Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sagebrush posted:

It looked to me (Ep III) like Luke Skywalker was born in space, actually. Not that sending him to live on his father's homeworld is much better though.

Also, regarding the Matrix: everyone complains about how poo poo the food on the hovercraft is because it's just a tasteless nutrient slurry. Cypher is so mad about it that he betrays them all over a steak. Yet all of the humans are covered with various bio-ports that were clearly used to sustain them in the machine pods ("the dead were liquefied to be fed intravenously to the living") and they have the ability to write and run simulations of literally anything imaginable. Why don't they just plug a tube of the nutrient goo into one of the ports and load up Worlds_Greatest_Banquets.exe?

It always bugged me how underutilized the Matrix technology was as a tool in the films. They make it pretty clear that you can have secure self-contained CPUs to hook up to and learn with, and be in no danger from the outside system's influences. There's that one scene in part 2 where the President is talking with Neo, and he mentions how there's all these machines that Zion runs on, but he has no clue how they work. Well then he could take 10 minutes out of his day to hook himself into a private server and have all that information fed right into him! The fact that this isn't limited to knowledge but in fact muscle memory as well (in tandem with the fact that they all are toned thanks to the electro-acupuncture thing they get when they disconnect) means that in a matter of weeks, tops, every single connectable citizen of Zion could be a superman on par with at least Trinity and Morpheus, and possibly able to attain Neo's super-powers within the Matrix itself as well.

Also, something that just occurred to me: We saw what happens when a program picks up a user's call...what happens when some other person hooked up to the Matrix accidentally picks up the phone in their stead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Choco1980 posted:

The fact that this isn't limited to knowledge but in fact muscle memory as well (in tandem with the fact that they all are toned thanks to the electro-acupuncture thing they get when they disconnect) means that in a matter of weeks, tops, every single connectable citizen of Zion could be a superman on par with at least Trinity and Morpheus, and possibly able to attain Neo's super-powers within the Matrix itself as well.

It's pretty plainly obvious that there's some other sort of limitation here, simply because of the fact that Trinity and Morpheus aren't super-powered. It's not like they were just being lazy and sleeping all day. Their explanation in the films is pretty bogus -- I think it's something like Neo was basically pre-selected to be able to transcend the natural limitations of humans in the Matrix, or something nonsensical like that -- but it's not like Neo's the first person to put his mind to being really good at punching people.

It could be that, as far as reaching more "mortal" levels of ability, like Trinity or Morpheus, it may be some natural intuition or ability to mesh at a subconscious level with how the Matrix works. Like, a big part of Neo's training in the first film is him forcing himself to lower his mental handicaps that tell him that he can't make the big jump or whatever. I can accept that some people can "let go" better than others.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Sep 16, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, but at the same time there are the psychic kids at the Oracle's place in the first movie (and it's suggested they too escaped the Matrix later) who actively teach Neo to start breaking away from the Matrix's rules, and as children they were more talented at it than Neo seemed to show at any given point, while being really good at punching people is something very much teachable through the machines. Obviously there was more to Neo than just his abilities, but if we walk any further down this path we start going into the predestination circle-jerking that the whole trilogy spent way too long on.

vvv--and of course it looks like we're saying the same thing if you edit your post while I'm typing mine. Rassa Frassa time manipulation...

Choco1980 has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Sep 16, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Isn't that basically what I was saying?

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009
If I remember the story of the Buddha correctly, after his enlightenment, he went back to teach the ascetics that had taken him in after he left the palace. Though they received the vehicles, they were unable to attain enlightenment themselves. I figure it must be like this with Neo. That Neo does teach and help bring people onto the path by releasing them from the matix doesn't mean that they will be able to attain the same enlightenment.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DrBouvenstein posted:

"Hey Tank, put me in the the Matrix, don't look at the code near where I am at all for like an hour, then place a call to get me out, and don't ask any questions about what I was doing."

There's (yet another) thing I hate about the Matrix movies - they're all in their little not-a-spaceship, they get "beamed" into the matrix, but why do they need to find certain phonelines to escape?

