Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Finished Claire Tomalin's Samuel Pepys: The Unequalled Self today. It's an okay biography of Pepys that's just as much about the Restoration as it is about him. I wasn't entirely comfortable with how often Tomalin interprets passages from Pepys' diary and got the general sense she felt a need to explain his words in her own, but maybe that's unavoidable in a book that's more or less about a book. I did appreciate the legwork she did in putting together his early and later life, the period not covered by the diary, and how she put it in context, especially in other diaries from the same period. Still, I felt sometimes like I was reading a padded out introduction. Next time, I'll probably just read the diary itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Nostratic posted:

Just finished American Psycho, again. I read it once a year or so. Some of the graphic bits still make me uncomfortable despite reading it annually for quite a while. Great book.

Just finished my first re-read of American Psycho. First read it about 12 or 13 years ago in about a week.. This time I took my time and read it over 2 months and enjoyed it even more. But, like you, the violence and gore were tough to read through.

Also finished 1066 - The Year of the Conquest and Zealot - The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth. Zealot was nothing really new, but was a well-written argument about life in Judea and Palestine under Roman rule, the corruption of the ruling Jews and the "messiahs", who from time to time, would arise to challenge it.

It was interesting reading them in parallel in that it wasn't Jesus who created the monstrosity that is Catholicism. It was Paul and his (and subsequently Luke, his student) that condemned humanity to 2000+ years of madness. How much of the Norman conquest was a Papal mandate either with Excommunication or the threat of it. Jesus was against the Roman rule and Jewish corruption and what happens to the Christian church? Turns into exactly that against which Jesus fought.

This admittedly is a gross simplification of it, but it's what stands out to me.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Finished:
Devil Said Bang: Book 3 in the Sandman Slim series, I like the series and I enjoyed it. Got it for under $4 on iTunes so it was worth it. I would read it again it I decide to reread the series.

The Soulkeepers by G. P. Ching: Teenager gets magic god powers and was free on iTunes. Would not read again.

The Decent Series Volume One by SM Reine: Special people kill daemons and angels! Monster slaying people the sword to their witch partner as a shield. I like the fact that angels are just as big of assholes as daemons. Was free on iTunes not sure if I would pay to continue reading.

Once Bitten By Trina M. Lee: Was free on iTunes, about a werewolf who bangs a vampire and gets more magical powers. This of course causes drama because she wants to bang her werewolf guy she has friend zoned and not made a move on in the four years they have been friends. She also hunts bad supernaturals who kill to many people. More in series would have to be under 2 bucks for me to buy.

The free books under sci-fi fantasy in iTunes is great for finding things to take my time. Not good things to read but free.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Four Arguments for the Elimination of Television (1978): Great and very relevant non-fiction work. Ultimately, it's a very conservative vision of technology and its effects on society. The author is a 1960s ad man turned environmental activist. He uses his experience in media to explain the broad effects that television has had on our society--which at the time was relatively unstudied.

There are not actually four arguments; rather, there are hundreds of small arguments fitting around four broad categories. His broadest argument, is that TV (and technology generally) is not neutral in the sense that, while it is a tool of corporate power, its effects are negative regardless of who has control. Further, it unifies experience, separates us from nature and from traditional human contact that has been the norm for millions of years, it creates the illusion of knowledge (little of it is actionable), it is disturbingly similar to sensory deprivation (a method of mind control), etc.

I've long suspected television was more dangerous than most people gave credit. Now I have the examples and vocabulary to explain why that is much better.

I'm reading his 1990 sequel, In the Absence of the Sacred: The Failure of Technology and the Survival of the Indian Nations, now and it's also quite good.

Edit:

It also gave me some insight into a problem I've been thinking about for many years now, the idea that life often seems far away, detached and difficult to grasp as real. This is especially noticeable to me when I consider the wonders of nature. I try to explain this to some people, but most don't understand what I mean. I'm glad the author here touched on it.

