Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

skipdogg posted:

I work with people in their 30's that do this. I don't understand it. Back when I was involved with our call center we would see a massive spike in callouts when a new hit game or WoW release came out. Who calls into work so they can play a new video game?

Who cares what people use their vacation time/PTO for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rohaq posted:

The term is 'no, don't do this'.

MAC addresses control network traffic at the physical level, if you start having devices with the same MAC addresses on the same network, especially if they're wireless adapters within the same range as each other, prepare for a world of pain.

I'm pretty sure DD-WRT will let you set up multiple access points for the same SSID though, which sounds like what you want. You may still get some short disconnections, but that isn't exactly surprising if the devices are changing which hardware they're physically connecting to.

I meant this thing I guess: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

You can give all of the WDS routers a list of MAC addresses for all the *other* WDS routers, and they will talk to each other over lan so that the laptops can transfer seamlessly from one to another without any reconnection lag. The laptops never realize they are changing to a new AP.

Now, this might not be possible because our APs are spread across different subnets. Guess I'll set up a test environment with two of them.

skipdogg posted:

I work with people in their 30's that do this. I don't understand it. Back when I was involved with our call center we would see a massive spike in callouts when a new hit game or WoW release came out. Who calls into work so they can play a new video game?

I worked for a videogame developer as a playtester, our QA Manager specifically told the whole department to not even think about calling in sick on MW2 launch day. One guy tried and people immediately spotted his gamertag and he was buttfucked the next day by the bosses.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 16, 2013

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skipdogg posted:

How is taking time off to do something you like to do confusing?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

skipdogg posted:

So what do you take days off of work for? Sit on your couch and do nothing? Go on a trip? Touch yourself all day? Every so often I take a random day off and sit and play video games, not necessarily something new, but it's basically a day where I can sit around without anyone bothering me since my gf is at work/school and I can just stare at a flickering image and not think very hard.

e;fb multiple times

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

MF_James posted:

So what do you take days off of work for? Sit on your couch and do nothing? Go on a trip? Touch yourself all day? Every so often I take a random day off and sit and play video games, not necessarily something new, but it's basically a day where I can sit around without anyone bothering me since my gf is at work/school and I can just stare at a flickering image and not think very hard.

e;fb multiple times

Nothing wrong with a mental health day every once in a while.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I couldn't get excited about a game on 7+ year old console. I'll pass unless there's a PC version.

After playing Saints Row IV (which is already out on PC), I can't really get excited for a new GTA game.

"Hey cousin let's go bowling" vs giant purple dildo of doom, also dubstep gun.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I need Saints Row to fail so that Freespace 3 looks like a sound investment.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

18 Character Limit posted:

Such building standards are why I kept a flashlight in my desk for the next time the building power went out so I wouldn't have to descend six flights of stairs in cellphone-lit windowless darkness because gently caress stairwell battery lights when you have building generators. (A massive short circuit in the parking lot quickly killed both the primary and backup building power.)

I recall taking careful steps and thinking hard about just how optional building codes must really be.

A few years ago we had a tornado warning over here. Standard procedure is to sit in the stairwell until the warning is lifted. I'm clausterphobic, and I could NOT stand it, so I ended up running down the stairs to the basement. I ended up geting yelled at for it, but explained either that I'd run downstairs, or i'd freak the hell out, scaring the hell out of other people.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My roommate's swamped at work because it's deer season and their main manager went "see ya, suckers" and disappeared into the woods for the duration. Sucks for them, but I'll be doing the exact same thing in a couple weeks.

I reject this notion that your employer owns your rear end day and night. No less than five people have quit after one day of training here because the ratio of pay to butt-pain isn't favorable, yet they refuse to modify either value, instead just expecting the two people they do have to abandon any idea of time off ever.

This is the same manager who insinuated I was somehow in the wrong for being late due to my class schedule - which they knew about on hire, but hired me anyway because nobody else wants this job

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

How is taking time off to do something you like to do confusing?

I don't know. I'm in my 30's now and scheduling vacation time around a video game release seems to be bluntly honest, loving childish. Calling out of work sick for it is unfathomable.

I've taken mental health days to sit at home and play video games before. Between work, school, raising 2 children, and everything else that comes with the mid 30's 'American Dream' it's the only time I could play a video game. Sometimes you just need to shoot some bitches in the face. I get it.

A guy I work with took the entire HALO 4 release week off for vacation. A grown rear end guy in his 30's with two step kids at home. Maybe it's me but I can't wrap my head around a video game being that loving important to me. I have so much other poo poo going on in my life, playing video games is ranked so far down the list it's below straightening up the poo poo in the garage. I haven't turned my PS3 on since my birthday in February, even if I did find a few hours of free time to turn the drat thing on, it would probably just be wasted doing system updates anyway :/

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Kyrosiris posted:

Who cares what people use their vacation time/PTO for?