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Matrix related:

How did Cypher get in and out of the Matrix on his own?

You need someone to make the calls to get you in/out, and it's clear that they are more than capable of seeing what an Agent looks like on the code screen, so it seems unlikely he'd be able to go,

"Hey Tank, put me in the the Matrix, don't look at the code near where I am at all for like an hour, then place a call to get me out, and don't ask any questions about what I was doing."

I don't see why this ones a stretch of the imagination really. I envision it going:

Cypher: Hey dude can you plug me in?
Tank: Why man?
Cypher: It's been 6 months and trinities staring at the new guy, I'm off to go balls deep in the lady in red
Tank:....oh, I'll find a magazine

and done

Digihazard has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Sep 16, 2013

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Digihazard posted:

I don't see why this ones a stretch of the imagination really. I envision it going:

Cypher: It's been 6 months and trinities staring at the new guy, I'm off to go balls deep in the lady in red
Tank:....oh, I'll find a magasine

and done

That's how I took it. Do you really want to sit there and watch a guy shiver around in a barber chair before ejaculating all over himself? Cypher talks the night watchman into loving off for half an hour, meets with Smith, pours some of that protein sludge on his pants and goes to bed.

muscles like this? posted:

I doubt that Lucas created the character himself but the CG Clone Wars show introduced a bad guy named Cad Bane.

The cool lone wolf guy from the first movie is called Han Solo and the fat pilot is Porkins. Lucas isn't the most subtle namer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pilchenstein posted:

Apologies if someone's already mentioned any of this, it's a big thread. One thing that annoys the everlasting piss out of me is when someone gets a body part severed and it doesn't fall off right away. The worst example I can think of is Underworld, where Bill Nighy gets a sword through the head and carries on as if nothing has happened for what seems like hours, only for half of his skull to slide off when he blows his nose on the bus home.

Almost as bad is Colin Salmon in Resident Evil, though him being cut into tiny, gravity-defying cubes by lasers was possibly the least irritating part of that film. That whole laser bit had me demented - if that corridor can magically project lasers from the walls from any point at any angle, why would the computer not just light the whole loving thing up at once and make soup? Though by far the worst offender is the opening sequence - the AI detects that the virus has escaped and is going to turn everybody in the complex into the walking dead. Best response it can think of? Kill everybody in the complex, turning them into the walking dead. I know nobody was expecting great things from the big screen version of a terrible game, but the least they could've done was drink less paint while writing it. :argh:

Try Cube. In the opening scene Alderson is diced by a monofilament wire grill which unaccountably fails to break threads in his clothing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Digihazard posted:

Tank:....oh, I'll find a magazine

and done

Hey Tank I'm a furry now wanna watch?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
All this endless Matrix talk reminded me of something. During the "Do you always look at it encrypted?" conversation, Cypher delivers the line "The image translator works for the construct program" and I have no idea why he emphasises "for" like that. It's always really bugged me.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That's because Joey Pants is a bad actor.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Pilchenstein posted:

All this endless Matrix talk reminded me of something. During the "Do you always look at it encrypted?" conversation, Cypher delivers the line "The image translator works for the construct program" and I have no idea why he emphasises "for" like that. It's always really bugged me.

He just wants it to be clear the construct program doesn't work for the translator I guess.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Gorilla Salad posted:

There's (yet another) thing I hate about the Matrix movies - they're all in their little not-a-spaceship, they get "beamed" into the matrix, but why do they need to find certain phonelines to escape?

I don't understand. It's part of the world's internal logic what exactly is wrong with it?

They get beamed in through the telephone lines so they need a telephone line to beam back out.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Jedit posted:

Try Cube. In the opening scene Alderson is diced by a monofilament wire grill which unaccountably fails to break threads in his clothing.

The worst part is he gets turned into cubes. That can't happen! The wire-thingy that sliced him is a grid, so he should have turned into rectangular prisms running front to back.

To become cubes, there would need to be another grid of wire coming in at a plane perpendicular to the first one...actually, it need not be a whole grid, just lines going vertically from the side would do it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brother Jonathan posted:

Schizophrenics must really throw a spanner in the works.

