Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Guys, I think I've reached the point of Too Much Lego. :saddowns:

I put together both the Avengers Helicarrier Escape and the Lex Luthor Mech last night, and instantly thought "Well, what am I going to do with these?", and honestly I have no clue. I've got tubs of just unsorted bricks and while I want to go through them and categorise, ehhhh. I'm eager to see what the next modular is going to be, but I think for now I'm going to be stepping away from it all.

Just set limits for yourself, like make a list of stuff you wanna buy that's coming out and that's it. No random stuff:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or become one of those evil resellers and build your retirement on an empire of lego!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I genuinely could open my own bricklink store.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I've hit a similar point myself. Funnily enough, ALSO having just built the Avengers escape set (which honestly just wasn't too great. I'm not a fan of those types).

I think that I have too many sets built right now that I enjoy (all the galaxy squad stuff, second wave Chima, some creator sets), but it's just...sitting there. If I had like a garage, I would go full-on with making some Lego town. As it is, I have a living room drowning in the stuff.

Breaking some stuff down and sorting it seemed to help. But yeah, this plastic addiction is not helped at ALL by my other one for Transformers.

(Also a few weeks ago I posted a big drop ship I was making and someone gave me advice and people gave compliments. Thanks! I sorry I am terrible about posting.)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I've probably got more technic pieces than 95% of the bricklink stores out there, I keep telling myself I'll build a huge GBC machine but never end up starting it.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I went to my folks house on the weekend and sure enough, my old sets were still there in a drawer, complete and in boxes as I'd left them decades ago. I couldn't bring my M-tron recovery centre or Aquanauts base but I brought my smaller ice planets and some other random ones.

Ice Planet, your candle burnt out long before your legend ever lived.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Captain Foo posted:

Melee weapons are always impractical but totally look cool :)

Now I want to see a mech with one small arm and one big beefy rocket-powered fist with all these pipes and tubes and poo poo coming off it. The 'Roid Droid.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ka0 posted:

I went to my folks house on the weekend and sure enough, my old sets were still there in a drawer, complete and in boxes as I'd left them decades ago. I couldn't bring my M-tron recovery centre or Aquanauts base but I brought my smaller ice planets and some other random ones.

Ice Planet, your candle burnt out long before your legend ever lived.

Ice Planet is the best planet.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Captain Magic posted:

I've hit a similar point myself. Funnily enough, ALSO having just built the Avengers escape set (which honestly just wasn't too great. I'm not a fan of those types).

It exists solely to sell the giant hulk figure.

I needed him to be riding around on the quinjet, so what can you do?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Was browsing a Barnes and Noble aimlessly the other night while waiting for a table to open up for dinner, found a Minecraft set casually tossed on top of a display of MLP figures. Score.

And now I want the other two so I can put them all together :negative:

e: Target's website sells Cuusoo sets and I get 5% off with my Redcard. Looks like I'm dropping $200-5% on Lego tonight

Sockser fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 16, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lego store had transparent red cones in the pick a brick section, I am now replacing all the busted ones I have left over from my childhood, so I'm pretty glad I stopped in.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Scored this for $25 in the Target Clearance Aisle today! http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Seaside-House-7346

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rathina posted:

Scored this for $25 in the Target Clearance Aisle today! http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Seaside-House-7346

See, now that set was totally a fun build. You picked up a great bargain! :)

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Went in to Fashion Valley lego, and I snagged the Granny Cat Lady :3: her cat sweater :3:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luminaflare posted:

...not consciously.

I'd love to see what Capain Foo could do with this, although it is a bit larger than his usual scale.

So, a couple hours of design and 23 and a third hours of rendering later...

Flare Carrier (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

part of the reason these things take so long to render is that I do them at 1600x900, so click through for big.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Have you ever looked into using environment maps? While I do really like the even white backgrounds you use, a using a light map can really crank up the realism on how light hits your model.

Maybe povray can use a light map and leave the background the same, I've never used it so couldn't say.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xzzy posted:

Have you ever looked into using environment maps? While I do really like the even white backgrounds you use, a using a light map can really crank up the realism on how light hits your model.

Maybe povray can use a light map and leave the background the same, I've never used it so couldn't say.

I don't even know what an environment map is :shobon:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a texture that (conceptually) is wrapped around your scene and used as a source of light. They're a special file format saved as a sphere so you can get a full 360 degrees of input. Since these are photos with lots of color variations, the light they produce tends to make for really natural patterns on the object you're rendering.

Some free ones here:

http://www.pauldebevec.com/Probes/

I don't know how to integrate them with povray though, so if you want to play around you're on your own!

But once you figure it out, you can get some results absurdly close to photo realism.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

lego store had transparent red cones in the pick a brick section, I am now replacing all the busted ones I have left over from my childhood, so I'm pretty glad I stopped in.

My Lego store had both trans red cones and trans red round bricks last time I was there so I ended up with about 50 of each. Somehow I'm already out of new trans red rounds.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Captain Foo posted:

So, a couple hours of design and 23 and a third hours of rendering later...

Flare Carrier (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

part of the reason these things take so long to render is that I do them at 1600x900, so click through for big.