I'm just as free to mock them for it

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Adventures in YotJ!

quote:

In order to get the contact information for where to submit this job, answer the following question:

Two yachts are 100 miles apart and travelling toward each other at a constant speed of 10 mph. A helicopter is flying between the yachts at a constant speed at 100 mph. Once it reaches one yacht, it turns around and starts travelling toward the other yacht. It does not loose any time or speed when turning around. How much total distance would the helicopter have traveled once the yachts meet each other?

Email resumes to placenamejobsYYY@gmail.com, where YYY is the numeric answer to the question above. For example, if the answer is 100, then email your resume to fritjobs100@gmail.com

It should be said that "ability to perform basic algebra or literally copy and paste poo poo into Google" is not listed as a requirement, while the problem can be solved either way.

Or even better yet: "I didn't solve the math problem or Google it; I created a Powershell script to just run nslookup SMTP queries until I got an appropriate response."

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MJP posted:

Adventures in YotJ!

It should be said that "ability to perform basic algebra or literally copy and paste poo poo into Google" is not listed as a requirement, while the problem can be solved either way.

Or even better yet: "I didn't solve the math problem or Google it; I created a Powershell script to just run nslookup SMTP queries until I got an appropriate response."

The classic example is a fly traveling between two trains.
Here's a neat anecdote involving physicist John von Neumann:

quote:

Another mathematician knew the quick solution to the Fly problem and wanted to see von Neumann struggle with it. He posed the question and von Neumann responded with the right answer in a few seconds.

"Interesting," said the first mathematician. "Most people try to sum the infinite series."

"What do you mean?" von Neumann replied. "That's how I did it."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

I don't know. I'm in my 30's now and scheduling vacation time around a video game release seems to be bluntly honest, loving childish. Calling out of work sick for it is unfathomable.

I've taken mental health days to sit at home and play video games before. Between work, school, raising 2 children, and everything else that comes with the mid 30's 'American Dream' it's the only time I could play a video game. Sometimes you just need to shoot some bitches in the face. I get it.

A guy I work with took the entire HALO 4 release week off for vacation. A grown rear end guy in his 30's with two step kids at home. Maybe it's me but I can't wrap my head around a video game being that loving important to me. I have so much other poo poo going on in my life, playing video games is ranked so far down the list it's below straightening up the poo poo in the garage. I haven't turned my PS3 on since my birthday in February, even if I did find a few hours of free time to turn the drat thing on, it would probably just be wasted doing system updates anyway :/

I find it interesting that you see this as being irresponsible somehow. Its thinking like this that leads that leads to toxic work environments in small ways.

Shocking as it might seem, there is probably a large amount of people who use vacation time to get away from doing productive things for a small amount of time.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

skipdogg posted:

My mental health trumps everything else. My happiness and mental health trumps whatever my employer might want or need, it trumps whatever my friends or family might need, and it trumps anything else anyone else might feel they want or need.

Period.

My employer does not give a gently caress about my happiness or well being. It is my responsibility to look after myself, and I have plenty of PTO and sick time to make sure that I have what I need.

If you do not have enough time to do the things you enjoy, then you seriously need to re-evaluate your priorities in life, because you are going to have a breakdown one day.

If taking a week off to play a new video game brings me enjoyment, then I drat well will do it. Life's too short to be miserable and working for other people's goals without taking some time off to have some fun.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

MJP posted:

Adventures in YotJ!

HR should probably fix its grammatical errors in its stupid questions first. But, what else would you expect from that sort of HR department, I guess.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

nitrogen posted:

My employer does not give a gently caress about my happiness or well being.

Not necessarily true. In many states there are no requirements for breaks or lunch periods. Most employers provide them anyways. Why? Because people are more efficient and productive when they get breaks.

The same goes for vacation time. It's a productivity booster.

Who the gently caress cares if they stay home to play cookie clicker while watching My Little Pony on Netflix. If they come back to work refreshed and recharged, the vacation did its job.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

I find it interesting that you see this as being irresponsible somehow. Its thinking like this that leads that leads to toxic work environments in small ways.

Shocking as it might seem, there is probably a large amount of people who use vacation time to get away from doing productive things for a small amount of time.

Where did I say this was irresponsible? I have no issue with someone taking a day off to play video games or dick around and be unproductive. I do it all the time. I get something absurd like 32 paid days off a year and if work is slow I'll take a mental health day to burn some PTO no problem. I took a day off work to play Resistance 3 all day and it was fun. I'll putz around the house, run some errands, go shopping whatever.

