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

S.J. posted:

That is really the weirdest distribution of armies I think I've ever heard of.

Trust me, I know...I think what had happened was that a lot of our players are worried that the whole "undead zombie army" thing is just too "on-the nose cliche" and they'll be made fun of for choosing it?

Also about half of them are former 40k players, so maybe they assumed this game is just as unbalanced and saw them as Necrons...and thought if they chose them they would picking an OP faction or something?

Not a single Skorne player in my meta, and only 6 Legion players...

I just don't understand

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The one thing our meta is really lacking in is experienced Legion players. That's turning around a bit but I hate not being able to get any games in against them.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
We have a WM-biased meta in Michigan for sure. For example, here's the results of Saturday's Michigan Cup:
pre:
Name	        Faction	               Score (SoS) (CP) (PC Destroyed)
JVM (RIW)	Legion of Everblight	5 (14.0)(21)(184)
Merlin P.	Cygnar	                4 (17.0)(18)(139)
Chuck	        Cryx	                4 (16.0)(16)(193)
Aaron S 	Protectorate of Menoth	4 (15.0)(6)(117)
Jake H          Cygnar	                4 (14.0)(23)(204)
Bill S          Minions	                4 (11.0)(1)(130)
Eric D          Trollbloods	        3 (18.0)(11)(180)
Dan B           Khador	                3 (15.0)(9)(111)
Jason L         Cygnar	                3 (14.0)(10)(132)
Brian B         Cygnar	                3 (13.0)(4)(129)
Dox	        Protectorate of Menoth	3 (11.0)(17)(153)
Marshal L       Legion of Everblight	3 (11.0)(3)(184)
Mike S          Khador	                3 (10.0)(11)(120)
Jarek W         Protectorate of Menoth	3 (10.0)(6)(167)
Gabe O          Protectorate of Menoth	3 (9.0)(5)(167)
Jake P          Cygnar                  2 (16.0)(0)(63)
Colin W         Cryx	                2 (15.0)(11)(70)
Jon F           Skorne	                2 (14.0)(6)(138)
Austin P        Retribution of Scyrah	2 (13.0)(12)(134)
Ray H           Cryx	                2 (13.0)(9)(86)
Dan H           Khador	                2 (12.0)(10)(149)
Isaiah T        Cygnar	                2 (12.0)(6)(139)
Michael O       Skorne                  2 (10.0)(6)(139)
Joshua B        Cygnar	                2 (6.0)(0)(110)
Brian D         Cryx	                1 (12.0)(9)(140)
Nic H           Retribution of Scyrah	1 (12.0)(4)(133)
Damian M        Retribution of Scyrah	1 (12.0)(3)(63)
Celeste D       Cygnar	                1 (11.0)(0)(105)
Mike S          Minions	                1 (10.0)(2)(94)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
We have so many goddamn Cygnar players, I get trigger warnings from the color blue. One of them had serious faction ADD though and only doesn't own skorne and ret.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
We have a pretty balanced meta in general, however it is extremely fluid what you may be facing at any given time considering that most players have at least 2 armies, many have 3 or more, often having both warmachine and hordes factions.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
My meta has a pretty good distribution; I think the only anomolies are that Circle makes up about half of the Hordes base, and that since I've sold off my army, I don't think we have a single dedicated Skorne player. Everyone else who has Skorne has faction ADD, so they're in a rotation with 3-5 other factions.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Crappy cell phone pic, and everything looks a little darker in tone than it should, so please excuse me for posting it. I just had the force out finishing tidying their bases and couldn't resist taking a quick snapshot.

Still got the Phoenix to go and then on to buying some more stuff to field Ravyn and Rahn based lists.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I just got my survey for Warmachine: Tactics, so those of you who backed it may wish to check your emails.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Is is the Awesome Ret Day or something? :confused:

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

I just got my survey for Warmachine: Tactics, so those of you who backed it may wish to check your emails.

nothing yet for me

Pierzak posted:

Is is the Awesome Ret Day or something? :confused:

Seriously, so many good looking Retribution models in here!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Pyrolocutus posted:

Got mine too, and am suddenly tempted to add those maps, since I have access to a poster printer and could totally use those for an IKRPG game or something.

