Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Their little sprint trader is kinda being hounded by this light cruiser. :v: That aside, a lot of things can happen and I'd like a generally functional battle system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
In that case, the chance of a random light cruiser being good enough to resolve anything north of 3 degrees of success seems pretty slim. That said, three lance hits on a sprinter is basically going to trash it so play it how you will.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Elukka posted:

Okay, so just to make sure I've got it right: Any lance will score an additional hit every three degrees of success.

Up until today, this is what I believed was the case, but I just spent about half an hour reading and rereading a few pages and have come to a different conclusion based on two things: The example box on page 221, and this from the most recent errata:

RT errata 1.4 posted:

Strength (page 219): The first bullet point under Strength reads: “This is the maximum number of hits a macrobattery can land on an enemy ship.” It should instead read: “This is the maximum number of hits a macrobattery or lance can land on an enemy ship.”

If you look at the example box, they have a lance hitting with four degrees of success, but only scoring a single hit (with critical). It can't score any more, because it only has one strength. A lance battery with strength 2 would score two hits on 3 DoS but nothing else even if it got 6 or more.

Basically, lances are poo poo.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Huh.
Looking like another case where I'm gonna have to come up with my own rules to make it work and the balance is still gonna be rear end afterwards because I am not a game designer.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Regardless, lances are always 'better' in large ship engagements because they ignore armor.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Elukka posted:

Huh.
Looking like another case where I'm gonna have to come up with my own rules to make it work and the balance is still gonna be rear end afterwards because I am not a game designer.
Conveniently, somebody's already fixed it all already.
TL;DR
Macrocannon hits don't total up.
Reduce armour by 12 all round.

Now macrocannon behave like low-pen, full-auto guns in personal combat (so better vs. frigates).
Lances behave more or less like high-pen, semi-auto guns (so better vs. cruisers).

This fixes the fact that as it stands, macrocannon are actually pretty useless in frigate fights (as you need ~4 hits to get through 1 void shield + 15 points of armour and still do some damage whilst lances only need 2).

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

goatface posted:

If at some point you need them to stop giving a gently caress about the normal rules of behaviour, you can have the Rogue Trader acquire them. It's a canonical thing that RT's can pick up whole divisions of Imperial Guard while spreading the good word and then just "forget" to give them back, and as long as they have a reasonable rep with the IG they could probably pick up a small unit by sending a memo to the theatre commander.

Very aware of that. This is mostly a semi-unwilling/unwitting job audition for the reg. Only a scrub RT acquires random yahoos for a highscale pillaging operation. You want a unit where everyone has a combitool and tech-use +10 for when you need everything taken, including the kitchinatus sinkatum

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Now the commissar is experimenting with blatant psychic phenomena. I love these guys.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

One of the other guys in my group took over DMing for a bit and I got to play my Arbiter. We are sent to a high-end sector in a hive city to make a token response to some bullshit report about Xenos spotted in the sector. We go to the local Adeptus Arbites office and find it completely up to the gills in paperwork. Like, stacks and stacks of paper everywhere. Why? The Arbites computer mainframe isn't working and the Administratum is using the Arbites HQ as an overflow archive. Well, our tech priest goes and fixes it. Then we do some investigating and find indications of there being a cult operating in the region. We grow suspicious of the Administratum because the Arbites' repair requests went unheeded for five months, meaning no one spotted from the records that all reports of sexual crime went to zero half a year ago, which is loving impossible unless someone is messing with things behind the scenes.

Lead by my Arbiter and my buddy the Adept we bullshit our way into the Administratum and start knocking heads and flashing badges to get them to explain how the hell the repair request was delayed for five loving months. Turns out the repair request was lost, but the secretary assures us it's probably somewhere in the overflow archive. (The overflow archive is necessary because the chief magistrate volunteered to archive all the paperwork for the entire quadrant to curry favour with his superiors.)

So they lost the Adeptus Arbites's repair request, in the overflow archive. Which is now at the Arbites's HQ.