Scheduling your life around a video game release date though? Yeah, that's a bit much in my opinion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So why is it okay for you to take a day off to play Resistance 3 but it's not okay to take a day or two off to play GTA 5 on release?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Where did I say this was irresponsible? I have no issue with someone taking a day off to play video games or dick around and be unproductive. I do it all the time. I get something absurd like 32 paid days off a year and if work is slow I'll take a mental health day to burn some PTO no problem. I took a day off work to play Resistance 3 all day and it was fun. I'll putz around the house, run some errands, go shopping whatever.

Scheduling your life around a video game release date though? Yeah, that's a bit much in my opinion.

So its the fact that he scheduled around the release date? At this point I don't get what you think is a bit much.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

So its the fact that he scheduled around the release date? At this point I don't get what you think is a bit much.

Compare these two scenarios and see if you can tell which one I think is too much.

Scenario 1:

Hey boss, things look to be slow this week and I have quite a bit of PTO built up, do you care if I take Thursday off for a mental health day? <Goes home and plays a video game he rented at redbox that came out 2 months ago>

Scenario 2:

Hey boss, I know there's a lot going on lately but GTA5 comes out tomorrow and I really need the day off. If I'm not online at exactly 12:01AM tonight murdering pimps and prostitutes my life will literally have no joy in it and my internet friends will thing I'm not cool anymore.

Now maybe I'm loving mental or something, but Scenario 1 I have no issue with, Scenario 2 is what I would call "A Bit Much". Not sure how else to explain it.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

The terrible Document Management System that we use has a conference in November!

GUESS WHO'S GOING

Oh my god, that product used to be Hummingbird DM.

. . . . Listen, okay, I will pay you money to punch some people right in the eye at that conference.

$50 per punch. $100 bonus if you can knock their eyes clean out of their heads. For any upper management or Opentext programmer you can find.

Not Shatner, though. Shatner's alright.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
Do you have an issue with calling out the day after a midnight release of a new movie too?

I call out to sleep, am I the devil?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

skipdogg posted:

Compare these two scenarios and see if you can tell which one I think is too much.

Scenario 1:

Hey boss, things look to be slow this week and I have quite a bit of PTO built up, do you care if I take Thursday off for a mental health day? <Goes home and plays a video game he rented at redbox that came out 2 months ago>

Scenario 2:

Hey boss, I know there's a lot going on lately but GTA5 comes out tomorrow and I really need the day off. If I'm not online at exactly 12:01AM tonight murdering pimps and prostitutes my life will literally have no joy in it and my internet friends will thing I'm not cool anymore.

Now maybe I'm loving mental or something, but Scenario 1 I have no issue with, Scenario 2 is what I would call "A Bit Much". Not sure how else to explain it.

Both scenarios are basically the same imo. Scenario 2 he's at least giving more notice (at least in theory) of his days off. It doesn't matter why. Period. Maybe he needs a mental health day because of how busy it is - I've done that once or twice, and often its the extra boost to get that big project off and going properly. One person burnt out doesn't do much, one person refreshed can kick rear end.

That being said, if he "planned" it months ago, but didn't book it off, and it is busy, then gently caress'em. But only slightly.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
So you're just making a strawman then? How do you know it wasn't the following?

Scenario 3:

Work has been slow lately and this game I'm excited to play is coming out next week. Man, I've got a lot of PTO saved up, maybe I'll take a day off and spend some time playing this game.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When I request PTO, I don't give any reason at all. My boss can choose to imagine that I'm spending the day fishing or drinking or playing video games. He doesn't need to know that I'm going to take a class on performing stand-up comedy.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Whoops, wrong thread.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

skipdogg posted:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

Senario 2 is a bit of a strawman, but as long as proper notice and has adequate time saved, so what?

I mean really the only time I state a reason if I take PTO is for if it's a "Don't call me unless X is burning"

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 16, 2013

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Yeah, I never say the reason I request PTO, ever. My boss does not need to know why I'm taking time off.

So really, the interaction is probably more like "Hey Boss, can I have Thursday off in three weeks?"
Boss: "Sure, put it on the calendar."

You're reading some pretty crazy interactions into this situation.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bless all of you who take so much consideration of whats going on at work before you plan your vacation. Its always a bad time it seems to go on vacation.

I on the other hand plan my vacation around all the fun things I can do, job be damned. It has seemed to work really well for me so far.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Lum posted:

After playing Saints Row IV (which is already out on PC), I can't really get excited for a new GTA game.

"Hey cousin let's go bowling" vs giant purple dildo of doom, also dubstep gun.