Mander writes that while our conscious minds may know the difference between television imagery and the real thing, something subconscious does not. This inability to separate the real from the image had deadened something inside of us. Here he describes his visit to the Dalmatia straits:

Jerry Mander posted:

“I could ‘see’ the spectacular views. I knew they were spectacular. But the experience stopped at my eyes. I couldn’t let it inside me. I felt nothing. Something had gone wrong with me. I remembered childhood moments when the mere sight of the sky or grass or trees would send waves of physical pleasure through me. Yet now on this deck, I felt dead. I had the impulse to repeat a phrase that was popular among friends of mine, ‘Nature is boring.’ What was terrifying even then was that I knew the problem was me, not nature. It wasn’t that nature was boring. It was that nature had become irrelevant to me.”
He continues...

quote:

“It was obvious to me from my own work that something was wrong with what people were understanding and what they weren’t. A new muddiness of mind was developing. People’s patterns of discernment, discrimination and understanding were taking a dive. They didn’t seem able to make distinctions between information which was pre-processed and then filtered through a machine and that which came to them whole, by actual experience.”

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 10, 2013

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Just finished reading Midnjght in the Garden of Good and Evil for the first time.
Anyone else read that and immediately want to go visit Savannah?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I just finished Atlas Shrugged. It was an interesting book, but I can't get all hyped about it like some people.

I'm starting My War Gone By, I Miss It So by Anthony Loyd. I hear it's a really good book. Looking forward to this one.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Just finished MaddAddam, the third book in the trilogy by Margaret Atwood. It's about as enjoyable as the second in the series, somewhat uneven but gives some pretty good closure to the characters and the world building. The first two-thirds are surprisingly light in plot, a lot of it traces the origins of Zeb and his brother Adam who were integral in the second book. A fair bit is given to the uneasy alliances formed between the surviving humans and the genetically engineered species that have flourished in the wake of, essentially the human race. The conflict is mostly an afterthought; the real hitter is the extended epilogue that was surprisingly touching and ends with a glimmer of hope.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Parasite, the first book of Mira Grant's Parasitology series. Although the medical tapeworm idea is pretty neat, I can't say that it breaks any new ground, but if you're looking for a science-thriller a la Crichton (with a dash of body horror), pick it up when it comes out around Halloween.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie, which was a light-hearted buffer between Blood Meridian and The Iliad. It's funny and exciting, and it's a treat to read just for how smoothly the stakes are raised after each chapter. I could read stories about noirish investigators forever, I swear. :allears:

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just finished Dust by the prolific Hugh Howey, the third and maybe final installment in the Wool series. It's set in the future where the remnants of civilization are living in an underground silo, most not knowing the past and what's outside can't be spoken of.

Dust started a little slow and I was grasping for the old books to remember who was who and what happened when, even though I've read all of them in only the last year... they're so readable they get read within a week or two and things/people/places tend to blur. Shift covers some different times and places but Dust follows the same period as the first.

About a third of the way in it became close to unputdownable and was pretty intriguing all the way to the end. These books aren't great literature or anything but highly readable and the futuristic world Howey created was fascinating and believable. Maybe it helps I'm a big fan of the Fallout games. Was happy with the conclusion and it leaves room for a future trilogy that he could probably churn out in 2 months.

Also recently finally finished Blood Meridian which I've been reading for about 3 years! This was a book that made me pick up a LOT of other books but I kept returning for a chapter here and there until the last few chapters were a straight compelling roll to the finish. And with a sigh of relief that fat bald fucker can go dancing into the night and I can stop feeling guilty about reading about anything but him and the kid. Good book, glad I finished it.

e: I think reading about all the other people finally finishing Blood Meridian recently helped me on the last legs. Good job, thread!

art of spoonbending fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 14, 2013

Ethnic Hairstyles
May 23, 2009

Here are the Thomas Mann stories I have finished and am up to: Death in Venice, Tonio Kröger, Mario and the Magician, Disorder and Early Sorrow, A Man and His Dog. Here are the plots of them: I want to gently caress a child, I'm a homo, I'm a homo, this child wants to gently caress, look at this dog. The dog story is super long and the Mario story was stingy at best with its hints about Magikoopa's origins.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Fordlandia, by Greg Grandin, is about a series of attempts by the Ford Motor Company of starting a rubber plantation and model village in the Brazilian Amazon. It was terribly mismanaged and shut down after World War II, millions of dollars and many workers' lives having been spent trying to get it to work. The book is extremely depressing, and documents quite thoroughly man's inhumanity to man.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Just finished ordinary horror, recommended to me based on my taste in horror movies and my enjoyment of House of Leaves.