Hah, that's awesome. The rail gun itself took me 38 hours to render but that was due to me forgetting to reduce the quality from maximum more than anything else.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Luminaflare posted:

Hah, that's awesome. The rail gun itself took me 38 hours to render but that was due to me forgetting to reduce the quality from maximum more than anything else.

rounded transparent parts are BRUTAL at higher settings.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Call Now posted:

When is/was the United Nations Headquarters supposed to release? Because I've seen it in a retail shop, but it's neither on the online Lego store nor on the Architecture website.

Guys :saddowns:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xzzy posted:

Haven't figured out HDR maps in POVRAY yet (though it does support them), I did experiment with background generation a bit.

Sandstorm - Model S1 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Brickset says that Lego 21018 - UN Headquarters - hasn't been released yet.

Bricks and Bloks says that it will be the third architecture set released in 2013.

So maybe it'll be out before Christmas? :shobon:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xzzy posted:

It's a texture that (conceptually) is wrapped around your scene and used as a source of light. They're a special file format saved as a sphere so you can get a full 360 degrees of input. Since these are photos with lots of color variations, the light they produce tends to make for really natural patterns on the object you're rendering.

Some free ones here:

http://www.pauldebevec.com/Probes/

I don't know how to integrate them with povray though, so if you want to play around you're on your own!

But once you figure it out, you can get some results absurdly close to photo realism.

I think I need more work here...

Cutler's Mirrored Jays - Model S3 by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Captain Foo posted:

Eject! Eject!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Captain Foo posted:

:aaa: it's so shiny!

Make it even shinier! :neckbeard:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Neurion posted:

:aaa: it's so shiny!

Make it even shinier! :neckbeard:

that whole mech is made of metallics, I don't think I could actually get it any shinier without writing custom textures which is really far over my head at this point.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Its like Apollo 1 all over again, except, you know, a mech.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Adregan, got the pretzel girl, thanks!
Now Hansel has found true love!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Still intact after all these decades

I'm going back to my folks' place tomorrow and attempt to lug over the Aquanaut base and recovery centre. I didn't see any of my Blacktrons, Futurons, Castle and Space Police sets so I assume they were lost or given away.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"All these decades?" That's like.. two decades, tops. :colbert:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ka0 posted:

I'm going back to my folks' place tomorrow and attempt to lug over the Aquanaut base and recovery centre. I didn't see any of my Blacktrons, Futurons, Castle and Space Police sets so I assume they were lost or given away.

Wow, those are in great shape. Are they even opened? You could probably flip them on Bricklink pretty easily, and buy unboxed versions to play with with a tenth of the profits.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Pyroclastic posted:

Wow, those are in great shape. Are they even opened? You could probably flip them on Bricklink pretty easily, and buy unboxed versions to play with with a tenth of the profits.

This

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

cyberia posted:

Brickset says that Lego 21018 - UN Headquarters - hasn't been released yet.

Bricks and Bloks says that it will be the third architecture set released in 2013.

So maybe it'll be out before Christmas? :shobon:

October 1 according to several Dutch Lego stores.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Ka0 posted:

Wow, looking at those boxes gives me some sort of nostalgia overload, even more so than looking at pictures of the models. It's the memory of being in the toy shop trying to decide which one to get with my pocket money.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

A few years ago I was really into Lego and bought a bunch of sets. I have all the directions and most of the sticker sheets (unapplied) but no boxes. Since I last moved, I haven't really taken anything out and I'm not using them anymore. I looked on Bricklink and I don't own anything super rare or valuable (lots of $15 and $20 sets) If I'm just looking to unload them, is it better to break them up into sets (bagged since I have no boxes) and sell them individually, or should I just sell them bulk and include the directions? What's the bulk rate for Lego going these days?

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

For some reason, I had really good luck with Bricklink sellers processing and sending my latest orders very quickly. Because of that, I've completed yet another old set.

Blacktron Battrax. It's missing one yellow 1x2 flat, a couple of the patterned bricks and strangely 2 black 1x3 bricks but eventually I'll sort that out.

The whole Blacktron crew and for xzzy I have all five minifigures :p

Oh god, the possible combinations! Until you realize that often how you want them connected is impossible without disassembly and switching connections around.

And that is it for my Blacktron collection. Not doing the Meteor Monitor since it's just a crossover between Blacktron I and II and the color scheme is more Blacktron II. Also there is no way I'm paying for all the base building pieces for the Message-Intercept Base, it's just too expensive.

Next up, back to my real Lego love, Classic Space.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The base was kind of poo poo anyways, it just seemed like a few plates on stilts with some huge windows stuck to the sides.

I say you cobble together a meteor monitor by swapping the white for yellow. I did that as a kid, but the pieces on the wing tips were black because you couldn't get that 1x2 "gun" bit in yellow back then.

Apparently lego did eventually make them, but they're expensive. 70 cents each on bricklink. :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Shampoo posted:

A few years ago I was really into Lego and bought a bunch of sets. I have all the directions and most of the sticker sheets (unapplied) but no boxes. Since I last moved, I haven't really taken anything out and I'm not using them anymore. I looked on Bricklink and I don't own anything super rare or valuable (lots of $15 and $20 sets) If I'm just looking to unload them, is it better to break them up into sets (bagged since I have no boxes) and sell them individually, or should I just sell them bulk and include the directions? What's the bulk rate for Lego going these days?

If everything is still fairly organized, you'll probably make more selling them individually as opened sets than just mixing them together into a bulk lot. But I suppose you could always weigh them and then go $5 per pound to get a reasonable bulk estimate (though depending on the sets, it could easily be more than that if you show what's in the lot).