Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I thought salad and vegetables go bad pretty fast once you wash and cut them? Like in a couple of days.

I make a large bowl of salad with romaine, cucumbers, sliced button mushrooms, chick peas, and celery in a tupperware container. As long as I keep the lid airtight in between removing servings, I've had it last a week and a half before. At most the lettuce will brown a little and the mushrooms will dehydrate slightly and turn a deeper brown, but it has no effect on the overall flavor. One week should be more than enough time to consume it all with no negative consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've seen Mason jar salads on various food blogs--basically you layer a salad inside a Mason jar and seal it with a foodsaver vacuum sealer (requires an adapter) and this allows you to make all of your salads for the week on Sunday.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

BraveUlysses posted:

I've seen Mason jar salads on various food blogs--basically you layer a salad inside a Mason jar and seal it with a foodsaver vacuum sealer (requires an adapter) and this allows you to make all of your salads for the week on Sunday.

I do have a poo poo ton of Mason jars and a foodsaver, I'll have to check that out thanks.

e: First few links don't even mention using the sealer, and since I only need 5 days of food, I should be able to seal it normally right?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I do have a poo poo ton of Mason jars and a foodsaver, I'll have to check that out thanks.

e: First few links don't even mention using the sealer, and since I only need 5 days of food, I should be able to seal it normally right?

Yep, just make sure it's airtight and you should be good to go.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmmm, sounds like I'll be preparing salad for next week on Sunday. :)

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005
So I arrived at my grocery store right when they were marking all the two packs of cornish hens down from $15 to $2 earlier tonight. I have eight little baby cornish hens hanging out in my freezer and I'm kind of not sure what to do with them. Cook them like a regular chicken? I feel like I should do something fancy with how itty bitty they are.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Dirtbag Diva posted:

So I arrived at my grocery store right when they were marking all the two packs of cornish hens down from $15 to $2 earlier tonight. I have eight little baby cornish hens hanging out in my freezer and I'm kind of not sure what to do with them. Cook them like a regular chicken? I feel like I should do something fancy with how itty bitty they are.

Spatch those cocks, and grill them under a brick.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Rub under the skin with honey/lemon butter and stuff them with pomegranate seeds before roasting.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Butch Cassidy posted:

Getting friendly with the butcher helps, as well. "Oh, you want to make braised shortribs? We'll have to cut a bunch to be worthwhile, but no one buys them, so have them all and I will tag the package at half-weight." "Here's the pig for your next roast, come in back and I will give you a mixed sixer of micro-brews from partial packs to drink while it cooks."

I have seriously gotten more free poo poo from flirting with butchers than all other professions combined. Then again, that might be from lack of trying... it's not like I go around trying to get free poo poo. Also what the gently caress does "spatch" mean?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Spatchcock aka butterflied

GlyconsCat
Sep 4, 2013

Dirtbag Diva posted:

I used to find good deals on those and cook them all the time as a poor college student. I wasn't a good cook, but I defrosted them in the fridge, put butter and oil on them, and just roasted them (keep an eye on it, use a rack, flip halfway through; the white meat dries out crazy fast if you're not careful), and served with cherry/fruit sauce and wild rice or smashed potatoes. It was the late 80s/early 90s, but even considering the national obsession to put fruit sauce on everything, I thought it was delicious. It was a nice treat and change of pace. I thought game hen meat tasted absolutely great in pot pies too, as weird as that might sound--I used to get a lot of requests to make that among the circle of friends I entertained. I'm living somewhere now where game hens aren't easily obtained at those prices, and I miss them.

Dirtbag Diva
May 27, 2005

Butch Cassidy posted:

Rub under the skin with honey/lemon butter and stuff them with pomegranate seeds before roasting.

GlyconsCat posted:

I used to find good deals on those and cook them all the time as a poor college student. I wasn't a good cook, but I defrosted them in the fridge, put butter and oil on them, and just roasted them (keep an eye on it, use a rack, flip halfway through; the white meat dries out crazy fast if you're not careful), and served with cherry/fruit sauce and wild rice or smashed potatoes. It was the late 80s/early 90s, but even considering the national obsession to put fruit sauce on everything, I thought it was delicious. It was a nice treat and change of pace. I thought game hen meat tasted absolutely great in pot pies too, as weird as that might sound--I used to get a lot of requests to make that among the circle of friends I entertained. I'm living somewhere now where game hens aren't easily obtained at those prices, and I miss them.

