Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Any chance that a button could be added (or the 'Copy Post URL' functionality could have an additional option) allowing a post to be opened directly in the browser when pushed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It rather annoys me when I swipe out to bookmarks on my iPad and it marks the page I'm viewing read

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Aatrek posted:

Any chance that a button could be added (or the 'Copy Post URL' functionality could have an additional option) allowing a post to be opened directly in the browser when pushed?

I don't think you're the first to suggest it. I can take a look.

101 posted:

It rather annoys me when I swipe out to bookmarks on my iPad and it marks the page I'm viewing read

Me too, man. Me too.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

Me too, man. Me too.

What do I pay you for? :argh:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

101 posted:

The page is marked read as soon as you open it. Just like in the browser.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sereri posted:

The page is marked read as soon as you open it. Just like in the browser.

101 is legitimately complaining about something Awful does. On iPad, you can be reading a thread and open the bookmarks at the same time. The bookmark list will refresh itself if it hasn't for awhile. This will update each thread's lastReadPosts property. And the posts view you were reading, and still have open, notices this change and re-renders itself. Now the posts are rendered as "read", even though you never left the page.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

pokeyman posted:

I don't think you're the first to suggest it. I can take a look.

Awesome. There's no mod controls in the app (which is fine), but it's kind of a pain to have to copy the url, jump to Chrome, paste it, do my mod thing, then jump back - especially if there are several posters making GBS threads up a thread.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

pokeyman posted:

101 is legitimately complaining about something Awful does. On iPad, you can be reading a thread and open the bookmarks at the same time. The bookmark list will refresh itself if it hasn't for awhile. This will update each thread's lastReadPosts property. And the posts view you were reading, and still have open, notices this change and re-renders itself. Now the posts are rendered as "read", even though you never left the page.

Heh, I see. We've had something like that happen when a user switched back to the app. The solution was to simply not do that.

I'm currently wondering how much work it would be to mark all posts as unread in javascript, mark them read when you scroll over them and match that with the forums via 'last post read' as soon as you leave the page in any way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
SALR used to have an option to mark as read based on your scroll position.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'd be a little nervous about accidentally rotating portrait/landscape and it messing up the read-to positioning.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sereri posted:

Heh, I see. We've had something like that happen when a user switched back to the app. The solution was to simply not do that.

I'm currently wondering how much work it would be to mark all posts as unread in javascript, mark them read when you scroll over them and match that with the forums via 'last post read' as soon as you leave the page in any way.

Not much work at all really, at least in Awful.app. Syncing the last read position with SA is a great idea. Not sure visually marking as read while you scroll is a great experience though. I'd want to see it in action.

The Dave posted:

I'd be a little nervous about accidentally rotating portrait/landscape and it messing up the read-to positioning.

The slightly more general scenario is the tricky part: which visible post did you just read? If you read along the top of your screen, and you leave when there are four posts visible on screen, which one is the last one you read? I guess this is where the visual changes on scroll would be useful: a hint as to which post you're considered to have last read.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I know I asked this before, but is there any chance of adding an option to filter by thread tag? I use this a lot on the forums and for games especially, its nice to have.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I love the app. Recently, images haven't been showing up, or at least gifs haven't. I noticed this while browsing the 2013 baseball gifs thread.

I don't know if it's a hosting problem or an embedded image that's not showing or what. Is there an option I'm missing that I need to turn back on or something?

Edit - up to date on iOS.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 15, 2013

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That's happening on my iPhone as well. So it's not just you.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If it's possible to detect animated gifts, I wonder if we should do what I really liked that I saw on a website the otwher day:

Instead of playing all the gifs on the page it just had the first frame darkened with "gif" and a play button overplayed, and didn't auto play. Seemed to be a great solution if you have a lot on one page.

BriceFxP
May 16, 2013

Drunk as a Dog

The Dave posted:

If it's possible to detect animated gifts, I wonder if we should do what I really liked that I saw on a website the otwher day:

Instead of playing all the gifs on the page it just had the first frame darkened with "gif" and a play button overplayed, and didn't auto play. Seemed to be a great solution if you have a lot on one page.

TumbleOn and many other apps do this, so it should be possible. And with the number of gif threads on SA it would be wonderful to have.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Kameh posted:

I love the app. Recently, images haven't been showing up, or at least gifs haven't. I noticed this while browsing the 2013 baseball gifs thread.

I don't know if it's a hosting problem or an embedded image that's not showing or what. Is there an option I'm missing that I need to turn back on or something?

I'm also having this issue on GM iOS 7.

Absolute Zeroes
Apr 1, 2011
Hey guys. Love the app. Gets used daily!

iOS 7 bug report from the GM release. I keep losing the ability to scroll. Buttons still work so it's not freezing up on me. Not noticed anyone else mentioning it. Quitting and restarting seems to fix it, and it's possibly triggered by trying to "pull" the forums list over. Hope this helps!!!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
How does multitasking work in iOS 7? It's getting a bit more of a pain when I task switch now and the thumbnail is different to what loads. :/

That said, iOS 7 multitasking does break a lot of stuff. Like the 10-minute background hook doesn't stick on other apps (Colloquy being a major example)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Guys hardly anything is updated for iOS7 yet because it hasn't been released.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

withak posted:

Guys hardly anything is updated for iOS7 yet because it hasn't been released.