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

theironjef posted:

Got mine too, and am suddenly tempted to add those maps, since I have access to a poster printer and could totally use those for an IKRPG game or something.

Speaking of IKRPG, is there a thread in traditional games on it? I'm looking to get into it...

For content: Why in the loving gently caress is it so difficult to build Menoth's Harbinger?! My girlfriend and I ahve been trying to build her Harby for nearly a week...

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Vosenbergen posted:

Speaking of IKRPG, is there a thread in traditional games on it? I'm looking to get into it...

For content: Why in the loving gently caress is it so difficult to build Menoth's Harbinger?! My girlfriend and I ahve been trying to build her Harby for nearly a week...

There is, it's a bit of a ghost town though.

My best suggestion is to brass rod her flag. The chains are a dick

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

Excelsiortothemax posted:

There is, it's a bit of a ghost town though.

My best suggestion is to brass rod her flag. The chains are a dick

We did replace the flag with a brass rod, but yeah, the chains are the problem for us...We even put her in a clamp to try and hold her together!

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Vosenbergen posted:

Pinning and superglue + baking soda are your friends.

As for the why, it's a test of worthiness: Only if you complete the construction of the model can you be considered worthy to play it.

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

susan posted:

Pinning and superglue + baking soda are your friends.

As for the why, it's a test of worthiness: Only if you complete the construction of the model can you be considered worthy to play it.

In all my years of putting together models I have not heard anything about baking soda...

please elaborate?

Am I just a dumb?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Vosenbergen posted:

It's generally floating back on like page 3 somewhere. The game is fun and well-designed and has a slow release pace, so there's not a lot to either bitch about or dissect. I'm a big fan with a few caveats. It's surprisingly fatal and has a lot of "leave it to chance elements," like if you get knocked unconscious during a fight you roll 2d6 to see what happens, and a roll of a 2 will just kill you, while a roll of a 12 will cost you an arm. The other thing is that a few of the careers seem restricted for no good reason. Aristocrat is human only (what, there's no rich royal elves anywhere or gobber robber barons?), and Pugilist is Trollkin/Ogrun only (and that class is literally punchman. Like the obvious example of a pugilist is Bloody Bradigan for Pete's sake.)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Crappy cell phone pic, and everything looks a little darker in tone than it should, so please excuse me for posting it. I just had the force out finishing tidying their bases and couldn't resist taking a quick snapshot.

Still got the Phoenix to go and then on to buying some more stuff to field Ravyn and Rahn based lists.

These are really awesome man. I am digging it.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Vosenbergen posted:

In all my years of putting together models I have not heard anything about baking soda...

please elaborate?

Am I just a dumb?

Baking soda is a quickening agent for the superglue (like ZipQuick or similar things, only you can also use it for cookies); it's a more fragile grip than natural drying, but it's still a solid grip and you can put a second layer over the top of it to strengthen and secure it. It takes a little practice and coordination and often 3+ hands, but it's often the difference between 2 hours of putting a model together and 15 minutes.

Vosenbergen
Jan 26, 2013

susan posted:

Baking soda is a quickening agent for the superglue (like ZipQuick or similar things, only you can also use it for cookies); it's a more fragile grip than natural drying, but it's still a solid grip and you can put a second layer over the top of it to strengthen and secure it. It takes a little practice and coordination and often 3+ hands, but it's often the difference between 2 hours of putting a model together and 15 minutes.

I've used zap-a-gap and such quickeners as well before, but the baking soda thing is news to me

theironjef posted:

It's generally floating back on like page 3 somewhere. The game is fun and well-designed and has a slow release pace, so there's not a lot to either bitch about or dissect. I'm a big fan with a few caveats. It's surprisingly fatal and has a lot of "leave it to chance elements," like if you get knocked unconscious during a fight you roll 2d6 to see what happens, and a roll of a 2 will just kill you, while a roll of a 12 will cost you an arm. The other thing is that a few of the careers seem restricted for no good reason. Aristocrat is human only (what, there's no rich royal elves anywhere or gobber robber barons?), and Pugilist is Trollkin/Ogrun only (and that class is literally punchman. Like the obvious example of a pugilist is Bloody Bradigan for Pete's sake.)