I picked up a bag of a dozen green apples in the same trip for $1.00 so I think I'll give these two ideas a try. I don't have any wild rice but my roommate left a bag of quinoa behind when he moved back to Germany.

Tendales posted:

Spatch those cocks, and grill them under a brick.

I've always been hesitant about trying this with chicken or turkey so this seems like a great chance to test drive the method!

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
Is there a list of "essential" spices I should stock my cupboards with to magically transform any bland pile of rice + vegetables into a fantastic feat of escapism?

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

BraveUlysses posted:

Spatchcock aka butterflied
Not quite. Butterfly is splitting the keel bone, opening the chest. Spatchcocking is removing the spine, opening the back.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

KillarySwank posted:

Is there a list of "essential" spices I should stock my cupboards with to magically transform any bland pile of rice + vegetables into a fantastic feat of escapism?

Well, basic salt and pepper can actually do a lot. Besides that, the usual: ginger, garlic, oregano, maybe rosemary...

Having some soy sauce on hand is always a good idea. Rice + pan + soy sauce = fried rice (kinda)!

Also, I will always sing the praises of sriracha. A quick, easy way to get both sweet and spice.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

KillarySwank posted:

Bacon, you can use homeopathic portions of bacon as a spice. Fry it in oil to get flavored oil. Very tasty.
I also like to add sesame, when I make some of that simple stuff.
If your stuff is really too bland, I have a bag of purified umani for emergencies.

Otherwise any of the traditional combos work pretty well:
Salt,pepper, paprika, caraway.
Paprika, cumin, chili.
Olive-Oil, pepper, garlic.
Shaoxiang, soysouce, sugar, chili/anispepper.
Curry.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

KillarySwank posted:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Lemon_Rice

Make a lemon rice. You won't turn back.

Seriously though. If you're trying to make plain rice more flavourful, it's dead simple. All you really need is a bit of cumin (whole seeds), some oil, some salt, and a grinding or two of black pepper. You start with some oil in a skillet or pot. Add the cumin when the oil gets hot. Lift up the pot/skillet, and swirl it around so the cumin gets well toasted (without burning). Then, add the rice. Sautee the rice until it smells nutty, and turns opaque. Then, add your salt, black pepper, and water. Let the water come to a boil. Let it boil like five minutes. Drop the heat to a bare simmer, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat, and let it sit another 5 minutes or so. It'll be delicious every time.

My issue with adding too much spices to plain rice is that it frequently overpowers the rest of the meal. The basic cumin/oil/salt thing is a nice base for whatever you're eating with your rice, but not so much so that you end up with clashing tastes.

tagelthebagel
Oct 23, 2008
I want to try this whole chicken thing everyone has been talking about but is there a good brand that isn't pumped fill of poo poo hormones and bad farming practices?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

tagelthebagel posted:

I want to try this whole chicken thing everyone has been talking about but is there a good brand that isn't pumped fill of poo poo hormones and bad farming practices?

Look at this noob who doesn't have their own Kitchen Counter Chicken Coop.

I'm kidding, but I would probably say if the producer is large enough to be its own "brand", the chickens would probably have been treated like poo poo. You probably just want to seek out expensive chicken would be my guess.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

KillarySwank posted:

Yes, yes there is.
Dammit. I made a list of a bunch of spices that are good to keep around, and dino. is alway handy here and he has already replied.
But yeah I remember grand fromage asking a question about necessary spices to keep around, and he mentioned about all of them bar 1-3 and a reply from ricola? I can't remember, but it covered it all with whatever GF missed. I had a look and couldn't find it with a manual/memory search, as people post randomly in any thread here.
I have no premium search, just a $10 poor.
It was recent in the last couple of days somewhere in this subforum though.
Dunno, pay up and look for yourself or keep constant watch I guess.
If you're poor, get dry whole spices, grow 'erbs 420 evry day.

Edit: found them:

Grand Fromage posted:

What spices do you guys keep stocked? I'm gathering fresh whole spices and not sure what to get next. I have Sichuan peppercorn, black pepper, long pepper, nutmeg, cloves, star anise, fennel, cumin, coriander, cardamom pods, cinnamon, mustard seed. I'm getting some anise, caraway, celery seed, grains of paradise, and cardamom seed. I feel like I need more than this.

Rurutia posted:

Sichuan peppercorn, tellicherry peppercorn, white peppercorn, nutmeg, clove, coriander, black mustard seed, yellow mustard powder, smoked paprika, hot paprika, cayenne powder, dried bay leaves, green and black cardamom pods, cardamom seeds, whole turmeric (I also keep fresh turmeric in the fridge), thyme, dried red chili, msg.