It was not worth the paper on which it was printed.

Panic Attack
Oct 29, 2012

Float like a bulldozer
Trying to catch a butterfly
Adolf Hitler, My Part In His Downfall which is of course by Spike Milligan. I'd honestly not heard of the book until recently, and plan on chasing up the next volumes- though to my delight I find there are seven in total. It's nice to read an account of these dark times through the words of a fantastic comedian, but at the same time he doesn't downplay the darkness of it all. I sincerely regret not reading it sooner.

Oh and this thread is just lovely.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I just finished The Long Earth, which was co-authored by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. It's about a cheap, easily fabricated device that lets people "step" to alternate Earths. The important thing is that all of these Earths, every single one, is devoid of civilizations, they're basically untouched wildernesses.

The premise is neat, but unfortunately, the book is mostly all premise, and little plot. The book is 424 pages long, and most of the first 200 pages are split between exploring the societal ramifications of the premise, and following the two main characters as they go on a long-distance journey to see what's out there in the distant reaches of "the Long Earth". There is a third main character, but she doesn't really show up until about 270 pages in.

I also found it hard to swallow the premise that huge numbers of middle class people would pack up their lives and families, abandon all the modern technology and conveniences, and go live like pioneers - some even leaving behind their own children who are physically unable to "step". This seems a lot more like the fantasy of the author than anything that real people would actually do.

The back of the book talked about the next in the series, which I guess this was setting up, but I think I'll pass. The characterization of the people is fine, but the rest is not. I think I'll blame this on Baxter, because Pratchett can definitely pace things properly and he has a plot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I also found it hard to swallow the premise that huge numbers of middle class people would pack up their lives and families, abandon all the modern technology and conveniences, and go live like pioneers - some even leaving behind their own children who are physically unable to "step". This seems a lot more like the fantasy of the author than anything that real people would actually do.

It's more the fantasy of American Libertarians, and I can entirely believe that they would do it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Panic Attack posted:

Adolf Hitler, My Part In His Downfall which is of course by Spike Milligan. I'd honestly not heard of the book until recently, and plan on chasing up the next volumes- though to my delight I find there are seven in total. It's nice to read an account of these dark times through the words of a fantastic comedian, but at the same time he doesn't downplay the darkness of it all. I sincerely regret not reading it sooner.

From memory, the subsequent volumes get darker and darker until there's one that almost devoid of humour at all. Be warned.

I just finished Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

I'll grant that given its length - a treekiller even compared to other treekillers - it read easily. There's a lot of talking heads and exposition (hell, most of the book is talking heads and exposition) but it kept my attention until about 3/4 of the way through.

However, at the end I'm not sure what to make of it. There's a lot of "I saw a qwarg sitting on a frob" which serves to make the setting seem more exotic than it actually is. Actually, I kept seeing bits and pieces of actual history and other stories renamed and repurposed. Given the central conceit of the book, you might argue this is no accident. And there's a strange juvenile air to the characters, a group of young monks, that kept reminding me of Harry Potter or The Famous Five. (Our earnest and idealistic heroes investigate a mystery, benevolent adult figures occasionally pop in to scold them or say they're on the right track.) Although the resolution is foreshadowed right from the beginning of the novel - care of endless reams of Greek philosophy and speculation - it still didn't sit right with me. We shall do magic with maths!

In summary, I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

It's more the fantasy of American Libertarians, and I can entirely believe that they would do it.