In the short lived MMO Schizophrenic was a character origin for how you knew the Matrix wasn't real.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched Matrix Revolutions a couple of weeks ago after not having watched it in forever and I think that the end of the movie would have been better if Neo had come to the realization that fighting Smith was pointless before the big fight scene. As is the whole thing makes Neo seem like a chump who doesn't actually come to the realization on his own but only because the Oracle left the message for him.

You could still have a big action scene at the end, just have it mirror the fight at the end of the first movie where Smith tries to fight Neo and he just effortlessly blocks/dodges every move.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread but I still can't get over the part in Reloaded where Neo hurls a Smith into a bunch of other Smiths and they all fall over and it makes real-rear end bowling pin sounds. :allears:

edit: Ahaha rewatching it there's a part a bit earlier in the fight where he smacks one with the pole and he makes real domino sounds when he flies through the crowd knocking the other Smiths over. God drat I love sound effects in movies.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 16:26 on Sep 16, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

CJacobs posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread but I still can't get over the part in Reloaded where Neo hurls a Smith into a bunch of other Smiths and they all fall over and it makes real-rear end bowling pin sounds. :allears:

edit: Ahaha rewatching it there's a part a bit earlier in the fight where he smacks one with the pole and he makes real domino sounds when he flies through the crowd knocking the other Smiths over. God drat I love sound effects in movies.

In Jurassic Park, when Nedry slips in the mud and falls down the hill, there is an honest to God, Loony-Tunes-slipping-on-a-banana-peel-esque sound effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZD8Lpuw28

About ~:07 in.

Who's idea was it to put that there? Why didn't anyone go "oh, yeah...uhh, this isn't a cartoon or comedy, or anything...can we get rid of that, please?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DrBouvenstein posted:

In Jurassic Park, when Nedry slips in the mud and falls down the hill, there is an honest to God, Loony-Tunes-slipping-on-a-banana-peel-esque sound effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZD8Lpuw28

About ~:07 in.

Who's idea was it to put that there? Why didn't anyone go "oh, yeah...uhh, this isn't a cartoon or comedy, or anything...can we get rid of that, please?"

I believe the explanation for that was poor timing on another effect as that's actually supposed to be the winch cable he's holding as he falls making that noise.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This is why I like the extended edition of Jurassic Park where they play a foghorn when the T-Rex eats the lawyer and a slide-whistle plays when the kids run from the raptors in the kitchen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something that kind of bugs me about the original Stargate movie is how a big part of the plot is because Daniel Jackson wears that Ra amulet given to him by the old lady. Who just stole it from the dig at the very beginning of the movie.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I watched Matrix Revolutions a couple of weeks ago after not having watched it in forever and I think that the end of the movie would have been better if Neo had come to the realization that fighting Smith was pointless before the big fight scene. As is the whole thing makes Neo seem like a chump who doesn't actually come to the realization on his own but only because the Oracle left the message for him.

You could still have a big action scene at the end, just have it mirror the fight at the end of the first movie where Smith tries to fight Neo and he just effortlessly blocks/dodges every move.

Even the Watchowskis seemed to have disliked their Dragonball esque finale fight scene. In the video game "The Matrix: The Path of Neo" they change it so that instead all the Smiths come together to build a giant Agent Smith ala the Clive Barker story "In the hills, the cities" that you have to fight, where every punch sends Smiths flying off of him.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Didn't they have some offensively stupid author insert before that fight that basically admitted the Smith fight from the movie would have been loving lame and anti-climactic.

Kind of like how it was in the movie!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Considering that after you beat Smith they cut to a montage of Zion with the Queen song "We are the Champions" playing over it I think that whole new ending was sarcastic.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Pilchenstein posted:

I thought I was the only one.

He's basically saying "The image translator works for our simple little construct program but not for the real Matrix 'cause there's too much data for it to process into images." The emphasis on that word, the way he says it, is all wrong. I always figured it was one of those things where they do several takes and the actor is changing his bit slightly with each take, and that's the take they went with. The em-phasis is on the wrong syll-able.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Phanatic posted:

I thought I was the only one.