I don't have any right now, but I make chile powder and will store that but we use it pretty fast.

I've never really felt the need for much else.
Of those, I keep szechuan peppercorns, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon (whole and ground), star anise (mainly for sauting with onions), fennel seeds, cumin, smoked paprika, sweet paprika, cayenne powder, dried bay leaves, curry leaves, green cardamom pods, cardamom seeds, turmeric, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and saffron.
As well as growing green/spring onions, chilli and lemons if you can /joke - you'll need them a lot :D. And buying butter, onion, garlic, turmeric powder, curry powder, nuts, and making chilli spice mixes.

Edit: Don't forget a good oyster sauce, soy sauce (dark), soy sauce (light), fish sauce, shaoxing wine or sherry and some chilli/soy oil bean paste, or chilli garlic sauce. That's cooking poor 101. After that, all you need is veg and rice/potatoes/noodles, optional tinned tomatoes or coconut milk, and some legumes or meat, and a heat source.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 16, 2013

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Yep, just make sure it's airtight and you should be good to go.

Made a couple out of seasoned rice vinegar, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, and mixed greens.

Any tips on not being a gigantic idiot and forgetting them at home?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Made a couple out of seasoned rice vinegar, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, and mixed greens.

Stick your keys in the fridge with them?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Seasoned rice vinegar? Did you pre-dress the salads? If so, that will dramatically reduce their longevity...sorry I didn't mention this earlier. You're going to want to just make the salad and dress it at the time you're actually eating it.

As far as not forgetting them at home, I make my lunch the night before and stick it in my lunch bag, which I keep in the fridge. Once you get in the habit of always grabbing your lunch bag before leaving, it becomes automatic (especially since if I forgot my lunch I'd feel like poo poo running out to get fast food or something and hating myself for it).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm really hating how the recipes megathread finally fell off the board. Anyone have any good and cheap recipes that use ground turkey? We have 2lbs of it from the food pantry, and our bank accounts are at $0 for the next 2 days.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

captkirk posted:

Stick your keys in the fridge with them?

This works like a charm, btw. On one level because you can't leave without your keys, and on the second level because you spend all morning reminding yourself your keys are in the fridge so you don't "lose" them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm really hating how the recipes megathread finally fell off the board. Anyone have any good and cheap recipes that use ground turkey? We have 2lbs of it from the food pantry, and our bank accounts are at $0 for the next 2 days.
Since you don't really have money to buy anything, what else do you have at home?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Huxley posted:

This works like a charm, btw. On one level because you can't leave without your keys, and on the second level because you spend all morning reminding yourself your keys are in the fridge so you don't "lose" them.

I always put my wallet under things I have to take with me the next morning. It works 100%.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Since you don't really have money to buy anything, what else do you have at home?

um... a lot of components, but not a lot of stuff for meals that I readily recognize. I have a bunch of different spices, for fresh veggies, I've got a couple carrots, a pack of celery, a head of broccoli, half a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a little bit of a bag of frozen corn. I've got tons of canned goods from the food pantry, a bunch of bags of different types of pasta, and a big bag of white rice. Oh, and I just realized that I have a pack or two of frozen pork chops as well.

If you want me to get into specifics with the canned goods, it'd be easier to ask me if I have a can of this or that, since we have a bunch of cans, and I haven't done inventory on them in months.

mystes
May 31, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

um... a lot of components, but not a lot of stuff for meals that I readily recognize. I have a bunch of different spices, for fresh veggies, I've got a couple carrots, a pack of celery, a head of broccoli, half a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a little bit of a bag of frozen corn. I've got tons of canned goods from the food pantry, a bunch of bags of different types of pasta, and a big bag of white rice. Oh, and I just realized that I have a pack or two of frozen pork chops as well.

If you want me to get into specifics with the canned goods, it'd be easier to ask me if I have a can of this or that, since we have a bunch of cans, and I haven't done inventory on them in months.
Do you have canned tomatoes? If you have carrots, celery, and pasta maybe you could do some sort of mock-bolognese with it?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

mystes posted:

Do you have canned tomatoes? If you have carrots, celery, and pasta maybe you could do some sort of mock-bolognese with it?