Okay, but not everyone is an American or a Libertarian. The book doesn't make a clear case for why people would chuck everything and move. There's a couple sentence fragments about leftist activists undermining values and free trade sending jobs overseas, but that's about it. (I should note that there are some key restrictions on stepping that are why people have to basically start from scratch: Only sentients can step, anything made of iron or steel gets left behind when you step, and you can only take what people are holding.)

There's one set of characters who are supposed to be representatives of the types of people who would travel 100,000 Earths away, but the case they make is unconvincing. The mother is cold and completely willing to abandon her non-stepping son, and the software engineer father doesn't even want to go, but does anyway for his wife.

The book is set in about 2025, 10 years after Stepping started. The adults of 2015 grew up in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. The book has to sell why all those people will throw technology out the window and go back to an agrarian society, and it doesn't do that. It doesn't ruin the book on its own, but it's not handled well.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 16, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The book is set in about 2025, 10 years after Stepping started. The adults of 2015 grew up in the 70's, 80's, and 90's. The book has to sell why all those people will throw technology out the window and go back to an agrarian society, and it doesn't do that. It doesn't ruin the book on its own, but it's not handled well.

You could easily assume worldwide economic collapse; the middle class is already vanishing now, another major bank crisis and free farmland would start to look like a really good idea to a lot of people.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Just finished Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock. I grew up in an area about an hour and a half from the real Knockemstiff, Ohio, and I really recognized and empathized with many of the characters in this book. So grim, but still amazingly touching and human. I highly recommend it. Imagine William Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy smashed together, and you're in the neighborhood.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

tonytheshoes posted:

Just finished Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock. I grew up in an area about an hour and a half from the real Knockemstiff, Ohio, and I really recognized and empathized with many of the characters in this book. So grim, but still amazingly touching and human. I highly recommend it. Imagine William Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy smashed together, and you're in the neighborhood.

I hope you have or plan to read his novel, The Devil All the Time. I really enjoyed it.

I would also say fans of Daniel Woodrell (writer of Winter's Bone) will enjoy Pollock. Pollock, in most cases, is a more graphic and extreme version of Woodrell.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You could easily assume worldwide economic collapse; the middle class is already vanishing now, another major bank crisis and free farmland would start to look like a really good idea to a lot of people.

I don't want to derail this thread any more so this is my last reply: My point is that I shouldn't have to make assumptions. The author is supposed to paint the picture of the world, and he didn't do the best job. There was mention of an economic collapse, but only because so many people up and left. It was the effect of the migration, not the cause.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

nate fisher posted:

I hope you have or plan to read his novel, The Devil All the Time. I really enjoyed it.

I would also say fans of Daniel Woodrell (writer of Winter's Bone) will enjoy Pollock. Pollock, in most cases, is a more graphic and extreme version of Woodrell.

The Devil All the Time is definitely on my list! I'll check out Woodrell. I have a copy of Winter's Bone somewhere, so I need to get to that one as well.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Finished reading The Notebook, The Proof and The Third Lie. Highly recommend if you like your literature to make you feel ill and vaguely upset. I will never look at Jedward the same way again.

One of my favorite books right there. Out of curiosity, which book made you the most upset? The Third Lie never fails to make me bawl.

As for me, I've had a lot of misses with books, by which I mean like, wowing me. Mostly, I've just been enjoying the ride, which is fine in its own way, but I kinda miss being wowed.

Things I've read recently include:

The World's Religions by Huston Smith. This was for a class, but I wanted to read it anyway. This is a good introduction to religious studies because it gives you a good overview of a bunch of religions and their history. The only problem is, I found it incredibly dry.

The Years of Rice and Salt- I feel bad I didn't get more out of this one. I really liked the premise, but it felt like the book was wasted on me, like there was something I didn't get I was missing.

Snow Crash- I've heard this book is dated, and perhaps it is. I guess I appreciate it for what it is, but maybe I'm not much of a cyberpunk person. Also I really really hate present tense.