Yup. Bought Saints Row IV and played the gently caress out of it for a few days. Bought another copy of GTA IV so that I could play multiplayer with a friend. Apparently there's no Co-op multiplayer, the controls suck (IMO) compared to SRIV and holy poo poo is Roman a whiny, clingy bastard. It's a shame that, from what I've been reading, that this is most likely going to be the last in the Saints Row series. :(

As for the "What's the big deal about taking time off for a game release?" chat, the only reason I can think of that it would be a problem is if a shitload of people on your team did this which slams everyone else with a ton of work. Otherwise, I don't see a problem. Hell, I seem to recall a few people some time ago planning on taking time off for a movie release (can't remember what it was as it was some time ago. Batman Begins, maybe?).

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I'm going to take time next May to go to a horror convention the next state over. I will probably take of the Monday after EVO next year to sleep off the hangover I will have from getting drunk and watching people punch each other in video games.

Taking time off to play video games on release day may seem childish, but if you have the time and no other worries why the gently caress not?

Anyway, we are reaching derailment territory, so for content:

I have had two different computers with different printers randomly start giving an error message that says "The printer has not yet responded...." Then you click and set the default printer and it prints.

gently caress printers.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Oh my god, that product used to be Hummingbird DM.

. . . . Listen, okay, I will pay you money to punch some people right in the eye at that conference.

$50 per punch. $100 bonus if you can knock their eyes clean out of their heads. For any upper management or Opentext programmer you can find.

Not Shatner, though. Shatner's alright.

It's still hummingbird in the back end and install files!

gently caress if I'm going, dealing with it is the worst part of my job.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I once worked in a place that wanted you to give a reason for why you were taking sick time. Not PTO, but sick time, and not just miss 3 days and bring a DR's note, but tell us exactly what you have or take PTO. We tried to get everyone in our group to agree that the only reason we were going to give was "explosive diarrhea" but not everyone was comfortable with that.

Hoping this story ends the derail.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

skipdogg posted:

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

I get it, but when the pre-release announcements for the game start almost two years in advance you have to allow for some fanatics. Scenario 2 might better be framed as "Hey, boss, I'd like to use some of my 10+ remaining days for the year rather than hoping to squeeze some time off into December. How about the 18-20 of September?"

The plus side is I also have been dancing around getting my deceased cosigner off of my car title, I need to spend a huge chunk of a weekday talking to the IRS, etc. Ostensibly I took of the remainder of the week just to play GTA, but even I can't play it that drat much. (though, I did get that car title thing handled Friday so I wouldn't need to dick with it this week.)

Content:
I support video conferencing among other things, and VC seems kind of like a ticketing system in that you have to ensure buy-in at all levels, or the deployment goes south. The execs want it to Just Work™ and never have any foibles or hiccoughs, while IT becomes whipping boy when the room doesn't behave as expected. God help you if the video conferencing solution moves from IT to a separate telephony department.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Nativity In Black posted:

Anyway, we are reaching derailment territory, so for content:

I have had two different computers with different printers randomly start giving an error message that says "The printer has not yet responded...." Then you click and set the default printer and it prints.

gently caress printers.

Today I got to spend entirely too much time trying to explain to a printer install tech that the client was on a domain, and we needed to pass the domain information along with the username when we did SMB scanning. He just kept saying "But I can scan to my laptop, so it works!" over and over.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'll call off of an overnight for a 10 AM event the next day, so I can be awake enough to function for it. I can call it 3 weeks or 2 days ahead, and they still sit on it until the 11th hour and frantically call the other guy on his day off to cover it. He probably thinks I'm a dick, but whatever, I give more than ample notice for my sanity days.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I took more umbrage at the whole "menstruations of my boss" thing than another goon being a goony goon (although I suppose that fits neatly into the goony goon part as well)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm taking off this Friday and next Monday and nobody needs to know why.

Also no tickets today. In fact all I've done today is changed a single line in a config file and pointed out things that were stupid in a meeting.

I think my sole purpose here is to just know things and point out stupid stuff when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Had the production manager come and accost me because some form they fill out just shows "###########" in the date field when printed.

:v: It does that when the inputted text is larger than the field.
:mad: Well, you need to fix this.
:v: I don't really see why it's doing this. 9/13/2013 isn't even half the size of that field.
:mad: No, they write it out like "Friday, September 13th, 2013."
:v: That's your problem. The date shouldn't really have to be written in any other format than MM/DD/YYYY.
:mad: Can't you just make that field bigger? That would be easier.
:confused: You mean you want me to change the file on all thirty computers individually, rather than your department just writing the date the way a normal person would?
:mad: Yes! Have it done by tomorrow morning, please.

I love my job :3:

• Locked thread