He's basically saying "The image translator works for our simple little construct program but not for the real Matrix 'cause there's too much data for it to process into images." The emphasis on that word, the way he says it, is all wrong. I always figured it was one of those things where they do several takes and the actor is changing his bit slightly with each take, and that's the take they went with. The em-phasis is on the wrong syll-able.

Yeah, it'd make more sense if he had the emphasis on "construct," indicating it works for the program they made/use, not for the one the machines made/use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0zvGVYva8M

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A problem with The Matrix is how all of the resistance characters other than Trinity, Morpheus and Cypher are disposable. Mouse kind of gets some screen time but that's only the part of the movie where Neo is training. After that he just stops doing things.

I find this amusing, Mouse's character was so poorly treated that you forgot he actually dies in the first movie when the agents burst in. That's why he "stops doing things" in the sequels, he's loving dead.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The best is Tank, who got shot, recovered, killed Cypher, and then "yeah he died from his injuries after the first movie :effort:"

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

The best is Tank, who got shot, recovered, killed Cypher, and then "yeah he died from his injuries after the first movie :effort:"

Contract-related illnesses are the number one cause of movie-gap character death.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, the guy who played Tank got into an argument with the producers because he thought his character was important enough that he should get paid more. They disagreed.

WampaLord posted:

I find this amusing, Mouse's character was so poorly treated that you forgot he actually dies in the first movie when the agents burst in. That's why he "stops doing things" in the sequels, he's loving dead.

No, I meant the rest of the first movie. He doesn't even get a good death scene, just stands there shouting while shooting and then gets killed.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

So he's Tony Montana?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

oldpainless posted:

So he's Tony Montana?

Except Tony did rip a bunch of poo poo up with his gun. Mouse goes through this sequence of unpacking these two ridiculous guns with enormous circular magazines and then manages to do nothing effectual with them, he just gets cut down.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Yeah, the guy who played Tank got into an argument with the producers because he thought his character was important enough that he should get paid more. They disagreed.

No, I meant the rest of the first movie. He doesn't even get a good death scene, just stands there shouting while shooting and then gets killed.

He just gets killed off along with everyone else except the main characters in the same sequence, though. There's no real room for him to do anything. Neo has his training sequence, then they visit the Oracle, then they get attacked, Mouse dies, Morpheus is captured, then the rest of the crew dies. There's no room for him to do anything.

I feel like the only reason people even remember Mouse is because he's the only character younger and goonier than Neo, so naturally he becomes the character some people identify with more than Neo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least he gets those couple of scenes earlier in the movie. Switch and Apoc might as well not be in the movie.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

At least he gets those couple of scenes earlier in the movie. Switch and Apoc might as well not be in the movie.

:geno: "Not like this. Not like this." has become a go to quote for whenever anything bad is happening for me thanks to Switch. One of the best famous last words in cinematic history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECfRp-jwbI4

:allears: It's right up there with the awesome extra moments this thread loves to gush over!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Switch and Apoc might as well not be in the movie.

A shame, I thought Switch had a very interesting proposed arc for the movie which never made it on the screen. (She was supposed to switch genders, due to a RSI that varied from her physical biology.)

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

LeJackal posted:

A shame, I thought Switch had a very interesting proposed arc for the movie which never made it on the screen. (She was supposed to switch genders, due to a RSI that varied from her physical biology.)

Why didn't that make it in? I think that would have been an interesting little plot point, especially considering Lana Wachowskis gender reassignment.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Gorilla Salad posted:

I always thought of this the same way that you (generally) need to dismount a file system before you disconnect the drive it's on from the rest of the system. If files/brains are being accessed by the computer/matrix and the plug gets pulled, you get file corruption/death. The phone line is just a dismount command that ties off communication between the matrix and the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Spalec posted:

Why didn't that make it in? I think that would have been an interesting little plot point, especially considering Lana Wachowskis gender reassignment.

Probably for the same reason the 'human brains as CPUs' plot point was removed. Some executive bleated "It'll be confusing and/or audiences will think its weird and sick. Cut it."

• Locked thread