Of these, I probably liked Rice and Salt best, but yeah, none of them particularly wowed me.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
I just finished Salt Sugar Fat

Really interesting, but good god it is kind of horrifying. Knowing processed foods are bad for you is very different from finding out just HOW bad they are. Yet at the same time, the science of it is really great to learn.

Ethnic Hairstyles
May 23, 2009

Finagle posted:

I just finished Salt Sugar Fat

Really interesting, but good god it is kind of horrifying. Knowing processed foods are bad for you is very different from finding out just HOW bad they are. Yet at the same time, the science of it is really great to learn.

Dude... what was some of the science?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Finished Dan Simmon's Ilium.

The start of the novel is a great hook - a 20th century historian, resurrected by what appears to be the ancient Greek gods, is sent to observe and report on the Trojan war, which is in progress. Meanwhile, a group of humans living idyllic lives on Mars start to face questions about how their world is run, while a group of machine intelligences in Jovian orbit hatch a plan to investigate mysterious activity on the long abandoned inner planets ...

It's perhaps unsurprising that the novel can't answer all the questions it raises and seems almost disinterested in doing so, perhaps putting it off to a sequel. But it's got rousing action, great scenery and is very pacey. I finished this in a few days. Highly recommended for a good exciting read in which nano-assisted Greek heroes clash and very human machines explore a hostile planet.

Note that Simmons is one of those authors that went off the rails after 9/11. It shows up in a few places in this book ("effete liberals", "foolish academics") but is largely ignorable.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

outlier posted:

Note that Simmons is one of those authors that went off the rails after 9/11. It shows up in a few places in this book ("effete liberals", "foolish academics") but is largely ignorable.

Unfortunately it's... not as ignorable in the sequel.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Groke posted:

Unfortunately it's... not as ignorable in the sequel.

drat. I mean, Ilium has a lot of very manly men (the idea of a Greek army facing down the gods is awesome, but you don't want to think about the logic of it too much, i.e. nukes) but it was an entertaining bit of fluff. Would I be right in guessing that the sequel doesn't really answer a lot of the overhanging questions?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Basically the only thing I remember from the sequel was that almost everything was the fault of those drat Muslims; oh, and the French for being cowards and everything was so stupid that it retroactively made the first book worse.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Caustic Chimera posted:

One of my favorite books right there. Out of curiosity, which book made you the most upset? The Third Lie never fails to make me bawl.

The part that was most viscerally upsetting was in The Proof, where he finds the child hanged beside the skeletons. I've read a lot of gorey horror novels and American Psycho-style scenes, but only the elevator scene in Dhalgren and those books have ever made me feel that absolute horror and despair where your stomach drops like you're on a fairground ride and you just stare at the page in shock.

Other things I have read recently: on recommendation from the Pacific Rim thread, I read Lost Christianities, and Chesterton's Orthodoxy. Lost Christianities was a great overview of various gospels and lines of theology that didn't become orthodoxy, and included some pretty tasty facts (I really enjoy the idea of there being an academic paper about how Jesus was bumming his disciples). I liked that the author was sympathetic enough to his readers to put frequent reminders of what each group was about, rather than just name-dropping them. Orthodoxy I would advise everyone to read just for the sheer joy of it - my copy now has particularly brilliant passages and phrases highlighted all over it - whether or not you find it intellectually persuasive!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I just finished The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. Very good apocalyptic fantasy that finds the right balance of character development, world creation, and just plain terror. I'm not a good review writer, but I will wholeheartedly recommend this book to you. Started the sequel The Desert Spear immediately after completing it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner.

Grabbed this because Goodreads recommended it to me, not knowing what I was getting into, but that was a hell of a book. I threw a review up on my Goodreads but I'm not sure it actually makes any sense.

Basically, written in the 70s, it presents a terrifying vision of a future where we keep abusing antibiotics and pesticides, dumping our poo poo into mine shafts and the oceans and electing idiots into office. My only real criticisms are that it probably could have been half as long and still been just as good, and there were a lot of characters to keep track of.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the scifi thread:
Just finished up a recommendation from a friend.

The Translators by Gord Rollo.