And then we discovered the chief magistrate and his secretary were running a brothel business on the side (they're probably Slaanesh cultists). The secretary chucked a hallucinogen grenade and tried to escape. Our Psyker dropped on the ground thinking he'd died. My Arbiter started shooting himself in the leg with manstopper rounds to get rid of the worms. The secretary himself thought he could fly and leapt out from the nearest window, plummeting five stories to his death.

Imperial bureaucracy :allears:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ronwayne posted:

Now the commissar is experimenting with blatant psychic phenomena. I love these guys.

I was originally steering clear of the Commissar to avoid execution for lack of moral fortitude, but now I think I should avoid him for being stone cold crazy.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!
Don't be afraid of him. Be afraid of the radical Inquisitor who's covering for him.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Don't be afraid of him. Be afraid of the radical Inquisitor who's covering for him.

Antti posted:

Gigantic clusterfuck

I love everything about this, and there is nothing that hallucinogen grenades can't make better.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hodgepodge posted:

Secutors are the best thing, just because they get to irradiate people to death.

What! How?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I just had a player threaten to scuttle their ship if the others would not approve of him buying a better life support system/crew quarters, to 'improve the crew's quality of life'. When he got to port, he asked if he could do an acquisition test to buy all of the crew a nice meal and a round of beers.

It was very heartwarming.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

New DH2 news: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4361

FFG was going to try something sort of new but appears they've caved in to grognard demands of backwards compatibility with the old lines and not moving to an action point system for combat. I'm a little saddened by this news.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Eh, I'm not hugely disappointed. By OW they'd actually got the combat working, and DH2 added a bunch more complexity and bookkeeping for minimal gain. I'll miss the wound system making every hit count, but that's easy enough to add to the old crit system (lower wounds & make True Grit default for PCs).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm saddened because, while I'm sure the new DH will work fine when it's OW with Inquisitors, I was kinda interested in the new direction. That, and from what we've seen, I doubt the new sector will be anything to get excited about. I just hope it's not as bad as Calixis was.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Well, that's a hell of a thing. I've been running a DH 2.0 game with my group, who have never played the 40K rpgs before, and it was working pretty drat well.
If they axe the wound/ap system it'll be a serious loss.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kenlon posted:

Well, that's a hell of a thing. I've been running a DH 2.0 game with my group, who have never played the 40K rpgs before, and it was working pretty drat well.
If they axe the wound/ap system it'll be a serious loss.

To be fair the AP system needed a pretty huge overhaul regardless.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

kingcom posted:

To be fair the AP system needed a pretty huge overhaul regardless.

How? It certainly allowed for far more flexibility than the "half action/full action" system in the older games.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kenlon posted:

How? It certainly allowed for far more flexibility than the "half action/full action" system in the older games.

Psychic powers were hugely screwed up for AP cost vs damage of comparative weapons (Then again psychic powers are kind of a mess to begin with).

Weapons below 1 RoF failed to actually keep comparative damage with higher RoF guns and they could not perform the Aim + Called Shot actions and in some cases couldn't even called shot without giving up the dodge.

High rate of fire weapons were far superior in almost all regards except for particularly highly armoured opponents.

The Action Point system didn't really function too well when presented with anything that gave you more AP (such as multiple arms)

The AP system could become problematic when trying to run large numbers (6+ became a huge issue for my group) of mooks (given there are no horde-style mechanics) which as is the current system seems to actively encourage high-number fights (combat builder says 1-3 elites and the rest of the fight should be mooks, that ends up with at least 3 mooks).

Yea that stuff is ultimately fixable but its a far cry from saying that it was any better than Dark Heresy 1e.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

That's a bummer, one thing I've really loved about 40krpg is that they've never seemed afraid to try new stuff with each line.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

That's a bummer, one thing I've really loved about 40krpg is that they've never seemed afraid to try new stuff with each line.

Theres nothing saying that new stuff isn't going to be used honestly. Just that its going to be more in line with the old system. I would make the assumption that the AP system is going to get dropped though.