GM is out, I'd assume it'd be fair game to at least ask (even if a compatibility update won't get submitted until Wednesday).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I know I asked this before, but is there any chance of adding an option to filter by thread tag? I use this a lot on the forums and for games especially, its nice to have.

It's on the list.

I really do write all this stuff down. It's a disgusting, massive list, but it's there.

Kameh posted:

You're not missing any settings. Did this end up fixing itself, or is it still busted?

The Dave posted:

The other option might be to simply remove all images from the page, and only swap them in once they scroll into view. I've been putting this off because I suspect it will take a lot of work to get it right, but it's been in my plans for awhile.

It's difficult to detect animated GIFs, for reasons that might not be immediately obvious. If you follow the Android Awful app, you'll know that they're having a hard time with animated GIFs. We would too. I do hear the requests, and I think it's a great idea, but the technical implementation is eluding me right now.

TinTower posted:

How does multitasking work in iOS 7? It's getting a bit more of a pain when I task switch now and the thumbnail is different to what loads. :/

That said, iOS 7 multitasking does break a lot of stuff. Like the 10-minute background hook doesn't stick on other apps (Colloquy being a major example)

I haven't looked into supporting the new background behavior properly, so I don't really know why the thumbnail looks nothing like the actual interface. But it looks pretty shittastic, I agree with you.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

GM is out, I'd assume it'd be fair game to at least ask (even if a compatibility update won't get submitted until Wednesday).

Until you start downloading app updates that say stuff about iOS7 then assume that nothing third-party will work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

Until you start downloading app updates that say stuff about iOS7 then assume that nothing third-party will work.

They started popping up last week. Devs are being kind of coy about it though, is there still an NDA or something? They were all "compatibility updates for future iOS releases" or something like that.

Granted this was only about 5 apps out of a hundred or so, so there's a ways to go yet.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

xzzy posted:

Devs are being kind of coy about it though, is there still an NDA or something?

Yes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well that's pretty absurd. It comes out in two days and no one's allowed to talk about it?

Apple. :jerkbag:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

xzzy posted:

Well that's pretty absurd. It comes out in two days and no one's allowed to talk about it?

Apple is ridiculously insane about controlling information about their stuff. An NDA about the iOS 7 GM is small potatoes, really.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

pokeyman posted:

You're not missing any settings. Did this end up fixing itself, or is it still busted?

Still busted.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kameh posted:

Still busted.

Alright I'll take a look!

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I forgot to update the thread about that issue I was having the other day. I'm guessing it was something up with the forums because I haven't gotten that error since that day.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

serebralassazin posted:

I forgot to update the thread about that issue I was having the other day. I'm guessing it was something up with the forums because I haven't gotten that error since that day.

Love those bugs that just die with time!

Do report back if it starts happening again though. I've seen weirder poo poo happen with the networking and it's always nice to fix.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

xzzy posted:

Haha unless Amazon has special privileges to talk about iOS 7 support in their Kindle update I'm sure the NDA isn't quite that strict.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Fallom posted:

Haha unless Amazon has special privileges to talk about iOS 7 support in their Kindle update I'm sure the NDA isn't quite that strict.

I'm not sure whether the quoted release note is an example of an extra careful developer or someone poking fun at extra careful developers.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably the note was referring to some other future update.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I have the missing-images issue too. I haven't checked too many but all the ones I've checked (like this one) have been hosted at minus.com.

(Not sure that links to the right post, sorry. But everything Say Nothing posted in that image thread comes up blank.)

Lazlo Nibble fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 17, 2013

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
My suggestion is please make it so flags are shown in fyad, and if possible the link copied to clipboard on long press, thank you

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Only NINE new downloads of Awful yesterday? What the gently caress is the point if nobody's gonna use the app...

Actually there have been over 14,000 downloads of Awful since it came to my App Store account about ten months ago. There are 181,875 users of these forums. Since I have absolutely no idea how to translate app downloads into number of users, I leave any conclusions up to you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Looks like some turbonerd owns 13,999 different phones with the app. He likely flips items in SA mart off unsuspecting goons.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
I'm also having the missing images from minus.com problem, for at least the last week or two. It sucks, I really prefer using the Awful app over any other way of browsing the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Keska posted:

I'm also having the missing images from minus.com problem, for at least the last week or two. It sucks, I really prefer using the Awful app over any other way of browsing the forums.

Alright I'm thinking one last update for Awful 1 to fix this.

While I'm doing that, are there any glaring problems on iOS 7 that make Awful 1 unusable? I don't care how lovely something looks, but if something outright doesn't work I'll have a go at it.

• Locked thread