I already liked Crimson and Jigsaw Man, so I knew there was a good chance I'd like this book, but drat it blew me away.

It's really, really good. It lives up to the description of "apocalyptic thriller" that the author gave. He... I dunno, he takes a LOT of random poo poo and somehow mixes it all together to have it work all perfectly. The book covers stuff from incan temples to pyramids to loch ness and it just somehow gels into this great read.

It's one of the few books I've read this year that I say is worth picking up.

I'd describe it better, but the way he merges everything into the main plot kinda kills the ability to give any more details without spoiling something else about the plot.

5$ on kindle at the moment (and I assume everywhere else) with the paperback being something like 12.95?

Honestly, the cover art sold me on it before the story did. Just loving look at it :

He had a cooler looking pic of an incan temple, but I can't find it at the moment.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Two Graves, the latest Pendergast book by Preston & Child.

The entire series are very good beach reads. Main character is a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Elric of Melnibone.

Did I mention they are good beach reads? Wouldn't read them anywhere else though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Don't wanna spam up this topic too much, but I just finished Last Light by Terri Blackstock and holy crap that was an irritating book.

It starts off really well, interesting idea, interesting conflict, and then around halfway through it turns into A Christian God is a Perfect and Loving God and HE Will Save Us All if We Only Believe - The Book. I wanna know why engines wouldn't work when they're so simple, I wanted just a couple of primary school level experiments with copper and magnets! Instead I got "God did it". So disappointing...

I'm sure I got the recommendation for it off here, have any of you guys actually read it? If you've got it on your To Read lists, I wouldn't bother if I were you. :smith:

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

I just finished A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov.

A fascinating book and a nice way to kick off this wild foray into Russian literature. The last couple chapters were powerful poo poo. That said, I don't think I absorbed nearly enough on the first read. If I have the time, I'd fancy a reread, perhaps with a different translation and set of notes.

Also, Inch'Allah Dimanche by Yamina Benguigui. I'm not sure what I expected out of this, but it was so underwhelming. :smith: It's got a lot of drama with very little substance to it. Just a series of sad things that don't hit you nearly as hard as they ought to.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Nettle Soup posted:

Don't wanna spam up this topic too much, but I just finished Last Light by Terri Blackstock and holy crap that was an irritating book.

It starts off really well, interesting idea, interesting conflict, and then around halfway through it turns into A Christian God is a Perfect and Loving God and HE Will Save Us All if We Only Believe - The Book. I wanna know why engines wouldn't work when they're so simple, I wanted just a couple of primary school level experiments with copper and magnets! Instead I got "God did it". So disappointing...

I'm sure I got the recommendation for it off here, have any of you guys actually read it? If you've got it on your To Read lists, I wouldn't bother if I were you. :smith:
Has she ever been recommended here, you sure it wasn't somewhere else? Because that's pretty much what she does, her books are all firmly in the Christian fiction genre. She's a very popular author in that genre, to be sure, but that's pretty much what you'll get.

I read The Sound and the Furry (agh the puns), the latest (#6) of the Chet and Bernie mystery series. These are about a private detective and his dog, told from the point of view of the dog. It was a lot of fun and quick and easy to read. I've only read this and the first one, but this is a series I'd read more of if the ebooks go on sale or something (I grabbed the first one because it was $.99 at some point). I think the author may be running short on situations to put them into and have Chet (the dog) save the day at the last minute, and the characters are often cartoonish, but they're very entertaining.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I like to pretend that christian fiction stopped existing after the CS Lewis/GK Chesterton era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Has she ever been recommended here, you sure it wasn't somewhere else? Because that's pretty much what she does, her books are all firmly in the Christian fiction genre. She's a very popular author in that genre, to be sure, but that's pretty much what you'll get.

Yeah it was this thread, but it was the same title/genre, different author. :eng99:

The even more :downs: thing is, I'm pretty sure I purchased the right book at some point and just haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Oh well, at least it got a nice long review out of me and I have another author I know to avoid, I can never review books I actually liked.