Obviously I'd be homebrewing the gently caress out of it, because some of those restrictions are needlessly complex considering how simple a lot of rules for WM/H are

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
I just lick or spit if I need the glue to quick dry. Then cut off any globs that might have formed.

Nukacola
Jan 12, 2006

Dat Drank
Via the Chain Attack Facebook page:

Ghordson Earthbreaker
Spd 4, Str 16, Mat 6, Rat 5, Def 8, Arm 20, Cmd -

2x Pow 4, PS 20, Open Fist

2x Rng 10, Aoe 4, Pow 13, Ammo Types (Quake, Crater, Driller - Ignore Elevation/Cover)

2x Rng 12. Pow 13, Rapid Fire d3

19 points, FA2

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Nukacola posted:

Ghordson Earthbreaker

2x Rng 10, Aoe 4, Pow 13, Ammo Types (Quake, Crater, Driller - Ignore Elevation/Cover)

19 points, FA2

Guess I'm going to be playing a lot of Durgen.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
drat, now that is a well done Colossal.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Thor + Master Gunner DM + Explosivo & Durgen's Feat & a few focus = RAT 7 2x 12" double boosted weaponmaster POW 13 AOE 4"s, 2d3 x 14" double boosted weaponmaster POW 13 AOE 3"s. With a 4" walk threat extension (6" with Redline), and that can shoot while engaged. That can be magical with A&H. That cause knockdown. That seems... pretty good.

EDIT: Wait, Explosivo expires after the first shot. Ah. Still, very good.

susan fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 17, 2013

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Nukacola posted:

Ghordson Earthbreaker

19 points, FA2

Its beautiful! My god, what a monster with the Rhulic casters.

Gorten will makes those POW 24 fists! :getin:
Durgen will make it Pow/Arm 22 and Feat plus Quake Shells will be instant assassination potential.
Ossrum gives him a great feat turn and Fire for Effect and Snipe will really help. While its only SPD 4 (6 on feat), I can only imagine the nonsense you can create with Bulldoze on a massive base.

I did not even think about Thor! Being able to just boost all the attacks or damage rolls as needed is too sick. I will definitely be picking one up.

Edit: Just to theorycraft some more since I don't have anything else to do on my night shift. Let's say you are using Gorten and fighting a Warjack.

Strength of Granite gets you to Pow 24, Aiyana boosts it to 26, Gorman's Rust gets you to 28, and Ragman being stapled to the side gets you to POW 30. Have Thor boost all the damage rolls and Gorten give it three focus. That's putting out 5 POW 30 boosted attacks. And that's ontop of all its shooting, which will get the majority of those buffs.

Now this is all "in a perfect game" style nonsense, but I cannot think of anything that hits harder.

Crazy Ferret fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Sep 17, 2013

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I am playing a Who's The Boss tournament this weekend and feel like using all my new stuff:

??? (*5pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

Not sure if swapping a vassal for the monolith bearer or covenant is worth it. I'm working on the assumption that I'll need the wracks and hierophant for focus when I inevitably get handed a 5 fury warlock.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

xiw posted:

I am playing a Who's The Boss tournament this weekend and feel like using all my new stuff:

??? (*5pts)
* Reckoner (8pts)
* Vanquisher (8pts)
* Hierophant (2pts)
Choir of Menoth (Leader and 3 Grunts) (2pts)
Holy Zealots (Leader and 5 Grunts) (4pts)
The Wrack (3 wracks) (1pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)
Vassal of Menoth (2pts)

Not sure if swapping a vassal for the monolith bearer or covenant is worth it. I'm working on the assumption that I'll need the wracks and hierophant for focus when I inevitably get handed a 5 fury warlock.

With the Hierophant you are running the risk of him being redundant since if you draw a caster with an attachment you wasted 2 points. Use that to add the Monolith bearer. Solid list and pretty much what I used.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I'm getting a gift of an IFK, before I even have any IF. If that's not incentive I don't know what is.

But I guess I could run him with Shocks in the meantime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Mondrian posted:

At 25pts I ran
pKreoss
Templar
Vanquisher
Vigilant
min Choir
max Zealots + UA

How does a Vigilant work? I love the model but have no idea how it's supposed to be used. Throwing solos around?

• Locked thread