I'm pretty sure I do have a can or two of diced tomatoes laying around... Oh, I forgot to add this in, I have BAGS AND BAGS of home made chicken stock from a couple weeks ago. I wonder if I have the stuff to make marinara sauce. I use this recipe, and substitute chicken stock for the white wine. It turns out amazingly tasty, and makes enough for 4 medium sized portions. I think I'm missing the stewed tomatoes though. Then again, the tomatoes get blended until smooth, so I wonder if I could get away with using diced and adding spices to make it roughly similar in taste? Hmm...

mystes
May 31, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm pretty sure I do have a can or two of diced tomatoes laying around... Oh, I forgot to add this in, I have BAGS AND BAGS of home made chicken stock from a couple weeks ago. I wonder if I have the stuff to make marinara sauce. I use this recipe, and substitute chicken stock for the white wine. It turns out amazingly tasty, and makes enough for 4 medium sized portions. I think I'm missing the stewed tomatoes though. Then again, the tomatoes get blended until smooth, so I wonder if I could get away with using diced and adding spices to make it roughly similar in taste? Hmm...
Yeah do this. Use diced tomatoes and stock, but before adding them saute diced carrots and celery (plus an onion and garlic if you have them).

With just one can of diced tomatoes it probably won't be that tomato-y if you don't add tomato paste even after you let it reduce, but it should still be tasty.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

You could make porcupines. Make meatballs out of ground turkey and cooked white rice.Brown them in skillet and finish cooking in cream of mushroom soup or other liquid. I suppose you could substitute chix stock with a touch of cornstarch slurry (or roux if you feel like :effort:).

Serve over rice.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
Another turkey suggestion because you can kind of throw anything in it and make it flavorful and awesome: Meatloaf. Yes, with turkey. You can bulk it out with breadcrumbs and frozen (thawed, drained) vegetables. This recipe might be a good place to start.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Has cornbread been mentioned yet? You can get 5lbs of self rising corn meal for like $5 where I live. Mix one egg, one cup milk, 1/4th cup oil. Stir in 2 cups of corn meal. Pour into a cast iron skillet and bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees. Makes six servings, at a price of about $.30 a serving excluding energy costs. I eat this with my beans, greens and rice. Southern poverty at its finest.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, I'll probably do marinara today, and something with the turkey tomorrow, when I have more time to cook.

Tweek posted:

You could make porcupines. Make meatballs out of ground turkey and cooked white rice.Brown them in skillet and finish cooking in cream of mushroom soup or other liquid. I suppose you could substitute chix stock with a touch of cornstarch slurry (or roux if you feel like :effort:).

Serve over rice.

Do you have a basic recipe for this? I tend to want to follow recipes the first time I try and make something, then modify it and make it my own the next time I make it. How much rice would I use for 2lbs of ground turkey? I think I have a can of cream of mushroom soup, so do I add in milk? Water? Chicken stock? How much? Any other seasonings or add-ins you'd recommend?

As for the meatloaf suggestion, I think I'd want to try that with the turkey. I have to see what the fiance wants to try though.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Seasoned rice vinegar? Did you pre-dress the salads? If so, that will dramatically reduce their longevity...sorry I didn't mention this earlier. You're going to want to just make the salad and dress it at the time you're actually eating it.

As far as not forgetting them at home, I make my lunch the night before and stick it in my lunch bag, which I keep in the fridge. Once you get in the habit of always grabbing your lunch bag before leaving, it becomes automatic (especially since if I forgot my lunch I'd feel like poo poo running out to get fast food or something and hating myself for it).

They only need to last a few days, the things I found online said that dressing in the bottom will be fine? Seemed to make sense for me. I put the cucumbers in second so if anything they'll be slightly pickled, which is fine by me

I just need to not run out the door, I thought about putting it by the front door a few times while getting ready and then totally forgot.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

They only need to last a few days, the things I found online said that dressing in the bottom will be fine? Seemed to make sense for me. I put the cucumbers in second so if anything they'll be slightly pickled, which is fine by me

I just need to not run out the door, I thought about putting it by the front door a few times while getting ready and then totally forgot.

Put a note on the door, with big bold letters that reminds you not to forget your lunch?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Just put your keys with the food, works erry time. Unless you have a front door where you can lock yourself out.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

When I try to stretch ground meat it's taco night here. Beans and rice are the bulk, meat and spices provide the flavor. Cheese, sour cream round it out if you have it. Peppers are surprisingly cheap from the Mexican supermarkets.

With the cuts like those pork chops. I tend to make my white boy Asian stir fry. Mostly tends to be my dumping ground for the veggies before they go bad. Pile 'em all in and sautee them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012
Are Polish grocery stores particularly good for anything other than sauerkraut? There's a couple near me, and I'm wondering if they might be better than Aldi/Lidl for certain foods.