Though to be fair each line wasn't hugely different. They each tended to do a couple of big change per system. Rogue Trader changed the money and did ship stuff, Deathwatch changed the career system and gave us hordes, Black Crusade dropped the career system and changed single/semi/fullauto attacks. The OW added the buddies and the mini-hordes.

Each nice little changes that helped do their specific system a little better.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If the rules do end up very similar to Only War people still have access to the current beta rules at least. Even if they do away with AP I hope the rules don't just become powered down Only War. Do we really need a book for that? With it's modular system of advancement it's the easiest book to move into a new setting.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Tias posted:

What! How?

Look for the Rad-Cleanser in the IH. I think it's in at least one if the RT books as well. They're hard to find outside of archeotech ruins- and the hands of secutors on forge worlds.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I am majorly disappointed, my group was really enjoying the AP and wound systems for the most part. On the other hand, no one is a psyker so I don't know how badly those powers messed with it.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
I was wanting WFRP 3e but in the 40k universe.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Has there been any hint of a release date yet for DH2E? Usually FFG betas don't last very long.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

They said the next update, which will basically be a whole new beta rulebook, will come out in November. Figure a month or two for beta testing after that, then another year for art, printing, and distribution.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I just want to say that the Calixian Infantryman's Portable Communications Trancription Device is the best entry in OW and possibly the whole FFG range.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Where can I find that entry?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

OW Core book under one of the gear and equipment sections.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Would it be ok to post a copy of just that entry? Or would that be :filez:?

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Ashcans posted:

I just want to say that the Calixian Infantryman's Portable Communications Trancription Device is the best entry in OW and possibly the whole FFG range.

some commissar posted:

CALIXIAN INFANTRYMAN’S
PORTABLE COMMUNICATIONS
TRANSCRIPTION DEVICE

While the construction of the Calixian Infantryman’s Portable
Communications Transcription Device varies greatly from
planet to planet, its function is vital. Every Guardsman tithed
from a world within the Calixis Sector is expected to have a
rudimentary understanding of its operating procedures so that
he may communicate when Vox-operators are not available.

Typically a gripped cylinder with a reservoir or staining
liquid, the device has also been manufactured successfully on
primitive worlds such as Iocanthos using soft breaking metal
or fissionable residue encased in a strain resistant substance,
usually milled on site. When a staining liquid is used, it can be
manufactured from a variety of substances found throughout
the Calixis Sector including, but not limited to, flora/fauna
compression, animal excretion harvesting, or synthetic means.

This source can often affect the hue of the staining liquid.
The “por-com,” as many Scintillan regiments have come
to call it, is typically issued with locally rendered Calixian
Infantryman’s Portable Communications Notation Devices.
These can be harvested from fauna rendering processes or
created synthetically.
A Poor Craftsmanship Calixian Infantryman’s Portable
Communications Transcription Device is unreliable. Whenever
a Guardsman wishes to make use of one, he must roll 1d10,;
on a 1 or 2, the device fails to function. An Ordinary (+10)
Tech-Use Test will allow the Guardsman to perform the
Drusian Litany of Gesticulation, calling on the power Saint
Drusus to restore the device to working order.

A Best Craftsmanship Calixian Infantryman’s Portable
Communications Transcription Device functions even in
locations without gravity and has multiple reservoirs that
hold different pigments of staining liquid.

:psyduck: What is that even supposed to be?

edit: Oh poo poo, is it a ____pen____? That's hilarious.

MoreLikeTen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 18, 2013

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's a hell of a long description for a pen.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

MoreLikeTen posted:

:psyduck: What is that even supposed to be?

A ball-point pen.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Someone got paid money to write that.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Also a primitive version is a pencil.
You know, more guardsmen could use one. Not everyone knows how to use a data slate.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I was scouring the book for stuff to requisition in Ronwayne's game and found that, although I had to read it twice before I worked out what the hell it was about. It's glorious. I particularly love the bit about a poor-quality version: if you have a lovely pen you have to shake it to get it working again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Clanpot Shake posted:

Someone got paid money to write that.

And laughed his rear end off the whole time.